Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick & Keith, Andrew Loog Oldham get Grammy nominations
Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: December 7, 2013 06:13

(TWO OTHER STONES-RELATED NOMINATIONS AT BOTTOM)

14. BEST ROCK SONG (songwriter's award; artist name in parentheses)
Ain't Messin 'Round
Gary Clark Jr., songwriter (Gary Clark Jr.)

Cut Me Some Slack
Dave Grohl, Paul McCartney, Krist Novoselic & Pat Smear, songwriters (Paul McCartney, Dave Grohl, Krist Novoselic, Pat Smear)

Doom And Gloom
Mick Jagger & Keith Richards, songwriters (The Rolling Stones)

God Is Dead?
Geezer Butler, Tony Iommi & Ozzy Osbourne, songwriters (Black Sabbath)

Panic Station
Matthew Bellamy, songwriter (Muse)

64. BEST BOXED OR SPECIAL LIMITED EDITION PACKAGE
The Brussels Affair
Charles Dooher & Scott Sandler, art directors (The Rolling Stones)

How Do You Do (Limited Edition Box Set)
(Mayer Hawthorne)

The Road To Red Rocks (Special Edition)
(Mumford & Sons)

The Smith Tapes
(Various Artists)

Wings Over America (Deluxe Edition)
(Paul McCartney And Wings)

66. BEST HISTORICAL ALBUM
Call It Art 1964-1965
(New York Art Quartet)

Charlie Is My Darling - Ireland 1965
Teri Landi, Andrew Loog Oldham & Steve Rosenthal, compilation producers; Bob Ludwig, mastering engineer (The Rolling Stones)

The Complete Sussex And Columbia Albums
(Bill Withers)

Pictures Of Sound: One Thousand Years Of Educed Audio: 980–1980
(Various Artists)

Wagner: Der Ring Des Nibelungen (Deluxe Edition)
(Sir Georg Solti)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-07 06:35 by DeanGoodman.

Re: Mick & Keith, Andrew Loog Oldham get Grammy nominations
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 7, 2013 11:11

....hey yeah can't argue with those selections ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 7, 2013 13:52

By my reckoning, D & G is about the 4th best song on that list. Just sayin...

Mick & Keith nominated for Grammy Awards
Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: December 7, 2013 18:16

14. BEST ROCK SONG

Ain't Messin 'Round
Gary Clark Jr., songwriter (Gary Clark Jr.)
Label: Warner Bros. Records; Publisher: Hotwire Unlimited LLC

Cut Me Some Slack
Dave Grohl, Paul McCartney, Krist Novoselic & Pat Smear, songwriters (Paul McCartney, Dave Grohl, Krist Novoselic, Pat Smear)
Track from: Sound City - Real To Reel
Label: RCA Records / Roswell Records; Publishers: MPL Communications, Inc./M.J.-Twelve Music/Murky Slough Music/Kobalt Music/Ruthensmear Music/Bug Music

Doom And Gloom
Mick Jagger & Keith Richards, songwriters (The Rolling Stones)
Label: Universal Music Enterprises; Publisher: Promopub B.V.

God Is Dead?
Geezer Butler, Tony Iommi & Ozzy Osbourne, songwriters (Black Sabbath)
Track from: 13
Label: Vertigo/Republic; Publishers: Aston Music/Blizzard Music Limited/Valallen Music

Panic Station
Matthew Bellamy, songwriter (Muse)
Label: Warner Bros. Records; Publisher: Warner Chappell

They might win this one.
But would they care?

Re: Mick & Keith nominated for Grammy Awards
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 7, 2013 18:26

The Brussels Affair
Label: Rolling Stones Records

Teri Landi, Andrew Loog Oldham & Steve Rosenthal, compilation producers; Bob Ludwig, mastering engineer (The Rolling Stones)
Label: ABKCO

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: December 7, 2013 18:34

Cristiano Radtke
The Brussels Affair
Label: Rolling Stones Records

Label: ABKCO

I didn't even look that far. I stopped after the best country/polka collaboration by a duo or group featuring r&b vocals. Tough competition.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: December 7, 2013 19:12

it was nice to see the Stones get some nods...and also especially Bowie...

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: December 7, 2013 19:53

Rip This
it was nice to see the Stones get some nods...and also especially Bowie...

Hopefully, Lou Reed will be mentioned! Great post!!!

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: December 7, 2013 20:05

I'd be happier if The Stones and Bowie et al would reject the whole Grammy thing.

Date: December 7, 2013 23:42

Agreed. The Grammys rejected the Stones and Bowie decades ago.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 8, 2013 00:01

DeanGoodman

But that's when it was the older, pre-rock generation of Grammy people doing the voting.

They also snubbed The Beatles in the beginning in favor of such artists as Henry Mancini and Barbara Streisand and the like.

Look at the list of Grammy nominations and awards for the 7th annual Grammys in 1965. Lennon and McCartney were nominated for best original score for A Hard Day's Night, but the Mary Poppins soundtrack won instead.

The Beatles won for best new artist, but for record of the year, despite being nominated for I Want To Hold Your Hand, Stan Getz and Astrud Gilberto won for Girl From Ipanema. The Beatles had a nomination with A Hard Day's Night for best Rock and Roll Recording, but--and I hope you're sitting down and not sipping a drink when you read this--Downtown by Petula Clark won instead. You get the idea.

1965 Grammy awards and nominees listed at: [www.awardsandshows.com]

Today, the Grammys are obviously being voted on by people who grew up worshiping the present old guard of Macca, Stones, and Bowie and the rest, so of course these artists will get the nod despite the fact of their best work from the prime of their respective careers having been overlooked.

Date: December 8, 2013 00:16

True. There's no doubt that the Grammys snoozed through most of the 60s -- and 70s and 80s and 90s. While Sabbath and Bowie are truly deserving of nominations for their contemporary work, throwing bones to the Stones and Led Zeppelin (!!!!) for lesser material compounds the FU factor from those acts' glory days and is also an FU to younger, more-relevant acts who might actually benefit from Grammy exposure.

Are we really supposed to believe that just one 20-something, Gary Clark Jr., (aged 29) wrote a worthy rock 'n' roll song this year?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-08 00:23 by DeanGoodman.

Posted by: Christopher ()
Date: December 8, 2013 04:38

I agree with the selections but something tells me the "Wings Over America Deluxe Edition" will outsell the Brussels Affair.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 8, 2013 12:36

The thing about the Grammy's is the only people who vote are engineers. As someone who works closely with engineers, this is a scary thing.eye rolling smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 8, 2013 17:39

stonehearted
DeanGoodman

But that's when it was the older, pre-rock generation of Grammy people doing the voting.

They also snubbed The Beatles in the beginning in favor of such artists as Henry Mancini and Barbara Streisand and the like.

Look at the list of Grammy nominations and awards for the 7th annual Grammys in 1965. Lennon and McCartney were nominated for best original score for A Hard Day's Night, but the Mary Poppins soundtrack won instead.

The Beatles won for best new artist, but for record of the year, despite being nominated for I Want To Hold Your Hand, Stan Getz and Astrud Gilberto won for Girl From Ipanema. The Beatles had a nomination with A Hard Day's Night for best Rock and Roll Recording, but--and I hope you're sitting down and not sipping a drink when you read this--Downtown by Petula Clark won instead. You get the idea.

Today, the Grammys are obviously being voted on by people who grew up worshiping the present old guard of Macca, Stones, and Bowie and the rest, so of course these artists will get the nod despite the fact of their best work from the prime of their respective careers having been overlooked.

I think you may be a touch delusional if you think that even today, I Wanna Hold Your Hand would beat Girl From Ipanema at the Grammies.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 8, 2013 18:12

YES!! GO STONES!!!

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: December 8, 2013 19:22

DeanGoodman

I think Bill Wyman couldn't be bothered about awards or R&RHOF.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 8, 2013 23:14

treaclefingers
stonehearted
DeanGoodman

I think you may be a touch delusional if you think that even today, I Wanna Hold Your Hand would beat Girl From Ipanema at the Grammies.

If done by Stan Getz and Astrud Gilberto it would.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 9, 2013 14:13

DeanGoodman

they rejected rock music for about 12 years. I dont think the 'best rock song' category was brought back until 1980 - when Dylan won.

So, acts like the Stones, Bowie, Dylan, The Beatles et al were basically disenfranchised for much of the periods when they were at their peak.

'Brussels affair' has been out now for over two years. Odd that it didnt get nominated last year but does so this year - when the only physical release was a wallet-bursting package which was only available if you bought a couple of concert tickets.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: December 11, 2013 21:42

A physical release of a cd would be fantastic. I love the download, but a cheaper cd would be great.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1689
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home