Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

What can they offer?
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 3, 2005 14:42

I am actually quite curious what the Stones can offer this time around. We've seen it all before, haven't we? For the last 15 years they are traveling the world with aproximately the same show, the same crew and the same music. Over the years, musically it really was a descending slope. In order to gain some extra credebillity they dished out some rarely played songs and played intimate theaters, but in all fairness it wasn't really good. I sure hope the album is a killer and we see a revived Stones musically, hopefully without the standard back-up musicians, but I am not that sure about it. I notice that for the first time in years, I am not even interested in the tour announcement or the standard bullshit like "it's the best work since the 60's" and all that crap. I notice it's just not interesting anymore...

Mathijs

Re: What can they offer?
Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: May 3, 2005 14:52

Now see...TAKE NOTE OPEN G...Mathijs has class.He does not like what has happened BUT he is able to extend the fact that he has hope. He is curious. He is able to express his dismay at the current sitution ...

WITHOUT WHINING PAINFULLY ON AND ON AND BECOMING AN ANNOYING SHRILL ONE NOTE WHISTLE SCREECHING ENDLESSLY IN OUR EARS.

Man take a lesson.

Thanks, Mathijs, I know you and I have butted heads in the past, mostly on politics, occasionally on the Stones. I am really happy to hear you say those words " I hope, " because I know how disappointed you were in the direction the Stones took on Licks, especially by the time they hit Europe. Like you I expect it will be much the same, but I am still cannot shake the excitement. And maybe, I HOPE, they will surprise us.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: May 3, 2005 14:55

The Stones are offering the same as they have always done in the last 40+ years.They are still the best live act in the world,and the Jagger/Richards songwriting is still as good as ever.
Same shows in the last 15 years what bollocks.No 2 shows are ever the same.
Maybe you need to stay at home with a cup of Horlicks and an Abba record.You have obviously missed the point.

Posted by: KeithRichards ()
Date: May 3, 2005 15:06

You're actually quite curious but it's not interesting anymore?? ;-)

I'm actually quite curious too, I remember that even you, Mathijs, said something positive about Ronnie's performance at his gig in London some time ago.
I really hope that Ronnie is able to perform at or near this level during the new tour.
I think that Keith's arthritis is more of a problem, I don't doubt for a second that he really wants to deliever a great performance, but his playing is simply limited due to his arthritis.
I guess they will tour with the same people as before, I can't see a reason why they should get rid of people they tour with since decades. Would be a nice surprise though, to see some new faces, even if that doesn't automatically mean an improvment...
What will be very interesting is how their new songs work live and I'm curious what they come up with for the stage design, etc. - I guess they'll do something special as it's their last major tour.
I really hope they see the signs of the time and improve their website and it's product range (shows, artwork for download for example)

About the upcoming album, my hopes are actually quite high. I don't know if the same things have been said about all their albums, but it's certainly good to read that Keith and Mick have been working together very closely.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-03 15:08 by KeithRichards.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: May 3, 2005 15:07

I don't get why so many people are upset about licks??
The DVD's are superb, the CD ok and the tour extensive and diverse.
What do you reckon the critics here will be able to achieve in their 60's??
Were approaching another tour/album which should be a case for excitement!

Otherwise you could be left with the remnents of a once great band like The Who.....

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: May 3, 2005 15:08

Yeah you know Mathijs I feel the same way. I just posted pretty much what you just said on another board myself. I had gotten a email from Bill German this morning and went to check it out. They quoted Keith talking abou the upcoming year. It all sounded somehow boring to me. Even the writer (and maybe even Keith) sounded bored too. Or I should say not really excited. Keith talked about the new tour and album and says "it's better than suicide". Now is that an unqualified drive and itch to get back on the road with a redhot new album?

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: May 3, 2005 15:15

Sure Mathijs has a point, as usual,but I still would like to go to as many club gigs as possible. And so would Mathijs as well when the time is there I think. But a kickass record would be great too. I'm hopeful.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 3, 2005 15:15

stargroover Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Stones are offering the same as they have
> always done in the last 40+ years.They are still
> the best live act in the world,and the
> Jagger/Richards songwriting is still as good as
> ever.
>
you cant be serious. Their songwriting is as good as ever?

What songwriting?

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: May 3, 2005 15:27

I'm curious, too. And to be honest, I have more hopes put in the album than in the tour. Mathijs is right about the band sounding musically quite similar on stage since '94: same arrangements, same tempo, same backing musicians... So I don't know waht to expect about the tour. Of course it'll be a huge success, and I'll see them again in a stadium, since they don't do theatre gigs here in Spain, but I wouldn't like to hear the same choruses by Bernard and Lisa, and the same arrangements.

But I'm waiting for a good album (notice I say good, not great or outstanding), just to put the Stones up again. And to be fair, I'd like to hear a Ronnie-influenced album, but it seems his contributions will be some licks here and there and some solo here... I'd really like that Ronnie were (really and fully) back in bussiness again. Mick and Charlie are secure values, and Keith... well, I suppose the final quality of the album (and mainly the tour) will depend a lot of Keith's form. And this is my worst fear: Keith's form.

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: Fansince1964 ()
Date: May 3, 2005 15:34

I just have one opinion on this one!
Let's just see what happens this time around.
I think the Stones have given us a lot of different type of tours.
The last which included stadiums, auditoriums and clubs/theaters.
What band has made an effort like that during the last 15 years.
I agree that the songs hasn't changed a lot but I think there were ammo in
the magazine (thanks Keith) last time around.
I think we're in for a surprise this time!
New album, different songs and great stage.

So I'd like to wait with the critics until the tour is finished.
And as Bruno says above I'd like to hear and see Ronnie take more
action and hope he won't be satisfied with a second hand role in
the music. For god sake turn him up in the mix this time!

HJofSweden

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 3, 2005 15:40

Mathijs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>I sure hope the album is a killer

You just prepare yourself for a killer-review, donĀ“t you?

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: May 3, 2005 16:18

Gazza,

Checkout Micks writing on Alfie or Godess.Stick on Voodoo lounge or Bridges.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: May 3, 2005 16:38

Re the songwriting I have to say that Jagger has been very active. Keith has been very absent. In writing, directing and playing.
And that is what is missing overall then, right? The interaction, the teamplay between the two of them. It's everything. It's the strength of the songs, it's the two of them together at the mike, it's the fire on stage, 'it's no Chuck Leavell. Jagger is writing many good songs these days but where do they go? Certainly not on Stones records. The true honest stuff that used to make the big hits goes on his soloalbums. If Jagger wrote "Wild Horses" today it would have been on "Goddess".
Like doxa said somewhere else the Stones are no longer Jagger's vehicle for expression. The Stones get "Don't Stop" - the Goddess gets "Brand New Set of Rules". And Keith is coasting on old laurels. The little he's contributed has been weak. Even live it was a cover done in that same croaky crooner style. Someone need to challenge Keith, need to rattle him awake. And to be honest I think the only person who he respects enough nowadays is Jagger. But Jagger doesn't seem to care enough about the Stones to do it. And there is a vicious cycle...

Posted by: lodge ()
Date: May 3, 2005 17:29

I am now following this band since 32 years. Live I saw them the first time 31 years ago. Don't you think we just expect to much. Tell me a Rockband who stayed out there for such a long time. U2 may be at its peak at the moment, but the Stones had all that from 81 to 95. Now it's a revival and I must admit I like the revival I even do not fancy a new album. Just a nice show with some old songs never played before or some remakes.
So if you do not have any comparisons what are we arguing about: Quality? long time ago... Rawness? too much adaption possible.... I just think: it's good to be here it's good to be anywhere.... it's good to see them perhaps tonight???
So don't expect to much, just be thankful for what you get.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: May 3, 2005 17:33

Judy Garland, Frank Sinatra and Elvis Presley did not possess hit singles when they took the stage for their final tours. Yes, their best work was in the past.....but you don't avoid the Parthanon because it is an old building.....has done nothing new in the few hundred years. You go and see the Rolling Stones because you can. Quit bitching and enjoy the tour....see ya in Boston!

Posted by: roby ()
Date: May 3, 2005 17:44

I don't wait any creative miracle regarding the new album. The 4 2002 songs are weak, except "Don't Stop", a good FM rock.

"and we see a revived Stones musically, hopefully without the standard back-up musicians" :

just a dream.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: May 3, 2005 17:48

I don't care if they have half of cheltenham ladies college as backup! Just more gigs will do me fine...

Date: May 3, 2005 23:52

These recent tours I believe are for fans who have just gotten into the band, not for us die hards who remember 1969 and 1972.

People who have never seen the band before want a piece of real rock and roll history and that's what they think they're getting.

That's what the band is offering -- nostalgia at extortionate prices. Shee... I'd rather buy a case of vintage French champagne and get some nostalgia that's value for money!

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: May 4, 2005 02:08

Hey, they still can offer much more than anyone else in music could, especially as far as performing is concerned!

"got to be worked on
don't have no bark nor bite..."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1688
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home