Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Emotional Rescue!?!?!
Posted by: Coolbloke ()
Date: May 7, 2005 16:24

Have the Stones ever sang Emotional Rescue at a concert? If they have,is it available on a cd?

Thank you for your help!

Cheers

Re: Emotional Rescue!?!?!
Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: May 7, 2005 16:28

Never

Posted by: Coolbloke ()
Date: May 7, 2005 16:37

Thanks Potted Shrimp. Do you have a guess why they never chose this song for a concert?

Just Curious!

Cheers

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: May 7, 2005 16:40

Because it sucks?

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: May 7, 2005 17:00

I think the vocals are to difficult for Jagger (live). But then: he also nailed Worried about you during the Licks tour.

Posted by: smilingsun ()
Date: May 7, 2005 17:38

But the best about Worried are the non-falsetto parts anyway. And it has great lyrics, unlike ER. Hope they won't try to resurrect this one, it would look seriously silly I think.

Posted by: SixtiesDave ()
Date: May 7, 2005 18:24

I think they should give it ago. They may risk looking seriously silly, but as Keef has said, it's better than sucide.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 7, 2005 21:17

Please don't play Emotional Rescue.

When the single first came out, I couldn't believe it was the Stones.
The vocals are horrible, and the bass line sounds as if it was played by a retarded child.
(Nothing personal against handicapped people, just comparing Bill to one of them for this song).

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: May 7, 2005 21:25

Hairball, the bass line was the only thing that saved the ER single from total mediocrity. I almost cried when I first heard it on the radio, because I was thinking, "WTF happened to my favorite band?" However, I bought the album, and there's some good stuff on it.

Contrast this to when I first heard "Start Me Up" in '81, on the radio at a specialty beer outlet. I wanted to dance in the aisles, but my girlfriend thankfully kept me from doing so LOL.

Posted by: jeanmarie ()
Date: May 7, 2005 22:08

as for "Dance", one of the good surprise of the licks tour, I'll be curious to hear ER live. always like those two "dance" Stones' song from ER album (in the air in the fall 70), with down in the hole, the 3 songs of ER I like.

Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: May 8, 2005 15:47

I've listened to ER so many times I can't even remember what it sounds like!

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Posted by: Esky ()
Date: May 8, 2005 16:19

marvpeck Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Because it sucks?
>
>
> drummer

very funny...and agree.

Re: Emotional Rescue
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 8, 2005 16:59

that's Ronnie on bass in ER, isn't it?
and whatever reason they've never played it in concert is good enough for me.

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: May 8, 2005 17:21

I don't agree it's a bad song - just a change of direction which does not suit everyones taste. I much prefer it to some of the latterday routine rockers which sound typically Stones but lack any originality or inspiration.
Mick can still sing in falsetto but unlike some i thought he ruined Worried about You on the last tour as it was way over the top and very insensitive to the song's strength.

Posted by: Miss U. ()
Date: May 8, 2005 19:32

Very true Edward.

That's what we need, more falsetto! They should play all these: Emotional Rescue (possibly one of the top 5 stones videos), Slave, Worried Bout You, Time Waits For No One, Citadel, Gomper, Hot Stuff, Short & Curlies, Luxury, Drive, Keys To Your Love, Dance Little Sister, Slippin Away, Break The Spell, Lady Jane, One Hit to the Body, Too Rude, Look What You've Done, Off The Hook....

[p207.ezboard.com]

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: May 8, 2005 19:44

If you 2 above here Mr Twining and Ms U will have your dreams come true about more falsetto I long for Keith & Winos next tour. Happily La Jagger (Charlies singer) doesnt reach his old gayish high notes anymore...

Posted by: Deidre ()
Date: May 8, 2005 19:54

Hairball - It's Retarded Ronnie on Bass there! (Actually I think it suits the song). That one should have been an out-take. Or just a single on its own - and something from Tattoo in its place.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 8, 2005 21:43

Hey folks you ALL missed the point on this one!!!!!!! Charlie is the deal on this one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 8, 2005 22:16

Retarded Ronnie on Bass?
I guess I should have guessed that.

Bill would have added a little more "oomph" had he been given the chore, and it may have sounded more like Miss You perhaps.
Instead, it sounds like the theme song to a childrens cartoon show the way Ronnie plays it.

Posted by: Deidre ()
Date: May 9, 2005 11:10

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a fun song in a way...........but not Stones material. More suitable for Jagger album.

But the title was 'cool' and maybe that's why it became title track on the album?

Also, the only really commercial track - just wish there wasn't the 'inevitable' link between album track as single.

One reason Highwire was so refreshing.

Woof.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 9, 2005 12:21

Ronnie indeed plays on bass. The rhythm section is about the only decent thing on it.

Its an awful song. Thank God theyve never performed it live. Ever since it came out, when I hear it on the radio I have to listen to it sitting behind the settee, because I'm so embarrassed. Unquestionably the worst single of the band's career. After the high water mark that was "Some Girls", you can only imagine the horror that greeted Stones fans on hearing THIS for the first time as the choice of first single for the follow up album.

And that crooning "I will be your knight in shining armour.." nonsense makes Mick sound like a paedophile whispering to a child.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-09 12:21 by Gazza.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 9, 2005 13:28

It is a horrible song, but I am pervert enough to admit that I like it... The lyrics are one of the best ever... And in the video the close-up image of Jagger mimicing those lines Gazza just quated is absolutely superb...

Is it really a cheap trick, just a wannabe-commercial thing? I have always viewed it rather as a tongue-in-the-cheek attempt to do something funny. Jagger playing with his own public image and reputation, and the band making fun of the sounds of the day. And the effect of Stones shocking their fans with something totally different and extra-ordinary is not an every day business. Almost a Dylanisque move. And even ever-critical John Lennon was impressed of that!

(Well, I need to say that I wasn't a fan yet at the time, so I don't have the first hand experience of how it might sounded and felt in the ears of a hardcore fan. And by the way, I got hooked by "Start Me Up", a year later, and no way I could have ever fallen into "Emotional Rescue"!).

Okay, I have to admit that the song does sound odd in 40 Licks, as does "Fool To Cry", like asking some further explanations for being there...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-09 13:29 by Doxa.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: May 9, 2005 13:43

It's a very witty song, just like the album...!

"got to be worked on
don't have no bark nor bite..."

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 9, 2005 14:59

"It's a very witty song, just like the album...!"

Yes, it is. I think the greatness of the whole ALBUM can really be seen now years afterwards of its heyday (and that is mostly due to by comparing it to the albums released after). Perhaps part of the album, the title song for sure, was "too much" for the listeners (critics and hardcore fans) of the day of its release. I remember being horrified hearing the album first time. But it has really grown upon me and I have learned to appreciate the uniqueness of the sound of the BAND at the time: it has its own typical edge and witty attitude. And that chaotic and loose but so NATURAL groove. That sort of wild and nasty effect that has been so rare since Undercover or something. I miss that band. On Emotional Rescue the band still sounded unpredictable and dangerous. And capable of adopting new musical ideas and forms.

Perhaps part of the reason of the bad reputation of Emotional Rescue was that the way band sounded and rocked at the time was so expected and 'natural' then that no one really recognized its uniqueness (a bit like Exile was seen years before). The seeming weakness of its material, with its flirting with disco, reggae and dance music, at least compared to hit album Some Girls, and later, to retro-sounding follower Tattoo You, made it sound as a failure in Stones catalog. But I think it is a vital part of one (last) great phase of The Stones as a true living and touring band; together with SG and TY, ER forms a great trilogy, that is, a material that was a strong and current basis for the great 1981/82 World Tour.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-09 15:06 by Doxa.

Re: Emotional Rescue
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 9, 2005 15:13

a knight in armor in a desert would be *toast*.

i remember the shock of hearing this when it came out too. but yeah: when i finally got my faculties back i decided it must be meant as a form of humor. deeply offensive humor, mind you - where the hell are the guitars?!
but then ... what fun is it being the Rolling Stones if you aren't offending anybody? i forgave them.

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 9, 2005 15:14

I forgave them too..lol

but that still doesnt mean I want to be subjected to it in concert!

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: May 9, 2005 18:22

Don't think there is any need to play this live. Too many other great songs that would work much better live and don't think Keith is particularly fond of this tune either.

Give She Was Hot a chance live.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 9, 2005 22:28

It won't be played live due to a lack of guitars in the song. Wait, isn't that everyone's griping about?

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: May 9, 2005 22:47

Doesn't sound like a Stones song and doesn't seem to be a favorite of Mick or Keith's. Would rather hear them do some stuff from Dirty Work. I think some of those songs would work very well live.

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: May 9, 2005 23:12

I'm in the minority when I say that I like "Emotional Rescue", both the album and the single. I agree that the Stones still sounded a little flirty, dangerous and adventurous with the project, and it was a unique album in its own right. On the single, Charlie lays down some great percussion and it's hard for me not to tap my foot when I hear the song. And I really think there are some underrated tunes on the album.

I wouldn't mind hearing some EM tracks in concert, particularly "She's So Cold", but I doubt we ever will again (for better or for worse)! Please correct me if I'm wrong, but is "Let Me Go" (from "Still Life") the last time any tracks from the EM album have been played live?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-09 23:13 by sf37.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1862
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home