Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What did Keith Richards think of Lou Reed?
Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: October 30, 2013 02:32

Anyone here know of any information about Keith take on Lou Reed?

Re: What did Keith Richards think of Lou Reed?
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 30, 2013 02:35

I don't know for sure...but I think he got nothing with Lou Reed

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: October 30, 2013 03:12

"I never liked The Beatles, I never really liked any British group, I don't think the British should play rock and roll... I never took British rock and roll seriously and I still don't." (Lou Reed speaking in 1983)- Lou Reed

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Even if Lou Reed were still alive, he said this, never got any flack for it. Funny, Elton John or someone can say something and people will jump all over them.

-----------

Of course, there's the famous picture of him being with Bowie and Jagger at what looks like some sort of dinner.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-30 03:23 by BroomWagon.

Posted by: TippyToe ()
Date: October 30, 2013 03:41

BroomWagon

"I never liked The Beatles, I never really liked any British group, I don't think the British should play rock and roll... I never took British rock and roll seriously and I still don't." (Lou Reed speaking in 1983)- Lou Reed

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Even if Lou Reed were still alive, he said this, never got any flack for it. Funny, Elton John or someone can say something and people will jump all over them.

-----------

Of course, there's the famous picture of him being with Bowie and Jagger at what looks like some sort of dinner.

Here is video of the actual interview and Lou says he likes the Stones and some of Ray Davies stuff at 2:55,

And he has covered Lennon's 'Mother' and 'Jealous Guy' in concert so the Beatles comments might not be serious.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: October 30, 2013 04:01

When Keith did his press conference at the New York Library for the release of Life, I thought Lou Reed was in the audience. Does anyone else remember that?

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: October 30, 2013 04:11

Hey now. I think Keith would feel sad that a fellow musician had died.

And Keith could probably relate to "I'm Waiting for the Man".

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: October 30, 2013 04:26

SomeTorontoGirl
When Keith did his press conference at the New York Library for the release of Life, I thought Lou Reed was in the audience. Does anyone else remember that?

Underscoring Richards’ place at the very top of the rock and fame firmament, the audience was filled with celebrities like Jimmy Fallon, Lou Reed and Richard Belzer who came to hear Richards speak about his life and career.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 30, 2013 04:40

I thought Lou Reed was in the audience. Does anyone else remember that?

He was but walked out fairly early during the press-conference .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 30, 2013 05:02

Keef thought enough of Lou to nick the intro to Heroin on Stray Cat Blues.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 30, 2013 05:11

Lou Reed and Keith Richards? Can't imagine them bonding, frankly. I like Lou for being the prickly prick, that he was. Good on him. cool smiley

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 30, 2013 06:13

I'd assume they'd really like each other. They are both do whatever they want and they've lived like they are 150 by this point. Then again, those particular similarities are also very good reasons why they'd probably hate hanging out with each other lol.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: October 30, 2013 06:53

ab
Keef thought enough of Lou to nick the intro to Heroin on Stray Cat Blues.

Yeah, I read Mick saying re. Stray Cat Blues and VU, "I nicked it right off them, really, I did"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-30 06:54 by EddieByword.

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: October 30, 2013 07:22

Also the intros of the Stones version of "Hitch Hike" and VU's "There She Goes Again" are very similiar.

Date: October 30, 2013 08:03

Except that Hitch Hike was released 2 years before There She Goes Again.

I've always felt that The Rolling Stones were among the artists who were a profound early influence, along with Bob Dylan, on Lou Reed and The Velvet Underground.

But there doesn't seem to be anything you can track down, even a one-line quote, that would indicate that Keith Richards thought anything of Lou Reed one way or the other.

However, he seems to like Iggy Pop well enough, so who knows?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 30, 2013 08:22

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 30, 2013 08:39

What Lou means to say in the interview is that he don't like english bands that sings 'I want to hold your hand', but he knewed that 'Tomorrow never knows' were the future in Rock'n'roll 1966 together with Dylans and Stones stuff....Thats' how it is...cool smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 30, 2013 10:01

DiscoVolante
Also the intros of the Stones version of "Hitch Hike" and VU's "There She Goes Again" are very similiar.

When I saw Lou in 1984, he introduced There She Goes Again by saying he lifted the intro from Marvin Gaye's Hitch Hike.

Posted by: rangerdave ()
Date: October 30, 2013 11:20

There's a brief anecdote in the Victor Bockris biography of Keith. In an interview with Jim Carroll, Lou Reed had said that working with The Stones was like a Kiss of Death. Angered, Keith left a note for Carroll that said 'Dear Jim, lucky thing you put this on Lou, piss de breath kiss of death'

Posted by: ozziestone ()
Date: October 30, 2013 13:09

I cant get the connection between stray cat and heroin myself. Then again my wife tells me I'm tone deaf-but that's only to stop me singing in the shower

Date: October 30, 2013 13:12

ozziestone
I cant get the connection between stray cat and heroin myself. Then again my wife tells me I'm tone deaf-but that's only to stop me singing in the shower

It's only a few seconds of resemblance in the intro smiling smiley

Date: October 30, 2013 13:20

Dandelion Powerman
It's only a few seconds of resemblance in the intro

yep gottcha now. The repeating note-D in the case of Heroin I think. Always liked the intros to both songs now that I think about it.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 30, 2013 13:26

Lou loved the Stones. Listen to the Robert Quine Velvet Underground Live Bootleg box. Some of the jams are quite Stones-y.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-30 14:03 by crholmstrom.

Posted by: two4fun111 ()
Date: October 30, 2013 13:39

pretty sure I've read a couple times that sister morphine's vibe was based on Heroin by the VU..basically the whole song just playing off of two chords most of the way thru....the starkness of it too

Date: October 30, 2013 13:48

Article in Rolling Stone years ago suggested that the two chord vamp that is the feature of much of YCAGWYW was a rip off of heroin. Seemed a bit fanciful to me

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 30, 2013 14:22

Lou: I'm waiting for the man.
Keith: I am THE MAN!

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: October 30, 2013 18:44

ozziestone
Dandelion Powerman
It's only a few seconds of resemblance in the intro

yep gottcha now. The repeating note-D in the case of Heroin I think. Always liked the intros to both songs now that I think about it.

Mick's lyrics and that kind of blase, almost spoken word, delivery in Stray Cat Blues are very much inspired by Lou Reed's "street life" songs like Waiting For The Man etc.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 30, 2013 20:25

my guess would be not much

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: October 30, 2013 21:50

Lou disliked Mick, he once told me, "Street Fighting Man, what a joke that little twerp's no street fighter." He also would say Sgt. Pepper and The Beatles were "bad Broadway" and not rock 'n' roll... Reed's humor was quite cynical but he was a straight up person who was rarely aloof to crew; patient, generous and always good for his word... His favorite singer was Dion and enjoyed and listened to many of the covers other bands recorded of his tunes. REM's "Dead Letter Office" released at REM's

height of popularity made him a big chunk of cash and he loved Tina and Chris from The Talking Heads...... He would keep his distance from Keith because Lou was already sober by the time I knew him but Reed recognized and admired cool, I'm pretty sure he liked him. Every New York studio cat embraced the first Wino's first album as we knew the players well and the drum sounds were impressive. That album influenced many recordings and Reed was aware of it.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: October 30, 2013 22:05

Rockman
I thought Lou Reed was in the audience. Does anyone else remember that?

He was but walked out fairly early during the press-conference .....

He stayed for about three quarters of the interview. He was asleep for 1/2 of that time, so overall I would say he saw about 1/3 of the interview. A lot of other people who were really interested in what Keith had to say would have loved that seat.

I like the V.U. and some of Lou's solo music, not enough to consider myself a fan though. In general, I don't like people that take themselves that seriously, and that tainted his music for me.

In any event, I wish him peace.

Date: October 30, 2013 22:11

Now why would he show up just to sleep while someone is publicly speaking? Unless he was, erm, "nodding off"....winking smiley

It is surprising, some of Reed's opinions on other artists one would think he would respect and admire, if not actually like.

For instance, you would think that Reed would have liked Jim Morrison for his dark visions, iconoclastic nature, high intelligence, and well-read, educated background and penchant for poetry writing.

Yet, Reed has been quoted as saying how delighted he was to hear of the death of "that silly Los Angeles person".

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1960
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home