Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: Track Talk: Paint It Black
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 3, 2016 16:42

Did anyone watch the new HBO show, Westworld (based on the movie from the 70s), that premiered last night? Well anyway, during one scene, there was a nice orchestral type instrumental of Paint It Black. I'd love to know more about it, artist, etc. I looked on IMDB but couldn't find any music info.

Date: October 4, 2016 02:38

Leo, I was just coming over here to post that. I was watching that last night. Had no idea what I was seeing at first. Then it became interesting: all the sudden the camera pulls back, and everything I've seen so far is taking place in a bowl basically.
anyway then there was the killing scene, and I was surprised; because usually there is some kind of notion when the Stones give up usage of a song.

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: October 16, 2016 14:54

I was going to post something about Westworld..glad I saw this post first. Paint it Black was a very pretty orchestral version. I was pleasantly surprised when I heard it. Westworld is very intriguing to say the least. Can't wait to watch the new episode this evening.smiling smiley

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 16, 2016 15:08

Bellajane
I was going to post something about Westworld..glad I saw this post first. Paint it Black was a very pretty orchestral version. I was pleasantly surprised when I heard it. Westworld is very intriguing to say the least. Can't wait to watch the new episode this evening.smiling smiley

[www.classicfm.com]
[www.billboard.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-16 15:11 by Deltics.

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: October 16, 2016 15:59

Cool..thanks. smileys with beer

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 9, 2016 07:08

Palace Revolution 2000
Leo, I was just coming over here to post that. I was watching that last night. Had no idea what I was seeing at first. Then it became interesting: all the sudden the camera pulls back, and everything I've seen so far is taking place in a bowl basically.
anyway then there was the killing scene, and I was surprised; because usually there is some kind of notion when the Stones give up usage of a song.

Here's the complete version, it starts out slow but kicks it up a notch a couple minutes in
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 10, 2016 17:35

The version on FLASHPOINT was decent but the version on LIVE LICKS is outstanding. Keith using a capo to change the key. It's heavier than the FLASHPOINT version.

Iconic song.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: November 10, 2016 18:52

One of their iconic songs indeed, alongside with Gimme Shelter and Sympathy.
Never heard them doing a bad version, but a lot of very good ones. Some are truly excellent, I like the Shine-A-Light-version best. The studio-versions has one of the best intros ever, it gives me goosebumps when Charlie starts.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 11, 2016 07:29

HMS
One of their iconic songs indeed, alongside with Gimme Shelter and Sympathy.
Never heard them doing a bad version, but a lot of very good ones. Some are truly excellent, I like the Shine-A-Light-version best. The studio-versions has one of the best intros ever, it gives me goosebumps when Charlie starts.

The YaYas-version is even better than Shine A Light.

Date: November 11, 2016 17:00

Nothing is good on SHINE A LIGHT anyway. It's their worst live album.

Although Paint It Black was funny on STILL LIFE.

Date: November 11, 2016 17:19

GasLightStreet

All Down The Line is good on SAL.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: November 11, 2016 20:48

1967 Paris, first song

Listen to the two guitars

Who plays the main riff (Jones?) , and who plays the kind of Chuck Berry licks (Richards?)

[www.youtube.com]

I understand in the modern version Richards and Wood have switched these parts.. Is it right?

Date: November 11, 2016 23:58

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

Nah.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 17, 2018 15:53

Paint it Black Added To Grammy Hall Of Fame

Each year the GRAMMY Hall Of Fame celebrates a class of outstanding recordings at least 25 years old that exhibit qualitative or historical significance. To continue its ongoing commitment to preserving and celebrating timeless recordings, the Recording Academy has announced the class of 2018 recordings added to the Hall.

Queen's fourth studio album, A Night At The Opera (1972), the Rolling Stones' chart-topping "Paint It Black" (1966), Johnny Cash's seminal Johnny Cash At Folsom Prison (1968), Linda Ronstadt's fifth studio album, Heart Like A Wheel (1974), Motown group the Four Tops' single "I Can't Help Myself" (1965), and Gladys Knight & The Pips' classic "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" (1967) each made the list.

[www.grammy.com]

Date: January 17, 2018 15:54

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

Nah.

Oh yes, it is.

Date: January 17, 2018 17:58

It's Mick's incredibly nasal delivery - and then the rushed parts - that make All Down The Line on SAL a nah for me.

Anyone find it weird they did Paint It Black in E for the LICKS tour?

Date: January 17, 2018 18:00

GasLightStreet
It's Mick's incredibly nasal delivery - and then the rushed parts - that make All Down The Line on SAL a nah for me.

They still do, don't they?

If memory serves, the SW/UJ was the last time they played it in Dm..

Date: January 17, 2018 18:11

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

From cruising some live videos from BRIDGES onward, it's in E. One from Mexico City 2016 is like a truck hugging a cliff with just one wheel on the road. Hamburg from 2017 Keith appears to be playing Struggle instead of PIB at times.

Date: January 17, 2018 18:17

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

From cruising some live videos from BRIDGES onward, it's in E. One from Mexico City 2016 is like a truck hugging a cliff with just one wheel on the road. Hamburg from 2017 Keith appears to be playing Struggle instead of PIB at times.

But he does that in E? winking smiley

Date: January 17, 2018 18:40

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

As happenstance, yes, both are in E. Well, Em - although Struggle is in open G. It's possibly some way for him to sneak in a solo song during a Stones show. Consider the severity of that: since at least 1997, PIB has been played in Em. Struggle is in Em.

Pretty clever. Except that it took him so long to do it. Almost 30 years.

Poor Mick can't even manage to sing a solo song title in a Stones song yet Keith managed to throw in a solo song riff in the middle of a classic Stones song.

Such brazenness. Classic Keith.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 11, 2019 14:10

Isolated electric guitar, acoustic guitar, sitar & bass guitar.

line Up:

Brian Jones - acoustic guitar & sitar
Keith Richards - electric
Bill Wyman - bass guitar

Click the pic to open the Youtube link.

smoking smiley

The Rolling Stones Monthly - May 1966

A few weeks ago Mick gave us a special preview of this rather ingenious disc, which on first hearing makes you think it´s full of Eastern promise! Throughout the record one hears a strange sound which one would associate with a snake charmer - this however, is accomplished by Brian´s expert Sitar-playing. Mick also informed us that Brian played acoustic guitar with Keith on electric and Charlie of course, on drums, plus tambourine and castanets.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-11 20:57 by His Majesty.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 11, 2019 15:31

Cristiano Radtke
Paint it Black Added To Grammy Hall Of Fame

Each year the GRAMMY Hall Of Fame celebrates a class of outstanding recordings at least 25 years old that exhibit qualitative or historical significance. To continue its ongoing commitment to preserving and celebrating timeless recordings, the Recording Academy has announced the class of 2018 recordings added to the Hall.

Queen's fourth studio album, A Night At The Opera (1972), the Rolling Stones' chart-topping "Paint It Black" (1966), Johnny Cash's seminal Johnny Cash At Folsom Prison (1968), Linda Ronstadt's fifth studio album, Heart Like A Wheel (1974), Motown group the Four Tops' single "I Can't Help Myself" (1965), and Gladys Knight & The Pips' classic "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" (1967) each made the list.

[www.grammy.com]

Well deserved. The primal power of PIB is timeless. The song is 3 minutes and 19 seconds of perfection.

Date: August 11, 2019 15:32

latebloomer

Well deserved. The primal power of PIB is timeless. The song is 3 minutes and 19 seconds of perfection.

Indeed. A great team effort by everyone involved. smoking smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 11, 2019 20:38

His Majesty
Isolated electric guitar, acoustic guitar, sitar & bass guitar.

line Up:

Brian Jones - acoustic guitar & sitar
Keith Richards - electric & acoustic guitar
Bill Wyman - bass guitar

Click the pic to open the Youtube link.

smoking smiley

The Rolling Stones Monthly - May 1966

A few weeks ago Mick gave us a special preview of this rather ingenious disc, which on first hearing makes you think it´s full of Eastern promise! Throughout the record one hears a strange sound which one would associate with a snake charmer - this however, is accomplished by Brian´s expert Sitar-playing. Mick also informed us that Brian played acoustic guitar with Keith on electric and Charlie of course, on drums, plus tambourine and castanets.

thumbs up Thanks, love this isolation version!

The entire tune itself is so unique and original...has always been in my top 10 favorite Stones tunes.

Date: August 11, 2019 20:58

I made an error in the credit, there is only one acoustic which was played by Brian. thumbs up

Keith played electric guitar and sang backing vocals on the official release.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-11 20:59 by His Majesty.

Date: August 11, 2019 21:15

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

As happenstance, yes, both are in E. Well, Em - although Struggle is in open G. It's possibly some way for him to sneak in a solo song during a Stones show. Consider the severity of that: since at least 1997, PIB has been played in Em. Struggle is in Em.

Pretty clever. Except that it took him so long to do it. Almost 30 years.

Poor Mick can't even manage to sing a solo song title in a Stones song yet Keith managed to throw in a solo song riff in the middle of a classic Stones song.

Such brazenness. Classic Keith.

haha..indeed. That's a struggle for sure. Good ear.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 13, 2019 19:43

His Majesty
I made an error in the credit, there is only one acoustic which was played by Brian. thumbs up

Keith played electric guitar and sang backing vocals on the official release.

Good that we learn from each other, not?

Mathijs

Date: August 13, 2019 20:06

Mathijs

Mathijs

Indeed.

Date: August 13, 2019 20:51

His Majesty
Mathijs

Mathijs

Indeed.

thumbs up

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: August 13, 2019 21:37

paint it black has been played superbly in the last couple of years in concert.

its one of the greatest rock songs ever,it elevated the stones emotional power into something untouchable by anyone.

its in my stones top 10 easily, which varies anyway depending on mood.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1742
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home