Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: Stones ... And Bruce in Adelaide
Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: February 13, 2014 03:40

I don't think Johnny 99 or Murder Incorporated needs horns.

I say this tongue in cheek but I wonder if on Bruce's boards they call this his Vegas Era.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-13 03:45 by fahthree.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: February 13, 2014 04:21

I too think there is a touch too much horns here and there. As I listen to some of the official SBDs, I would prefer the guitars to be louder in the mix. That is not a gripe but ratehr just a preference.

I liked the sound of the reformed E Street Band in 1999. Imagine State Trooper with horns? Egad!

Does anyone remember the No Security Tour with SFTD with horns? Double Egad!

All in all, however, Bruce keeps it fresh and forward.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-13 04:22 by deadegad.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: February 13, 2014 05:07

fahthree

I say this tongue in cheek but I wonder if on Bruce's boards they call this his Vegas Era.

No we don't. This tour, along with the Wrecking Ball tour of last year are being hailed as his best since probably 1981 River tour. Given what came in between then and now, it's clear to us he has raised the bar.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 13, 2014 05:29

fahthree

grinning smiley

No.

'Vegas' to me is as much to do with a musical state of mind than anything else.

ie, playing high-priced nostalgia driven shows where the musical arrangements dont develop from year to year and are as close to the originals as possible. The last tour featured something like 230 different songs with setlists being barely worth the paper they were printed on and the band taking numerous requests per show. Something theyre continuing to do. . When a band can improvise like that and take chances to that degree in front of crowds of up to 70-80,000 people, that's a million miles from the musical safety of a 'Vegas' revue in my eyes.

I dont get this aversion to or surprise of the use of horns in a band whose influences have been as much inspired by R&B/soul music as rock 'n' roll (Steve van Zandt owns one of the biggest collections of that type of music in the world, after all - and the ESB has always been indelibly linked with the sound associated with the Asbury Jukes). Otis Redding, James Brown, Wilson Pickett etc always used horn sections. No one would have used that term 'Vegas' to describe their live show.

The best arrangement of Johnny 99 was the one in recent years with the 'I Hear a Train' segment. Check out the Live in Hyde park DVD from 2009. And, it is worth remembering of course that 'Nebraska' was intended to be a 'band' album before he reverted to using the original solo demos instead.

IMO, a studio record should only be a template as far as a great performing artist should be concerned.

Posted by: superglen ()
Date: February 13, 2014 12:49

on the current tour, he's already done 99 different songs over 9 shows.
the last 2 shows in Adelaide featured 50 different songs, only 9 were done both nights. now, try and better that...

I like the big sound of the current ESB orchestra, which I have seen 4 times over the WB tour, but I agree that there's too much people on stage (15 musicians + 3 backing singers). he could easily lose 1 guitar, 2 horns, the percussion player and 1 backing singer. a 13-piece band (the Boss included) would be more than enough.

that having said, I would love to see a "stripped" ESB show with just 9 people on stage (Bruce, Steve, Nils, Roy, Charlie, Garry, Max, Soozie, Jake). the same lineup that toured in 2008, with of course Jake in lieu of the poor Big Man.

Re: OT: Bruce in Adelaide
Date: February 13, 2014 14:29

Yeah, 18 or whatever it is, is a bit big. I dont think it adds anything more than a 13-piece, as you say. But hey, the indulgence is coming out of his pocket, not mine. I saw 9 shows on the last tour and there were a few where Michelle Moore cant have been onstage for more than about four or five songs. She's a good singer, but it sort of defeats the purpose.

No band on earth needs four guitarists - even if they're all very good ones. I guess its this way on this leg solely because both Morello and van Zandt are available. Van Zandt wont be around for the spring shows in the US as he has prior filming commitments in Norway.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: February 13, 2014 16:06

I started this thread to show the difference in, if you like, in a fashion, the value for money proposition in comparing the (likely) 2 hr show my favourite band, The Stones, will play in Adelaide versus what my favourite live performer, Bruce, did perform! About 90 more minutes, widely, and wildly varied set lists, and about 50% more songs! Not sure why it's marked OT. THE topic IS a comparison between the two.

Are Beatles vs Stones threads marked OT?

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: February 13, 2014 16:57

Yep.
Bruce had rave reviews in perth.
Everyone I spoke to said it was either their best show ever attended or top 3..
Incredible considering his age.
No wonder bruce has fans who follow every show in earnest..different setlists...god help the Stones fans who do the same with The Stones..

Date: February 13, 2014 17:00

different setlists is an euphemism...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-13 17:02 by superglen.

Date: February 14, 2014 13:26

Gazza
No band on earth needs four guitarists - even if they're all very good ones. I guess its this way on this leg solely because both Morello and van Zandt are available. Van Zandt wont be around for the spring shows in the US as he has prior filming commitments in Norway.

actually, SVZ might make some US spring shows, according to his wife...they don't know which ones yet.

Morello is on board both to eventually fill in for SVZ and because, according to Bruce, he kinda is the muse that inspired the High Hopes album, on which he is heavily featured.

if SVZ will really be on stage for some US shows, and Patti will be too (unlikely, but you never know), there will be 19 people on stage, and on certain songs there'll be 4 electric guitars + 2 (unheardable) acoustics. overkill. almost a parody. more of a "all-star ESB and friends revue".

anyway, Bruce is the Boss, it's his show, so he can do whatever he likes. he recently stated that the ESB nowadays has an oper-door policy, so...

ps: the EVERGROWING ESB. 6 piece in the early seventies > 7 piece in the mid seventies/early eigthies > 8 piece in the mid-late eighties > 9 piece on the Reunion tour > 10 piece on the Rising and Magic tours > 12 piece on the early WOAD tour > 13 piece on the late WOAD tour > 17/18 piece on the WB and HH tours, and it might eventually swell to 19 this spring...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-08 13:50 by superglen.

Date: February 14, 2014 14:15

Thats cool. At this rate, I reckon that I may be recruited to play lead electric triangle sometime around 2033.

Better get practicing soon. The setlist will have expanded to about 600 songs by then.

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: February 14, 2014 15:58

Gazza
fahthree

grinning smiley

No.

ie, playing high-priced nostalgia driven shows where the musical arrangements dont develop from year to year and are as close to the originals as possible. The last tour featured something like 230 different songs with setlists being barely worth the paper they were printed on and the band taking numerous requests per show. Something theyre continuing to do. . When a band can improvise like that and take chances to that degree in front of crowds of up to 70-80,000 people, that's a million miles from the musical safety of a 'Vegas' revue in my eyes.

I dont get this aversion to or surprise of the use of horns in a band whose influences have been as much inspired by R&B/soul music as rock 'n' roll (Steve van Zandt owns one of the biggest collections of that type of music in the world, after all - and the ESB has always been indelibly linked with the sound associated with the Asbury Jukes). Otis Redding, James Brown, Wilson Pickett etc always used horn sections. No one would have used that term 'Vegas' to describe their live show.

The best arrangement of Johnny 99 was the one in recent years with the 'I Hear a Train' segment. Check out the Live in Hyde park DVD from 2009. And, it is worth remembering of course that 'Nebraska' was intended to be a 'band' album before he reverted to using the original solo demos instead.

IMO, a studio record should only be a template as far as a great performing artist should be concerned.

Gazza, do you think Bruce will one day release the band version of 'Nebraska?'

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: February 14, 2014 15:59

The Highway to Hell from the 11th smokes!

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: February 14, 2014 17:33

Maybe the show went on for 3 hours in Charlottesville (bomb treat) grinning smiley

Date: February 14, 2014 20:52

JohnnyBGoode
Gazza
fahthree

grinning smiley

No.

Gazza, do you think Bruce will one day release the band version of 'Nebraska?'

The much talked about, but never heard 'Electric Nebraska' album?

Yes. Absolutely. Only a matter of time. Remasters of the first two albums are in the works at present, as well as a 'River' box set which will probably be similar scope to what 'The Promise' was for the Darkness sessions and tour. There are several albums down the years that were recorded and scrapped - there would be enough interest in the band versions of 'Nebraska' for sure.

Maybe it'll be part of the inevitable 'Born In the USA' box set thats bound to see the light of day at some point.

US Bruce Springsteen Tour Ticket Purchase (edit)
Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: February 16, 2014 01:58

Initially, the annouced date for US East Coast ticket Sales (including brother Southern shows) were to go on sale Feb 14. Actually tix were not available until Saturday.

Afetr logging on to the "Live Nation" website it took about 4 minutes to connect for "Best Seats Available."

Ticketmaster gave me two minutes at the four stage process to give credit card, residence info, etc..

In other words, they pressured me to make a purchase under timelimes where they tried to more or less screw with my mind.

I ended up in Section 122 at the Sunrise Center (South Florida). It is on the left side of stage 15 rows up and over looking the stage, slightly less than parallel. I paid $283 altogether for my wife and myself.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-16 12:43 by Chris Fountain.

OT: Springsteen and Vedder Highway to Hell and Darkness . . .
Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: February 17, 2014 20:45

Lucky aussies! Aparently Bruce has brought on Eddie many times and vice versa by just checking out you tube vids . . .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-17 20:45 by Mr. Jimi.

Re: OT: Springsteen and Vedder Highway to Hell and Darkness . . .
Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: February 17, 2014 21:29

Well, Australia is really the place to be right now. Rolling Stones, Springsteen and Pearl Jam in one month. Wow. I guess it would ruin our family budget :-)

Re: OT: Springsteen and Vedder Highway to Hell and Darkness . . .
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 18, 2014 00:53

Happy24
Well, Australia is really the place to be right now. Rolling Stones, Springsteen and Pearl Jam in one month. Wow. I guess it would ruin our family budget :-)
To be fair, they won't get another show there for years so they might as well embrace it smiling smiley!

I kid, I kid!

Re: Wouldn't it be great if the Stones released concerts like Bruce has started doing?
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 18, 2014 03:19

Rockman
Don't think it'd work ... Fans wouldn't fall for Mick performing Born In USA

BORN...in the U-u-Kay, I was BORN in the U-u-Kay yeah!

Re: OT: Bruce Springsteen 2014
Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: February 18, 2014 06:25

Patti serves no use in the band these days. She did some nice harmonizing on the 1988 tour.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 18, 2014 09:38

The last time I saw them, I was standing right in front of her, like 6 feet away--she was playing an acoustic that wasn't even plugged into an amp. Still, if Bruce just likes having her in the band . . .

I'm going to the Atlanta show, first one I'll have seen minus Clarence. sad smiley

Date: February 18, 2014 10:58

Bruce has done 107 different songs over the 11 shows played so far in 2014...

Posted by: jammingedward ()
Date: February 18, 2014 12:22

I was there on Saturday. My first Bruce show - it was amazing. Eddie vEdder did the two opening songs and then was drinking I the crowd next to my friend all night (he had two bodyguards with him). Born In The USA full album performed too.
If I hadn't blown all my money and then some on 5 Stones shows next month I would have been back on Sunday for more. He did Born To Run in full that night!

If only the Stones were as generous to their hardcore fans!

Date: February 18, 2014 13:56

Aquamarine
The last time I saw them, I was standing right in front of her, like 6 feet away--she was playing an acoustic that wasn't even plugged into an amp. Still, if Bruce just likes having her in the band . . .

Patti missed the vast majority of the ESB shows from 2007 onwards.
the band did almost 200 shows between 2007 and 2009, and she appeared at about 50. in 2012 the ESB did roughly 90 shows and she appeared at about 25; in 2013 the ESB did about 50 shows and she didn't appear once. so far, she is a no-show (pardon the pun) in 2014 also.
in the 2012 semi-official bio book "Bruce" by Peter Ames Carlin, she stated that she perfectly knows her role in the ESB is more "figurative" than musical, and that she suffers that. moreover, she is 60 now and probably doesn't like touring anymore.
on the other hand, she is heavily featured on Bruce's more recent records and, according to liner notes and common knowledge between "in the know" people, she has a heavy hand in all the vocal arrangements during recording sessions (and in pre-tour rehearsals too).

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-18 19:27 by superglen.

Date: February 19, 2014 15:26

Sidney Allphones Arena, 19 february (4th Sidney show in 11 months)

MAINSET Start: 19.58, End: 22.57, Duration 2h59min

01. FRIDAY ON MY MIND (The Easybeats cover)
02. Out in the Street
03. Cadillac Ranch
04. High Hopes
05. Just Like Fire Would
06. Spirit in the Night

DARKNESS ON THE EDGE OF TOWN album
07. Badlands
08. Adam Raised a Cain
09. Something in the Night
10. Candy's Room
11. RACING IN THE STREET
12. The Promised Land
13. Factory
14. Streets of Fire
15. Prove It All Night
16. Darkness on the Edge of Town

17. Darlington County
18. Shackled and Drawn
19. Waitin' on a Sunny Day
20. The Ghost of Tom Joad
21. Land of Hope and Dreams

Encore:
22. DON'T CHANGE (INXS cover)
23. Born to Run
24. Dancing in the Dark
25. Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out
26. Shout
27. SURPRISE, SURPRISE
28. DREAM BABY DREAM

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 20, 2014 03:58

I can't tell how much I love this song, and this live version is awesome.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-20 04:09 by Cristiano Radtke.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: February 23, 2014 15:13

How about this puppy?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 23, 2014 19:59

Chris Fountain
How about this puppy?

Nice. thumbs up

Here's another great version:

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: February 23, 2014 20:37

jammingedward
If only the Stones were as generous to their hardcore fans!

This line made my day.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1583
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home