Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Any love for "Out of Time"?
Posted by: Nate ()
Date: January 4, 2020 15:15

ab
The Metamorphosis version is used well in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

Yes the only part of that movie worth watching.

Nate

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 4, 2020 15:58

Brilliant song, and the strings version a definite high point on Metamorphosis.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 4, 2020 16:28

Don't care for jagger's demo for Chris Farlowe, love the band version. One of my favorite Stones tracks ever. Oddly, I think Andrew's intended single edit that appeared in the States on FLOWERS works even better than the full-length cut. And for me, I want my sixties Stones in perfectly balanced stereo. The SACD Hybrids from 2002 cannot be improved upon to my ears.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: January 4, 2020 16:29

Good song on Aftermath, but a bit too long, especially to play live.
I would prefer them to play Flight 505 or I Am Waiting (it would need new arrangements to work in a stadium) or It's Not Easy or Doncha Bother, hell, this reminds me: great album, Aftermath.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: January 4, 2020 20:55

I'm a fan of the song. Discovered it around the same time as Blue Turns To Grey, also great!

Out of time
Posted by: EggersBand ()
Date: February 16, 2021 13:43

Why has rs never ever done the song live ? Elvis Costello and Many others has played it. Why not rolling Stones ?

Re: Out of time
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 16, 2021 14:14

It's not widely known enough amongst the most casual Stones fan; the Stones' target demographic concert-wise. To a British person of a certain vintage, it's more recognisable as being a chart-topper by Chris Farlowe.

Date: February 16, 2021 14:30

Yes it is very true What Big Al is telling - but This is the same about as years go by. First known by Mariann Faithfull. And Stones has played it live Many times?!

Date: February 16, 2021 14:49

EggersBand
Yes it is very true What Big Al is telling - but This is the same about as years go by. First known by Mariann Faithfull. And Stones has played it live Many times?!

Not many times, only a very few times.

Perhaps the marimba intro-theme is a bit too similar to that of UMT, and they find UMT superior?

Date: February 16, 2021 15:49

EggersBand

Well, As Tears Go By was a stateside hit for the Stones and has grown to become one of the 'better known' tracks from their 60's output in subsequent years.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 16, 2021 15:52

Has it ever been played live?

Great song.

Date: February 16, 2021 16:11

Elmo Lewis
Has it ever been played live?

Great song.

No, it hasn't.

Date: February 16, 2021 16:36

Well good points but out of time is mor connected to gimmie shelter than under my thumb . Please reply

Date: February 16, 2021 16:41

EggersBand
Well good points but out of time is mor connected to gimmie shelter than under my thumb . Please reply

Ok, I'll reply. You've lost me. Why are you bringing 'Gimme Shelter' into the conversation?

Also, how are either UMT or OOT connected to GS?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 16, 2021 16:52

The walk down - descending pattern on guitar.

Date: February 16, 2021 17:01

The atmosphere of the marimba-sound, as well as the effect of using it in the intro as the leading instrument, makes the OOT/UMT-intros similar

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 16, 2021 17:34

Yeah, it is one of those songs that I could imagine they could have done live since 1989 when they started to play more frequently some occasional 'obscure' Jagger/Richards songs from the past (say, prior "Jumpin' Jack Flash"). I mean, among such '66/67 pop era' songs as "She's A Rainbow", "2000 Light Years From Home", "Lady Jane", "Connection" or (probably most surprisingly) "She Smiled Sweetly". Or from the previous years "Heart of Stone", the mentioned "Play With Fire", "The Spider And The Fly" or "I'm Free". Surely, "Paint It Black" and "Ruby Tuesday" were/are obvious choices, as are "Let's Spend The Night Together" and probably "Under My Thumb" too (not to forget old single A -sides "The Last Time", "Get Off of My Cloud" and "19th Nervous Breakdown", all big hits at the time).

For the Stones and their fans the song probably is just a rather low profile album track from AFTERMATH or FLOWERS. And then from Klein's METAMORPHOSIS with the Farlowe backing track (released even as a single A-side if memory serves), which probably just made the band to hate the track... But I wonder if the song actually is the only Jagger/Richards original ever made number one in some major charts (as in US and UK) that was not performed by the Stones? (I don't count "Bittersweet Symphony" here grinning smiley) Funnily, such is its reputation by Chris Farlowe in UK that as there was a thread of Tina Turner's live version of it, some person in YouTube commented that it was a Chris Farlowe original, and the Stones just covered it later...

And as far as Tina's version goes, I recall reading years and years ago a review of her concert here in Finland. It was mentioned she did "Out of Time" as an encore, but it didn't go too well, because the song wasn't familiar enough for the crowd to go wild/sing-along, etc. Just a Finnish problem? (Probably now it would be different, since some 15 years ago there was a Finnish version of it that got a lot of air play at the time).

Anyway, I love the original from UK AFTERMATH - the long version, that is. It has such a Motown/Spectorian girl group feel in it; them doing a 'bad boy' version of catchy poppish R&B tune. And Brian's touch is unique and timeless.

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-16 17:44 by Doxa.

Date: February 16, 2021 17:39

Yes - eksactly - the walk Down decending in chords and the typical move of the Little finger. It is very Keith style.

Date: February 16, 2021 18:08

EggersBand
Yes - eksactly - the walk Down decending in chords and the typical move of the Little finger. It is very Keith style.

Indeed, but on the original studio version of UMT, the guitar is not really playing like that - the rhythm guitar merely supports the bass and marimba and plays licks in between.

So, the similarity with GS, guitar-wise, didn't exist until they started to play UMT live.

Today's live version of UMT is sort of a hybrid between the studio version and the latter-day live versions, with the keyboard-marimba sound.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-16 20:06 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: February 16, 2021 19:20

I think Out of Time could be a crowd pleaser. It’s easy to learn even it you haven’t heard it before due to its repeating form, the chorus is a singalong.
And I don’t understand the the reasoning about OOT and As Tears Going By versions by other artists. The casual show goer associate Beast of Burden as much with Bette Midler than the Rolling Stones maybe? And what about all the covers?
But the Stones are very careful with the setlists. Despite the fact that Midnight Rambler for decades has been the key song at shows. And who can that one a hit song?

But time is running out. Hope we will see them live again!

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: February 17, 2021 17:52

The lyrics about someone being passed by time and being out of touch are probably not something Mick wants to sing at his age. Same reason we'll never get Mother's Little Helper.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: February 17, 2021 19:16

Send It To me
The lyrics about someone being passed by time and being out of touch are probably not something Mick wants to sing at his age. Same reason we'll never get Mother's Little Helper.

You got a point there!

Date: February 17, 2021 19:22

The reason why they stopped playing MLH was that they never really managed to make it sound right (according to Charlie).

Date: February 19, 2021 18:23

Thanks for many good answers to This thread . Many good points and toughts about This iconic song. I hope that the maker of This lovely HomePage, Bjørnulf ,Can give som hints about the song before We close This item about a fantastic song that rolling Stones never have played live : out of time. Take Care -

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 19, 2021 22:00

Why bother? Most 'fans' who buy tickets now would be confused. And Mick would kill the joy by over explaining it to the audience, instead of just playing it and letting people be joyful upon recognizing it.

Besides, most 'rarities' they play now aren't that rare. They're usually well known, but haven't been played in a while.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 19, 2021 22:06

It has an appearance in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Metamorphosis version:

Out of Time - Hollywood

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 19, 2021 22:59

Played during the opening of the "Coming Home" movie as well..
Remember loving that at the time.. really fit with and added to the film.

Great movie.. also a fantastic soundtrack.
OUT OF TIME: THE BRILLIANT SOUNDTRACK OF HAL ASHBY’S “COMING HOME”

"Gradually, the first of six Rolling Stones standards picked by Ashby materializes on the soundtrack, as we cut to Capt. Bob Hyde (Bruce Dern) running along a circular track, racing the inexorable progression of time. The song, “Out of Time,” serves as the film’s anthem, linking the characters of Luke and Bob, both of whom lack a sense of belonging either at home or overseas upon returning to the states. So perfectly timed is the tune with every cut and credit—written in cursive like so much wartime correspondence—that it signals just how important music will be to everything that follows, just as the opening of “Baby Driver” did with its choreographed frolic along a circular path. “Out of Time” also plays over the end credits, where its poignance is illuminated exponentially."
[indie-outlook.com]

Tracks:
The Beatles: Hey Jude, Strawberry Fields Forever; (EMI Records Inc.)
Big Brother and the Holding Company Featuring Janis Joplin: Call On Me; (Columbia Records)
Tim Buckley: Once I Was; (Elektra Records)
Buffalo Springfield: Expecting to Fly, For What It's Worth; (Atlantic Records)
The Chambers Brothers: Time Has Come Today; (Columbia Records)
Bob Dylan: Just Like a Woman; (Columbia Records)
Aretha Franklin: Save Me; (Atlantic Recording Corporation)
Richie Havens: Follow; (M&M Records Inc.)
Jimi Hendrix: Manic Depression; (Warner Bros. Records)
Jefferson Airplane: White Rabbit; (RCA Records)
The Rolling Stones: Out of Time, No Expectations, Jumpin' Jack Flash, My Girl, Ruby Tuesday, Sympathy for the Devil (ABKCO Records Inc.)
Simon & Garfunkel: Bookends; (Columbia Records)
Steppenwolf: Born to Be Wild; (ABC Records Inc.)

Re: Track Talk: Out Of Time
Date: February 22, 2021 17:56

I Can see that sone threads from 2013 and 2019 is merged in . That is allright. Many good thoughts and remarks. But my point of view is still why it never has been played live.

Date: February 22, 2021 17:56

I Can see that sone threads from 2013 and 2019 is merged in . That is allright. Many good thoughts and remarks. But my point of view is still why it never has been played live.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 22, 2021 18:24

How many officially released versions of this are there?
Not counting soundtracks, I'm thinking three (?)

Aftermath (5:14)
Metamorphisis (3:22)
Flowers (3:41)

Not sure where this originated.. different from the three as far as I can tell though.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1882
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home