Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: So Billy Joel pretty much runs MSG now I guess...
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 4, 2013 05:00

Huge Billy Joel fan and I assume many have heard the news today that he's going to basically set up camp at Madison Square Garden and play a show their once a month for "as long as the fans demand it". He's MSG's newest "franchise", along with their sports teams.

Anyone have thoughts on this? I've read some that love it and some that hate it. I guess I'm in between. Its nice that he'll basically always be around in case I want to see him, but I'm also disappointed this wasn't an announcement about full albums being played live, and I also question whether this is getting a little Vegas-y. I know I'll definitely see at least one of these shows in 2013, probably 2 or 3. Anyone wonder how long he'll be able to keep this up. My dad is convinced it won't last a year, even though I said I could see it going strong for a year then tapering shortly after that.

Re: OT: So Billy Joel pretty much runs MSG now I guess...
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 4, 2013 05:15

Being that he's older, he probably doesn't want to travel as much and would rather keep himself in a "New York state of mind".

The Stones have scaled back their touring habits, spending more time in concentrated markets.

Also, workaholic Van Morrison spends most of his time in Northern Ireland these days for the same reason, playing £200-a-head concerts at such venues as the Europa Hotel in Belfast.

When you get to a certain age, travel can wear the body down and, in the case of performers, people adapt their work habits accordingly.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-04 05:42 by stonehearted.

Date: December 4, 2013 06:01

I personally agree. I see more pros than cons, and I'm actually totally fine with this. But I'm talking to a lot of people that seemed unnecessarily annoyed about it, and I guess I can see their point as well.

Posted by: KeefRichards88 ()
Date: December 4, 2013 06:27

Maybe The Stones could be a franchise at the O2 Arena in London

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 4, 2013 15:12

Wait, wait, wait. I thought MSG was the Stones' 'home' ? smiling smiley

Have managed to catch a few of the Van Belfast shows in the last couple of years. Some of them are indeed exclusive dinner shows in hotels,but others are normally priced. One small promoter even hired him to play a cinema in east Belfast last March and it was effectively a secret gig for hardcore fans arranged through a facebook page. About 150 people paying £75 a head. It was fantastic.

He has actually put together a band with some local jazz musicians and intends to play shows in the revamped Harp Bar every 3-4 weeks through 2014. The first gig is on new years Eve. Tickets are a not unreasonable £60.

the Stones could and probably should think of doing this sort of thing in due course. The main problem is that their ticket prices are so prohibitive than playing multiple nights anywhere in the world within a short time frame is difficult. They usually need to give each place a few months break for the local market to recover.

It speaks volumes that in 2007 they ended their tour with three nights at the 02 which barely sold out, but which took place at the same time as Prince was filling the place for 21 nights despite the fact that his drawing power as a concert act peaked in the mid 80s.

Date: December 4, 2013 16:23

Gazza

Have managed to catch a few of the Van Belfast shows in the last couple of years. Some of them are indeed exclusive dinner shows in hotels,but others are normally priced. One small promoter even hired him to play a cinema in east Belfast last March and it was effectively a secret gig for hardcore fans arranged through a facebook page. About 150 people paying £75 a head. It was fantastic.

He has actually put together a band with some local jazz musicians and intends to play shows in the revamped Harp Bar every 3-4 weeks through 2014. The first gig is on new years Eve. Tickets are a not unreasonable £60.

the Stones could and probably should think of doing this sort of thing in due course. The main problem is that their ticket prices are so prohibitive than playing multiple nights anywhere in the world within a short time frame is difficult. They usually need to give each place a few months break for the local market to recover.

It speaks volumes that in 2007 they ended their tour with three nights at the 02 which barely sold out, but which took place at the same time as Prince was filling the place for 21 nights despite the fact that his drawing power as a concert act peaked in the mid 80s.

That's true, but in fairness the Stones were on their second euro-leg within a year, after they played six british shows in 2006 smiling smiley

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: December 4, 2013 16:55

DandelionPowderman
Gazza

That's true, but in fairness the Stones were on their second euro-leg within a year, after they played six british shows in 2006 smiling smiley

Agree with you Dandelio,
I very much doubt that Prince could manage to sell out, as headliner, 2 shows at Hyde Park last Summer.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: December 4, 2013 17:03

"It's Still Billy Joel To Me"

What's the matter with the songs he's singin'
Can't you tell that they're pretty lame
After listenin' to a couple albums
Well, they all start to sound the same

So he tried to change his musical style
He tossed all his ballads in the circular file
Then he found the punk sound
Breakin' ground all around
It's still Billy Joel to me

What's the matter with the tune he's writin'
Well, you know it's gonna be a smash
It's so nice when you're a big name artist
Doesn't matter if it sounds like trash

Now everybody thinks the new wave is super
Just ask Linda Ronstadt or even Alice Cooper
It's a big hit, isn't it
Even if it's a piece of junk

Woah, it doesn't matter what the critics say about him
'Cause he doesn't worry how they feel
When you're record's sellin' millions and it's goin' triple platinum
You don't worry 'bout your next meal
'Cause money is no big deal

Maybe he should dye his hair bright pink
And stick a safety pin through his cheeks
Then he'd really fit the new wave image
But he couldn't sit down for weeks

Don't you know about the record business, honey
You gotta be trendy if you wanna make some money
Now everybody's sayin' that he sure sounds funny
But it's still Billy Joel to me

All right, Alfred
Oh

I can hardly wait 'til his next album
Well, I'll bet it's gonna be the rage
Buy a ticket to his next big concert
Well, I wonder what he'll do on stage

It might be disco and it might be the blues
Or maybe even somethin' like the B-52's
Just a handclap, finger snap
Even if it's mindless pap

Everybody's sayin' that he sure sounds funny
But it's still Billy Joel to me

Posted by: kwf ()
Date: December 4, 2013 17:18

Led Zeppelin should have done this at the O2...they were set up and rehearsed....all they would've had to do perform a few more shows in the same venue, no touring needed.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 4, 2013 17:24

Sounds like a nice gig for BJ... nice work if you can get it.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 4, 2013 17:26

marquess
DandelionPowderman
Gazza

Agree with you Dandelio,
I very much doubt that Prince could manage to sell out, as headliner, 2 shows at Hyde Park last Summer.

he probably could have done, had he priced it cheaply enough and not been playing anywhere else that summer as the Stones did. Which was my point. Im not suggested he's a bigger draw than the Stones, as he clearly isnt.

there were only 50,000 tickets available for the three London dates in 2007. For a country of 60 million people. The fact that they toured a year before (and Stones UK tours - 2003 apart - seem to be a token gesture as far as the provincial cities are concerned) shouldnt have been an issue.

After all, they had no problem filling Hyde Park this year for two nights with tickets that were mostly £100 despite having played the two most expensive concerts in British history just 7 months earlier.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: December 4, 2013 17:59

Van Morrison Live at The Culloden Hotel Belfast 2014
VAN MORRISON JANUARY BLUES 2014: 21st & 22nd JANUARY 2014

This is the third year in a row Van Morrison has played a series of concerts at Culloden Estate & Spa, on the stage where he recorded his album ‘Born to Sing; No Plan B.’ Previous guests will vouch for the very special atmosphere created in such an intimate setting, recreating the feel of Jazz clubs of yesteryear. It is an ideal setting for Van to play the songs you know, in the way he feels he should play them now.For more information Tel: 00 44 2890 674164 Or Email: Allyson McKimm on amckimm@hastingshotels.com

Van Morrison - Tuesday 21st Jan 2014
Dinner, sparkling drinks reception and Show.
£200 per person
BOOK NOW

Van Morrison - Wednesday 22nd January
Dinner, sparkling drinks reception and Show.
£200 per person
BOOK NOW

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 4, 2013 18:08

i like it a lot

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: December 4, 2013 18:15

Makes sense (dollars too)

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 4, 2013 18:25

kwf
Led Zeppelin should have done this at the O2...they were set up and rehearsed....all they would've had to do perform a few more shows in the same venue, no touring needed.

Exactly and in retrospect the "fabulous" gig would have been called a "nice warm-up night" when compared to show #3 or #4.
Said differently LZ would certainly have gotten stronger with each perf (just like they did in 75 at Earl's Court).

One gig only was a wasted opportunity... Oh well! grinning smiley

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: December 4, 2013 19:27

TheGreek
i like it a lot

Yeah, me too. I'm not a huge Billy Joel fan, but as I'm in NYC every few months now, I sure wouldn't mind seeing him at MSG.

Posted by: birdie ()
Date: December 4, 2013 19:53

Lazy!

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 4, 2013 21:36

no that would be James Dolan the idiot son of cabelvison founder Charles Dolan . the father has a working brain. the son James has his own band called J.D. and the hotshots .

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: December 4, 2013 22:44

I'm curious what Prince charged fans for the O2 run. When Prince played Los Angeles, about a year and a half ago for a (I think) 17 night run, I saw him twice. I paid $25 including service charges. If these were shows with "normal" pricing, I most likely wouldn't have gone even once.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: December 4, 2013 22:44

RollingFreak
Huge Billy Joel fan and I assume many have heard the news today that he's going to basically set up camp at Madison Square Garden and play a show their once a month for "as long as the fans demand it". He's MSG's newest "franchise", along with their sports teams.

Anyone have thoughts on this? I've read some that love it and some that hate it. I guess I'm in between. Its nice that he'll basically always be around in case I want to see him, but I'm also disappointed this wasn't an announcement about full albums being played live, and I also question whether this is getting a little Vegas-y. I know I'll definitely see at least one of these shows in 2013, probably 2 or 3. Anyone wonder how long he'll be able to keep this up. My dad is convinced it won't last a year, even though I said I could see it going strong for a year then tapering shortly after that.

Well, at least with Billy Joel, he'll never be distracted by making any new albums. I think the time since his last true album has been a longer duration than his album making years now.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: December 5, 2013 11:35

marquess
Agree with you Dandelio,

If he can sell out 21 straight O2 shows I reckon hyde park wouldn't be a problem smiling smiley

Cheers,
Wuudy

Date: December 5, 2013 13:42

StonesCat
RollingFreak

Well, at least with Billy Joel, he'll never be distracted by making any new albums. I think the time since his last true album has been a longer duration than his album making years now.

why do people care about if joel releases a new album? he retired from making pop/rock albums. he has stated he retired from making them. he went out on top. now we don't have to sit through rehashed ideas from the past and subpar material like the stones

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: December 5, 2013 16:03

How many times are people going to pay to hear Only the Good Die Young, Allentown, It's Still Rock and Roll to Me etc...I'd only have interest if he was playing some new music.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: December 5, 2013 16:08

James Kirk
How many times are people going to pay to hear Only the Good Die Young, Allentown, It's Still Rock and Roll to Me etc...I'd only have interest if he was playing some new music.

Lots of people will

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: December 5, 2013 16:47

With all the hoopla and emotional reactions to this, I'm actually finding it pretty funny to just read people's feelings both here and other places on the web.

What I find so funny is that people are having such animated reactions to a musician booking a reoccuring gig at the same venue in their hometown. The band I play with is booked once a month through December 2014 at the club we'll be playing at this coming Friday. Musicians have been doing this for decades. We're just not used to seeing FAMOUS musicians do it in arena sized venues. Personally I think it's kind of cool and hope that it's successful and more famous musicians will start to consider this type of residency-style gigs.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: December 5, 2013 18:28

reg thorpe
James Kirk

Lots of people will

I guess, but to me it feels like Joel is just going through the motions. There are many artists of Joel's generation (Bruce Springsteen,Paul Simon,Paul McCartney etc..) who still put out quality new music that they play live.

Billy Joel seems happy with being nothing more than an oldies act. He is no better than Frankie Valli these days. It's ashame, because Joel has so much to offer and could be one of the few artists alive today that has the gravitas combined with the commercial appeal to make rock and roll music grow up. Instead of living up to the challenge he is going to play New York State of Mind and Uptown Girl...AGAIN! To me that's just boring and I won't be paying to see him unless he does something new.

I for one expect more of Billy Joel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-05 18:30 by James Kirk.

Date: December 5, 2013 19:42

James Kirk
reg thorpe
James Kirk

Lots of people will

I guess, but to me it feels like Joel is just going through the motions. There are many artists of Joel's generation (Bruce Springsteen,Paul Simon,Paul McCartney etc..) who still put out quality new music that they play live.

Billy Joel seems happy with being nothing more than an oldies act. He is no better than Frankie Valli these days. It's ashame, because Joel has so much to offer and could be one of the few artists alive today that has the gravitas combined with the commercial appeal to make rock and roll music grow up. Instead of living up to the challenge he is going to play New York State of Mind and Uptown Girl...AGAIN! To me that's just boring and I won't be paying to see him unless he does something new.

I understand that opinion, but I also feel that if he had new music, we'd never really hear it anyway. Past 2000, he'd only be able to allot like 4 slots of the show to them, which would probably decrease as the tour went on. Also, they would be the songs people go to the bathroom for unless he had a big hit. Its the same with the Stones, its the same with Paul, its the same with Elton. They are ALL oldies acts. Just because Joel doesn't ruin his career with albums worth of songs, where most likely you'd only find 5 good ones from a span of each 3 albums, I admire that. I'd prefer him to stop if he doesn't have another excellent album in him, than getting 7 more albums at this point like the Stones where its really just 2-3 good songs per record. And again, you'd never get those songs played live anyway for the most part, so these current shows really aren't that much different than what they would be had he had more albums.

I don't get the argument you need to keep making albums. Joel doesn't tour that much, and when he does he gets around to probably 60 different songs, a respectable amount for an act of his age. Making albums that suck doesn't keep you relevant so I don't know why people feel everyone needs to do that. Maybe it is alittle lazy, but there's also something to be admired about closing the book on your career if you think you can't top what you already have. Hardly anyone does that, and a lot should.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: December 5, 2013 19:45

Smultz..........

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: December 5, 2013 19:51

RollingFreak
James Kirk
reg thorpe
James Kirk

Lots of people will

I understand that opinion, but I also feel that if he had new music, we'd never really hear it anyway. Past 2000, he'd only be able to allot like 4 slots of the show to them, which would probably decrease as the tour went on. Also, they would be the songs people go to the bathroom for unless he had a big hit. Its the same with the Stones, its the same with Paul, its the same with Elton. They are ALL oldies acts. Just because Joel doesn't ruin his career with albums worth of songs, where most likely you'd only find 5 good ones from a span of each 3 albums, I admire that. I'd prefer him to stop if he doesn't have another excellent album in him, than getting 7 more albums at this point like the Stones where its really just 2-3 good songs per record. And again, you'd never get those songs played live anyway for the most part, so these current shows really aren't that much different than what they would be had he had more albums.

I don't get the argument you need to keep making albums. Joel doesn't tour that much, and when he does he gets around to probably 60 different songs, a respectable amount for an act of his age. Making albums that suck doesn't keep you relevant so I don't know why people feel everyone needs to do that. Maybe it is alittle lazy, but there's also something to be admired about closing the book on your career if you think you can't top what you already have. Hardly anyone does that, and a lot should.

Amazingly, he is selling out upcoming concerts in minutes. For example, he has added several shows for Ft Lauderdale, which starts in Jan. I'm not sure it is because of a couple if hits such as Piano Man or Just the way you Are(sic).

Nontheless- fans cherish the past and flock to his concerts. Not for me - but not a bad thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-05 19:54 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: December 5, 2013 20:30

James Kirk
reg thorpe
James Kirk

Lots of people will

From what I read recently, Frankie Valli is lip-synching most of his vocals these days.

Besides, I noticed in Billy's recent setlists (Dublin and UK shows) he played stuff like "A Room of Our Own," "She's Right On Time," "Where's the Orchestra," "Great Wall of China," and "Blonde Over Blue"...ALL in the same show...and all songs I've never heard him play the many times I've seen him from 1984-2006.

I accepted long ago (20 years now) that we weren't likely to see any new rock/pop material from him...he stuck to his word ("Famous Last Words" - River of Dreams album).

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1984
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home