Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: A Bigger Bang
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 8, 2013 08:37

The last three studio albums all suffer from the same two problems:

1. Inferior songwriting
2. No Bill Wyman

They simply don't measure up to the group's best work, no matter how many of us here might enjoy them. All of these threads claiming these albums are somehow underrated have gotten quite tiresome. If you like it, that should be enough. There are a few decent songs on them. But don't try to persuade me they are on par with Exile On Main Street or Beggars Banquet. They're not.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 8, 2013 09:04

Right!

No Bill Wyman !

Posted by: Denny ()
Date: November 8, 2013 09:24

"No Bill Wyman"* has been a common feature of just about every Rolling Stones studio album since about 1969 or so, ha ha! No wonder he ****ed off eventually, eh?

*Okay, more like "not much Bill Wyman", or "guess where Bill Wyman is?" but still...

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 8, 2013 09:36

winter
ABB is frustrating to me because it's such a missed opportunity. And since it's the only real full studio release in 16 years, that frustration is compounded. I think they had good material; good enough to be that long-awaited post-TY undisputed 'classic' that VL and B2B didn't quite turn out to be due to their lengths and lack of just one or 2 more guitar-y anthems each. After coming up with a really solid batch of song ideas, I think Mick, Keith and Don Was kind of blew off the rest of the process of arranging/producing. (The 2002 model, ala "Don't Stop".)

1. Songcraft was thrown out the window. Not much effort put into crafting intros, endings, bridges or instrumental breaks to dynamically energize the songs that needed it. LIND, RFD and BOMH are almost the only songs that actually sound like they were 'fully realized' or finished. And nary a single decent guitar/sax/harp break or solo out of 18 tracks? That's a first.

2. Demo-ish sounding. The lack of decent arrangements, solos and care make the songs sound weak and unfinished, like the 4 2002 cuts on 40Licks. Where's that piano or acoustic guitar, whether in the foreground or imperceptibly filling out the sound? 0:20 seconds into SSMC it sounds like Mick didn't finish the improvised lyric ideas so it comes off as unfinished. Why not lop off the opening 10 seconds of RJ noodling? Why not just take some time to play around with SNC's chorus melody so it doesn't just sound like "Nyah-nyah Nyah-nyah"; those were great biting lyrics. It's the producers again coming up short in their role; there was definitely a really great album here but they slacked off and followed the 2002 model.

3. Guitar anthems. When you have more potentially great guitar riffage songs than practically every album since SG, you need to lovingly give them attention, full sounding arrangements, impeccable guitar overdubs, etc. UTR, SSMC, RJ, RFD, LWTCDI and DTF would have been more masterfully treated and nourished on ANY prior Stones' record.

4. Presentation. As many have noted, brick walled sound and too many songs. Let the mixes breathe and whittle it down to 45 minutes; release the rest as outtakes, b-sides, downloads, etc. And the handling of UTR as a deluxe edition bonus track only?! Face palm. Shoulda been one of the first tracks that everybody heard on the album and trotted out on the road.

Again, great starting material and feels, but a frustrating listening experience because they didn't flesh out the songs and let them live up to their potential. Then they brickwalled the sound and didn't cull the songs down to the strongest 10 tracks. A missed opportunity.

thumbs up I don't quite agree that the starting material was much better - or at all - than in the previous albums, but a great and insightful analysis of the serious problems occurring in the finishing stage of the album. Instrumental- and arrangementwise the album lacks imagination and is composed on way too many one-track minded obvious choices. Were they too hurry, too lazy, too old, or just not too inspired by the raw material, I don't know.

- Doxa

Posted by: goingmad ()
Date: November 8, 2013 10:36

This could have been a great rock album:

1 Rough Justice
2 Under the radar
3 Let me down slow
4 Back of my hand
5 This place is empty
6 Oh no not you again
7 It won't take long
8 She saw me coming
9 Laugh I nearly died
10 We don't wanna go home

Date: November 8, 2013 10:48

Look What The Cat Dragged In and Shw Saw Me Coming ARE guitar anthems. Lots of great playing on those tracks.

The arrangements on songs like Let Me Down Slow, Sweet Neocon, This Place Is Empty and Laugh, I Nearly Died are far from demo-ish.

The problem is that some the songs just aren't that good, and there are too many of them on the album.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 8, 2013 12:06

LMDS is, for me, an under appreciated gem of a track

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 8, 2013 12:30

I don't understand the "no solos" argument.

Solos are not important. 80% of the songs that made the stones what they are, have no solos whatsoever.

I don't understand the "unfinished" argument either. ABB is as it is because the Stones decided to release it this way. Add more arrangements, rework bridges, add solos, are all ideas they already used in the past, but are not essential ingredients of a good recording.

If there is a point that is often overlooked, is that ABB is essentially the Stones attempt to "home recording". I think they set a quite high standard in the field.

Compression. Good, bad? It's a matter of taste.

C

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 8, 2013 13:43

liddas

Solos are not important. 80% of the songs that made the stones what they are, have no solos whatsoever.

I don't understand the "unfinished" argument either. ABB is as it is because the Stones decided to release it this way. Add more arrangements, rework bridges, add solos, are all ideas they already used in the past, but are not essential ingredients of a good recording.

If there is a point that is often overlooked, is that ABB is essentially the Stones attempt to "home recording". I think they set a quite high standard in the field.

#

thumbs up

Apart from the bit about compression winking smiley

There nothing wrong with compression if it's used appropriatley.
[Some compression is always necessary when mastering a commercial release.]

But when it's overdone to optimise the sound for poor or portable playback equipment [as it too often the case], it can severely compromise the music.

There no real dynamics. No difference in level between the quieter and louder sounds to give the appropriate emphasis or reveal the "touch" of the musicians.

Imagine for example if SF had been produced in the same way. What would CYHMK sound like if it didn't swell and build towards the ending as it so wonderfully does confused smiley

Edited to add...

...We'll probably find out when it's again Digitally Disastered next year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-08 13:59 by Spud.

Date: November 8, 2013 14:21

liddas

C

I don't care about the solos either, and it is very likely that the album sounds like it is or was supposed to sound (an artistic choice). But then again, taken the way it was recorded; Mick and Keith providing the backing tracks by themselves, the rest then adding their contribution afterwards (and not much about the old habit of having the whole band together and trying to catch the right feel and moment) - was that more like a choice made out of necessity (Charlie's illness, Ronnie's rehabs) to have the product available to get the big wheels rolling on (tour)? Or just as it was the easiest way, with minimal effort, to get the record done?

But to me the problem in 'home recording', even though it being an interesting experiment theoretically, is that it sounds like that every first, instict idea available occur to mind is used, and that's it. Not actual error and trial, new angles, etc. To me that sounds more like artistic lazyness than spontaneus 'garage rock' feel. Namely the ideas that seem to have occurred to the masterminds sound like being autopilot-like, with no real inspiration. The easiest and most obvious ones. It sounds that there is way too many tracks, way too many routines, way too much history in their belt in order to sound at least a bit fresh or innovative in their intuitions. Like they are victims of their own music, and they can't reach out. The result is an album full of Rolling Stones cliches, and the idea of presenting them even more 'roughly' - they stood out more clearly - than before just emphasizes the lack of fresh ideas and inspiration. That's at least what my ears tell me.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-08 14:22 by Doxa.

Date: November 8, 2013 14:34

I'll quote Charlie: "It's just a good record" grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-08 14:43 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 8, 2013 14:44

ABB is essentially the Stones attempt to "home recording".
.......YEP!!! that's it liddas....... New Millennium Garage Rock

ROCKMAN

Date: November 8, 2013 14:45

Fancy garages they have. Bigger and poshier than mine winking smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 8, 2013 14:50

Hmm, they did the home recording thing already back in 1970 - 1972. grinning smiley

Date: November 8, 2013 14:51

His Majesty
Hmm, they did the home recording thing already back in 1970 - 1972. grinning smiley

Yep, with a "bit' better results...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Date: November 8, 2013 14:53

And with a better mobile studio, imo winking smiley

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: November 8, 2013 15:29

Doxa
liddas

C

I don't care about the solos either, and it is very likely that the album sounds like it is or was supposed to sound (an artistic choice). But then again, taken the way it was recorded; Mick and Keith providing the backing tracks by themselves, the rest then adding their contribution afterwards (and not much about the old habit of having the whole band together and trying to catch the right feel and moment) - was that more like a choice made out of necessity (Charlie's illness, Ronnie's rehabs) to have the product available to get the big wheels rolling on (tour)? Or just as it was the easiest way, with minimal effort, to get the record done?

But to me the problem in 'home recording', even though it being an interesting experiment theoretically, is that it sounds like that every first, instict idea available occur to mind is used, and that's it. Not actual error and trial, new angles, etc. To me that sounds more like artistic lazyness than spontaneus 'garage rock' feel. Namely the ideas that seem to have occurred to the masterminds sound like being autopilot-like, with no real inspiration. The easiest and most obvious ones. It sounds that there is way too many tracks, way too many routines, way too much history in their belt in order to sound at least a bit fresh or innovative in their intuitions. Like they are victims of their own music, and they can't reach out. The result is an album full of Rolling Stones cliches, and the idea of presenting them even more 'roughly' - they stood out more clearly - than before just emphasizes the lack of fresh ideas and inspiration. That's at least what my ears tell me.

- Doxa

No doubt that there is too many tracks on ABB - and you can have point about the cliches you mention, but to my ears they are transcendented on a handful of tracks: It Won't Take Long, Laugh I Nearly Died, Rain Fall Down and Oh No Not You Again. Jagger's vocals on IWTL are just astonishing, I have heard that track hundreds of times and am still mesmerized by his delievery (also by the lyrics). RFD was a magnificent return to the soul-funk dancefloor, it had the potential to be hit on the dancefloor charts IMO. ABB is uneven, but it has got it's peaks too, I think.

Date: November 8, 2013 15:52

Weak sometimes almost non existent melodies, iffy lyrics and dodgy production.

That's been the main theme running through their music for far too long.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-08 15:52 by His Majesty.

Date: November 8, 2013 16:06

His Majesty
Weak sometimes almost non existent melodies, iffy lyrics and dodgy production.

That's been the main theme running through their music for far too long.

I agree, partly.

However, there are always a handful of exceptions on their albums - it's the same with ABB.

There are songs with good melodies, and where the production is on par. Sadly, many of the songs aren't.

Here are a few with both good production as well as melodies, imo (It doesn't mean I like all of them that much, but by your criterias, they're pretty good):

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 8, 2013 17:38

Keith - "I like Streets Of Love very much" while looking at the floor and sounding as convincing as a politician.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: November 8, 2013 17:59

Spud
liddas

#

thumbs up

But when it's overdone to optimise the sound for poor or portable playback equipment [as it too often the case], it can severely compromise the music.

There no real dynamics. No difference in level between the quieter and louder sounds to give the appropriate emphasis or reveal the "touch" of the musicians.

Imagine for example if SF had been produced in the same way. What would CYHMK sound like if it didn't swell and build towards the ending as it so wonderfully does confused smiley

Edited to add...

No need to wait next year. You can find out how disastrous SF sounds once remastered in a "modern way" (ie dynamics compressed to death) on Universal 2009 remaster.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 8, 2013 18:09

Denny
"No Bill Wyman"* has been a common feature of just about every Rolling Stones studio album since about 1969 or so, ha ha! No wonder he ****ed off eventually, eh?

*Okay, more like "not much Bill Wyman", or "guess where Bill Wyman is?" but still...

On one or two tracks (ok, nine on Exile), but when he left the rhythm section was never the same. They never got the wobble back.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 8, 2013 18:12

71Tele
Denny

On one or two tracks (ok, nine on Exile), but when he left the rhythm section was never the same. They never got the wobble back.

OK, so only missed half the tracks on the album widely regarded as their pinnacle and penultimate.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 8, 2013 19:16

Spud
liddas

#

thumbs up

Edited to add...

All in all you are right, of course.

But while brick-walling Knocking is wrong, because that is not how they wanted it to sound at the time (at least, its wrong to brick wall Knocking and leave us without alternative), this is not the case with ABB.

ABB was born brick-walled!

Take have you seen your mother baby. Technically its a mess. But they wanted it that way. Had they recorded it at the Sticky Fingers sessions, it would have been completely different.

So once again, brick-walled sound is not "bad". It's an artistic choice. Its a matter of taste. These days it's the dominant taste, and I am not against it. Most of us don't like it because we grew up with different dynamics. But its all relative. The average classical music recording has way more dynamics than the most dynamic rolling stone LP!

C

Posted by: R ()
Date: November 8, 2013 21:37

ABB would have been a classic Stones album IF:

1. It had been pared down to 10-11 songs including "Under The Radar" and IF

2. It had actually been recorded by the Stones as a band rather individual members layering parts over a demo which negates any possibility that the music might actually swing or that the ambiance of the studio might actually be captured (think bass and drums on "Exile'") and IF

3. It had been mastered with listening headroom rather than the brickwalled, everything as loud as everything else, iPod splat that was used. Hell, the vinyl sounds like sh*t because they simply transferred the Made for iTunes masters.

Date: November 8, 2013 21:38

DandelionPowderman

I agree, partly.

It,s funny, when things get taken out and individualised the good in them seems more apparent, but for what ever reason there's something wrong when everything is taken together. confused smiley

I only ever really hear post Jones stones stuff via here, I mean I now only actually own their debut and Aftermath - Beggars Banquet. grinning smiley

I really ought to shut up about anything outside of those albums.

cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-08 21:40 by His Majesty.

Date: November 8, 2013 21:49

grinning smiley

I just bought the Run Rudolph Run vinyl single.

I got a underground garage cd with it from Little Steven once (long story), but I discovered I didn't have the single in my collection!

Dunno how rare ut is, but I got it in near mint condition for under £ 20.

My point? I'm a completist, but a rather unstructured one. Come to think of it, I don't own Flowers...

EDIT: Drunk post smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-08 21:51 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: November 8, 2013 21:55

DandelionPowderman

EDIT: Drunk post smileys with beer

drinking smiley Bottoms up ol boy. drinking smiley

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: November 8, 2013 22:25

goingmad

1 Rough Justice
2 Under the radar
3 Let me down slow
4 Back of my hand
5 This place is empty
6 Oh no not you again
7 It won't take long
8 She saw me coming
9 Laugh I nearly died

Then it would have been a monster good record. If you include Driving too... and Look what the cat . - even better.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 9, 2013 00:23

mtaylor
goingmad

1 Rough Justice
2 Under the radar
3 Let me down slow
4 Back of my hand
5 This place is empty
6 Oh no not you again
7 It won't take long
8 She saw me coming
9 Laugh I nearly died

Then it would have been a monster good record. If you include Driving too... and Look what the cat . - even better.

You're missing Dangerous Beauty...the single best cut on the album.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2024
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home