Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - Bob Dylan 43cd set
Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: November 16, 2013 14:47

Has anyone bought this ? Which albums are improved upon by the remastering ?

Re: OT - Bob Dylan 43cd set
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 16, 2013 14:50

Completely unnecessary. Everything was already released earlier ...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: ab ()
Date: November 16, 2013 15:29

Yes, it was all released earlier, but 14 of the 41 albums are newly remastered, and it includes a two-disc Side Tracks set that gathers all the leftovers from Biograph, the Greatest Hits sets, and a few others. It's also nice to have the core of Dylan's catalog in a nice little cube. It's great for car trips! I haven't had time to plow through the whole thing, but 47 discs for $180 with an attractive hard cover booklet is a bargain.

Sony has been repackaging a lot of their catalog artists' albums in similar complete album sets. There were the Leonard Cohen and Byrds sets from a couple years ago, then all the jazz and fusion sets last year, and now the Dylan and Paul Simon sets this year.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: November 16, 2013 16:01

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: November 16, 2013 16:02

Albums improved by new mastering : Self Portrait, Billy The Kid ST, Hard Rain, Street Legal (though it's the original mix here), Live at Budokan, Saved, Real Live.
Other albums from the 80's aren't really improved in any way in my opinion, though they sound less harsh than the original CD's.

The surprise is the improvement on the albums Time Out Of Mind, Love and Theft, Modern Times and Together Through Life. They seem to have been newly mastered for the box set and sound slightly different (and better to my ears). It's very subtle though.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 16, 2013 16:05

Great Decision - The best version ever of All Along the Watch Tower is on that vinyl!

Date: November 16, 2013 16:44

kowalski
Albums improved by new mastering : Self Portrait, Billy The Kid ST, Hard Rain, Street Legal (though it's the original mix here), Live at Budokan, Saved, Real Live.
Other albums from the 80's aren't really improved in any way in my opinion, though they sound less harsh than the original CD's.

The surprise is the improvement on the albums Time Out Of Mind, Love and Theft, Modern Times and Together Through Life. They seem to have been newly mastered for the box set and sound slightly different (and better to my ears). It's very subtle though.

there are 14 newly remastered albums in this set:
1. Self Portrait
2. Dylan
3. Pat Garrett
4. Hard Rain
5. Street Legal
6. Live at Budokan
7. Saved
8. Real Live
9. Empire Burlesque
10. Knocked Out Loaded
11. Down in the Groove
12. Under the Red Sky
13. Good as I Been to You
14. World Gone Wrong

the ones you mentioned have not been touched as far as dylan and the press releases have stated

Date: November 16, 2013 16:51

keefriffhard4life
kowalski

1. Self Portrait
2. Dylan
3. Pat Garrett
4. Hard Rain
5. Street Legal
6. Live at Budokan
7. Saved
8. Real Live
9. Empire Burlesque
10. Knocked Out Loaded
11. Down in the Groove
12. Under the Red Sky
14. World Gone Wrong

the ones you mentioned have not been touched as far as dylan and the press releases have stated

But the mastering is different and the new CD's sound slightly different. Time Out Of Mind is maybe the most noticeable.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 16, 2013 17:12

I wonder what impact new sound technology will have on Hard Rain. SIOMWTMBA is outstanding on this CD as it is.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: November 16, 2013 17:37

Chris Fountain

Great Decision - The best version ever of All Along the Watch Tower is on that vinyl!

I used to blast that loud, effin loud!! This was Dylan+The Band taking the Jimi Hendrix version and revving it up. Same as Hendrix revved up the sleepy original by Dylan

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: November 16, 2013 20:19

Well,

Though I've got most of them, I'll also get this. I have Hard Rain on CBS cd from the 80s, and it sounds really thin, ditto Self Portrait.

Date: November 17, 2013 01:17

kowalski
keefriffhard4life
kowalski

1. Self Portrait
2. Dylan
3. Pat Garrett
4. Hard Rain
5. Street Legal
6. Live at Budokan
7. Saved
8. Real Live
9. Empire Burlesque
10. Knocked Out Loaded
11. Down in the Groove
12. Under the Red Sky
14. World Gone Wrong

But the mastering is different and the new CD's sound slightly different. Time Out Of Mind is maybe the most noticeable.

i'm just telling you what dylan and the press releases have stated. they made a big deal to mention 14 of the albums have been newly remastered for this set and those were the ones mentioned

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 17, 2013 01:28

Positively 43cd Set...

Date: November 17, 2013 02:38

Initially Sony Music stated the Harmonica-Housed USB Drive contains FLAC format(24bit/44.1kbps) files
but
it was suddenly changed to 16bit/44.1kps Flac at the end of October.
What's wrong with them?sad smiley

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: November 17, 2013 04:05

I have an beat up tape cassette version of 'Biograph.' Would like to get specific tracks from that and also ones from that 'Side Tracks' set if they are available from iTunes.

The 'Biograph' set is one of my favorite collections, I probably should get all of it.

Date: November 17, 2013 04:21

Side Tracks: Songs From Compilations is due out later this month.

1. A1 Baby, I'm in the Mood for You
2. A2 Mixed - Up Confusion (Single Version)
3. A3 Tomorrow Is a Long Time
4. A4 Lay Down Your Weary Tune
5. A5 Percy's Song
6. B1 I'll Keep It with Mine
7. B2 Can You Please Crawl out Your Window? (Single Version)
8. B3 Positively 4th Street
9. B4 Jet Pilot
10. B5 I Wanna Be Your Lover
11. B6 I Don't Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met) (Live)

1. A1 Visions of Johanna (Live)
2. A2 Quinn the Eskimo (The Mighty Quinn)
3. A3 Watching the River Flow
4. A4 When I Paint My Masterpiece
5. A5 Down in the Flood (Live)
6. A6 I Shall Be Released
7. B1 You Ain't Goin' Nowhere
8. B2 George Jackson (Acoustic Version)
9. B3 Forever Young
10. B4 You're a Big Girl Now
11. B5 Up to Me

1. A1 Abandoned Love
2. A2 Isis (Live)
3. A3 Romance in Durango (Live)
4. A4 Caribbean Wind
5. B1 Heart of Mine (Live)
6. B2 Series of Dreams
7. B3 Dignity (Alternate Version)
8. B4 Things Have Changed

Date: November 17, 2013 16:46

keefriffhard4life
kowalski

i'm just telling you what dylan and the press releases have stated. they made a big deal to mention 14 of the albums have been newly remastered for this set and those were the ones mentioned

Well I'm sharing here what I've found on the new CD's. When I started to listen to the new Time Out Of Mind, difference in sound was obvious. Then I went to check the wav files through an audio editor and it appeared that the mastering is slightly different on the new releases.

I'm not saying they did a whole new remastering as with the 14 "newly remastered" albums, but the 4 albums I've mentionned were obviously mastered again specifically for the box set.

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: November 17, 2013 19:13

Come On
Completely unnecessary. Everything was already released earlier ...

ouch, i didn't know you can be serious...

Posted by: Yazid Manou ()
Date: November 18, 2013 16:07

I've seen the crazy and amazing new interactive video "Like A Rolling Stone". It's coming very very soon spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

[www.bobdylan.com]

YM

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 19, 2013 17:54

Yazid Manou
I've seen the crazy and amazing new interactive video "Like A Rolling Stone". It's coming very very soon spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

[www.bobdylan.com]

YM

It's out now. This is incredibly amazing, imho.

[video.bobdylan.com]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 5, 2013 20:06

"Last year Sony/Legacy snuck out a small number of Bob Dylan 50th Anniversary box sets to prevent the recordings from entering the public domain – the so called ‘use it or lose it’ strategy in terms of copyright. Only 100 of these four-CD sets were said to have been made available to the public through independent stores in Europe.

It seems they the label have deployed the same strategy in 2013 but are going the vinyl route this time around. The 50th Anniversary Collection 1963 is a vinyl box this time, a six-LP set in fact, which features a mixture of previously unreleased studio and live recordings from 1963 (see full track listings below).

It’s not particularly clear exactly how many are being produced, but it does appear to be hundreds, rather than thousands. What’s confusing is that these are supposed to be distributed via independent record shops, but have now turned up on Amazon. Quite how or why Amazon have these remains to be seen. It seems rather unlikely that they will be able to fulfil orders for a product where demand will massively outweigh supply, even at the high prices being charged, unless the production run is higher than it is rumoured to be."

[www.superdeluxeedition.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1816
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home