Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 4 of 9
Re: Abu Dhabi Rolling Stones show and travel info
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: February 7, 2014 16:11

WaitingOnAFriend, do you know a place before the show where fans can meet?

BTW, I'm staying at the Viceroy... Booked it 1 month ago.

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: February 7, 2014 17:57

Ooooooh I'm getting excited now man

\m/

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: February 7, 2014 18:12

Doors open at 7:30pm!? That's late for 30000-seater. So they are going to be on late. Please let me be among the first in the queue for taxis after the show as I have to catch a flight smiling smiley

Posted by: WaitingOnAFriend ()
Date: February 7, 2014 18:27

Hi Joker!
The Viceroy on Yas Island is the best place to be! It's a beautiful 5-star hotel built directly over the F1 race track and marina and right next to the arena where the Stones are playing. You can't get any closer or more high class.
The Stones are probably staying there too; coming and going by helicopter.

Viceroy

For friends coming in, I booked (more economical) suites at the 3-4 star hotels 15 minutes walk from the arena. There are 6 of them packed together in one area; the Centro, Radisson Blu, Crowne Plaza, Rotana, Staybridge, and Park Inn. It might get a little more wild at some of those hotels.

The Radisson Blu

Booze flows freely at all tourist hotels, by the way - and in the arena. In case anyone was wondering! I've seen some wasted people passed out in that arena; the 2010 Metallica concert comes to mind...

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 7, 2014 20:43

I hope to arrive a few days before the show and to locate a great nearby place to meet up. Close i.e. walking distance to the venue. We need great food, drinks and space. Hopefully outside, I don't know how that works in Abu Dhabi, but after 3 weeks close to freezing point in Paris - and polar winds - I will need to restore my body temperature by a couple of degrees! Any suggestions from the locals?

Bjornulf

Date: February 8, 2014 06:36

Hi Bjornulf and all fellow Stones rolling in to Abu Dhabi! Welcome! I am happy to greet you warmly in the local tradition of desert hospitality!

The only place with food drinks and space walking distance to the arena is that area of 6 hotels. They have outdoor pools and restaurants for relaxation in the sun before the concert. There are a few restaurants and bars at the marina and the Yas Marina Circuit, the race track next to the arena. Ferrari World is also walking distance nearby.

The cities of Abu Dhabi and Dubai, the beaches and deserts are a short drive away but on the afternoon/evening of the concert, traffic will be jammed for hours getting onto and out of Yas Island so it is definitely better to stay at the hotels that are within walking distance.

Temperatures are great now, we are experiencing a "cold spell" - perfect weather, sunny and 15-25C (60-75F). It might be just a little warmer in 2 weeks.

I'm happy to answer any questions or help out in any way!

Friends are coming in from all over the world and this event is looking like the party of a lifetime!

See you in the Fire Pit!

To contact directly, decipher this Rolling Stones set list:

On with the show
Soul survivor
Honky tonk women
All down the line
Far away eyes
Emotional rescue
You can't always get what you want

at
gmail
dot
com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-08 06:37 by WaitingOnAFriend.

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: February 8, 2014 10:47

On the official ticket selling website for the show it says that no professional cameras and audio recordings are allowed. Do they even mean your mobile phone or is that okay to bring with you?

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: February 8, 2014 11:27

WaitingOnAFriend
... traffic will be jammed for hours getting onto and out of Yas Island so it is definitely better to stay at the hotels that are within walking distance.

Hi WaintingOnAFriend!
Have to get to the airport right after the concert. Is there a way around the traffic? Better to go through Yas Tunel or rather over the bridge? Thank you.

Date: February 8, 2014 12:04

Camera phones are OK at the arena StonesFan2146. Only professional cameras are excluded.

There's no way to avoid the traffic during the crush at the start and at the end of the concert my friend, latvianinexile. Yas tunnel is better if you are flying out of Abu Dhabi but getting a taxi will be really hard. The queues are so long. Traffic management is getting better but when 20,000-30,000 people clog the road at the same time, there's no way to avoid delays. Driving in from off -island, it takes about 2 hours to get into a concert and the same to get out at the end. Without traffic, the trip would take 20 minutes.

Ha, I guess the riddle in my last post was too cryptic! I can't check this IORR message list all the time and didn't want to broadcast my email address to the world. To reach me, take the first letter of each Stones song in my list; "o" then "s" then "h" then "a," etc., through "y" and then add "at gmail dot com."

If you need anything, let me know. "If you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need!"

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: February 8, 2014 12:20

Okay, thank you very much WaitingOnAFriend smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: MGetzner ()
Date: February 8, 2014 13:56

It would be cool to have an iorr meeting point before the show!

Cheers
Michael

Posted by: harald2002 ()
Date: February 8, 2014 15:13

MGetzner
It would be cool to have an iorr meeting point before the show!

Cheers
Michael

Yes MGetzner, that would be cool! Any Suggestion from WaintingOnAFriend ?

Date: February 8, 2014 15:37

Suggestions for a before-the-show meeting:

Radisson Blu or
Park Inn by Radisson

Both hotels with restaurants seem to be within walking distance from the concert venue!
What would be a good time to meet? Probably 2-3 hrs before the show?
(I have a fire pit ticket so i'd like to be there early to find a decent spot near the stage...)

Cheers
Michael

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: February 8, 2014 18:27

MGetzner
Suggestions for a before-the-show meeting:

Radisson Blu or
Park Inn by Radisson

Both hotels with restaurants seem to be within walking distance from the concert venue!
What would be a good time to meet? Probably 2-3 hrs before the show?
(I have a fire pit ticket so i'd like to be there early to find a decent spot near the stage...)

Cheers
Michael

I'm booked into one of these, can't remember which one off the top of me head, but both sound good to me \m/

Posted by: Mick2014 ()
Date: February 10, 2014 15:22

thanks for this information. I flight to Abu Dabi at sunday 16.Febr. 2014 and hope for sun. Hope to meet us in one hotel near by the yas Arena.
i have also fire pit tickets.

Angie
Fool to cry
Let's spend the night...
under my thumb

it would be great...

Posted by: Mirko ()
Date: February 11, 2014 01:52

Today I got my early ( late ) bird ticket.
Does anybody know how can I back to Abu Dhabi after the show?

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: February 11, 2014 05:33

Quickie...I got Fire Pit early entrance so does that mean we can enter at 6:30?
Sorry if silly question. smiling smiley

Posted by: benstones ()
Date: February 11, 2014 05:59

StonedAsia
Quickie...I got Fire Pit early entrance so does that mean we can enter at 6:30?
Sorry if silly question. smiling smiley

Yes you have the early entrance, before general admission smiling smiley

Benjamin.

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: February 11, 2014 09:06

I'm stoked! Hope you don't mind a Shidoobee in the mix smiling smiley See you all there!!!

Posted by: skyhawk ()
Date: February 11, 2014 22:41

@WaitingOnAFriend:

Maybe you know how it is travelling from the city centre to the concert: is there a special busservice running on the day of the event? And if so, how does it work?

Date: February 12, 2014 08:16

skyhawk
@WaitingOnAFriend:

Maybe you know how it is travelling from the city centre to the concert: is there a special busservice running on the day of the event? And if so, how does it work?

Hi skyhawk,
There will be a fan meeting in one of the hotels there, i stay in downtown abu dhabi - i will go to yas island by car early in the afternoon, so you could join me - just drop me an email and we'll figure that out.

Cheers
Michael

Date: February 12, 2014 13:01

9 days to go!!

Hello skyhawk. You can take regular city bus 170 or 180 from Abu Dhabi airport or bus 190 from the city directly to Yas Island. Here's a map: Bus Map

The city bus costs 2 dirhams (US 0.55). A taxi costs around 50 dirhams ($13.50) and it's probably worth the upgrade! See you there!

Date: February 12, 2014 13:05

Hi Michael and incoming Stones Fans!
I'll be at the Park Inn from Feb 20-22, partying poolside before the show with 1000 new friends. Hope to see you there!

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 12, 2014 13:39

I assume people will be spread out to all the hotels in that area on show day. I will see if one of these places are better or easier for access while walking to the venue when I get there around Wednesday next week.

Bjornulf

Posted by: zgubi ()
Date: February 12, 2014 16:17

I'm arriving on Tuesday night and this will be my first ever visit outside Europe. Also first time attending several Stones concerts in a tour.

I'll be meeting a couple of friends over in UAE but I would really love to meet you people on show day.

Excitement level: over the moon!

Date: February 12, 2014 19:14

Hi Bjornulf! Look forward to greeting you in Abu Dhabi! Please let me know if you need anything!

I'm just anticipating that great tour opening moment! 9 days!

Here is a map of the area. Yas Map All the hotels are tightly packed together. It will be one huge party!

Only the Viceroy stands a bit apart and closer to the concert stage. The rest are a short hike away. Bring good shoes for long walks under a beautiful clear desert sky (99% chance)!

See you all soon!

Posted by: skyhawk ()
Date: February 12, 2014 21:21

MGetzner
Hi skyhawk,
There will be a fan meeting in one of the hotels there, i stay in downtown abu dhabi - i will go to yas island by car early in the afternoon, so you could join me - just drop me an email and we'll figure that out.

Thanks MGetzner, for your offer but i prefer to stay at Yas Island so i don't need to travel far after the concert. I'm just checking al the possibilities: hotel on Yas Island, hotel in the City Centre, travelling to the venue before and after the concert, etc. It's also a matter of availability and costs.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: February 12, 2014 21:54

What’s the theme and concept of the #14 On Fire tour? How is it different from last year’s 50 & Counting tour last year? Is there anything new planned?
50 & Counting was only performed indoors. The show in Abu Dhabi is outdoors and so we have a created a new set that will premiere there on February 21.

There have been so many iconic tour designs, each with associated props, from the dancing Honky Tonk Woman to Steel Wheels to Voodoo Lounge, and many more, how do you approach a new tour design? What challenges do you face to make it stand out and offer something fresh?
You always want it be new and fresh, but the staging and effects also have to never overpower what happens on the stage. It’s a delicate balance but after so many years we think we’ve got it just about right now.

Read more :

[www.timeoutdubai.com]

Posted by: Sici ()
Date: February 13, 2014 00:52

Hi friends,
I'll be at Abu Dhabi 18/02
Sici

Posted by: Sici ()
Date: February 13, 2014 14:32

Hi WaitingOnAFriend ,
have you a photo of another concert inside Yas Arena?

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 4 of 9

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1411
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home