Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: A Bigger Bang
Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: November 9, 2013 00:51

treaclefingers
mtaylor
goingmad
This could have been a great rock album:

1 Rough Justice
2 Under the radar
3 Let me down slow
4 Back of my hand
5 This place is empty
6 Oh no not you again
7 It won't take long
8 She saw me coming
9 Laugh I nearly died
10 We don't wanna go home

Then it would have been a monster good record. If you include Driving too... and Look what the cat . - even better.

You're missing Dangerous Beauty...the single best cut on the album.

Could be as well .., but then a 13 songs great record. Had they coordinated the release, they would have had a US No. 1.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: November 13, 2013 01:43

GasLightStreet
CanYouHearTheMusic
Question: Why is it a consensus that "Sweet Neo Con" is one of their worst songs/one of this album's worst songs? Are the people who claim this a) libertarians, b) genuine fans of the Rumsfeld/Cheney/Bush policies or c) people who actually liked the actions of the U.S. and U.K. governments at that time?

You left out d) fans who just think it sucks

I just think it stinks. Sucks. Whatever. I don't care so much about whatever political stance someone has and how they feel etc, especially if it's articulated enough to not come off as chest thumping. No more so than if I was to get upset if I found out they like Campbell's Soup or ate Kelloggs cereals or my best friend likes Elton John. Everyone makes bad choices. It's not the end of the world.

It's somewhat funny, this song, lyrically. But really it's just a giant shitbomb of a song. It's as bad as Winning Ugly.

You just gotta LOVE that 'miss-a-beat' at the start... Brilliant Stones' stuff.
(...not talking about Winning Ugly, btw.)

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: November 13, 2013 01:52

RoughJusticeOnYa
GasLightStreet
CanYouHearTheMusic
Question: Why is it a consensus that "Sweet Neo Con" is one of their worst songs/one of this album's worst songs? Are the people who claim this a) libertarians, b) genuine fans of the Rumsfeld/Cheney/Bush policies or c) people who actually liked the actions of the U.S. and U.K. governments at that time?

You left out d) fans who just think it sucks

I just think it stinks. Sucks. Whatever. I don't care so much about whatever political stance someone has and how they feel etc, especially if it's articulated enough to not come off as chest thumping. No more so than if I was to get upset if I found out they like Campbell's Soup or ate Kelloggs cereals or my best friend likes Elton John. Everyone makes bad choices. It's not the end of the world.

It's somewhat funny, this song, lyrically. But really it's just a giant shitbomb of a song. It's as bad as Winning Ugly.

You just gotta LOVE that 'miss-a-beat' at the start... Brilliant Stones' stuff.
(...not talking about Winning Ugly, btw.)

Sweet Neo Con - I love the lyrics, funny and spot on. Somehow the groove and melody is not there, It really don't take off, it's more like a boring jam with good political rant but the music is rather tiresome, it's mediocre jam, - safed by good lyrics. One of the best Jagger lyrics in years.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: November 13, 2013 01:55

CanYouHearTheMusic
Question: Why is it a consensus that "Sweet Neo Con" is one of their worst songs/one of this album's worst songs? Are the people who claim this a) libertarians, b) genuine fans of the Rumsfeld/Cheney/Bush policies or c) people who actually liked the actions of the U.S. and U.K. governments at that time? I personally thought it was one of the three best on the record and that Mick's lyrics were really biting and the music snarled! I was wholly disappointed that, in his effort to not get the boos from half of the divided crowd that CSNY got every night they played "Let's Impeach The President" on their concurrent tour, they NEVER played it live. Mick's genuine urge to be daring had long been replaced by the need for total audience acceptance, 100% of the time if possible. A shame.

As others have said, the song sucks. Secondly, I fit your demographic. Young entrepreneur, social and fiscal conservative, and that doesn't stop me from loving Midnight Rambler (murder), Brown Sugar (slavery), Respectable (adultery), etc... Most Stones fans are pretty solid people. Whether I agree with you all here on IORR or not, most of us want to be faithful to our wives, party it up, etc... HOWEVER, I'd venture to say that most of us do not want to be Satan incarnate and go around pretending to be the Boston Strangler.

When a song sucks, it sucks. My personal worldview affects me deeply, but you don't have to be a libertarian to see that Sweet Neo Con is a terrible song. As terrible as Suck On The Jugular, Winning Ugly etc...

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: November 13, 2013 02:17

I think one thing gotta be said of Sweet Neo Con - it's one of the only times when Jagger had guts to take stand on something, most of Stones songs are about women, partying, fun, etc ... and they have voided political topics, I can only think of two songs where Stones had guts to take stand on an politicial issue: Highwire ( Song about American arms dealing) and Sweet Neo Con. It's not that often you hear Jagger having a opinion in a song.

Re: Why does everyone hate Bigger Bang - only one crappy song, the rest is great.
Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: November 14, 2013 20:24

DandelionPowderman
jamesfdouglas
Under the Radar is not on the album.
It's a b-side.
"Yeah, but it should count because it..."

No.

It is indeed on the deluxe edition (which is the only one I own).

Was it on the regular album proper? Nope.

[thepowergoats.com]

Re: Why does everyone hate Bigger Bang - only one crappy song, the rest is great.
Date: November 14, 2013 20:43

jamesfdouglas
DandelionPowderman
jamesfdouglas
It's a b-side.

No.

No, it wasn't...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 14, 2013 20:45

DandelionPowderman
jamesfdouglas
DandelionPowderman
jamesfdouglas
It's a b-side.

No.

No, it wasn't...

Don't let Jimmy talk to you like that Dandy

Date: November 14, 2013 21:02

Anyway, it's hard to find the b-side on those hybrid cds/dvds winking smiley

Date: November 14, 2013 21:50

DandelionPowderman
Anyway, it's hard to find the b-side on those hybrid cds/dvds winking smiley

I find the stylus always scratches the hell out of my cd's...I don't know why they bother.

Date: November 14, 2013 22:07

And it doesn't quite jump to where the 45s start, either..

Date: November 14, 2013 22:11

DandelionPowderman
And it doesn't quite jump to where the 45s start, either..

damn technology.

I'm waiting for the day where we don't need these damn round physical pieces of software to listen to music.

Date: November 14, 2013 23:03

flacnvinyl
CanYouHearTheMusic
Question: Why is it a consensus that "Sweet Neo Con" is one of their worst songs/one of this album's worst songs? Are the people who claim this a) libertarians, b) genuine fans of the Rumsfeld/Cheney/Bush policies or c) people who actually liked the actions of the U.S. and U.K. governments at that time? I personally thought it was one of the three best on the record and that Mick's lyrics were really biting and the music snarled! I was wholly disappointed that, in his effort to not get the boos from half of the divided crowd that CSNY got every night they played "Let's Impeach The President" on their concurrent tour, they NEVER played it live. Mick's genuine urge to be daring had long been replaced by the need for total audience acceptance, 100% of the time if possible. A shame.

As others have said, the song sucks. Secondly, I fit your demographic. Young entrepreneur, social and fiscal conservative, and that doesn't stop me from loving Midnight Rambler (murder), Brown Sugar (slavery), Respectable (adultery), etc... Most Stones fans are pretty solid people. Whether I agree with you all here on IORR or not, most of us want to be faithful to our wives, party it up, etc... HOWEVER, I'd venture to say that most of us do not want to be Satan incarnate and go around pretending to be the Boston Strangler.

When a song sucks, it sucks. My personal worldview affects me deeply, but you don't have to be a libertarian to see that Sweet Neo Con is a terrible song. As terrible as Suck On The Jugular, Winning Ugly etc...

Nah, the song's the 2nd best on the entire record, the masterpiece Laugh, I Nearly Died being the first. Great, snarling lyrics that are 110% correct in every way about the military-industrial complex & utter hypocrisy of the Bush/Blair administrations, killer groove, awesome harmonica. To compare it to the awful Suck On The Jugular or the mediocre-at-best (but filled with killer guitar leads) Winning Ugly? Scratching my head on that one. Oh well, tomato potato as one of my buddies always says when we reach a friendly stalemate in musical discussions! grinning smiley

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: November 15, 2013 00:44

CanYouHearTheMusic
flacnvinyl
CanYouHearTheMusic

Nah, the song's the 2nd best on the entire record, the masterpiece Laugh, I Nearly Died being the first. Great, snarling lyrics that are 110% correct in every way about the military-industrial complex & utter hypocrisy of the Bush/Blair administrations, killer groove, awesome harmonica. To compare it to the awful Suck On The Jugular or the mediocre-at-best (but filled with killer guitar leads) Winning Ugly? Scratching my head on that one. Oh well, tomato potato as one of my buddies always says when we reach a friendly stalemate in musical discussions! grinning smiley

Ha! Even if the lyrics had been about Obama and my rising healthcare costs, I still would have disliked the song. You are spot on about the 'snarling' lyrics... thats the part that I DISlike. Ha!

She Saw Me Coming, on the otherhand, has gotten alot better with time!

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: November 15, 2013 01:33

CanYouHearTheMusic
Of all their post-WWIII albums, I like this one the most. It's still not an album of theirs I get out very often, but there are some definite highlights.

its actually because its a lame song full of childish lyrics.the great thing about the 60's stones was that they never stooped to that hippie level"lets change the world with a rock song "crap.

how could any functioning adult really think that a song on a rock album would make a piss in the ocean amount of difference in the world.

its more than likely mick was sitting in his mansion watching the news,stopped and wrote the song in 5 minutes and then went on to something else.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 15, 2013 04:19

its more than likely mick was sitting in his mansion watching the news,stopped and wrote the song in 5 minutes and then went on to something else.

No Lem it was Keef who went onta Something Else ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: November 15, 2013 04:34

Mate spent the day with Daryl Jones in Sydney yesterday.
Said he mentioned D&G and OMS were the only new songs, but, there is a heap of leftover from the Bang sessions.
Said tour is a lock, didnt give any more details.

Date: November 15, 2013 09:42

Deathgod
Mate spent the day with Daryl Jones in Sydney yesterday.
Said he mentioned D&G and OMS were the only new songs, but, there is a heap of leftover from the Bang sessions.
Said tour is a lock, didnt give any more details.

thumbs up

3 songs from 'A Bigger Bang'
Posted by: ts ()
Date: December 13, 2013 04:04

1. Biggest Mistake
2. This Place is Empty
3. Laugh, I Nearly Died

Random. Perfect. It's Only Rock and Roll .

Re: 3 songs from 'A Bigger Bang'
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 13, 2013 04:28

1. Let Me Down Slow
2. Biggest Mistake
3. Dangerous Beauty

Date: December 13, 2013 04:37

oh yes a little dressed up...

4. Let Me Down Slow. Real.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 13, 2013 06:20

Ladies and Gentlemen....they still sound like THE ROLLING STONES!!!

1. It Won't Take Long
2. She Saw Me Coming
3. Back Of My Hand

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: December 13, 2013 06:31

1. Rough Justice (their best tune since 1978!)
2. Back of My Hand (best blues since Exile)
3. Driving too Fast (simple rock and roll)

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Date: December 13, 2013 07:31

Wait...Did someone say 'She Saw Me Coming"

yes it is the Rolling Stones

Date: December 13, 2013 07:48

Hey is 'Moonlight Mile" on Bigger Bang? Because. I am hearing it now on the 'phones and it sounds fine.

Date: December 13, 2013 08:17

...you need a bang ... hhheeha

ROCKMAN

Posted by: FortuneTeller800 ()
Date: December 13, 2013 09:09

CanYouHearTheMusic
Of all their post-WWIII albums, I like this one the most. It's still not an album of theirs I get out very often, but there are some definite highlights.

It's obvious to me that most here agree with the political stance of the song. My problem with that song is the infantile, clumsy manner in which the point is made. A songwriter of Jagger's caliber should be way more clever and sublime .

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: December 13, 2013 12:42

- Doxa[/quote]

No doubt that there is too many tracks on ABB - and you can have point about the cliches you mention, but to my ears they are transcendented on a handful of tracks: It Won't Take Long, Laugh I Nearly Died, Rain Fall Down and Oh No Not You Again. Jagger's vocals on IWTL are just astonishing, I have heard that track hundreds of times and am still mesmerized by his delievery (also by the lyrics). RFD was a magnificent return to the soul-funk dancefloor, it had the potential to be hit on the dancefloor charts IMO. ABB is uneven, but it has got it's peaks too, I think.[/quote]

Absolutely agree, it is flawed, it is definitely overlong with a few fillers that bring the score down, but it also has some wonderful material. As a review mentioned recently when I was reading up about it "after 40 years they can still pull out material from the top drawer".

'Rain Fall Down', 'Laugh I Nearly Died', 'It Won't Take Long', 'This Place Is Empty', 'Let Me Down Slow', 'Back of My Hand' are all absolitely terrific I think; with 'Look What the Car Dragged In' and 'Rough Justice' being almost up there with them.

Like many at the time I have my own "A Better Bang" on the ol' ipod, cutting away the filler ('Infamy', 'Sweet Neo Con', 'Streets of Love' and one or two others). Left with an 11-track album that sounds damn fine to me.

Date: December 13, 2013 13:09

'Look What the Car Dragged In'....hey yeah that's better title...10/10

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Powerage ()
Date: December 13, 2013 14:11

'Streets of Love': an unnecessary horror

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1909
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home