Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Track Talk: Pretty Beat Up
Date: November 27, 2013 23:37

thumbs up

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 27, 2013 23:44

DandelionPowderman
thumbs up

I know right, I'm loving this...just moved to Too Tough. Always liked that toon, it was my number 2 or 3 on the album, behind Undercover Of The Night.

I'd have to say though that PBU is fantastic.

OK, I've gotten to It Must Be Hell.

Not bad for a Soul Survivor retread. I'd put this and I Wanna Hold You on the bottom of the 10 songs. Otherwise a great album.

4-4.5 stars overall. A super high-water mark in the last 30 years. I'm glad it's not too commercial, but if it was it would have sold better and might be better embraced. But for pure listening pleasure this is a great album, 80s production be damned!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-27 23:54 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: November 28, 2013 00:14

GasLightStreet
I've always liked the tune. Mick's sneering vocal delivery is perfect, especially the way he blurs the words and makes it beyond difficult to understand.

That's a really good point. Part of what makes this song so much fun is Jagger's blurry/slurry delivery, which leaves much of what he's singing to the listener's imagination. It's what rock and roll singers have done since the beginning, and it works wonders.

It's unfortunate that Jagger these days so rarely slurs his words, and instead opts to over-pronounce everything. Can you imagine a 2013 remake of PBU? It just wouldn't work.

Drew

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 28, 2013 00:28

I know I'm off topic here but I've continued my stroll down memory lane with a playing of Emotional Rescue on vinyl...now on "Down In The Hole"...just lovely.

The 80s started so promising...Emotional Rescue, Tattoo You, Still Life, Undercover and then we get to 'State Of Shock', 'Just Another Night', 'Winning Ugly', 'Let's Work'....how did it all go so bad so quickly?

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 23, 2015 02:19

I have noticed that many people on here enjoy Undercover more than I do and thanks to it being on the Album Talk for the week I've enjoyed listening to it and discovering why people like it and why I still don't particularly.

I think it's an album of mostly high quality filler, with only one great song - She Was Hot. Undercover the song for me is ruined because of the drum machine and the singing (although I get that some people like it - it is certainly audacious and the video is cool.)

Pretty Beat Up is high quality filler. Love the sax.

Date: September 23, 2015 09:05

What about the bass???

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: September 23, 2015 09:10

I think it's a beast of a track, a tune that I discovered long after Undercover's release and one that has become a real favorite.

For my daydream setlist...

Medley: "Pretty Beat Up"/"Just Wanna See His Face"

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 23, 2015 15:57

DandelionPowderman
What about the bass???
Isn't it all about that bass, as the kids say?

Date: September 23, 2015 16:00

keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
What about the bass???
Isn't it all about that bass, as the kids say?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 23, 2015 20:24

Horrible.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 23, 2015 20:48

Turner68
I have noticed that many people on here enjoy Undercover more than I do and thanks to it being on the Album Talk for the week I've enjoyed listening to it and discovering why people like it and why I still don't particularly.

I think it's an album of mostly high quality filler, with only one great song - She Was Hot. Undercover the song for me is ruined because of the drum machine and the singing (although I get that some people like it - it is certainly audacious and the video is cool.)

Pretty Beat Up is high quality filler. Love the sax.

"High quality filler". I like that!

They could have namad the whole album as HIGH QUALITY FILLER. (And if I recall right, their record company was critizising them back them about it - the band just filling the contract. While the album was to be properly finished and promoted, their (Mick's) mind was in negotiating a new record deal).

But hey, about "Pretty Beat Up" - is it true that they initially called this song "Dogshit"?grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 23, 2015 22:47

Musically fantastic! Just a great kick-ass tune!

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 24, 2015 04:34

one of the single biggest reasons why RW should be included in more of the song writing...he's got big game (and groove)...his live versions of Pretty Beat Up are nothing short of a revelation...

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: September 24, 2015 04:42

If this track were included on a brand new Stones album it would be trashed, but because it's on a record that many older fans seem to have fond memories of it's elevated by some here as a lost classic.

It's a terrible/dated song.

Date: September 24, 2015 11:38

James Kirk
If this track were included on a brand new Stones album it would be trashed, but because it's on a record that many older fans seem to have fond memories of it's elevated by some here as a lost classic.

Are all bass-heavy funk tunes with sax «terribly dated»? I can understand that Too Much Blood sounds somewhat dated, but not Pretty Beat Up? To me it sounds timeless. It did that in 1983 as well smiling smiley

Date: September 24, 2015 11:48

DandelionPowderman
James Kirk

Are all bass-heavy funk tunes with sax «terribly dated»? I can understand that Too Much Blood sounds somewhat dated, but not Pretty Beat Up? To me it sounds timeless. It did that in 1983 as well smiling smiley

i can remember how i felt listening to this album (and others, like emotional rescue) at the time - say 82-84 - and it wasn't a feeling that they were dated but rather that the sound was a little contrived, and wasn't really stonesy. i think this is the warning sign for a sound that is destined to *become* dated. so no, it didn't sound dated in 1983, but it sounded like they were trying to be current and that it didn't feel quite right.

i can't explain how some girls doesn't suffer from this fate though - i'm sure part of it is that we all keep telling each other that it's great so we somehow overlook what might be "dated" whereas with undercover it doesn't have the mystique to support it.

i apologize for the ramble. what i really want to say is that undercover had a sound to it that didn't last for very long in the 80s, and that was not what people generally identified with the stones. i also think it has *nothing* to do with heavy bass and sax.

Date: September 24, 2015 11:51

Turner68
DandelionPowderman
James Kirk

i can remember how i felt listening to this album (and others, like emotional rescue) at the time - say 82-84 - and it wasn't a feeling that they were dated but rather that the sound was a little contrived, and wasn't really stonesy. i think this is the warning sign for a sound that is destined to *become* dated. so no, it didn't sound dated in 1983, but it sounded like they were trying to be current and that it didn't feel quite right.

i can't explain how some girls doesn't suffer from this fate though - i'm sure part of it is that we all keep telling each other that it's great so we somehow overlook what might be "dated" whereas with undercover it doesn't have the mystique to support it.

i apologize for the ramble. what i really want to say is that undercover had a sound to it that didn't last for very long in the 80s, and that was not what people generally identified with the stones. i also think it has *nothing* to do with heavy bass and sax.

I get that (with Undercover), but songs like PBU, TYU, TT, ATWD, WHY and IMBH don't sound like the others?

ER sounds dated the same way Exile and GHS sounds dated: Old fashioned, which is another thing, really (and a good thing, imo).

Date: September 24, 2015 11:53

i would need to listen to those songs on a higher quality system than what i have with me right now to answer your question. i'm going on how i remember them sounding, which isn't totally fair.

i agree old fashioned is good!

Posted by: SuperC ()
Date: September 24, 2015 20:58

Perhaps the best tune post TY to present. Great version on one of Ronnie's live Cds. Great Wood era number - love it!

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: September 25, 2015 00:12

PRETTY BEAT UP (Jagger, Richards, Wood) Yeah!!!
Just gotta make some moves and more to this one everytime. Love the instrumental outtake DogShit (RW) even more. Great BEAT by Charlie. Nobody comes near.
Remember : We would not have HEY NEGRITA without mister Wood.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-25 00:15 by RipThisBone.

Date: September 25, 2015 00:21

RipThisBone
PRETTY BEAT UP (Jagger, Richards, Wood) Yeah!!!
Just gotta make some moves and more to this one everytime. Love the instrumental outtake DogShit (RW) even more. Great BEAT by Charlie. Nobody comes near.
Remember : We would not have HEY NEGRITA without mister Wood.

aw c'mon that's like hitting a guy when he is down. ronnie has done lots of great work live with the stones, no reason to hold a 40 year old song from black and blue against him...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 25, 2015 20:27

treaclefingers
I know I'm off topic here but I've continued my stroll down memory lane with a playing of Emotional Rescue on vinyl...now on "Down In The Hole"...just lovely.

The 80s started so promising...Emotional Rescue, Tattoo You, Still Life, Undercover and then we get to 'State Of Shock', 'Just Another Night', 'Winning Ugly', 'Let's Work'....how did it all go so bad so quickly?

Because Mick got a taste of having his way on U with Undercover Of The Night and Too Much Blood and then went on a rampage with such brilliant turd shiners as Winning Ugly, Back To Zero, Hold Back, uhhhh, DIRTY WORK, SHE'S THE BOSS, Let's Work...

So the last Mick we knew was from most of U with songs like Pretty Beat Up, Tie Me Up and All The Way Down.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: March 25, 2021 11:43

Imo it's a great song!

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-25 11:46 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: March 26, 2021 18:29

KRiffhard
Imo it's a great song!

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

It indeed is!!!

Posted by: it's_all_wrong ()
Date: March 27, 2021 00:24

Yeah I think this one aged really well. Keith's bass playing is killer and those various interlocking riffs and note runs are basically perfect

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2053
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home