Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
A Bigger Bang
Posted by: seitan ()
Date: October 24, 2013 19:39

Why does everyone hate Bigger Bang - only one crappy song ( streets of love), but the rest of the album is great. Back to rock n roll and loud guitars, - I know that some of you dont like the idea of having any powerfull guitars ( fans of Undercover) on the album, but I still think of Stones as a rock band. i think Bigger Bang is a good solid rock record: Rough Justice, Dangerous Beauty, Under The Radar, Look What The Cat Dragged In, etc etc

Great Stones album

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-24 21:21 by bv.

Re: Why does everyone hate Bigger Bang - only one crappy song, the rest is great.
Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: October 24, 2013 19:47

Reasons why I hate Bigger Bang :
1.) Terrible sound, production and recording engineering
2.) Poor, lazy, sophomoric song-writing
3.) Lousy guitar work, bad arrangements
4.) It sounds like a re-hash of all of their worst songs and song ideas from past records. It all sounds badly familiar.
5.) It hurts my ears

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-24 19:47 by Bungo.

Re: Why does everyone hate Bigger Bang - only one crappy song, the rest is great.
Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: October 24, 2013 19:50

Streets of Love, Sweet Neo Con, Look What The Cat Dragged In, Driving Too Fast and Infamy are terrible songs (in my opinion).

Under The Radar, Rough Justice, Oh No Not You Again, and the most underrated song on the album, Let Me Down Slow, are highlights.

Overall I'd say many of us hate the mixing! The mastering crunched the hell out of every song. Rough Justice is so blown out and distorted that the snare just eats into everything. If any dynamic range were left it would sound more like She's So Cold, and it would come off as a far more powerful opener! Oh No Not You Again has the rhythm guitar mixed at HALF the volume of Keith's fills. Don't get me wrong... I like Keith's riffs, but the rhythm drives the whole song. Not to mention the TERRIBLE sound of the kick drum. Just a loud thud.

Album had great potential. They should have ditched a few songs or take more time to craft the tracks into something more memorable... something they'd like to play on tour. And fire the engineers responsible for mixing and mastering.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 24, 2013 19:54

Bungo
Reasons why I hate Bigger Bang :
1.) Terrible sound, production and recording engineering
2.) Poor, lazy, sophomoric song-writing
3.) Lousy guitar work, bad arrangements
4.) It sounds like a re-hash of all of their worst songs and song ideas from past records. It all sounds badly familiar.
5.) It hurts my ears

I agree thumbs up

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 24, 2013 20:15

I guess this time the title hit more on target...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 24, 2013 20:47

Under the Radar is not on the album.
It's a b-side.
"Yeah, but it should count because it..."

No.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 24, 2013 20:48

I wholeheartidy agree with the original post. This was easily the best album since Tattoo You IMO, and that was really surprising for me when it came out. Rough Justice is classic Stones. Sure, instead of being some meaningful track like Gimme Shelter it has forgettable lyrics, but its a rocking tune. That was a breath of fresh air when I first heard this CD.

The rest of the album is great. Let Me Down Slow is arguably my favorite Stones track since 1981. I guess because its a ballad people NEED to hate Streets Of Love. Its smaltzy, but I have always thought it was great. A stand out from the album when I first got it and so happy when they played it live when I saw them. Back Of My Hand, Biggest Mistake, She Saw Me Coming. Killer rock with Oh No Not You Again. Two great Keith songs in This Place Is Empty and Infamy. Yeah, its long, but most of the tracks are very good. Maybe generic, but overall they had a strength to them IMO. I do think the album would have been amazing as a 10-12 song record, but still with the 16 it is very good.

I have never understood the hate. I don't mean to shit on the Stones, but come on. Undercover and Dirty Work are acquired tastes I guess. I won't say they're bad even though thats how I feel. Steel Wheels is half good, half really bad. Voodoo Lounge is a long album of generic songs. None of them feel inspired to me at all. Bridges To Babylon is almost an album I don't consider exists. It was laughable that the Stones put out ANOTHER album in 2005, yet it turned out to be great. I don't know how people compare it to the drivel we have gotten since Tattoo You. I have always thought it is easily miles better than the crap we've gotten the last 30 years. I mean seriously, people think Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge and Bridges are good albums? I guess its hypocritical for me to say those suck when I say this is great and everyone else says it sucks, but this album has at least 5 stand out tunes, at least 3 more stand out songs than the other albums have. I absolutely do not understand why people hate it.

I LIKE BIGGER BANG
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 24, 2013 20:49

OK, here we go again. Your thread title is wrong. Not everyone hates Bigger Bang. I like Bigger Bang.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 24, 2013 20:54

Rollingfreak, they way youdescribe Voodoo Lounge is exactly how I feel about A Bigger Bang. At best it's generic (Rain Fall Down) and at times worse than anything they'd ever done prior (Streets of Love, Sweet Neo Con).

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: john nicholls ()
Date: October 24, 2013 21:00

Stand out track has to be 'Laugh I Nearly Died' Stones doing what they do best!!!

John Nicholls

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 24, 2013 21:22

As a whole, I think its a very very good work. At least, I like it.

I'm not even bothered by the compressed sound. On the other hand there never was a Stones album that was not somehow influenced by the then current production fashions.

I even like streets of love!

Only thing I truly don't like is the cover.

C

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 24, 2013 21:24

Out of the three Post Wyman albums, I will actually listen to this one from time to time. I really like Rough Justice, Laugh I Nearly Died, and a few others. Yes, it suffers in many spots from retroism, where a song is faintly reminiscent of an earlier Stones song.

Face it, we might not ever see a Stones album of even this quality again. The guitars haven't gotten better since 2005. And I think they would fall into the trap of making a Stoneish album if they did attempt it.

And not everybody hates A Bigger Bang, not as long as Undercover and Dirty Work are still in the catalogue. And half of Voodoo Lounge and Bridges to Babylon is not so much bad as forgettable. A Bigger Bang was their best album since Steel Wheels.

Re: A Bigger Bang
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 24, 2013 21:26

streets of love , rain fall down , are not good

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 24, 2013 21:27

Whats with these wildly exaggerated and ridiculous 'why does everyone hate.......(insert latter day album of your choice) ' threads?

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: October 24, 2013 21:28

I much prefer this...

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: October 24, 2013 21:34

What does Gazza hate the "Why does everybody hate..." threads?

I'm guessing it has more to do with wanting to tell everybody they like an "underrated album" than actually wanting people's opinions on the matter. Because when you get to the bottom of it, it's just a matter of taste and the best you can hope for is an agreement to disagree.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 24, 2013 21:46

The Stones haven't released a truly terrific studio-album since 1981's Tattoo You. There is nothing inherently wrong with A Bigger Bang - some quite OK tracks, actually - it just isn't particularly good, either. It very middle-aged and very middle-of-the-road. I don't expect any more from them, truthfully.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 24, 2013 22:01

I'ts not a bad album maybe they should have record the album in one take with no overdubbing, I can hardly identify the instruments, they all seems to meld in one....

Agree with Big Al 1981 is the year for me...

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: October 24, 2013 22:10

GREAT RECORD..
WOULD LOVE ANOTHER ONE.

Date: October 24, 2013 22:11

NoCode0680

I'm guessing it has more to do with wanting to tell everybody they like an "underrated album" than actually wanting people's opinions on the matter. Because when you get to the bottom of it, it's just a matter of taste and the best you can hope for is an agreement to disagree.

smoking smiley

Methinks some people on here just protesteth too much. smiling smiley

I dont think theres any Stones album which is widely disliked on here, let alone hated.

Even their most mediocre studio records (a list which IMO consists of Satanic Majesties and Dirty Work) have a few moments of magnificence which make them better than the finest albums by 95% of acts on the planet.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 24, 2013 22:14

NICOS
I'ts not a bad album maybe they should have record the album in one take with no overdubbing, I can hardly identify the instruments, they all seems to meld in one....

Agree with Big Al 1981 is the year for me...

Maybe they were trying to adhere to that Loog Oldham production style?

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 24, 2013 22:20

What do the Stones think of it?
How many songs from this album did they play on the 50 and counting tour?

Date: October 24, 2013 22:36

I think this album holds up reasonably well. Maybe no outstanding individual cuts a la Saint Of Me, but IMHO best thing this side of Undercover...with the exception of the Some Girls Deluxe bonus cuts.

Date: October 24, 2013 22:45

BluzDude
What do the Stones think of it?
How many songs from this album did they play on the 50 and counting tour?

I think thats more a reflection on how much they trust the audience than the songs.

Date: October 24, 2013 22:52

Guess I'm crazy because I also think Their Majesties is outstanding. And I think Emotional Rescue, Undercover, Dirty Work, Voodoo Lounge, and Bridges suck. I think A Bigger Bang is better than all of those I listed.

Date: October 24, 2013 22:56

Gazza
NoCode0680

smoking smiley

I dont think theres any Stones album which is widely disliked on here, let alone hated.

Even their most mediocre studio records (a list which IMO consists of Satanic Majesties and Dirty Work) have a few moments of magnificence which make them better than the finest albums by 95% of acts on the planet.

methinks thou doth protest too much.

Posted by: Zagalo ()
Date: October 24, 2013 23:04

A fine album - but I also love ER and Voodoo Lounge - ambivalent re Bridges at best.
TSMR is also in my top 10 - that's the great thing - nobody is going to agree cool smiley
Let the 'debate' roll on!

PS The Stones are always the worst judges of which songs to choose - too many examples...
...but Under The Radar not on the album. Really?

Date: October 24, 2013 23:27

Zagalo
PS The Stones are always the worst judges of which songs to choose - too many examples...
...but Under The Radar not on the album. Really?
The Stones HATE Between The Buttons, a phenomenal album. Its impossible to me that they see THAT as a throwaway. Every song has an amazing hook and its such an eccentrically brilliant record. I agree they are usually not the best judges of their own material. At least in retrospective terms.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 25, 2013 08:13

Gazza
NoCode0680

smoking smiley

+1

JumpingKentFlash

Date: October 25, 2013 10:43

jamesfdouglas
Under the Radar is not on the album.
It's a b-side.
"Yeah, but it should count because it..."

No.

It is indeed on the deluxe edition (which is the only one I own).

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1206
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home