Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Should the baby boomers "leave the stage" ....... ?
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 4, 2013 16:19

Big Al
I like Will Self. Whether one agrees or not, it's a subject worthy of contemplation. Personally, as long these older acts still feel able to perform and there are those willing to pay, I think their continuation is acceptable. As usual, too many here are being overly defensive!

I also think he has a point. I just think he makes a very poor job in trying to articulate that in his article.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: November 4, 2013 16:23

Boring article. I says nothing...

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: November 4, 2013 17:34

Funny thing about articles and people with opinions like this is how quickly the tune changes once they are experiencing what that are so adamant about. You can bet once the author reaches "That age" or state of being he or she will not be thinking on those same terms.

CBII

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: November 4, 2013 18:27

CBII,yes it's easy for the untalented to criticize those who love performing and want to keep with it as long as they can.

FYI, I have been through some serious illness and a lot of pain. My go to song that always makes me feel better for a time is "Around and Around." I find myself singing or humming it virtually every day,

I should probably pay royalties!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 4, 2013 18:28

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-05 20:10 by Doxa.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: November 4, 2013 18:42

Saw Eric Burdon this summer at a local festival, put the mainstage kiddes (Fun.) to SHAME.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: November 4, 2013 18:47

stonesrule
CBII,yes it's easy for the untalented to criticize those who love performing and want to keep with it as long as they can.

FYI, I have been through some serious illness and a lot of pain. My go to song that always makes me feel better for a time is "Around and Around." I find myself singing or humming it virtually every day,

I should probably pay royalties!

Case in point, the lyric "Hope I die before I get old...." Wonder how many people are eating those words now?

CBII

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: November 4, 2013 20:03

Bo Diddley did a Great show at the Age of 77 in the Melkweg in Amsterdam in 2006.
I myself do think that Musicians and Artists are not bound to an Age and in Life most Artists performed and produced till old Age.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-04 20:27 by runaway.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: November 4, 2013 20:43

Will Self is a great writer and yeah - he has a point, but having said that... Johnny Cash made his best recordings in the last years of his life.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: November 4, 2013 20:58

Kirk
It is stated ".. the older generation should stop trying to define what it means to be young..". The Stones did this in some way when they themselves were young,within a given sociocultural and economic concept, and now they're doing the opposite, in some way again, by trying to define - not exactly actually - what it could mean to be old, while they themselves are old.

Instead of defining what it is or could mean to be old, the Stones define what it is or may be to be alive, and then I mean to be ALIVE. In the final instance, age is, of course, a biological issue. Not pressed to the final instance, however, one might hold that age is not necessarily a biological condition, but rather one's approach to be living. You cannot claim to be young, but you can claim to be alive and act and live accordingly.

However, fullworthy to do that as a rock band, not only surviving, even if concerts are still LIVE, but being actually ALIVE as a rock band, they need to record at least one more studio album of new songs, and integrate some songs from that or those into their concert setlists. I want to ask the band: Consider! They have not got more to prove as to having vitally contributed to rock music. The challenge applies instead to be able to fullworthy claim to be alive as a rock band. To report in new songs what it is from their special viewpoint to be ALIVE now.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 4, 2013 21:13

Here's the much-maligned Yoko, aged 80.

Bad Dancer

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: November 4, 2013 21:27

'Heartache' - John Mayall & Band @ 26th. Swing 2013 free Bluesfesti...

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: November 4, 2013 22:01

jamesfdouglas
Saw Eric Burdon this summer at a local festival, put the mainstage kiddes (Fun.) to SHAME.

That's the key. If someone can't deliver the goods anymore (no matter what age), then perhaps it's time to move along. But every time I've seen the Stones, they blew the opening act - usually someone decades younger - off the stage.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 5, 2013 13:00

CBII

Case in point, the lyric "Hope I die before I get old...." Wonder how many people are eating those words now?

Regardless of their age, it depends if they are old in mind. winking smiley

Date: November 5, 2013 13:02

stonesrule
CBII,yes it's easy for the untalented...

"We recognise in others that which we know most deeply within ourselves"

- Robert Fripp

grinning smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 5, 2013 15:13

Max'sKansasCity
Should the baby boomers "leave the stage" ..

Maybe when there are some youngsters worthy of leaving the stage to, but as long as insecure, pissed off, untalented yet somehow millionaires like ememine and kayne west are examples of the next group coming up... I beg of the baby boomers PLEASE STICK AROUND, PLEASE DONT LEAVE US TO THE LIKES OF WHAT I SAW ON SNL LAST NIGHT. What the hell was that anyway?

I tried (I really tried to watch and listen to it) but it was not possible, it had to be muted after 45 seconds of that fool looking so pissed off and scowling while he (still) sampled other people music for him to YELL/TALK his crap rap (he is rich, he has made all that money fooling people with his crap rap and he is still pissed off scowling like that? wtf?) HE IS STILL SMAPLING (in this case stealing from Billy Squire's "Stroke me" )(how the hell can these fools be considered" genius' when all they do is talk and shout(aka crap rap) over an old song, that is not new) and it sounded horrible... it was unlistenable, it was painful to hear his shouting, it is not singing and he does not appear to be having fun with it, he looks mad and angry... as if he is screaming at a judge who has just sentanced him to life in prison.... and after the crap is over he just stands there, no smiling..... just him scowling at the people who are (for some reason) cheering him. It makes no sense.

It seems like, feels like, appears that someone some where is playing a prank on all of us. Who and why can anyone listen to that crap rap? I read the blogs, I hear people love and rave about this shit, I know it sells a lot of product, so I try to like, listen and understand.... but is makes no sense. How can anyone think this shit sounds good?

PLEASE DONT LEAVE US BABY BOOMERS... PLEASE DONT! At least not until there are worthy heirs to your stage. I am trying to find them, I am looking and listening, where are they?

Nice. Who the hell are you talking about? And what happened on November 3rd?

Date: November 5, 2013 15:51

There's more to modern music than rap, if you don't like it . . . We keep posting lists of great contemporary bands.

Posted by: chop ()
Date: November 5, 2013 16:11

Only Wood and Taylor are baby boomers, and early ones at that having been born in 1947 and 1948. Jagger, Richards, Watts are Silent Generation. Heck Wyman was even born PRE WAR

Posted by: angee ()
Date: November 5, 2013 16:44

Claire_M
jamesfdouglas

That's the key. If someone can't deliver the goods anymore (no matter what age), then perhaps it's time to move along. But every time I've seen the Stones, they blew the opening act - usually someone decades younger - off the stage.

Excellent point, Claire.

As for Mick's state of dress, if anything, he is too restrained now--keep going, Mick! thumbs up

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: November 5, 2013 17:27

Aquamarine
There's more to modern music than rap, if you don't like it . . . We keep posting lists of great contemporary bands.
Not a lot of rock and roll in those lists. I see a lot of mellowish, countryish, esoteric stuff, but not a lot of rock and roll.

Hopefully the river will meander back towards good ole rock and roll, and I dont mean the angry death metal type of stuff, I mean good ole rock and roll.

Date: November 5, 2013 17:36

I don't have the energy to post them all again, but we've posted the names of dozens of good rock bands--not country, not death metal, rock!

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: November 5, 2013 17:39

allrighty then, nevermind.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: November 5, 2013 17:55

Sting and Paul Simon just announced a joint tour. Boom.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: November 5, 2013 19:18

Send It To me

Yep, I saw that. I'd like to see Paul Simon, but have no desire to sit through a Sting set. His music is now under the category of adult alternative...no thanks.

Posted by: R ()
Date: November 5, 2013 19:20

Should the baby boomers "leave the stage" ....... ?

I would argue that, by and large, they've already done so. I was bemoaning the lack of cool shows (in my 56 year old mind) recently. There are none coming to my state this fall. There are NO arena type rock acts on the road, really. The Stones did their residency thing in the States, perhaps for the last time. Phil Lesh is doing the same. RUSH finished their tour and are talking about slowing down as is Motley Crue. The Who are apparently done until 2015. Sabbath might be back this Summer to play the secondary markets if they can stay healthy. Aerosmith did an abbreviated tour to support an overblown album that no one bought and now Tyler has announced a solo album that no one will buy. Two members of Slayer have died in the last couple years and Fleetwood Mac canceled their tour.... I'm lucky enough that I live close to Bob Seger so I've seen him a half dozen times since 2006 but it's pretty much the same show. Macca and the Eagles perform semi-regularly and since we're not spending our money on much else it's actually easy to afford them at $150-$200 a whack. "Our music" is rapidly becoming a thing of the past. If you want to see a big show your choices are slutty girls dancing and lip-syncing to hip-hop tracks or male underwear models wearing cowboy hats.

Twenty, or so, years ago rock'n'rollers decided the career development thing was declasse and too commercial. Now they don't have careers unless it's in the same clubs and theaters they were playing decades ago. The labels back then said, "F-ck it. Why fight it?" and began concentrating on one-hit wonders and manufactured country crap.

Sure, we still have cool stuff we can enjoy. Rival Sons, the Moondoggies, Dawes and Steven Wilson come immediately to mind but. for the most part, it's over for us and the music we love.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-05 19:23 by R.

Date: November 5, 2013 20:40

You keep saying "we" and "our music." I'm that generation, but apart from the Stones that's not my music, I'd rather hear garage rock in a basement somewhere.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: November 5, 2013 21:10

latebloomer
Send It To me

Yep, I saw that. I'd like to see Paul Simon, but have no desire to sit through a Sting set. His music is now under the category of adult alternative...no thanks.

[www.theonion.com]

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 6, 2013 00:15

Here's a line for Pseud's Corner from Will Self's article.

But in the wider culture as well we can see myriad examples of this senescent suzerainty.

The guy is clearly a pretentious prat, an old junkie who got caught smoking heroin on then Prime Minister's John Major's plane.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 6, 2013 01:07

Silver Dagger

The guy is clearly a pretentious prat, an old junkie who got caught smoking heroin on then Prime Minister's John Major's plane.

He can't be all bad then, can he?

Date: November 6, 2013 01:11

treaclefingers
Silver Dagger

He can't be all bad then, can he?

Indeed, but he is a pretentious prat and he probably wouldn't disagree with someone calling him that. grinning smiley

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1755
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home