Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Petitioning Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame: Induct the MC5
Posted by: seitan ()
Date: November 21, 2013 20:33

Petitioning Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame
Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame: Induct the MC5 into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame

[www.change.org]

Re: Petitioning Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame: Induct the MC5
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 21, 2013 20:50

The list of acts on any such petition who should be inducted into the R n R Hall of Fame would be longer than 5 years worth of nominees.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-22 00:13 by stonehearted.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: November 21, 2013 20:52

this begs the question- why would anyone who ever listened to rock and roll care even the slightest little bit about this this bogus "rock and roll hall of fame"?

its more rock and roll to not show up at the pathetic little ceremony than to actually go.the fact that MC5 are not there and madonna is[seriously, fcking madonna] means it is actually living up to my name for it-"the rock and roll hall of lame"

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: November 21, 2013 22:33

lem motlow
this begs the question- why would anyone who ever listened to rock and roll care even the slightest little bit about this this bogus "rock and roll hall of fame"?

its more rock and roll to not show up at the pathetic little ceremony than to actually go.the fact that MC5 are not there and madonna is[seriously, fcking madonna] means it is actually living up to my name for it-"the rock and roll hall of lame"

That begs the question, if you don't care the slightest little bit, why take the time to respond?

One reason MC5 fans (I'm a casual one at best) might want this is because it's good for a band's legacy. People might go to the Hall of Fame and discover them for the first time. To be honest, I didn't know who they were until recently, they don't get a lot of exposure. I've never heard them once on the radio, and I heard 4 different bands (Presidents Of The United States Of America, Blue Oyster Cult, Rage Against The Machine and Pearl Jam) cover "Kick Out The Jams" before I ever heard the original. And just because the Hall may suck now, doesn't mean it should continue to. Some people would like for it to live up to its name more, and put less lame acts in there. These people organized a petition to try and make a positive move for the Hall, rather than sit around and gripe about it.

I'm not huge on their music, I like some of it, but they were very influential and probably belong. If Madonaa belongs, they belong. That's more constructive than Madonna is in there, so let's forget the whole concept.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: November 22, 2013 02:55

lem motlow

thumbs upAgreed, on all points.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 22, 2013 04:45

They're one of those groups which I know of, without actually knowing their music.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: November 22, 2013 06:03

I'm surprised they're not in, given Jan Wenner's wanting street cred for any band/artist that gets in. That's why Madonna's in. I'm surprised he actually let the Dave Clark Five and the Hollies in. He controls all this stuff. That's why the Monkees will never get in.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 22, 2013 12:41

MC5 are totally deserving. Sadly only 2 of them left now. I saw the DKT tour when they had Mark Arm & Marshall Crenshaw (!) sing. Amazing show. We got Kim Thayill from Soundgarden playing with them too. A rocking evening, to be sure. I bought the Primal Scream/MC5 @ Royal Albert Hall package. Really great show with the new singer from Alice in Chains singing. & John Sinclair comes out for Black to Comm. What more could you want? I've noticed that the Rock Hall is heavily skewed toward NYC. Lot of bands from the west coast & midwest have been passed by to this point. Hopefully that will change but I'm not holding my breath. At least the Stooges finally got in.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 22, 2013 18:31

Hey, it's a nice little place to go to. They have some great memorabilia, including Eddie Cochran stage clothes. You could make a Hall of Fame out of who's not in the Hall of Fame. But it's not worth getting upset about. Their Stones exhibit (the permanent one) is sparse and poorly curated. But the Hendrix one is pretty good. Although I liked the MC5, there are greater groups, Jethro Tull, the Moody Blues, etc, that should gain entrance first.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: November 22, 2013 18:34

MC5 Great Band emerging innovators of the punk movement and conquered their place in Rock-Historie from 1964-1972. Not being in The Hall of Fame makes MC5 for me more cool cause they were anti-establishment and dangerous at the time.

Date: November 22, 2013 22:41

Big Al
They're one of those groups which I know of, without actually knowing their music.

If you saw the movie on Valerie Solanas, I Shot Andy Warhol, you would have heard Kick Out The Jams in one brief scene.

Date: November 22, 2013 22:57

The first time I ever heard "Kick Out The Jams" was from a band called The Presidents Of The United States Of America, whose self-titled album was one of the best of the 90's in my opinion. They re-worked the lyrics quite a bit.

Pearl Jam does a good cover of it too, only live, no studio version. This one from Brisbane '06.

Date: November 22, 2013 23:16

NoCode0680
The first time I ever heard "Kick Out The Jams" was from a band called The Presidents Of The United States Of America, whose self-titled album was one of the best of the 90's in my opinion. They re-worked the lyrics quite a bit.

Pearl Jam does a good cover of it too, only live, no studio version. This one from Brisbane '06.

Love the PJ, have to part ways with you on PUSA. That guy is doing kiddie records now. Good place for him. Did you get tickets for PJ?

Date: November 22, 2013 23:20

crholmstrom
NoCode0680

Love the PJ, have to part ways with you on PUSA. That guy is doing kiddie records now. Good place for him. Did you get tickets for PJ?

Well, they fell off pretty quickly. The second album really blew and they faded away. But that self-titled album rocked I thought. It is pretty weird/quirky stuff, but I was a teenager so I liked it. And still do.

I did get Pearl Jam tickets, twice actually. I had fan club tickets for Dallas last Friday then went with my brother to Oklahoma City the next night and bought a pretty decent ticket off somebody. In OKC they played "Satan's Bed", my White Whale song. So I'm glad I went, I almost didn't go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-22 23:21 by NoCode0680.

Date: November 22, 2013 23:36

NoCode0680
crholmstrom
NoCode0680

Well, they fell off pretty quickly. The second album really blew and they faded away. But that self-titled album rocked I thought. It is pretty weird/quirky stuff, but I was a teenager so I liked it. And still do.

I did get Pearl Jam tickets, twice actually. I had fan club tickets for Dallas last Friday then went with my brother to Oklahoma City the next night and bought a pretty decent ticket off somebody. In OKC they played "Satan's Bed", my White Whale song. So I'm glad I went, I almost didn't go.

I snoozed & losed on the Seattle show. I've seen them so many times though, including small clubs in the early days. Budgetary considerations & such. Cool you got a White Whale. Going to NIN tonight & am very excited about that!

Date: November 23, 2013 00:17

crholmstrom
I snoozed & losed on the Seattle show. I've seen them so many times though, including small clubs in the early days. Budgetary considerations & such. Cool you got a White Whale. Going to NIN tonight & am very excited about that!

I'd love to see NIN again. I've only been once, in '95 on the Outside Tour with David Bowie. I haven't heard the new album yet but I bought it. The album cover is very reminiscent of The Downward Spiral era artwork which makes me kind of curious. I wonder if the music is at all similar. I was a huge NIN fan when I was 14/15 or so, around the time The Downward Spiral came out. I still liked them after that, but my musical tastes sort of shifted more towards guitar rock bands old and new. But there is some GREAT guitar on NIN songs, especially on The Downward Spiral and Broken.

Date: November 23, 2013 00:23

NoCode0680
crholmstrom

I'd love to see NIN again. I've only been once, in '95 on the Outside Tour with David Bowie. I haven't heard the new album yet but I bought it. The album cover is very reminiscent of The Downward Spiral era artwork which makes me kind of curious. I wonder if the music is at all similar. I was a huge NIN fan when I was 14/15 or so, around the time The Downward Spiral came out. I still liked them after that, but my musical tastes sort of shifted more towards guitar rock bands old and new. But there is some GREAT guitar on NIN songs, especially on The Downward Spiral and Broken.

"Hesitation Marks" is somewhat of a departure. I think its brilliant but I'm a pretty big fan of Trent's work. This cd is a little funkier. For your guitar jones, Adrian Belew is all over it & Lindsey Buckingham is on 3 songs! Sadly, Adrian bailed out on the tour but Robin Finck is back after Guns & Roses sojourn. He's got Pino Pallidino on bass & Lisa Fischer is doing back up vocal. Word is the lighting is revolutionary. I can't figure out how to post pictures but check out nin.com. I'd recommend the cd but its one of those that takes more than 1 listen to sink in. For me, that's the best kind.

Date: November 23, 2013 00:33

crholmstrom
NoCode0680
crholmstrom

"Hesitation Marks" is somewhat of a departure. I think its brilliant but I'm a pretty big fan of Trent's work. This cd is a little funkier. For your guitar jones, Adrian Belew is all over it & Lindsey Buckingham is on 3 songs! Sadly, Adrian bailed out on the tour but Robin Finck is back after Guns & Roses sojourn. He's got Pino Pallidino on bass & Lisa Fischer is doing back up vocal. Word is the lighting is revolutionary. I can't figure out how to post pictures but check out nin.com. I'd recommend the cd but its one of those that takes more than 1 listen to sink in. For me, that's the best kind.

I've been very curious to hear how Lindsey will fit in with Trent. I like both, but have a hard time imagining them together. I don't mind a departure, seems everything Trent does is a departure from the previous thing. The only thing I've never really been on board with was the Ghosts I-IV. It doesn't sound bad or anything, and it's an interesting concept, but I just can't listen to 109 minutes of instrumental/ambient music.

Date: November 23, 2013 00:41

NoCode0680
crholmstrom
NoCode0680
crholmstrom

I've been very curious to hear how Lindsey will fit in with Trent. I like both, but have a hard time imagining them together. I don't mind a departure, seems everything Trent does is a departure from the previous thing. The only thing I've never really been on board with was the Ghosts I-IV. It doesn't sound bad or anything, and it's an interesting concept, but I just can't listen to 109 minutes of instrumental/ambient music.

I've even enjoyed his soundtrack work. For me "Ghosts" is good Sunday morning chill out music. In my wild youth, would've been good for "rasta" hour.smoking smiley

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: November 23, 2013 01:16

24FPS
Hey, it's a nice little place to go to. They have some great memorabilia, including Eddie Cochran stage clothes. You could make a Hall of Fame out of who's not in the Hall of Fame. But it's not worth getting upset about. Their Stones exhibit (the permanent one) is sparse and poorly curated. But the Hendrix one is pretty good. Although I liked the MC5, there are greater groups, Jethro Tull, the Moody Blues, etc, that should gain entrance first.

when i went they had britney spears stage clothes on display,there's no coming back from that.it does have some cool stuff there but its really just a glorified hard rock cafe.too bad someone doesnt build one that is jusr rock and roll.jan wenner seems to think the definition is anyone who has been on his magazine cover.maybe in a few years he'll induct that kid who set off the bomb at the boston marathon.

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: November 23, 2013 01:31

great version of chuck berry's Back in the USA

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 23, 2013 01:44

Here's an easy listening version featuring R.Derringer-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-23 01:54 by Chris Fountain.

Date: November 23, 2013 02:31

An important influence on bands like Motor City 5 are worth mentioning: Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels, from the mid-60s, who developed a frenetically up-tempo approach to rock n soul, without which the likes of Bob Seger System, MC5, and Iggy and the Stooges might not have gotten the idea to play their music with such ferociously hyper rhythms.

Are they in the rock hall? If not, they should be as well....

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 23, 2013 05:17

I sat on stage with the Detroit Wheels in a small place in the fall of '66. They were incendiary. A much, much more important rock and roll band than the MC5.

Date: November 23, 2013 05:25

stonehearted
An important influence on bands like Motor City 5 are worth mentioning: Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels, from the mid-60s, who developed a frenetically up-tempo approach to rock n soul, without which the likes of Bob Seger System, MC5, and Iggy and the Stooges might not have gotten the idea to play their music with such ferociously hyper rhythms.

Are they in the rock hall? If not, they should be as well....

nice to see something positive come from this silly idea thread.

I petition you to start an OT re MR&DW,
if ANY dang OT group deserves it s thread they do.
I would just do it... but it is your idea... but if you dont, I will.

EVERYBODY DANCE !!!!

Date: November 23, 2013 10:34

Max'sKansasCity
I petition you to start an OT re MR&DW,
if ANY dang OT group deserves it s thread they do.
I would just do it... but it is your idea... but if you dont, I will.

EVERYBODY DANCE !!!!

That's a lovely idea, but it would probably just get merged into the "Favorite Video" thread.

So why don't you start one, and we'll just see what happens?

thumbs up

Date: November 23, 2013 11:25

stonehearted
That's a lovely idea, but it would probably just get merged into the "Favorite Video" thread.
Yeah, I didnt think of that, it probably would, well anyway...
Great Tip of the hat to Mitch Ryder The Detroit Wheels.

Posted by: Dark Horse 77 ()
Date: November 23, 2013 20:03

The MC5 and The Stooges should be inducted at the same time.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: November 23, 2013 20:05

Dark Horse 77
The MC5 and The Stooges should be inducted at the same time.

The Stooges are already inducted

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1605
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home