Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Track Talk: Pain In My Heart
Posted by: René ()
Date: October 7, 2013 12:02

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!
________________________________________________________________________________

Pain In My Heart
(Allen Toussaint)

RCA Studios, Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, US, November 2, 1964

Mick Jagger - vocals
Keith Richards - electric guitar
Charlie Watts - drums
Bill Wyman - six-string bass
Brian Jones - electric guitar
Jack Nitzsche - piano, Nitzsche-phone

Pain in my heart, treatin' me poor
Where can my baby be?
Lord, no one knows

Pain in my heart, won't let me sleep
Where can my baby be?
Lord, where is she?

And one day, my days are gettin' tough
Won't you come back, come back, come back, baby
Lord

Pain in my heart, won't let me be
Oh, oh, oh, oh, I wake up restless night in misery
Lord

Won't somebody stop this pain

Lord, one day, my days are gettin' tough
Won't you love me, love me, love me, baby, oh

Pain in my heart
Pain in my heart
Somebody stop this pain in my heart
It's killin' me baby
This pain in my heart
Oh, oh, oh, oh
Pain in my heart
This pain in my heart

Produced by Andrew Loog Oldham

First released on:
The Rolling Stones - “The Rolling Stones No. 2” LP
(Decca LK 4661) UK, January 16, 1965

Re: Track Talk: Pain In My Heart
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 7, 2013 12:21

I first heard this on the Got Live If You Want It EP and thought it worked well as a slower tempo number to contrast all the higher energy stuff. It's a good enough tune but nothing to really get the kids jumpin' in the night.

For me it demonstrates just how well the Stones could appropriate a r'n'b tune and not make it sound like it was being played by a bunch of honky cats from Dartford.

The clock was ticking down to true pop greatness with The Last Time released just one month later.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 7, 2013 12:42

Irma Thomas -- Ruler Of My Heart Minit Records 666 - 1963

Otis Redding's third single on Volt --- Volt 112 released September 1963

Otis Reddings first album --- Atco 33-161 released January 1964

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-07 13:18 by Rockman.

Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: October 7, 2013 14:04

Silver Dagger
I first heard this on the Got Live If You Want It EP and thought it worked well as a slower tempo number to contrast all the higher energy stuff. It's a good enough tune but nothing to really get the kids jumpin' in the night.

For me it demonstrates just how well the Stones could appropriate a r'n'b tune and not make it sound like it was being played by a bunch of honky cats from Dartford.

The clock was ticking down to true pop greatness with The Last Time released just one month later.
Very will said Sliver Dagger

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 7, 2013 14:10

Nothing that will set off fire alarms, but nicely done by the Stones. Of course, Otis owns it.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 7, 2013 14:14

WOW AGAIN! For me it's their second best recording behind Tell Me so Mr Redding....Stones owns this one...

smiling bouncing smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: October 7, 2013 14:44

Wonderful, deeply-blue soul music, expertly covered by our boys. If they had added some harp it would have been even more perfect.

Drew

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 7, 2013 22:10

What is a Nitzsche phone in the musician credits?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 7, 2013 22:27

DGA35
What is a Nitzsche phone in the musician credits?

Andrew Oldham talked about it:

"And then there was the nitzschephone, that mythical instrument! I made that up for the credits on those Stones albums—it was just a regular piano (or maybe an organ) miked differently. It was all part of this package that was created around the Stones. People believed it existed. The idea was meant to be: "My god, they’ve had to invent new instruments to capture this new sound they hear in their brains." And they were inventing fresh sounds with old toys—therefore, it deserved to be highlighted—it was the read-up of creation, of imagination—getting credit for a job well done. I mean you wouldn’t, for instance, have found a "nitzschephone" on a Freddie and the Dreamers record."

[www.gadflyonline.com]

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 7, 2013 22:46

René
Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!
________________________________________________________________________________

Pain In My Heart
(Allen Toussaint)

RCA Studios, Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, US, November 2, 1964

Mick Jagger - vocals
Keith Richards - electric guitar
Charlie Watts - drums
Bill Wyman - six-string bass
Brian Jones - electric guitar
Jack Nitzsche - piano, Nitzsche-phone

Where is the reference to the 'six-string bass' from?

Mathijs

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 7, 2013 22:56

Mathijs

Where is the reference to the 'six-string bass' from?

Mathijs

I have found some references about it here and here.

And here there's Bill talking about using a six-string bass:

"One thing that's quite interesting is that I play six string bass on Down Home Girl and Pain In My Heart. It gives a fantastic treble effect.

- Bill Wyman, 1965"

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 7, 2013 23:34

Actually I thought it was a bit hokey at the time. Instrumentally it's fine, but vocally a bit over the top with the young brit white boy Jagger bellowing 'like a bull negro' as they used to say. I'm sure Jagger would sound fine now doing the song, but he did attempt a few of those Otis Redding type things before he was mature enough to pull it of.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: October 8, 2013 00:15

24FPS
Actually I thought it was a bit hokey at the time. Instrumentally it's fine, but vocally a bit over the top with the young brit white boy Jagger bellowing 'like a bull negro' as they used to say. I'm sure Jagger would sound fine now doing the song, but he did attempt a few of those Otis Redding type things before he was mature enough to pull it of.

Sorry, I gotta disagree. I doubt a 2013 version would be as convincing.

Drew

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: October 8, 2013 00:15

LOVE THIS,JUST RECENTLY REDISCOVERED.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 8, 2013 02:23

drewmaster
24FPS

Sorry, I gotta disagree. I doubt a 2013 version would be as convincing.

Drew

I agree w/ your disagreement ... the original cover, as is, is top-notch. I think Mick's vocals are very strong and no way to debate the music!

This one is always on my Stones playlists when I make one from the early 60s.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: October 8, 2013 13:21

Nice track in bluesy style, and hard to sing, esp. the middle part ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-08 13:25 by RobertJohnson.

Date: October 8, 2013 13:30

The transition from the shortened ENSTL to Pain In My Heart on "Live In England 65" is awesome. Seemingly, the crowd went bananas grinning smiley

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 8, 2013 14:10

DandelionPowderman
The transition from the shortened ENSTL to Pain In My Heart on "Live In England 65" is awesome. Seemingly, the crowd went bananas grinning smiley

Yep, that descending three chord transition was a masterpiece of musical bridging. smileys with beer

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: October 8, 2013 14:19

Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman

Yep, that descending three chord transition was a masterpiece of musical bridging. smileys with beer

It is really cool, but from what I've read about those early days (like Keith saying they would play Popeye the Sailor Man without the crowd noticing) I'm wondering if the they even noticed that little transition. I would imagine the screaming girls were probably reacting to some stage move by Mick or Brian, or something else going on, and not a three chord transition.

Date: October 8, 2013 14:43

NoCode0680
Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman

It is really cool, but from what I've read about those early days (like Keith saying they would play Popeye the Sailor Man without the crowd noticing) I'm wondering if the they even noticed that little transition. I would imagine the screaming girls were probably reacting to some stage move by Mick or Brian, or something else going on, and not a three chord transition.

They probably reacted when the beat slowed down AND when Mick did something smiling smiley

Posted by: tklawson ()
Date: October 9, 2013 02:28

Like the live version from Got Live. The studio version sounds like a bunch of honky cats. Nowhere close to Otis, although I like the live version, as I said.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 10, 2013 07:02

Also like on Four Flicks Mick sings a bit of PIMH at the end of That's How Strong My Love Is.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1895
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home