Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Anyone know exactly what happened with Ahmet Ertegun at the 2006 Beacon Theatre shows?
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 3, 2013 09:51

I had never heard this story before, but I'm reading about Ahmet Ertegun and apparently the thing that really ended up putting him in bad health was falling backstage at one of the Rolling Stones Beacon Theatre shows in 2006. Says that he hit his head on the concrete and was rushed to the hospital, which sounds incredibly painful.

Does anyone know if this was at the first or second Beacon show? And if it happened before or after the Stones played? I figure they were be devastated that was he was rushed to the hospital, and especially with the pressure of Scorsese filming the whole thing I'm surprised I had never heard of this. Anyone know if the Stones have ever talked about this shaking them up at all?

Re: Anyone know exactly what happened with Ahmet Ertegun at the 2006 Beacon Theatre shows?
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 3, 2013 10:00

First Beacon ...29 October show.... accident happened just prior to show
Coma then passed away 14 December

ROCKMAN

Re: Anyone know exactly what happened with Ahmet Ertegun at the 2006 Beacon Theatre shows?
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 3, 2013 10:03

I can't believe they went on with the show. Didn't that have to devastate them? Was anything said about it onstage (since nearly all of that show wasn't included on Shine A Light)? And then the fact that they played a whole other second show knowing he was in the hospital and everything. Surprised but happy this wasn't included on Shine A Light at all. I wonder if that caused a stir backstage at all with all the filming.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: October 3, 2013 10:38

Initially he was in stable condition, and it was only later that he took a turn for the worse. At any rate, the show must go on, much the way Townshend and Daltrey took to the stage just 2 days after Entwistle died. They could have cancelled that whole tour, but that would have meant that all the roadies and vendors, and the people who drove the trucks to transport the staging and equipment, and so on, the people who were depending on it for their livelihood and financial survival, would have lost out. And with Shine A Light, there was a project to be completed, and all the people working on it under contract, the crew and the grips and gaffers and et al., were depending on the project being completed. The show must go on.

Not to sound morbid, but consider one of the positive events of rock history that unfolded as a result of Ertegun's passing. From the Ahmet Ertegun wiki page:

Led Zeppelin reunited for a one-off show in a tribute to Ahmet Ertegun at the O2 Arena in London on December 10, 2007.

The band headlined a bill that also included Paolo Nutini, Mick Jones of Foreigner, and Bill Wyman's Rhythm Kings who supported their acts, and additionally shared the stage with them. The show was held to raise money for the Ahmet Ertegun Education Fund, which pays for university scholarships in the UK, US and Turkey. The show had been scheduled to take place in November but had been postponed by two weeks because of Jimmy Page fracturing a finger.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: October 3, 2013 12:04

stonehearted
Initially he was in stable condition, and it was only later that he took a turn for the worse. At any rate, the show must go on, much the way Townshend and Daltrey took to the stage just 2 days after Entwistle died. They could have cancelled that whole tour, but that would have meant that all the roadies and vendors, and the people who drove the trucks to transport the staging and equipment, and so on, the people who were depending on it for their livelihood and financial survival, would have lost out. And with Shine A Light, there was a project to be completed, and all the people working on it under contract, the crew and the grips and gaffers and et al., were depending on the project being completed. The show must go on.

Not to sound morbid, but consider one of the positive events of rock history that unfolded as a result of Ertegun's passing. From the Ahmet Ertegun wiki page:

Led Zeppelin reunited for a one-off show in a tribute to Ahmet Ertegun at the O2 Arena in London on December 10, 2007.

The band headlined a bill that also included Paolo Nutini, Mick Jones of Foreigner, and Bill Wyman's Rhythm Kings who supported their acts, and additionally shared the stage with them. The show was held to raise money for the Ahmet Ertegun Education Fund, which pays for university scholarships in the UK, US and Turkey. The show had been scheduled to take place in November but had been postponed by two weeks because of Jimmy Page fracturing a finger.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Fully right stonehearted. In every sence.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 3, 2013 15:29

I was at the O2 show, in which Ahmet was very much an absent "presence." His widow had asked Zeppelin to do the show as a memorial and to raise money for his foundation, and they immediately agreed. I was happy that Bill's band were the house band that night, as it meant the Stones had a kind of presence there too. smiling smiley

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: October 3, 2013 16:04

...just wondering: was there a scarf hangin' around, backstage?!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-03 17:22 by RoughJusticeOnYa.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 3, 2013 16:05

RollingFreak
I can't believe they went on with the show. Didn't that have to devastate them? Was anything said about it onstage (since nearly all of that show wasn't included on Shine A Light)? And then the fact that they played a whole other second show knowing he was in the hospital and everything. Surprised but happy this wasn't included on Shine A Light at all. I wonder if that caused a stir backstage at all with all the filming.

It wasnt seen as life threatening at the time. He got worse later.

they had filming commitments so they had to go on with it - they actually postponed the second show by 24 hours due to Mick having a reoccurrence of the sore throat which had postponed the Atlantic City show (27/10) in questionable circumstances. Originally theyd actually intended to do some post production shots at the Beaon on 1st November and had hired fans to take part, but they ended up playing the show that day instead.

With respect to Ahmet, its not as if he was a close relative. Two weeks later, Mick flew home to London after the Phoenix show to say his goodbyes to his dying father - who actually passed away while Mick was en route back to the US. he got the news when he arrived in Vegas and still went onstage that evening after a 12 hour flight (or thereabouts) and delivered his usual professional performance. In many ways, his most impressive performance in the last few years!

Date: October 3, 2013 22:38

Two weeks later, Mick flew home to London after the Phoenix show to say his goodbyes to his dying father - who actually passed away while Mick was en route back to the US. he got the news when he arrived in Vegas and still went onstage that evening after a 12 hour flight (or thereabouts) and delivered his usual professional performance. In many ways, his most impressive performance in the last few years!

..... Brave Stuff ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 3, 2013 22:55

Keith was very brave too in Paris in 1976 when he went on stage right after finding out about the death of his newborn son Tara. The Stones are professionals in the tradition of the show must go on.

Posted by: Torres ()
Date: October 3, 2013 23:45

Why is it brave to go to work after the death of someone close? Is it staying at home or going for a walk or whatever less brave? People deal with that kind of pain the way they feel it's best for them, and it's nobody's business.

Posted by: RaahenTiikeri ()
Date: October 4, 2013 01:02

Why is it brave to go to work after the death of someone close? Is it staying at home or going for a walk or whatever less brave?

-everybody takes own way to deal with that kind of pain.But i think,The Stones way to to deal with pain tells something about their attitude that they got in birth.
That kind of attitude might be one reason for their longevity.

Date: October 4, 2013 01:07

..... Mick performed the show surrounded by friends somewhere
like eight hours after his dad had passed way .. still brave stuff in my book BUT like ya wrote.....it's nobody's business

ROCKMAN

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1898
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home