Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

I thought this was a board for Stones 'fans' I beginning to wonder
Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: May 1, 2005 20:54

There are people on here trashing The Stones for just about everything. It's easy to pick-on the truely greats I guess. Maybe you should all get together and start a board for 'wannabe' Stones fans.

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Re: I thought this was a board for Stones 'fans' I beginning to wonder
Posted by: KeithRichards ()
Date: May 1, 2005 21:07

I think it's better than just blindly adoring the Stones.

However, you are partly right, sometimes it goes a bit too far - and quite honestly, mainly the Ronnie vs. Vibrato debate really gets on my nerves. And please don't hijack this thread now to continue with it...

Posted by: keefsarse ()
Date: May 1, 2005 21:22

Put me in the former big fan category. I forgave 1978 and 1965 disasters, but Licks was the absolute worst. They stole from you with lousy performances. This tour will be even worst than licks 1978 or 1975. You are wasting your time and money.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: May 1, 2005 21:27

And you, K, former big fan; are you a fan now or just in here to demolish?

Date: May 1, 2005 22:59

Wait 'til the tour starts; the bashers will change their tune.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: May 1, 2005 23:41

keefsarse is not a stonefan,he is just another fool who,s here to bash the stones. probably a elton johnfan

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: May 2, 2005 00:50

I have no problem with former fans or indeed with people that never were fans. I do question people that have been unhappy for decades still returning to post. I mean not signing in is a lot easier than a divorce, and I cannopt imagine coming home to a spouse that has not pleased you for twenty years! It semes a bit unhealthy to me to check inot a site and merely complain that you have not had any enjoyment for 30 years. How about moving on?

Only Dylan and the Stones have pleased me throughtout all these years, and even Dylan lost nme for a while now and then. The Stones boards are the only ones I post on. Macca has not been on my buying list since the 70's except the post-assanaition cd and some of the live stuff, the only live recordings of Beatle songs by Beatles except the Harrsion live album. Yet I do not sign in at his web sites and moan over and over again.

LOL and as for the Vibrato thing, it seems like these are the people that should go to Bowie sites and complain he hasn't done a thing since he quit the Spiders and sent Mick Ronson on his way.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: May 2, 2005 02:18

Most of the people who are dishing the Stones are rather sad and pathetic individuals.They need to get off our cloud!

Posted by: drake ()
Date: May 2, 2005 03:30

So much thrashing over everything post 72. I'm a young Stonesfan (21) and every album was 'new' to me growing up. I've gotta admit that I enjoyed Exile/Some Girls/Emotional Rescue/Aftermath/Let It Bleed/Voodoo Lounge all equally. People need to start appreciating albums/tours for what they are. The 78 tour was not a joke. Go listen to Handsome Girls. Sweet Little 16, Respectable, When The Whip Comes Down, etc... some of the best guitar weaving ever recorded. No Taylor. Bridges did not suck, it was just a different tone. Same for Dirty Work. Same for Black n Blue. The only thing lousy about the licks tour was the high ticket prices. Setlists were pretty decent considering they have to cater to such large audiences. They brought out CYHMK so the tour wasnt a complete waste even if you werent happy hearing the hotrocks at every show.

I'm not one to defend the Stones on all accounts. I was at St. Louis in 97 when they played Waiting on a Friend. I took that as a personal insult to the entire world, seeing as everyone I know had been voting nonstop for Star Star. I shelled out $600, twice during the licks tour for tickets to Nashville and Detroit. I hated paying that much money, but I got decent boots from the shows and the Stones are always killer live.

Get off your high horse. If you think the Stones havent done anything good since '72, go home. Personally I'll remain critical of the setlists and hope they bring out She Was Hot/Jump On Top Of Me/Had It With You/Its Not Easy/Flight 505/Miss Amanda Jones, etc...

Drake

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: May 2, 2005 12:26

i completely agree with kahoosier
and especially with the bowie/ronson comparison
though i like the berlin era and some of of the late 70's early 80's things of the duke (lodger, scary monsters) i still remain fond of the early seventies bowie (that i think is common and reasonable) and for that i can call myself a bowie's fan
then, it never occured to me to sign in his fanclub and annoy people about how he was great then with mick and the spiders and how is pathetic now trying to keep on the tide playing with NIN or placebo

i think i'd be most pathetic myself if i do

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: May 2, 2005 13:47

But maybe we should maumau, maybe by not venting all that pent up disappointment we are going to explode one day! Imagine:

WE WANT NO STONES WITHOUT MT! NO LOU REED WITHOUT JOHN CALE! NO PAUL WITHOUT JOHN LENNON AND SCREW THE HES'DEAD EXCUSE! NO PLANT WITHOUT PAGE.NO JUSTIN WITHOUT N'SYNC !!!! NO JERRY FRIGGIN LEWIS WITHOUT DEAN MARTIN!!!!!!! NO BRITTANY WITHOUT THE OTHER MOUSKETEERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It stime we all raise our voices and let these friggin artists know that They are not allowed to change and since we cannot move on they cannot!

Quick...to the boards...if any one of you have a artist or group that you enjoyed a decade or two ago but have lost interst in...SIGN IN!! LET THEM ALL KNOW ON A DAILY BASIS HOW MUCH YOU ARE DISPAPPOINTED. REMIND EVERY FAN THAT THEY HAVE THAT THEY ARE STUPID DUMB F**CKS THAT MISSED OUT ON THE ONLY ERA THAT COUNTED IN THE CAREER OF THE HYPOCRITE THAT USED TO BE A SINCERE ARTIST THAT THEY ARE LSITENING TO TODAY!

Quick, what are the URL for the lou reed board, diana ross without the supremes, how can anyone listen to Van Morrison without the ....and the story goes on and on.

Date: May 2, 2005 15:43

smiling smiley oh my
kahoosier you want me laughing dead!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 2, 2005 15:50

I love the music of the Stones, however, they're just human like the rest of us and they're going to screw up sometimes.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: May 2, 2005 18:34

I have loved this band since I first heard "Jumping Jack Flash" in 1968 and when I criticise them, rather than blindly adore and proclaim that they can do no wrong as some here often do, it's because I DO love the band and expect great things from them because I know they are capable of producing great music and performances, which seem to have been lacking in the last few tours, at least in my view.

Having said that, will I buy the new album? Yes! Will I go see them this time around? Of course!

Posted by: Deidre ()
Date: May 2, 2005 21:03

Chris,

Then make an appointment soon with your bank manager! And hope they are a Stones' fan too.

We in Europe have another 7 months to get saving, I expect.

Posted by: country honk ()
Date: May 2, 2005 21:09

"We in Europe have another 7 months to get saving, I expect."

Come on - in Europe the price is exactly as for U2, Macca, Robbie Williams, Bruce Springsteen - etc. I have seem them all and I have paid exactly the same for all of them..... around 65-70 euro for a good seat.....

In respect of the above comment - I think it is right to say:

"I thought this was a board for Stones 'fans' I beginning to wonder"

People here are doing everything to put down Stones......

Ridiculous, that this Stones site needs to end in this way......

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: May 2, 2005 22:07

"Ridiculous, that this Stones site needs to end in this way......" Really? I didn't know Bjornulf was going to shut the site down! Is this in fact the case?

Deidreddy my fine fellow/gal/dog. I have already spoken to my bank manager and he assures me, barring a crash of the stock market and the collapse of the dollar, that the funds will indeed be in place! Frabjous day!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-03 00:42 by ChrisM.

Date: May 2, 2005 22:43

this is nothing really
i've seen (esp. Duran Duran) some boards where they get pissed
if you talk about the band!!
they will have 20 threads in a row about their what they
saw on TV last night!

Date: May 3, 2005 01:03

"I have loved this band since I first heard "Jumping Jack Flash" in 1968 and when I criticise them, rather than blindly adore and proclaim that they can do no wrong as some here often do, it's because I DO love the band and expect great things from them because I know they are capable of producing great music and performances, which seem to have been lacking in the last few tours, at least in my view."

dear chris
i certainly do "adore" stones and that is probably the reason why i spend my time posting here in a language that is not mine and not in some bowie's or tomwaits or beck or wilco etc....
to "adore" does not mean that i think or post that "they can do no wrong". well how can it be possible with the band that has recorded "time waits for no one" or "can't you hear the music"...

of course there are many things that i don't like of late stones especially on record. I saw them live in 2003 and had fun and thought they have been quite smart in shifting the band's way to perform to put on a show despite age and everything. sure there's something missing and there's also too much of something else (singers, chuck, sometimes horns etc)

but here and now the sickness that i see most is not the fanatic blindness of the adorants, on the opposite i see this spreading pathology of the MT's era, that is the real religion being preached here in so many threads, "on a daily basis" as kahoosier pointed out.

It is not a matter of criticize the stones as they are far from being untouchable since they decide to give us songs like Almost hear you sigh, or always sufferring, or out of tears or...you can ad ad libitum your list or argue mine...
the astonishing is that there is people who think to be entitled to...
"REMIND EVERY FAN THAT THEY ARE STUPID DUMB F**CKS THAT MISSED OUT ON THE ONLY ERA THAT COUNTED IN THE CAREER OF THE HYPOCRITE THAT USED TO BE A SINCERE ARTIST THAT THEY ARE LSITENING TO TODAY"

i tried to argue some of their arguments pointing out that the glorious MT's era is far from being unblemished and just pure gold but it seems to be pointless to argue with those believers

i don't believe in MJ or KR, i "adore" them as a music lover but i don't post here on a daily basis to demonstrate they can do no wrong, or that they are geniuses, in fact i think that what constitute the core of the stones legacy is not their skills in playing or writing but it might just be this punk/garage attitude that tells every dude hey! i became famous just mocking some great black american singers and bluesmen, "and i know i play a bad guitar"

Date: May 3, 2005 02:27

Country Honk,

I meant that in Europe the tickets won't go on sale for another seven months. Never fear, I'm sure they'll be expensive!

Maumau,

It's true that MJ has always been in it for the money. Not suddenly after 1973. Perhaps there was less hunger thenceforth. And magic '69-73 (live) was, ofcourse, due to all of them being at their peak, not because of one vibratonic virtuoso, - but really hanging on Keith. And btw, Almost Hear You Sigh is a classic!

Posted by: davido ()
Date: May 3, 2005 05:15

There's only so much one can say about
any band, good or bad, and here at the
IORR we've covered all of that and more for
the Stones many times over...........................

That said, it's good that we don't just blindly praise
the Stones here. Constructive criticism, at any rate,
is esssential, or else we risk just being a buncha sheep
blindly following and bleeting our praise for anything/
everything they do. Would seem kinda stupid to me!

For the most part I enjoy the Stones discussions here
be it in praise of, or to rip a few well earned stripes
off them from time to time. If ya really love them yer
not afraid to speak up when you think they done wrong,
or could do better, because your concerned.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 3, 2005 06:41

Davido wrote:

"That said, it's good that we don't just blindly praise
the Stones here. Constructive criticism, at any rate,
is esssential, or else we risk just being a buncha sheep
blindly following and bleeting our praise for anything/
everything they do. Would seem kinda stupid to me!"

Amen Sir!

The Stones are great, but they have proven to be far from perfect in recent years. They need to be reminded of their downfalls, otherwise they will continue to produce sterile and generic product...in studio or live. As an artist, I speak from experience, and I'm sure the Stones themselves can handle the criticism, they've been around for over 40 years.

Date: May 3, 2005 10:08

here we go again, davido and hairball. i agree with you, in fact here and elsewhere i posted miy views of what should be the direction M&K should take not to revive the past or being up to date but to renew their creativity if there's any anymore (in terms of musicians playing or not playing with them, producer saying far toomany yeeees men, etc)

but the point on this thread is not this, it is about something different, it is about some monomaniac like Open-G whose only contribution seems to be the praising of hermajesty MT and the bashing of his favourite scapegoat, RW. I think it is quite a little contribution. Since, as i posted not being argued, MT and RW are widely not the main cause for the Stones being at their peak or at their bottom.

Now, you turn this into the argument: criticizing is a healthy thing in general and for the band

I ask you: why it is smart and healthy to praise MT like a God while at the same time being sarcastic about other people praising MJ and or KR or the stones? Well maybe there's some, but to be honest i have seen no Believer in the Church of the Glimmer Twins so fervent as the disciple of the Vibrato Messiah, and frankly i find it quite ridicolous at this Ndless point.

So, is there no other issue to criticize the stones or any of the members than this annoying record that keeps spinning? I think there's plenty of and people here is not so blind or furiously devoted to avoid those arguments

So i don't think here we are talking of constructive criticism or reminding their downfalls, here and elsewhere we are talking of one and the same thing: praise to the God, baite the Scapegoat.

I even tried to get in tune to this song pointing out that the God was there also when they played songs that, IMHO, are not at all masterpieces, and that, IMHO, MT played a main role in these failures, that is I find his specific contribution decisive... and so what about that and let's discuss in deep the golden era to find and argue about its ups and downs. But nothing, the record keeps spinning on its own and the tune is always the same

so please at least dont give this record the credit of being "criticism"

Date: May 3, 2005 11:09

So well said. But I fear this particular turntable will not stop. So, I guess it's up to us to make a great effort of will and not to listen/respond to it. It does not appear to listen to criticism, even humorous, itself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-03 19:04 by Deidre.

Posted by: LISMM63 ()
Date: May 3, 2005 11:36

I love the Stones and have since day one, for me 1963! Long Tour the Stones!!!!!

"Fuc the Rock babe, I want the Roll." (KR)

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 3, 2005 11:47

There are around half a million people who visit IORR.org every year, more during tours. If one or ten persons make personal posts about their likes or dislikes then don't worry, be happy. No need to make a big fight. Just ignore if you don't agree, and it will go away. In a stadim you see 50,000 smiling faces. You don't even care about or see those who did not come or do not smile...

Personally I think some people who miss their younger days keep telling how good something was in the past, like the price of beer back then, or how well some guitar players were in the 70's. Those days are gone.

Bjornulf
IORR.org Editor

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: May 3, 2005 12:34

'Personally I think some people who miss their younger days keep telling how good something was in the past, like the price of beer back then, or how well some guitar players were in the 70's. Those days are gone." ....like my hair line!!!!

Top answer...

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: May 3, 2005 16:25

Most hardcore in the know Stones fans take it with a pinch of salt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1439
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home