Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Should the baby boomers "leave the stage" ....... ?
Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: November 6, 2013 01:22

Not at all. Baby boomers should not give a shit about metaphical questions about what is the right thing to do when they are old; just do what you can and what you want.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 6, 2013 02:50

It's similar to how people feel about an artist or band. I can't stand Elton John, so I don't buy his records or go see him live. Does it matter that he's still going? To the Elton John fans it does. It doesn't bother me in any way. I could not care less.

It's one thing when they lose a step or can't hit a note or have trouble playing their guitar or can't play as long as they used to and on and on - it's up to the person to pay for seeing them live knowing they're not what they were. To declare them awesome or great or fantastic is relative to now. "It was a great show". OK. You enjoyed it. But no one is being fooled. In regard to the money, it's amazing how the cost of something may not equal the performance. Still you enjoyed it.

Isn't that what counts? Being a fan of someone but opting to not go see them live because of whatever makes one no less of a fan. However, if the fans stop going, well, time to hang it up. Isn't that what happens? Who's stopped touring because the fans stopped showing up? I don't know.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 6, 2013 09:16

His Majesty
treaclefingers
Silver Dagger

The guy is clearly a pretentious prat, an old junkie who got caught smoking heroin on then Prime Minister's John Major's plane.

He can't be all bad then, can he?

Indeed, but he is a pretentious prat and he probably wouldn't disagree with someone calling him that. grinning smiley

Well he may be a pretentious prat but at least he's agreeable.

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: November 6, 2013 16:03

Not at all. Ageism is all in the mind. And I say, it ain't over 'til it's over! If you're able to perform and do it quite well, and if you can still attract an appreciative audience..then why not? There are so many young, one-hit-wonders (if they even achieve that) out there nowadays that have absolutely nothing to offer that it's pathetic. But if you do, regardless your age, then go for it!!

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: November 7, 2013 01:36

Thommie, I don't agree with the author of that article because I sure don't go to see the Stones to see if " they'll keel over"....I am not into gallows humor...and if I thought the Stones were going to embarrass themselves in ANY WAY, I would stay home because it would hurt and embarrass me to witness that. Yes, the old bluesmen played until they died...Hubert Sumlin for one...saw him at MSG with the Stones and that guy could still play! I think Mick might not like the idea of limping onto the stage, and I'm glad he has pride and would spare us that sight. And I totally agree with you...it IS up to the artists to decide when they'll quit. It's their life, meaning music is at the center of their lives, so it would feel unnatural NOT to carry on.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: November 14, 2013 20:14

angee
Claire_M
jamesfdouglas
Saw Eric Burdon this summer at a local festival, put the mainstage kiddes (Fun.) to SHAME.

That's the key. If someone can't deliver the goods anymore (no matter what age), then perhaps it's time to move along. But every time I've seen the Stones, they blew the opening act - usually someone decades younger - off the stage.

Excellent point, Claire.

As for Mick's state of dress, if anything, he is too restrained now--keep going, Mick! thumbs up

If you can still deliever a great show to your fans, and you want to keep doing it, why stop?

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: November 15, 2013 15:21

jamesfdouglas
angee
Claire_M
jamesfdouglas
Saw Eric Burdon this summer at a local festival, put the mainstage kiddes (Fun.) to SHAME.

That's the key. If someone can't deliver the goods anymore (no matter what age), then perhaps it's time to move along. But every time I've seen the Stones, they blew the opening act - usually someone decades younger - off the stage.

Excellent point, Claire.

As for Mick's state of dress, if anything, he is too restrained now--keep going, Mick! thumbs up

If you can still deliever a great show to your fans, and you want to keep doing it, why stop?

Well Ronnie and Mick T. certainly have done that!

Posted by: ssprings ()
Date: November 22, 2013 16:58

latebloomer
A very stupid article that makes no sense. There's nothing new about aging artists continuing to do what they do. Picasso was still painting right up until he died at 90 years old and nobody told him to get out of the way for younger painters. Margot Fonteyn continued to dance until she was 60, considered ancient in the dance world. Louis Armstrong, Tony Bennett, who's still performing...there are many examples of creative people, who were not of the baby boom generation, continuing to do their thing long past youth.

Most young artists look up to the generation that precedes them, and are thrilled to be in the same room with those masters.

Right on... I am seeing Tony Bennett next Saturday in Atlantic City, and can't wait.

...Misbred Grey Executive...

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: November 22, 2013 18:15

Bellajane
jamesfdouglas
angee
Claire_M
jamesfdouglas

Excellent point, Claire.

Well Ronnie and Mick T. certainly have done that!

thumbs up Haven't they just ! I thought that RAH show of theirs was one of the best things I've ever attended in my life, I only hope that at some point in time (i.e. when the Stones are not doing their thing) they do more of those shows, whether they be a tribute to Jimmy Reed (again) - or someone else

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 22, 2013 18:37

Technically, Ronnie Wood and Mick Taylor are the only 'Baby Boomers' in the Rolling Stones. It's anyone born in the immediate years after the Second World War, right?

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: November 22, 2013 18:48

Baby Boomers; (1946-1964)
Eric Burdon is born 1941! His show I've seen some years ago was Rock & Roll.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 22, 2013 18:54

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-22 18:56 by Big Al.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: November 22, 2013 23:45

While I thought Will Self's liner notes on Warren Zevon's last album, Genius, were brilliantly funny, this article is pretentious, wordy drivel. He comes across as quite the snollygoster.
smoking smiley

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 23, 2013 02:42

memphiscats
While I thought Will Self's liner notes on Warren Zevon's last album, Genius, were brilliantly funny, this article is pretentious, wordy drivel. He comes across as quite the snollygoster.
smoking smiley

You learn new words all the time here - and that one's a corker!

Date: November 24, 2013 18:04

ssprings
latebloomer
A very stupid article that makes no sense. There's nothing new about aging artists continuing to do what they do. Picasso was still painting right up until he died at 90 years old and nobody told him to get out of the way for younger painters. Margot Fonteyn continued to dance until she was 60, considered ancient in the dance world. Louis Armstrong, Tony Bennett, who's still performing...there are many examples of creative people, who were not of the baby boom generation, continuing to do their thing long past youth.

Most young artists look up to the generation that precedes them, and are thrilled to be in the same room with those masters.

Right on... I am seeing Tony Bennett next Saturday in Atlantic City, and can't wait.

Saw Tony a couple of years ago...fantastic. At one point he does a song acapella, without a microphone. Simply stunning.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: November 24, 2013 20:09

treaclefingers
ssprings
latebloomer

Saw Tony a couple of years ago...fantastic. At one point he does a song acapella, without a microphone. Simply stunning.

I saw Mr. Bennet decades ago at Blues Alley in DC, and even then he was considered old. Just TB and his pianist. I sat at a small table not ten feet from him, and he sang acapella then, maybe the same song you saw him do, treacle.
Afterwards, I was able to chat with him for a minute and get his autograph. One of those nights that stand out in your memories...amazing.

Date: November 25, 2013 02:10

latebloomer
treaclefingers
ssprings
latebloomer

I saw Mr. Bennet decades ago at Blues Alley in DC, and even then he was considered old. Just TB and his pianist. I sat at a small table not ten feet from him, and he sang acapella then, maybe the same song you saw him do, treacle.
Afterwards, I was able to chat with him for a minute and get his autograph. One of those nights that stand out in your memories...amazing.

Yeah, it was amazing...in his 80s and still such a powerful voice. We saw him in a 3000 seat theater. If you can imagine one old little guy belting out a song in perfect pitch without a microphone to 3000 people...it was pretty magical.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1987
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home