Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7
Re: OT: Abba to reunite in 2014???
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 15, 2013 16:00

shattered
Nope, I'm serious. I heard it driving home on BBC radio that Dancing Queen is is Keith's favorite. Got a laugh out of it cause I secretly liked the same song for years. You know, kinda like some of those disco beats. Shhhhhhhh, don't say that too loud on a Stones forum.

Really hard to believe...must have been a fake-voice on Keiths behalf...

2 1 2 0

Re: OT: Abba reunited in 2018
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 27, 2018 17:30

ABBA return after 35 years with two new songs

By Anita Singh, arts and entertainment editor 27 APRIL 2018 · 12:57PM

ABBA have reunited to record their first new material in 35 years.

In a surprise announcement, the band said it was “like time had stood still” when they got together again.

They have recorded two new songs, one of which - I Still Have Faith In You - will be unveiled at the end of the year.

The four band members have been working together to plan a tour in which virtual reality avatars perform their songs.

A joint statement from Bjorn Ulvaeus, Benny Andersson, Agnetha Faltskog and Anni-Frid Lyngstad said: “The decision to go ahead with the exciting ABBA avatar tour project had an unexpected consequence.

"We all four felt that, after some 35 years, it could be fun to join forces again and get into the recording studio. So we did. And it was like time had stood still and that we only had been away on a short holiday. An extremely joyful experience!

“It resulted in two new songs and one of them, I Still Have Faith In You, will be performed by our digital selves in a TV special produced by NBC and the BBC aimed for broadcasting in December.

We may have come of age, but the song is new. And it feels good.”

In 2016, the foursome performed together on stage in Stockholm for the first time in more than 30 years, at a private party.

They split in 1982 and were reported to have turned down a $1 billion offer to reform in 2000.

[www.Telegraph.co.uk] , [www.NYTimes.com]

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: April 27, 2018 17:37

as said NYTimes " Mamma Mia! "

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: April 27, 2018 17:42

Come On
shattered
Nope, I'm serious. I heard it driving home on BBC radio that Dancing Queen is is Keith's favorite. Got a laugh out of it cause I secretly liked the same song for years. You know, kinda like some of those disco beats. Shhhhhhhh, don't say that too loud on a Stones forum.

Really hard to believe...must have been a fake-voice on Keiths behalf...

Actually not that hard to believe... I was on the dancefloor during the No Security tour closing party after the 2nd show in San Jose and when Dancing Queen came on, everybody had a good time. And I mean EVERYBODY, including Mick, Keith and Ronnie. The latter two weren't dancing, though, just standing there, chatting with people and simply having a good time.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: April 27, 2018 18:07

abba,s potential income and popularity would have been epic if they hadnt broke up in 1982 and continued in the same way the stones did.

but i think reforming and touring is a no go. theres been too big a gap, im not saying they wont give a good show or write some decent songs but i just cant see where they expect to go with this.

some things are better left alone.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 27, 2018 18:15

Would be great if they could find songs of the quality of "SOS' and "Waterloo".

The avatar tour sounds interesting. May be the wave of the future - seeing Elvis, Hendrix, etc...

Re: OT: Abba reunited in 2018
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 27, 2018 18:30

buttons67

but i think reforming and touring is a no go.

"Ulvaeus revealed earlier this month that digitally created virtual band members - 'Abbatars' - would perform in a television show in 2018, followed by a tour in 2019 or 2020." - [www.NYTimes.com]

'Abbatars': Mick & Keith could be interested in - Warhorses forever .... grinning smiley

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 27, 2018 19:11

buttons67
abba,s potential income and popularity would have been epic if they hadnt broke up in 1982 and continued in the same way the stones did.

but i think reforming and touring is a no go. theres been too big a gap, im not saying they wont give a good show or write some decent songs but i just cant see where they expect to go with this.

Well,CREAM broke up in 1968 and then came back in 2005 for a short series of concerts.
So never say never.

Even the Spice Girls are doing a (sort of) reunion.
Maybe we will even see a new Stones album?

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: April 27, 2018 19:37

I always wasn´t interested in "everybody´s darlings" like ABBA.

No:

In 1978 everybody loved ABBA, I chose Boney M.! >grinning smiley<

YES:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-27 19:42 by TooTough.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: April 27, 2018 20:11

shattered

Admittedly, I have always loved Dancing Queen. I don't know what it was about ABBA because I was never into disco but I liked many of their songs. In fact, I have their Greatest Hits CD in my car, and my granddaughters want me to play it! For some reason, they don't want to listen to my Stones CD's.

Date: April 27, 2018 20:23

ive a got a story regarding abba.

many years ago while in the forces and on excercise in cyprus i had a collection of stones tapes, a few others and 1 abba greatest hits collection. the guys i was sharing with in the camp would help thierselves to the use of my tapes as i left the collection visible in my locker, i liked to promote the stones so didnt mind and they were always put back before the night was out.

a few weeks later on discussion about the stones it came to my knowledge that i assumed wrongly a few folk were borrowing stones tapes and in fact none of them were and instead they were borrowing my abba tape.

talk about disappointment.

always liked

tropical loveland
angel eyes
i have a dream
thats me
tiger
arrival
does your mother know
why does it have to be me

and ofcoure the well known hits too.

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: April 28, 2018 00:07

This is actually MUCH bigger news than yet another over-wrought, over-priced tour by "The Oldest Rock n Roll Band in The World". I'm pumped! >grinning smiley<

Date: April 28, 2018 00:11

ABBA won't appear live on stage anymore, at least not the female singers. Just projections of ancient times.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 28, 2018 00:15

A funny thing is that when ABBA was a hit in sweden you weren't supposed to like them in certain circles. They were looked down on. Because they were commercial.
That was an invective back then. Hard to grasp in these neoliberal times we're having now.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 28, 2018 00:25

buttons67

They had already exhausted the capacity for top-notch material by 1981.

That year there was the hit song Pooper Scooper, but that wasn't too good compared to their earlier stuff.

Then the next year something with 80s production drum beat bits and no melody.

It wouldn't have been fun either watching Agnetha and Anni-Frid growing old in public.

After age 40, mid-40s at the latest, an artist becomes too old for hits, and for a pop act hits are everything. There would have been no rock radio support to buoy their careers and justify new tours.

The girls were the selling point.

Even when all four were photographed together, it was still always about the girls.

Just show me one ABBA photo where the guys are in the forefront and the girls are in the background.

Date: April 28, 2018 00:31

ofcourse the girls were the selling point, they were extremely beautiful, had great voices and were excellent at singing, but the men wrote the music and played the instruments. i think like most bands that stay together a long time they would have deteriorated over time, but i think they could have had another 15 years together, the public would have accepted that in the same way they accept the longevity of bowie, elton john, the stones, u2 etc.

Date: April 28, 2018 00:32

You don't know what you are talking about, Stonehearted.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 28, 2018 00:37

So like a rock music forum -- the sort of snarky, dismissive response you'd get from a 14 year old. eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 28, 2018 01:02

The girls were in front of the pictures because they are shorter.

Date: April 28, 2018 02:05

stonehearted
So like a rock music forum -- the sort of snarky, dismissive response you'd get from a 14 year old. eye rolling smiley

No, that's my opinion. I can break it down if you want:

"They had already exhausted the capacity for top-notch material by 1981".

How can you possibly know that? No one can know that. They stopped.

"It wouldn't have been fun either watching Agnetha and Anni-Frid growing old in public.

After age 40, mid-40s at the latest, an artist becomes too old for hits, and for a pop act hits are everything. There would have been no rock radio support to buoy their careers and justify new tours."

But you do think it's fun to watch Keith and Mick hitting 75? You don't think they are too old for hits? If you can remember when they last had one?

Date: April 28, 2018 02:13

The real reason ABBA broke up was because Agneta didn't want to tour anymore. And the fact that they had marital issues. They were later divorced. It had nothing to do with lack of material or popularity.
When they stopped they were as popular as ever. They could have gone on for years. But they didn't.

Date: April 28, 2018 13:13

Stoneage
The real reason ABBA broke up was because Agneta didn't want to tour anymore. And the fact that they had marital issues. They were later divorced. It had nothing to do with lack of material or popularity.
When they stopped they were as popular as ever. They could have gone on for years. But they didn't.

As far as I read about it they lacked inspiration to write really good new songs, hence they split for musical reasons as well.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 28, 2018 15:21

TheflyingDutchman
Stoneage

As far as I read about it they lacked inspiration to write really good new songs, hence they split for musical reasons as well.

Well, that hasn't stopped Mick and Keith for keeping the show on the road, has it?

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: April 28, 2018 16:40

This is great news ABBA getting back together I'll be playing all my ABBA records this weekend..smileys with beer

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-29 04:05 by colonial.

Posted by: Stonesfan62 ()
Date: April 28, 2018 16:45

Abba were simply light years ahead of the Stones in terms of popularity and record sales.

Date: April 28, 2018 17:41

stonehearted

You're right, Stonehearted. My response was dismissive and blunt. Sorry for that. Thanks for letting me know. I didn't agree with your assertions but my response was, all the same, uncalled for.

Date: April 28, 2018 17:47

i agree that agnetha didnt want to tour anymore, also she hated flying which probably played a big part in her decision.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: April 28, 2018 18:18

Stonesfan62
Abba were simply light years ahead of the Stones in terms of popularity and record sales.

This only proves one thing,that most people have atrocious taste.

Nate

Date: April 28, 2018 21:47

jlowe
TheflyingDutchman
Stoneage

Well, that hasn't stopped Mick and Keith for keeping the show on the road, has it?

Correct Sir. The Dutch royal house is doing it for ages already.

On a more serious note: I think that ABBA set the musical bar for themselves a bit higher than the Stones.

Date: April 28, 2018 22:07

One thing to add here is the fact that the core of ABBA, the song writing duo, remained intact even after the split. Instead they wrote musicals and other projects.
There was never any animosity between the two. So, of course they could have gone on making ABBA records if they had wanted to. But they didn't.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1394
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home