Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 6 of 9
Re: Abu Dhabi Rolling Stones show and travel info
Date: February 18, 2014 13:17

Behind the scenes with the army of personnel that support The Rolling Stones

Saeed Saeed

February 18, 2014 Updated: February 18, 2014 13:56:00

The Rolling Stones 14 on Fire tour is a celebration of more than 50 years of the band’s existence. Beginning in Abu Dhabi, the tour then moves on to China, Singapore and Australia before concluding in New Zealand in April. Since The Rolling Stones are not releasing any new material, the shows are mostly a greatest-hits affair with a few obscure tracks and covers to keep seasoned fans engaged.

Shape-shifting show

Despite being involved in mammoth tours by the likes of AC/DC, Black Sabbath and Madonna, 14 on Fire’s tour manager Dale Skjerseth says there are always nerves on opening day.

“It’s a completely different tour,” he says. “We want to make sure that everything is right. I don’t relax until the last chord is played.”

With the band playing at a range of venues and in front of different-size crowds – more than 30,000 tickets were sold for the du Arena show, while Auckland’s Mt Smart Stadium will host about 50,000 people – Skjerseth says The Rolling Stones’ backstage army differs in size throughout the tour.

“People come out, people go back home, depending on the show we are doing,” he says. “The number of people it takes to get the show up, running and take it down will change with the needs of the different stages and different venues. There are a whole lot of moving parts to this tour.”

Interactive platform

The du Arena gig is going to be as up-close and interactive as a stadium show allows. The interactive stage design is based on the band’s iconic tongue and lip logo

The band will be stationed at the tip of the tongue; they can also interact with the crowd via a large, T-shaped platform reaching as far as the first rows of general admission. Those who shelled out the whopping Dh3,295 for early access to the Fire Pit can rush to the edge of the platform for a good chance of touching Mick Jagger’s shiny boots.

Visual highlights

Elegant and dynamic are the visual themes for this tour, explains the lighting director Patrick Woodroffe.

The British designer has been casting artists – from Bob Dylan and Bee Gees to Take That – in the best rays for four decades.

“This is not a group that needs a lot of special effects,” he says. “What they require is a solid performance area – ‘the office’, as Keith Richards calls it – and then a wonderful array of lighting and video to surround them to enhance their performance and to make it easier for them to connect with the audience at the very back of a large auditorium or stadium.”

Backed up

Long-term Rolling Stones fans will know some of the low-key musicians performing behind the group. Backing Jagger on the vocal front are the American R&B singers Bernard Fowler and Lisa Fischer. Both have been performing with the singer for more than two decades.

On the bass is Darryl Jones, who has been the unofficial fifth member of the group ever since Bill Wyman retired in 1993. On the keys is the former Allman Brothers Band member Chuck Leavell, who has been gigging with the Stones since 1981.

“It is an amazing experience,” Fowler says from the band’s rehearsals in Paris. “We have been preparing for over a month and everyone is excited to go out and visit new places.”

Fowler, whose three-decade career has seen him perform with a wide array of artists, from Herbie Hancock to Pearl Jam, labels Jagger as rock and roll’s greatest frontman.

“He is very generous. He has taught me a lot,” says Fowler. “The biggest lesson is to be healthy. To treat my body as an instrument.

“The thing about Jagger is that he is one hundred per cent live. What you will hear is him. There is absolutely no backing tapes like some other acts. He is simply incredible.”

Posted by: harald2002 ()
Date: February 18, 2014 16:02

craylord
Does anyone know in which hotel the Boys are staying?

yes, but it wouldn't be posted here!

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: February 18, 2014 16:17

Choose the set list

[info.thinkflash.ae]

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: February 18, 2014 16:29

They wrote it,and its very appropiate for their new bosses..

"It's just a business, You can pay us in crude
You love these toys, just go play out your feuds

Got no pride, don't know whose boots to lick
We act so greedy, makes me sick sick sick"

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-18 18:30 by ROPENI.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: February 18, 2014 17:45

"... a fine Arab charger"

Visa or MasterCard ?

Posted by: Sici ()
Date: February 18, 2014 18:01

harald2002

and by mail? I'm in abu dhabi now
2120sici@gmail.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-18 18:02 by Sici.

Posted by: skyhawk ()
Date: February 18, 2014 20:46

Is somebody (esp. from Europe / US) already in Abu Dhabi? And if so, could you please tell me if you notice already something of the upcoming event (posters, people in tongue-shirts, etc.)

Posted by: benstones ()
Date: February 18, 2014 21:09

Salan
Infos from Ticketmaster:

I have a question:

Why is there a catwalk who goes until a B-stage in the golden circle??
How will be the stage? It's not the tongue like in the USA tour?

Benjamin.

Posted by: marclaff ()
Date: February 18, 2014 21:43

The stage is the one like Hyde Park.
The end of the catwalk is not a B stage.
Mick goes there to sing many times, keith may be twice and Ron only once.
Charlie doesn't move.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 18, 2014 23:08

marclaff
The stage is the one like Hyde Park.
The end of the catwalk is not a B stage.
Mick goes there to sing many times, keith may be twice and Ron only once.
Charlie doesn't move.

I surely hope Charlie moves his hands and arms

Jeroen

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 19, 2014 00:52

And feet.

Tweet from Mick:

On the UAE now... Went to look at our stage & watched England beat New Zealand in the Under 19s World Cup!

(Good to see he's got his mind on the job! grinning smiley )

Posted by: zgubi ()
Date: February 19, 2014 01:01

I arrived today in Abu Dhabi. Sweet weather, really looking forward to an amazing Opening Night. Safe travels to everyone who's flying in

Posted by: a bigger nut ()
Date: February 19, 2014 02:31

bye bye johnny

The Rolling Stones have arrived in the UAE!

Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie are ready to start their 14 ON FIRE tour on Friday night at Abu Dhabi's du Arena on Yas Island.

See you there!

[www.facebook.com]

Cool !!
It looks the twins taking same model sneaker but different colours.
Anyone know this sneaker? I want!!

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: February 19, 2014 03:13

Manofwealthandtaste

Have they not been celebrating their existence since 2002 more than 10 yrs ago ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-19 07:06 by bv.

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: February 19, 2014 11:38

a bigger nut
bye bye johnny

The Rolling Stones have arrived in the UAE!

Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie are ready to start their 14 ON FIRE tour on Friday night at Abu Dhabi's du Arena on Yas Island.

See you there!

[www.facebook.com]

In addition to wearing same kind of sneakers they stand right next to each other looking comfortable!!!

When was the last time anyone seeing this?

Keith wearing sneakers is cool!

Cool !!
It looks the twins taking same model sneaker but different colours.
Anyone know this sneaker? I want!!

Posted by: Barney ()
Date: February 19, 2014 13:36

Flying to Abu Dhabi tonight and hope to meet lots of Stonesfans from IORR! What a special place to see the Stones.Hope to hear some unique songs.....

Posted by: Sici ()
Date: February 19, 2014 14:26

I'm in Abu Dhabi from 2 days, no Stones pubblicity in the city, quite air....but Abu Dhabi is very beautiful. Now i go in yas island for looking arena.
Sici

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: February 19, 2014 15:46

Would be great if someone could make a photo of the stage grinning smiley

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 19, 2014 16:06

Ronnie Wood: 'We’re getting better every day'
Ronnie Wood talks ahead of Rolling Stones' Abu Dhabi debut about the band’s rehearsals, setlist and how they keep on rolling

Q: You’ve played nearly every venue possible in the world. What’s the buzz about Abu Dhabi within the band?
A: It’s excitement of the unknown. Who knows if they’d even know who we are there. It’s like in China, I’m sure they don’t know what they are looking at, but we hope to turn them on through the music.
Q: There’s a Rolling Stones earthquake going on here at the moment!
A: Great! Love it.
Q: When you come to our capital, what are you hoping to celebrate?
A: A new enlightenment, and a new buzz from a different kind of audience, especially in the early stages. I’m looking forward to going back to Japan and Singapore and Australia — we haven’t been there for a long time. The Far East — Macau and Shanghai — are going to be interesting.
Q: What’s the future for the Stones after this — or is that too far ahead to think about?
A: We’re just taking it one leg of the tour at a time, and we hope — well, the band is getting better and better all the time. We ended on a high at Hyde Park, the band has never sounded better, and we’ve never had such a good thing going between us. We’ll just develop it as we go along.
Q: How do you put a set list together?
A: With great difficulty! [Laughs].
Q: What about a new album?
A: I don’t know — we’ve got to get these gigs over first.
Q: Would you do a live album?
A: That’s up to Mick, the way he feels. Sometimes we do duets with different rock artists over the world, and I think that’s in the back of his mind, to make an album with some of the guests we have.

[m.gulfnews.com]

Posted by: kees ()
Date: February 19, 2014 16:39

Still lots of tickets to buy in almost each section easily

tickets
Posted by: kees ()
Date: February 19, 2014 16:40

Still lots of tickets to buy in almost each section easily

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: February 19, 2014 17:04

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 19, 2014 18:18

I did a one hour biking trip around Yas Island - Abu Dhabi. On my way I passed by the Du Arena of course, and as I returned The Rolling Stones were on stage!

The sound was crystal clear. The view to the stage was clear, nothing blocking the view. I biked fast by as they were into ANGIE. At first I thought it was some taped rehearsals for testing the PA, but when I saw Mick and the rest of thed band on stage I knew this was just another day at work for them... Rehearsals!

The sound was CRYSTAL CLEAR. This is an open air formula one race track stadium where the stage is at the end of a grass field. They have some seated areas at the back and on the side, but there is no stadium bounce echo here, at least not from where I saw them at two different locations. The security was relaxed, even with a nice handshake to welcome me. I was alone outside for a while. After 5-10 minutes people came from the nearby hotels, we were 2 from Germany, 2 from The Netherlands, 1 from Italy, me from Norway and two I wasn't sure about, all in all seven fans who enjoyed the rehearsals.

After Angie we got Paint It Black, Gimme Shelter, Sympathy For The Devil, Doom And Gloom - great fun version with reaggea intro, very very funky and reeggea, wish they could do that one in a Caribean setting, Jamaica may be, lots of guitar playing around in the intro riff, and Mick joking around, then You Got Me Rocking, Miss You and of course - Midnight Rambler with Mick Taylor. Then Keith did Slipping Away, Mick Taylor also on this one.

With a bike handy you can move around fast, and that is important when the distances are big. This stadium is wide, with entries on both sides. As I arrived on the front I was just in time to wave Keith goodnight.

A good night in Abu Dhabi!

Bjornulf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-19 21:36 by bv.

Re: Abu Dhabi Rolling Stones show and travel info + Rehearsals
Posted by: Beast ()
Date: February 19, 2014 18:45

Brilliant news, bv, that you and the other fans lucked out! Thanks for the report. I've been to Yas Island and so it makes great reading as I can picture the scene exactly from your words. I just wish I was there too for the opening night of the tour but I know you'll all let them know we love 'em!

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: February 19, 2014 18:46

So glad you and the other fans got to hear and see some of the rehearsals at Abu Dhabi after missing out last Friday in Paris.
I bet this Friday will be another good day for The Rolling Stones and their fans. smileys with beer

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: February 19, 2014 18:50

great BV. please post some pics if possible

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: February 19, 2014 18:53

bv
I did a one hour biking trip around Yas Island - Abu Dhabi. On my way I passed by the Du Arena of course, and as I returned The Rolling Stones were on stage!

The sound was crystal clear. The view to the stage was clear, nothing blocking the view. I biked fast by as they were into ANGIE. At first I thought it was some taped rehearsals for testing the PA, but when I saw Mick and the rest of thed band on stage I knew this was just another day at work for them... Rehearsals!

The sound was CRYSTAL CLEAR. This is an open air formula one race track stadium where the stage is at the end of a grass field. They have some seated areas at the back and on the side, but there is no stadium bounce echo here, at least not from where I saw them at two different locations. The security was relaxed, even with a nice handshake to welcome me. I was alone outside for a while. After 5-10 minutes people came from the nearby hotels, we were 2 from Germany, 2 from The Netherlands, 1 from Italy, me from Norway and two I wasn't sure about, all in all seven fans who enjoyed the rehearsals.

After Angie we got Paint It Black, Gimme Shelter, Sympathy For The Devil, Doom And Gloom - great fun version with reaggea intro, very very funky and reeggea, wish they could do that one in a Caribean setting, Jamaica may be, lots of guitar playing around in the intro riff, and Mick joking around, then You Got Me Rocking, Miss You and of course - Midnight Rambler with Mick Taylor. Then Keith did Slipping Away.

With a bike handy you can move around fast, and that is important when the distances are big. This stadium is wide, with entries on both sides. As I arrived on the front I was just in time to wave Keith goodnight.

What a wonderful story

Thanks for sharing.

fly out tomorrow evening. Land Friday morning.

I'm as giddy as a school girl. Haven't been this stoked for a gig in ages.

\m/

Boys. You got Me rocking!!!!!

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: February 19, 2014 19:47

bv

After Angie we got Paint It Black, Gimme Shelter, Sympathy For The Devil, Doom And Gloom - great fun version with reaggea intro, very very funky and reeggea, wish they could do that one in a Caribean setting, Jamaica may be, lots of guitar playing around in the intro riff, and Mick joking around, then You Got Me Rocking, Miss You and of course - Midnight Rambler with Mick Taylor. Then Keith did Slipping Away.

Wow... great story. Good for you.

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: February 19, 2014 20:03

Sici
harald2002

and by mail? I'm in abu dhabi now
[email protected]

Ask any cab driver

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: February 19, 2014 20:05

schillid
bv

Wow... great story. Good for you.

No Taylor on SA, only on MR. So it will probably be the same as the former tour.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 6 of 9

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1815
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home