Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Interesting "making of Dirty Work'" article
Posted by: AllAboutYours ()
Date: October 31, 2013 21:59

sorry if posted before.

Dirty Work article

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-31 21:59 by AllAboutYours.

Re: Interesting "making of Dirty Work'" article
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 31, 2013 22:55

AllAboutYours
sorry if posted before.

Dirty Work article

"So one night they Bobby invited me into the studio. I heard one beautiful stunning jam that night. Bobby Womack on guitar, Alan Rogan on bass, Ron Wood on drums, Don Covay singing and Keith Richards at the piano – a shiny black Steinway grand. I sat between the drums and the piano Ron’s drumming was wonderful but funny! His inflections and breaks are all very guitar-minded. That night they played and it just flowed out of them. They ran a song over and over. It had the repeated line “Some of us are down on our knees...” A gospel vibe to it...I don’t remember the name of the tune, but it was haunting and they talked about it for days. It never made it to the record."

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 31, 2013 23:01

KRiffhard
AllAboutYours
sorry if posted before.

Dirty Work article

"So one night they Bobby invited me into the studio. I heard one beautiful stunning jam that night. Bobby Womack on guitar, Alan Rogan on bass, Ron Wood on drums, Don Covay singing and Keith Richards at the piano – a shiny black Steinway grand. I sat between the drums and the piano Ron’s drumming was wonderful but funny! His inflections and breaks are all very guitar-minded. That night they played and it just flowed out of them. They ran a song over and over. It had the repeated line “Some of us are down on our knees...” A gospel vibe to it...I don’t remember the name of the tune, but it was haunting and they talked about it for days. It never made it to the record."

Certainly isn't any worse than what they went with.

Too bad they didn't polish this one up and try it instead of Hold Back (Don't Hold Back) or whatever the hell it's called.

Date: October 31, 2013 23:13

...or instead of Winning Ugly/Back to zero

Date: October 31, 2013 23:19

KRiffhard

Or the song 'Dirty Work', or 'Had It With You', or well, maybe we should start with what we could keep, that'd be easier.

Date: October 31, 2013 23:33

treaclefingers
KRiffhard

Or the song 'Dirty Work', or 'Had It With You', or well, maybe we should start with what we could keep, that'd be easier.

You're right! I would keep only these two songs...and only these two versions:

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 1, 2013 00:12

Thanks for sharing. What a lucky girl!

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 1, 2013 00:13

KRiffhard
AllAboutYours
sorry if posted before.

Dirty Work article

Could it be that also invitation comes from this session?

Keno credits watts on drums, Keith and Ron on guitar, bill on bass, but I'd bet my balls that he got it wrong. If true, Charlie must have been truly out of it!

C

Date: November 1, 2013 00:37

treaclefingers
KRiffhard

Both are great. Obvious keepers!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 1, 2013 01:02

AllAboutYours
sorry if posted before.

Dirty Work article

Amazing stuff, thanks, sounds like it was written in 2002? Doesn't look like she got around to write the other parts?

A lot to comment about, but even though there was some tension between Mick and Keith (UC had some too) it confirms (like the Paris sessions) that they were still clearly collaborating. The problems only really started when Mick said he wouldn't tour behind DW in April (?) the year after...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: November 1, 2013 01:09

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
KRiffhard

Which two? Perhaps less obvious than one may think?!

Posted by: AllAboutYours ()
Date: November 1, 2013 10:55

As a guitar geek, I found that picture of Mesa Boogie Mark IIC rather interesting. Never knew they used IIC. Perhaps it's Ronnie's. And strange settings also - bass dialed at 8..! Is that the solo guitar sound of Winning Ugly..?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 1, 2013 11:25

liddas
KRiffhard
AllAboutYours
sorry if posted before.

Dirty Work article

Could it be that also invitation comes from this session?

Keno credits watts on drums, Keith and Ron on guitar, bill on bass, but I'd bet my balls that he got it wrong. If true, Charlie must have been truly out of it!

C

Keno has everything wrong, as usual. Indeed 'Sending out Invitations' is from this session, or one of these sessions where they played as an act 'The Podiums'.

Mathijs

Date: November 1, 2013 12:43

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
KRiffhard

Which two? Perhaps less obvious than one may think?!

Ha ha, nice try! DW and HIWY - don't pretend you didn't know that! grinning smiley

Date: November 1, 2013 12:47

There is no doubt about Keith playing guitar on this one smiling smiley

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 1, 2013 18:34

Cool article

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1519
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home