Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Keith's set
Posted by: pftw04 ()
Date: December 6, 2013 03:57

Its not that I don't like Happy and Before they make me run. But I feel Keith now should come up with Can't be Seen or All about you or The Worst, You don't have to mean it, Thief in the night,Coming down again, wanna hold you and Little T & A. If he can pullt these sets.And I feel he can.Hewas great in 2012-2013.Compared to 2007.

For a change I would say to drop Happy and Before they make me run

Re: Keith's set
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 6, 2013 04:26

His set is so tricky. Because there are people that, if Keith is gonna play something, expect it to be the few songs they know. When I saw the Stones for the first time in 06, he played Little T&A and You Got The Silver. Then this year, I saw him play You Got The Silver and Happy. I was ecstatic he was playing Happy and Before They Make Me Run because I hadn't heard them. I was with my dad though and told him that and he said "well yeah, I'd expect him to play Happy and You Got The Silver. What else is he gonna play?" And my dad's a big Stones fan. Its just that people aren't really as conscious about Keith songs, especially the ones later than Some Girls or Tattoo You.

He could get away with Coming Down Again because thats so long overdue, and I would personally like to see Can't Be Seen or Slipping Away or The Worst. But it would be lost on so much of the crowd, and since they are only playing a few shows I unfortunately think it makes sense for him to stick with the big hits he has. I wish he would change at least one of those a night, but he apparently can't do that and I don't see him changing the ones he's been playing. MAYBE T&A, but I really wouldn't expect that. He changes his songs after about 20 shows on a tour and these ones aren't long enough that he gets that opportunity.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: December 6, 2013 04:32

Am I the only one who thinks that Keith's sets are often the most boring parts of the show? I mean, unlike all otehr members of the band, Keith is clearly little more than a parody of what he was in 2002 when he still played some of the time. If one looks and listens closely, it has been since 1975 or even 73 since Keith played honestly for a whole show. It seems though, that since Woody joined, Keith has spent many gigs "hiding" behind Woody's carrying of the songs. Sure, there were some gigs on every tour where he didn't hide, but I have seen too many videos from 81-82, 94-95, 97-98, and on after where Keith is simply too wasted or too busy being "Vegas".

AND I AM A KEITH FAN OVER ALL OTHERS!

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 6, 2013 04:32

I saw the thread title and thought it was going to be about

but I see that it isn't.

Same tour concept, same stage design, and probably even the same stage clothes for this next batch of shows, so expect the same set (of teeth) from Keith.

It's a great show to see, and since people in that part of the world haven't seen The Stones in several years, they will be happy even with Miss You and Start Me Up (though China probably won't get Start Me Up, or Brown Sugar for that matter) and will have just as much fun as people did at the UK and U.S. shows, and I can assure you of that firsthand.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: December 6, 2013 04:38

(Sorry, I hit post message too quickly.)

I would love to see Keith mix it up with some stuff that we do not hear often. I never need to hear Happy or BTMMR or even Wanna Hold You ever again. YES, play Coming Down Again or something with one caveat - no more Nearness of You. I know, I know, a zillion of y'all are going to write - I always loved that. So did I, by those who sang it years ago. Keith did it in 77, and it was good. Keith did it in 2003, because he couldn't sing anything else.

Again, Keith is the heart and soul of the MUCH of what we love of this band. However, if left to him to write songs and put out product, I am afraid that we'd be waiting on a friend..... for a good while.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: December 6, 2013 04:49

Thru and Thru!

Posted by: Thru and Thru ()
Date: December 6, 2013 05:19

SomeTorontoGirl
Thru and Thru!

Oh yeah, I'm all for that one!!! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 6, 2013 05:55

It's over with...drop the "rules" and play How I Wish again...

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: December 6, 2013 06:21

Bring back LEARNING THE GAME!!!

How about Keith turns his set into him and Ronnie digging into whatever covers they want. Crying Waiting Hoping, Sweet Little Rock 'N Roller, You Win Again, whatever... Some of my favorite boots are just Keith playing guitar/piano.

Posted by: TE ()
Date: December 6, 2013 08:19

Would love to get Hickory Wind one day.

TE
Oslo

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: December 6, 2013 11:32

SomeTorontoGirl
Thru and Thru!

Saw him play it in Paris in 2003. Awesome! One of my very best musical memories of any Stones gig. Doubt if he'll play it on the tour, though. I reckon people will get a setlist not a million miles from Hyde Park (and very enjoyable it was, too).

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 6, 2013 11:53

SomeTorontoGirl
Thru and Thru!
thumbs up

Date: December 6, 2013 12:09

He can alternate between:

Coming Down Again/Run Rudolph Run

How Can I Stop/Something Else

thumbs up

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 6, 2013 12:34

Drop it.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 6, 2013 12:38

TE
Would love to get Hickory Wind one day.

TE
Oslo

So would I...but I won't hold my breath winking smiley

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: December 6, 2013 15:56

Seems if Keith plays anything that is slow and not Happy, etc..
the fans run to the bathroom!

Date: December 6, 2013 15:59

They just like to say that they do. In reality, even the most critical fan stands there in awe grinning smiley

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 6, 2013 16:09

DandelionPowderman
He can alternate between:

Coming Down Again/Run Rudolph Run

thumbs up

Those two will do very nicely. thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 6, 2013 16:33

There are so many songs that Keith could easily deliver throughout a tour. Hate to say but he falls in the same rut as the warhorse section. Even Keys to the Highway would be welcome on occasion.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: December 6, 2013 16:48

Throw out the Stones songs only caveat, and give one of Keith's spots to Ronnie. Something like I Can Feel The Fire is almost a Stones song anyway, and he's shown he can do a decent job on the Jimmy Reed stuff. Maybe get MT out there during that time, too. Just that little switch up would interest a bunch of the crowd who otherwise tune out til MJ comes back onstage.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: December 6, 2013 17:03

flacnvinyl
Bring back LEARNING THE GAME!!!

How about Keith turns his set into him and Ronnie digging into whatever covers they want. Crying Waiting Hoping, Sweet Little Rock 'N Roller, You Win Again, whatever... Some of my favorite boots are just Keith playing guitar/piano.

If Jagger ever let's the two of them do this concept I'd consider quiting my job and follow the tour. At that point I'd be saying something along the lines of: Forget "More Mick Taylor" Give Me "More Ronnie & Keith". I think a four song mini-set would do. Two for each of 'em. Heck, if Mick wants to front two of the songs we could have a whole "Back to the Crawdaddy" segment of the show.

As great as the Ronnie/Taylor Jimmy Reed gigs have appeared to be (I've only seen the youtube videos), A gig with Ronnie & Keith fronting a rock & roll band playing nothing but their favorite covers would be heaven on earth to my ears! Get with ABC&D or The Rhythm Kings, bring along Bobby Keys and book the date(s)!

You're brilliant Drake! I'm gonna secretly cuss you for making me wish for something I know I'll never see but I still must acknowledge your brilliant idea.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: MizzAmandaJonez ()
Date: December 6, 2013 17:16

If he sat at the piano with only bobby keys on sax and played somewhere over the rainbow with a well thought out slideshow playing, there wouldn't be a dry eye in the house

Follow that with a rotation of happy or btmmr or a rarer up tempo number and his set will kick ass

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: December 6, 2013 17:22

I'd like to hear these.

Connection
Little T&A
Wanna Hold You

But I'll take Happy and BTMMR/YGTS 10 concerts in a row. I just like hearing them play.

Date: December 6, 2013 17:32

BTMMR always works for me - amazing song!

However, a little variety would be good.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 6, 2013 17:35

Sure The One You Need would be awesome

Date: December 6, 2013 17:38

thumbs up

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: December 6, 2013 21:13

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: December 6, 2013 21:22

Pulling out "Coming Down Again" would have been awesome in a club or a smaller venue, or a "special" show. But in a large arena or stadium concert with a typical Stones audience it would just be considered boring and quiet, and it goes on for too long. It would go right over most fans' heads, it'd bore them and suck too much energy out of the set. Although it is a cool little gem of a song.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: December 6, 2013 22:37

pftw04
Its not that I don't like Happy and Before they make me run. But I feel Keith now should come up with Can't be Seen or All about you or The Worst

The first time I saw The Stones in '97 Keith opened his set with "All About You". People filed out for the bathrooms, or sat down and started chatting, faster than you could blink an eye. Seriously, I looked around and as far as my eyes could see in the Texas Motor Speedway there were only a handful of others still standing. These people seemed oblivious to the fact that Keith was trying to do a show. Reactions like that are probably what they're trying to avoid by keeping Keith's two best known songs (both up-tempo as well) in his set. As somebody else said, his set is tricky. You have to keep the crowd into it, while at the same time not having Jagger up there shaking his ass and whipping them into a frenzy. When Keith does his set you have a band without their front man, one of the most famous front men in rock history. It's tough to keep a crowd's attention when the guy whose job it is to work the crowd is backstage. I'm guessing they think the best way to do it is with songs that are up-tempo and that people will probably recognize. Those two songs fill both needs, but I think Little T&A or Connection, while lesser known, would work to. But a Keith ballad, while some are quite nice, is pretty much the antidote to the atmosphere they are trying to create during their concerts.

Posted by: erbissell ()
Date: December 6, 2013 22:55

I would love to see him do a classic rock and roll song...Run Run Rudolph?

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2039
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home