Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Brian Jones and Cathy McGowan: I Got You Babe
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 5, 2013 06:01

A delightful "Mime Time" parody segment from the UK music show Ready, Steady, Go!, in which all members of The Rolling Stones take part, including manager Andrew Loog Oldham, as Brian Jones and RSG presenter Cathy McGowan mime to Sonny and Cher's 1965 hit I Got You Babe.

This show aired on Friday, September 10, 1965 (RSG show #110).

So let's join "guest presenter" Mick Jagger in welcoming "a new lot from Leighton Buzzard"....

The enhanced stereo version:

Ready, Steady, Go! presenter Cathy McGowan

Re: Brian Jones and Cathy McGowan: I Got You Babe
Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: December 5, 2013 06:39

Ready Steady Go--"the weekend starts here!!!!" A Friday early-evening ritual. They did all sorts of fun stuff like this, like the Beatles doing the Midsummer Night's Dream skit. After some dreamy pop star had sung (mimed to) his latest hit, the next performer would be Chuck Berry, wheeled in on a cart! Oh how I loved that show and my Cathy-McGowan hairdo. smiling smiley

I have just consulted the Aquamarine diary for this date. Apparently the Stones took over the whole show, e.g. after this clip Goldie and the Gingerbreads played then Cathy G interviewed Brian, beginning by asking him how it felt to have been voted "the most handsome man in pop."

Eventually they played Oh Baby We Got a Good Thing Going, That's How Strong My Love Is, and Satisfaction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-05 07:02 by Aquamarine.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 5, 2013 11:20

Thanks for sharing your memories Aqua!

Your diary is indeed accurate about The Stones taking over the show. An online log shows that Bill Wyman introduced a British band called The Preachers.

Ready, Steady, Go: Show #110 -- 10-Sep-65 (Friday)
--Manfred Mann
--Goldie & the Gingerbreads
--Chris Farlowe
From another source:
--The Rolling Stones (taped 2-Sep-65) - "Oh Baby (We've Got A Good
Thing
Goin')," "That's How Strong My Love Is" and "Satisfaction"
--"Mime Time" parody with the Stones, Andrew Loog Oldham and Cathy
McGowan
miming to "I Got You Babe."
--The Preachers (a British band) (introduced by Bill Wyman)

Posted by: ash ()
Date: December 5, 2013 11:38

It's a real shame virtually no episodes exist from RSG particularly from the Ready Steady Goes Live run. Pretty much everyone bar The Beatles was a regular visitor.
The Who performance of Anyway Anyhow Anywhere is incendiary. Wish similar clips existed for The Kinks,Johnny Kidd,The Hollies,The Animals,Manfred Mann etc. and the rest of The Stones appearances survived. At least we have some circulating audio for some of these. I'm slightly optimistic that one day some more episodes will be found but until then...

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 5, 2013 12:17

Date: December 5, 2013 15:39

I shouldn't have suggested above that the dreamy pop star "mimed to" his hit (I was super-tired last night) because the big thing about RSG was that people did perform live in the studio, unlike Top of the Pops which was all mimed.

The Beatles did appear on it quite often, though not as often as the Stones. Mick was constantly being rumored to be having an affair with Cathy McG, which he wasn't.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 5, 2013 16:11

A lot of RSG stuff was mimed. smiling smiley

Date: December 5, 2013 16:24

Yes, but you did still get live performances, unlike TOTP which was all mimed, is my point.

The episode mentioned above also featured the Stones talking about their favorite and least favorite songs of the year. Mick's favorite was my favorite (cue Aqua-swoon), apart from the Stones themselves, Wilson Pickett's In the Midnight Hour.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 5, 2013 16:25

thumbs up

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 5, 2013 18:52

Miming here but the interviews are live!

Imagine being able to get that close now!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: December 5, 2013 19:03

As Aquamarine said, RSG was an early evening Friday ritual, after school for me, and then first year or two at work.
Great Days,
So many memorable live shows.
Great documentary on YouTube about the making and history of that programme.
Met Cathy once as telephone engineer at her house near Richmond way back in the '70's.
Lovely Lady.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1855
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home