Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ron Woods solo on CYHMK MSG - HBO
Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: May 1, 2005 16:41

RW plays the first part of the solo trying to get into the feel and groove by
playing octaves watch him.Yeah he plays his single notes when he copies MT's
triple stops.He even says to himself I think I got it.

To cap off the event he raises his arms after the solo and jagger comes by
to applause his wonderful achievement.

What guitar player raises there arms after they play a solo.

Re: Ron Woods solo on CYHMK MSG - HBO
Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: May 1, 2005 16:50

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL! WWWWWOOOOOOOOOHUUUUUUUUUU!

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Posted by: tomstones ()
Date: May 1, 2005 19:15

The solo is bad. He did it better at some concerts, but most of the time even worse.

Posted by: KeithRichards ()
Date: May 1, 2005 19:20

I think especially in the case of CYHMK it's quite difficult to play a decent solo, because the solo Mick Taylor played is vital for the song.
So Woody had two possibilities - copying the solo note by note which is difficult or trying to create his own solo - and that's even more difficult, because the standards are really high in this case. I think he decided for the right thing and did overall a good job.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: May 1, 2005 20:37

oh yes

but there's more. Have you seen the movie The Agronomist by Jonathan Demme, a biopic on the life of a well known haitian journalist shot dead in 2000? Well i'm surprise that you - Open G - have not noticed the fact that Ronnie is clearly visibile while he run away from the crime scene in the first images caught by the camera after the homicide. You will notice that three men run after him and, an expert of great guitarists as you are, you sure will recognize the Thre Haitian Kings of The Vibrato, trying to get over him for his life of dissolution and pity

not to mention the real cause of the dramatic tsunami that hit Indonesia last december. People of the management of the Rolling Stones tried hard to keep this information away from the media but it has somehow leaked out that in the days before christmas 2004 Ronnie has been spotted on a beach in the Aceh province trying to get a solo out of a palm tree branch. Frustration lead him to bang his head on the shore so heavy that...

So, i think that from now on and just on this hilarious forum i will mention Ronnie Wood just as the King of Spares (because, with this kind of borderline attitude he could have killed us some many times in concert banging on our head with his guitar just to make an effective use of it for once in his life)

but he did not and spare you

i suggest you write a book on him, TKOS, i give you the title for free you can use it: "The King of Spares. Lies and mischief of Ronnie Wood or how the devil gave Robert Johnson his first guitar without stressing out the fact that he should first go to England to exterminate Wood's progenitors"

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: May 2, 2005 01:08

So let me get this right Open G...you are not complaining about the solo, but you are complaining now that Ronnie raises his arms rather than stand statue like in the Back? You are really reaching.

I would be willing to donate the funds to open a " I hate RW website," if only Open G would make a solemn oath to live up to the promise of his earlier post to "give up" and go there forever . He could take with him the other unhappy souls that cannot find anything of value on the current Stones output and blame Mr. Wood for the problem.

As for your question about who would do that, how about a happy Rock and Roll guitarist ENTERTAINING A LIVE AUDIENCE? I have seen many others get into working the the crowd, it is all part of realizing you are seeing a live performance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-02 10:57 by kahoosier.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 2, 2005 10:24

You can't judge music with a metronome in your hand and a tab book in your other. OK: a couple of bum notes here and there, but all in all I find it was a beautiful solo! Why? Don't know, it was sort of moving.

C

p.s.

He raised his arms as a response to the huge ovation he received after the end of the song. Quite normal I think.

Date: May 2, 2005 13:14

I never said I hate RW you all say that when responding.I am is commenting
on stuff I see live and listen to.

The arm gesture to me was more of its done and what a relief its over.
Why do you think Jagger did his HARP solo in between Bobby's sax solo and
Woody's solo was it to comfort all of us for the end.

You guys say wait for the 2005 tour and we will not be critical.Well what about
all the prior tours they did nothing amazing and live off their past glory of
hits.Keith and Ronnie play the same arrangements and no real improvisation unless
you consider posing and clowing around to be part of a guitarist bag of tricks.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 2, 2005 13:24

I am sorry, the majority of this board, but I find OpenG's systematic, insightful, even a bit fanatic bashing of Ronnie highly amusing. And it just getting better, I hope... We haven't seen the best yet, right? (Although the trial one was near.)

"To cap off the event he raises his arms after the solo and jagger comes by
to applause his wonderful achievement."

That's about the best piece of sarcasm I've seen in IORR!

- Doxa

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: May 2, 2005 14:07

Whether he played good or bad? ... Even though I was lucky enough to see them perform the song on two consecutive nights, I think the whole project of trying to reproduce a supposedly spontaneous jam 30+ years later a bit corny to say the least. I will probably get burned for this, but with such a back catalogue they could have picked dozens better songs and rearrange them in a suitable way, i.e. parting from the original instead of taking it literal.

When looking at Björnulfs wish list I concede it might be the fans who ask for the wrong songs. Ronnie will probably burst into sweat when he reads it!

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Date: May 2, 2005 14:13

good point - The song is two songs keith's first part and riff and Taylor's
second part.

Date: May 2, 2005 14:38

Exactly, the song consists of those two parts - and Taylor himself has underpinned this by taking his own out of of the original context; as who has seen hios solo gigs, knows that he only plays the jam part of the song.

But funny thing is that I think the weak link in the Licks performances, like the one discussed, is the 'Keith part', not the 'Taylor part'! I think the whole arrangement of Ronnie's solo and Mick's harmonica works really well, even Keith's little jamming with some licks sounds tasteful. But the beginning of the song, and mainly Keith's weak guitar and Mick's forced voice - are the bummer, and the reason I hope they will never try this song again. So sad we lost the jam..

- Doxa

Posted by: roby ()
Date: May 2, 2005 14:50

Yes, where's the mainly riff ?

Posted by: Milo Yammbag ()
Date: May 2, 2005 15:10

I thought Ronnie played the solo just fine. Not one was the same, he was improvising. He could have taken the easy way out and played MT's solo note for note ( it's not hard to play).....instead he used what MT put down as a starting point. Most of the time time the solo's came off a combination of power, grit, a flurry of notes, some nice long bended notes with a touch of raggedness thrown in. In other words...how Ron plays.

Get off this guys back...he gets treated like shit by way too many people here, like he is some kid who only knows 3 chords and plays them bad. No offense to MT, but the comparisons are total crap. If you wanna compare them, go by how many albums they each put out, songwriting ability, the ability to be part of a BAND. The styles of playing are irrelavent. IMO by the time the album IORR came out Taylors playing was becoming VERY predictable. Don't scream about "Time Waits For No One" either...it's a nice song and MT plays that blues scales very nice, with perfect intonation. Compare his solos on Goats Head and IORR. Same stuff. His only inspired work was on Sticky Fingers and Exile, IMO. Again, I am not trying to knock him, but he has been put up on a huge pedastal on this board and I think his contributions need to be looked at as a whole. Bottom line, IMO, MT was a very gifted blues guitar player who was in the right place at the right time. His work on Fingers and Exile needs no explanation, after that he went through the motions.

Woody is a very talented man, stuck in the shadows of Mick and Keith. That cannot be an easy place to be. I love KR, but is it possible that Woody is on a "leash" due to KR's fingers and inabilty to pull off leads like he used to?

Milo, NYC
Let it steal your heart away

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-02 15:19 by Milo Yammbag.

Posted by: country honk ()
Date: May 2, 2005 18:35

"To cap off the event he raises his arms after the solo and jagger comes by
to applause his wonderful achievement"

Open G: having watched Ronnie, you should have noticed that he raises his hand quite often after a song, claps, laughes and so on - that's Ronnie - always in a good mood..... he also does imitate Keith quite much, but that's how he is....

When he was brought in the band in the 70'ies - it was exactly his good mood that lifted the spirit in the band.... and made them continue playing....

They sure could have found a technically better player - without doubt - there are many around also even better than Mick T....

But then it is not sure they would have continued for as long time as now.... maybe split up after 84-85.....

Date: May 2, 2005 19:23

country honk, you finally got open-g point....
another player, a virtuoso player as there were many around in the seventies,
that got in the band in 75, a new album, entitled something like "Time waits no word" or "Dark slide of the moron" or "In the court of the vibrato king", and that's it
a farewell tour in 78
a reunion tour in 95
a farewell we swear tour in 98
a we were kid(ding) tour in 2001

Date: May 2, 2005 19:34

me myself i thank the gods of r'n'r that they recorded hot stuff, hand of fate, shattered, miss you, when the whip, beast of burden, emotional rescue, dance, let me go, start me up, hang fire, black limo, slave, pretty beat up, ...etc up to thief in the night
i won't change a nostalgic reverie for a past that "was" and a future that would have been for the reality - with all its flaws and technical mistakes - of the story of the legendary league of the rolling stones

Date: May 2, 2005 19:59

So that means everytime he raises his arm he survived on stage and another
average performance to the luckiest guy in rock and roll history.Taylor by
contrast would be the unluckiest guy in roll and roll history

Posted by: country honk ()
Date: May 2, 2005 20:20

"So that means everytime he raises his arm he survived on stage and another
average performance to the luckiest guy in rock and roll history."

If Mick T. had continued, the Stones wouldn't have been on the road anymore - the spirit was gone..... it was not a pleasure playing in the Stones anymore..... Like Bill W. has mentioned - they were low in spirit at time....

There was nobody there to lift to mood..... Mick T. didn't do it - he wanted to play another kind of music then Mick and Keith...... he wanted another musical direction...

Ronnie came and did it.... made it funny to play music again......

Then it is like in normal business - if you don't like the company, the way they are doing, the management etc.... - you find another company...... the same with Stones....

Some Girls was a good record, Tatoo You, Voodoo Lounge as well .... just to mention.....

Some Girls another style than Mick T. and highly rated by critics..... - Ronnie did a good job on that record......

Like other groups Stones in the 80'ies and sofort began to slow down the productivity - but who hasn't.....

As far as I know Mick hasn't made to many records either..... on tour he plays quite much Stones music and not too much new music......

If he had been so amasingly fantastic, a virtuoso way more tha normal.... I don't doubt he had made much more music than he has done so far.....

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: May 2, 2005 20:22

"Taylor by contrast would be the unluckiest guy in roll and roll history"

I don't think that a guy who played lead guitar for the Greatest Rock'n Roll band in its peak could be called "unlucky" at all...

Edited:
And BTW, Doxa wrote: "I am sorry, the majority of this board, but I find OpenG's systematic, insightful, even a bit fanatic bashing of Ronnie highly amusing"

Don't agree with Doxa. (Edited again).

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-02 20:27 by bruno.

Posted by: Odd-beat ()
Date: May 2, 2005 20:46

I share Milo's view on this. I have only heard the MSG version of the DVD, as well as heard it live in Montreal, and prefered the "MT part", how it was arranged and adapted. Dug Ronnie's solo in Montreal (at MSG, it sounds more so-so to me), how he weaved in and out of MT's original lines.

Posted by: Deidre ()
Date: May 2, 2005 20:56

DON'T tell us who to agree with. (Unedited).

And don't people, to a large extent, make their own 'luck'? (Without wanting to go too deep into arguments for or against Predestination/Free Will).

Taylor earned his 'good luck' by having worked damn hard at an early age and gotten noticed for his obvious talents.

RW earned his 'good luck' by being a fun guy and good social fit who could also do well enough on the guitar. If his erraticism was/is the price for keeping the band going, it's been mainly worth it. (Mick's, Keith's, Charlie's (and Bill's) bank managers think so anyway).

Date: May 2, 2005 21:00

Deidre: sorry,mate. I did mean that I myself don't agree with that comment. Of course you can agree and disagree with whoever you want.

(My english makes me these little tricks: I first thought "amusing" meant "somewhat irritant", just to find that it means "somewhat funny", so I have to edit twice)

Date: May 2, 2005 21:29

Fine. Just a language thing - you forgot to put the word 'I' in front of Don't.

I agree with you - Taylor was 'lucky'. So were the other four Stones - and so were We!

Also , I don't think he was 'unlucky' just because he decided to leave. It was a conscious decision. Etc. Etc.

And, although the court-room post was funny, more recent OpenG posts seem not to offer any knew approach to his somewhat singular theme. He has lots of positive things to say about Taylor. Fine.

Some criticism re K and R is fine too. We awnt to see them perform well - it's disappointing to us, as 'fans', not to see them perform to their potential. But too much negativity all the time - what's the point?

I happen to think that RW's HBO solo was poor. I saw one or two good ones, but mainly poor. But the song as a whole was succesful - and I agree with Doxa that the opening Keith p[art was not strong enough - especially the very opening riff.

Very hard to follow Taylor on that song. RW did the best he could, perhaps.

Perhaps, on another site, the comparison should be with how Taylor now performs that second part live, compared with how he did it in the studio. When I've seen him recently I've been slightly disappointed by his solo - but very impressed with the sharpness of his riffing. (He mainly uses that song these days to highlight the talents of the other musicians).

Date: May 2, 2005 21:47

"Recent OpenG posts seem not to offer any knew approach to his somewhat singular theme"

That's what I tried to say. I find OK that anybody can like a certain Stones era better that other, but I find unnecesary so many criticism (and I myself can be included into the "critics section"). It's OK a bit of criticism (in fact this is my favourite Stones board because of this criticism vs. praising everything despite any flaw), but I don't see why bashing Ronnie everyday and praise every fart Taylor has thrown in the last 30! years since he left the Stones... All those bashing-Ronnie-and-praising-Taylor threads are sooooo boring when posted every day...

BTW, I agree with Doxa re Keith's part in CYHMK lacking in energy (Keith seems to spend too many nights @#$%& when on tour nowadays... winking smiley )

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-02 21:53 by bruno.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 3, 2005 07:11

Most Ronnie versions on the 40 Licks were contrived, mediocre, and patheitic.

Booby Key's horn solo stole the thunder, and was the highlight of the entire song. It was magical.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-03 07:12 by Hairball.

Date: May 3, 2005 11:13

And the harmonica. Perhps Ronnie's spot should have come first and then harp and sax?!

Date: May 3, 2005 11:52

"When I've seen him recently I've been slightly disappointed by his solo - but very impressed with the sharpness of his riffing."

Exactly. I was really impressed when the first time I saw Taylor do the jam part, namely of the sharpness of his riffing (that's something you don't expect hearing from a Rolling Stone playing a Rolling Stone tune) - it was like listening to a Sticky Fingers album. But after since I've been also disappointed for his quite unisnpiring effort. He plays it a bit too autopilot way, I think.

I was also VERY impressed of Ronnie's solo in Glasgow 1st of September 2003. It was the first (and probably the last) time I hear him doing it live, and what I have heard before from the bootlegs or other people (here) that wasn't very promising. But there it worked very fine. One of the highlights of a great concert. (Hearing it afterwards in a good quality bootleg, it naturally did some damage to my very selective memory, but still I think the solo is much better the HBO one.)

- Doxa

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 3, 2005 12:02

The fact that they played the song was great. The same goes with the w a y they played it. After hearing the rumours that they rehearsed it in Toronto I thought: That does not work, Keith has to play that rhythm for 2 minutes before the jam would start, no time to clown etc. But after hearing the first audience recordings from the opening show in Boston I got shivers! Play it, play it, play it! If Ronnie gets time to jam, he can make it.

All this bitching about Ronnie sucks, really. The tours before he was barely audible and was doing less from tour to tour. Since Licks his role was more important again. AND: The HBO solo is fanfuckingtastic! Never heard him playing that strong since 1975. And then some of you go and bitch about the notes or his MT attitude! Nothing else to do? The Stones are not about single notes. I was so happy that Ronnie was back on the track. And 2 years later people start such an idiotic thread.

I´ve heard CYHMK a few times 2003 and I enjoyed every second. The climax had to be the guitar at the end.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-03 12:03 by TooTough.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1885
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home