Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Your memories of "finding" the Stones?
Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 30, 2013 04:11

As you might gather from my 13-year-old handwriting here, I recorded on each Stones record I bought which one it was, until I gave up at about number ten. I can't remember which one was number two, but number one--which has so much teenage-girl stuff written on it that I refuse to post it--was Not Fade Away. I can still remember the excitement of discovering that primal Bo Diddley beat (I didn't know it was a Buddy Holly song) and then seeing them on TV with Mick dancing about and sort of lunging at the stage with those maracas. Love at first lunge. smiling smiley So I saved my pocket money (allowance) until I had enough for the six shillings and eightpence, which were what records cost then. (I feel like I'm writing about the Victorian era . . .) Then I went to the record store, where I had to order it because they only had records in stock by the major bands. Then one day after school I picked it up and took it home and played that sucker till it was nearly transparent. Happy daze!

Anybody else want to share your memories of that moment of discovery?

Re: Your memories of "finding" the Stones?
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 30, 2013 06:17

this is essential stuff. Thanks and I'll say I remember most of all hearing 'the last time' in the car on the radio and that's what got me. But didnt get records until 'honky Tonk women' and 'thru the past darkly'

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 30, 2013 10:44

Route 66 on my crystal set in Perth. A UK radio station.

That was it. I was 12yo

Posted by: Torres ()
Date: November 30, 2013 10:49

Love the names on the the Decca letters smiling smiley

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 30, 2013 11:09

Thank You Lucky Stars 1963. I knew by the outraged reaction of my parents that this was a band to invest interest in. The early songs that really jumped out at me were I Wanna Be Your Man and Not Fade Away.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 30, 2013 14:18

so much teenage-girl stuff written on it that I refuse to post it--was Not Fade Away....Awwww come on we wanna see Not Fade Away

ROCKMAN

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: November 30, 2013 14:55

Very sweet Aquamarine, thanks for sharing that. Your teenage handwriting is much better than mine is now. smiling smiley

My memories of finding the Stones...no one song stands out, they've just always seemed to be there for me, but no more than some other bands I loved. I do know that it was when I read Keith's LIFE that I re-discovered the Stones. I started really listening to their music, and then, wow...I was hooked for life (pun intended). Took me a while to make my way around again, but I've always been a late bloomer. grinning smiley

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 30, 2013 16:33

My father would play a cassette of their debut album in the car. Mona and Walking The Dog are the two recordings that stick in the mind from that early exposure. I also remember being fascinated by my father pointing out Brian Jones on the sleeve and him telling me that he 'drowned' in his swimming pool. Years of Rolling Stones dismissal followed - they were an 'oldies' act who my dad like - how uncool! - before I would later discover the Beatles through my own means. Through reading about the group, my curiosity of the Stones was rekindled. My father would then go on to pull dusty vinyl copies of Big Hits and Through The Past Darkly off the shelf to set me on my way. I was immediately enthralled by the thumping intro to Paint It, Black and the Jumpin' Jack Flash riff. This was merely the beginning.

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: November 30, 2013 17:01

Nice thread. Thanks! grinning smiley

For me, it was 1964 and my parents and I were watching The Ed Sullivan Show. And there they were! I was enthralled, smitten, hooked and crazed. My parents said something like - Oh, they'll be over with in less than a month. And here we are 50 years later. I also wrote in my teenage girl handwriting on their records I bought at that time. I remember running into Woolworth's (any Canadians here who are familiar with that chain of stores?) and heading right for the "R" section. I became a fixture in the "R" section of the record aisle at Woolworth's.

It became (to quote Brian Jones) a 'lifestyle'. And the saga continues. Fifty years later and here I am!

My stash of records has a room all its own. And books, magazines, the whole shebang.

I've never regretted that night in 1964 when I became hooked and loving them.

smoking smiley

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: November 30, 2013 17:15

Strange how your parents reaction is the major impetus. I have memories of Tumbling Dice I think in the charts in 1972 (1 was 14) and my Mum and Dad being pretty dismissive...and the next year I got Goats Head Soup for my 15th birthday and from there started to explore the whole canon of work until seeing them live in 1976

Funny thing is I don't really remember liking Tumbling Dice on first listen,,,that muddy sound,,,

Posted by: 6s7s9s ()
Date: November 30, 2013 17:25

We were on a family vacation in the summer of 1975...driving from Chicago, north around Lake Superior and back down thru Michigan.
I believe we were stopped in Thunder Bay, Ontario or could have been in Ste Sault Marie...doesn't matter. We had the TV on in the motel one night...and this was before the days of MTV, so I don't know what the channel or occasion was, but "It's Only Rock'n'Roll came on...the video with the sailor suits and bubbles.
I was hooked. Parents were dismissive, but I had never seen anything like it before...Mick's sneering into the camera I remember particularly well.
Didn't get to see them live that summer, but remember the stories of their concerts on the newscasts.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: November 30, 2013 17:53

Cocaine Eyes

For me, it was 1964 and my parents and I were watching The Ed Sullivan Show. And there they were! I was enthralled, smitten, hooked and crazed. My parents said something like - Oh, they'll be over with in less than a month. And here we are 50 years later. I also wrote in my teenage girl handwriting on their records I bought at that time. I remember running into Woolworth's (any Canadians here who are familiar with that chain of stores?) and heading right for the "R" section. I became a fixture in the "R" section of the record aisle at Woolworth's.

It became (to quote Brian Jones) a 'lifestyle'. And the saga continues. Fifty years later and here I am!

My stash of records has a room all its own. And books, magazines, the whole shebang.

smoking smiley

Woolworth's was also in the US. I use to buy records there in the 60's down on Long Island, NY. Remember buying Beatles, Beach Boys and of course the Stones, there...

Date: November 30, 2013 17:56

Mistake - deleted by CE

smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-30 18:11 by Cocaine Eyes.

Date: November 30, 2013 17:57

2000 LYFH
Cocaine Eyes

smoking smiley

Woolworth's was also in the US. I use to buy records there in the 60's down on Long Island, NY. Remember buying Beatles, Beach Boys and of course the Stones, there...

Oooooops, sorry. I didn't know that!! smiling smiley

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: November 30, 2013 18:47

I didnt find them, they found me.

Of course they were always "there", but I have never been one
to jump on the "latest thing". People/things/bands/stuff have
to pay their dues... and if they stick around long enough, and
prove themselves worthy, then they get admitted into the club.
The Stones made several runs at it... and then finally made it.

And, of course, over time The Stones have climbed to the top of the heap.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: November 30, 2013 19:19

My parents had my grans old chest radio & gramophone player and honky Tonkin woman came on, needless to say the sound was brilliant on that old gram and that was going to be the only band for me.

I was also heart broken when the old man got rid of that radio gram and couldn't believe he had got rid of it and it would be worth some money in years to comes.

Just remembered that our nan had to get permission from the home office during the Second World War as it was so powerfull.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 30, 2013 21:43

A U.S. television commercial advertising Hot Rocks would play in the after-school hours of late afternoons in 1978 and 1979 when I was 12. Only the choruses of certain songs would be in the commercial, but I was quite taken with those main melodies for songs such as Ruby Tuesday, Jumping Jack Flash, Honky Tonk Women, and You Can't Always Get What You Want.

It would be a couple of years before I would begin purchasing their back catalog to hear the rest of the parts of songs around those melodies that initially captivated me in the Hot Rocks commercial.

For a first-generation fan, maybe it was a single on the radio or a TV appearance that did it, but for second-generation fans like me and beyond, I would say that Hot Rocks is the most important Stones album ever released, as it makes for an essential starter. ABKCO did the Stones an enormous and lasting favor with that release, and I doubt even Mick Jagger himself realizes it.

EDIT: I've been trying to track down this commercial online and have found some info. Many other fans seem to recall this very commercial, which is from 1978. There was even a thread on the Steve Hoffman forums about it. It appears that it was actually one of those "Sessions" packages called "Greatest Hits".

DVL2-0268 - The Rolling Stones' Greatest Hits - Rolling Stones [1977] (2-LP set) Blue Abkco label. Disc 1: Not Fade Away/Tell Me/It's All Over Now/Good Times Bad Times/Time Is On My Side/Heart Of Stone/The Last Time/Play With Fire/Satisfaction//Get Off My Cloud/I'm Free/As Tears Go By/19th Nervous Breakdown/Mother's Little Helper/Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing In The Shadow?/Paint It Black; Disc 2: Lady Jane/Let's Spend The Night Together/Ruby Tuesday/Dandelion/We Love You/She's A Rainbow/2000 Light Years From Home//Jumpin' Jack Flash/Child Of The Moon/Street Fighting Man/Honky Tonk Women/You Can't Always Get What You Want/Wild Horses/Brown Sugar

Listed at: [www.bsnpubs.com]

Found a clip of Detroit TV station WXYZ's final 15 minutes of their sign-off from Easter 1980, including TV commercials. The Rolling Stones mail-order Greatest Hits package from Sessions begins at 2:33 and runs to 4:34.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-30 22:14 by stonehearted.

Why Did We Jump On Their 'Band Wagon' At The Start Of All This?
Date: November 30, 2013 22:01

The post/thread from Aquamarine inspired these thoughts. Thanks! hot smiley

Why did we all jump on the Rollling Stones' train/flatbed truck in the beginning? Which applies to you:

1. We loved the music.

2. We needed to be rebels (especially us older ones who were going against our parents' complaints).

3. It was the sexiness of one/more members.

4. We followed the crowd we were in.

5. The entire thing is beyond explanation! It's a lifestyle we needed.

Again, many thanks to those who inspired this topic!

CE
smoking smiley

Re: Why Did We Jump On Their 'Band Wagon' At The Start Of All This?
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 30, 2013 22:06

Everything except 4 for me

Date: November 30, 2013 22:13

Definitely #1 at first, eventually #5 as well.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: November 30, 2013 22:18

Ze museeek..........I heard Angie first @ 13 years old and thought "that's such a lovely song..........a week later I heard Heartbreaker, that was the power I needed to hear from a band, never looked back.

My crowd were all into Yes, Uriah Heep, The Man band, led Zep, Emerson,lake and Palmer, Slade, Hawkwind etc........
Deep Purple's Black Knight was the first song I ever really turned an ear to when I was 9, then Cum on feel the noize, Silver Machine (my first single).........but Angie and GHS (then Exile) were the ones that pushed everything else up a siding until Ian Dury came along in 1977...........The Stones supported by Ian Dury would have been musical heaven for me.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-30 22:22 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 30, 2013 22:22

Point 1, only.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: November 30, 2013 22:28

..number 1 for sure...."Bye bye Johnny"+ incredible "first album"...

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: November 30, 2013 22:41

No 1 for me....... Probably Brown Sugar, and the Decca album Gimme Shelter, that kicked it all off!

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 30, 2013 22:46

Number 1 with a bit of number 2.
"What DO they think they look like?confused smiley "
winking smiley

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: November 30, 2013 22:54

number 1 for sure.

I also think it's about culture education. I wanna know about things and I'm really interested in history. If you haven't heard the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Iggy & The Stooges - you dont really know anything about rock n roll. If you have never heard Charlie Parker or Miles Davis - you don't know anything about jazz ... I think I was interested to know what it was all about. It's about education. I wanna read all the classic books, see all the classic movies, and hear all the classic rock albums..it's about wanting to understand different cultures and the world around me. Just basic grown up adult education. Like wanting to taste really good red wine and eat something different that you haven't tried before ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-30 23:06 by seitan.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: November 30, 2013 22:59

Do you mean this band wagon?

Didnt everyone get on about 5th Avenue at 6th street, or there abouts?

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: December 1, 2013 00:05

1 and 5. Definitely not 4...maybe a little of 2 and 3. smiling smiley

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: December 1, 2013 00:43

No. 4 didn't apply to me, either--in fact, until I was in college I was the only Stones fan I knew! All my friends thought they were dirty and disreputable and etc. (just adding to my fascination, of course).

As for that Not fade Away cover, it's full of "Brian Mick " etc. And worse. Ya ain't seein' it.

Date: December 1, 2013 02:55

I didn't have any Stones' fans friends either - except the guy up the street insisted on having his hair look like Keith's. (His mother was shattered!) And one other friend who loved them/their music.

That's all. In University I had a poster of them on the wall of my dorm room and everyone was appalled.

Finally (for me) it became a lifestyle. Still is.......

smoking smiley

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1510
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home