Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: OT: Your 80's Favourites
Date: October 2, 2013 10:06

I have toured with LA Guns, and honestly I didn't know much about them prior to the tour.

But I can tell you that I was amazed by how good they were (This was Tracii's "branch" with Doni Gray from Izzy and the Ju Ju Hounds on drums). They played mostly 70s style rock, and even did covers of Paint It Black, Hey Joe and Whole Lotta Love.

The production in those days (the 80s) were deceiving. Many of the bands were good, but the fashion was not.

Date: October 2, 2013 10:58

DandelionPowderman
I have toured with LA Guns, and honestly I didn't know much about them prior to the tour.

But I can tell you that I was amazed by how good they were (This was Tracii's "branch" with Doni Gray from Izzy and the Ju Ju Hounds on drums). They played mostly 70s style rock, and even did covers of Paint It Black, Hey Joe and Whole Lotta Love.

The production in those days (the 80s) were deceiving. Many of the bands were good, but the fashion was not.

yes production and record company choices made a lot of bands in the 80's and early 90's appear to be something they were not

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: October 2, 2013 11:19

As a teenager in the 80's, When i think 80's i think....

Every home had one( it seemed to me anyway)

Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: October 2, 2013 11:25

A forgotten gem of the 80s: Fun Boy Three (Terry Hall's band after the specials), especially their second LP, "Waiting". A favourite is Farmyard Connection:

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 2, 2013 18:17

60s 70s 80s some of the 90s.... I love it all (some of it all) and I will never drop any of what I loved becasue some think it is now out of fashion. I could post songs/videos of the music I loved from 60-90s in this thread until the cows come home(1000s of them)(I love youtube for easy acces to those songs) and I would bet that 82-85% of the people here would love it too (the other 15-18% of people here pretty much hate everything)... but I wont post any videos/songs in this thread because I was asked not to.

Radio used to rule and that is where I heard and picked up a lot of great music...then sometime in the mid 90s something happened, somthing bad happened. I think it was directly related to the dropping of rules regarding how many radio stations one company could own and then the (probably not a coincidence) rise of pumping and dumping country (crossed with rock)music and rap crap... thus I dont have as much music I love from the mid 90s to now... but still there is some.

Date: October 4, 2013 06:21

DandelionPowderman

tracii guns released a new album a few months ago with his new band league of gentlemen. sounds like a mix between cream, hendrix and led zeppelin with maybe a hint of faces

for great white track down psycho city if you can. its the bands best album but its out of print.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: October 4, 2013 06:48

still ill

In the States those things didn't come into play until the 2000's, and even then it was just constant TV commercials, I've yet to actually see a physical copy in person. By that time you could make your own mix CDs and illegally download music, so there wasn't much of a market.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 4, 2013 07:00

still ill

Yes, you're right. They continued into the 90's and beyond. I have a few on cassette!

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 4, 2013 09:26

slew
U2's finest decade

Agree, great live in the early to mid 80's.....lots of passion.

Date: October 4, 2013 14:45

keefriffhard4life
DandelionPowderman

tracii guns released a new album a few months ago with his new band league of gentlemen. sounds like a mix between cream, hendrix and led zeppelin with maybe a hint of faces

for great white track down psycho city if you can. its the bands best album but its out of print.

That League Of Gentlemen-album is really good. "Feathers In A Hurricane" (was that the title?) is awesome. "Sugar Mama" is almost the Foxey Lady-riff reversed thumbs up

I've been listening to raw mixes of this album, and luckily have been witnessing its progress. After Tracii got this Vegas gig (Yes, I know...), doing the Raiding The Rock Vault-thing, it seems the gentlemen have been put on hold for a while...

Date: October 4, 2013 14:47

DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
DandelionPowderman

That League Of Gentlemen-album is really good. "Feathers In A Hurricane" (was that the title?) is awesome. "Sugar Mama" is almost the Foxey Lady-riff reversed thumbs up

I've been listening to raw mixes of this album, and luckily have been witnessing its progress. After Tracii got this Vegas gig (Yes, I know...), doing the Raiding The Rock Vault-thing, it seems the gentlemen have been put on hold for a while...

yes thats the album. IMO tracii is very underrated. i always thought he was better than slash

Date: October 4, 2013 14:50

keefriffhard4life
DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
DandelionPowderman

yes thats the album. IMO tracii is very underrated. i always thought he was better than slash

He joined our band on stage for Whole Lotta Love. He is REALLY good. More so, he's fantastic!

Date: October 4, 2013 15:01

DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
DandelionPowderman

He joined our band on stage for Whole Lotta Love. He is REALLY good. More so, he's fantastic!

slash has been playing the same lick for 25 years now. tracii has done a lot of very different songs in his career. stuff that sounds country, thrash metal,punk, classic rock, alternative rock, etc.

Date: October 4, 2013 15:03

Yeah, he's very versatile, but his favourite year is 1973 smiling smiley

Date: October 4, 2013 15:09

DandelionPowderman
Yeah, he's very versatile, but his favourite year is 1973 smiling smiley

not surer if you knew this but even though l.a. guns albums have another guitar player listed usually tracii did most of the guitar work.

hard to believe this is all the same guy

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: October 4, 2013 21:12

Big Al
My own favourite from this decade are The Smiths. They were definitely, in my opinion, one of the very finest single and LP’s acts of the decade. They had an ace axe-man in Johnny Marr – someone who created musical landscapes and such colourful instrumental passages – and in Morrissey, a lyricist so out-there and the tailor-made pop-star for the NME-buying public of the 80’s.

Agreed. "Hatful of Hollow" and "The Queen is Dead" are among my all-time favorite albums. The pleasure, the privilege was mine to have seen them on their last tour. Johnny's new(ish) solo album is outstanding - he's kind of gone back to his Smiths roots soundwise.

Much respect to U2 as well. I was super-jealous of their brilliance, but couldn't help but surrender to their gorgeous music. Didn't like Joshua Tree though. As they got more popular, they moved farther away from the things that made them so unique and Irish.

P.S. Big Al, Morrissey would be absolutely appalled that you like him AND Guns 'n Roses smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-04 21:16 by Claire_M.

Date: October 4, 2013 21:35

The Replacements, EPMD, Solomon Burke's Soul Alive, PE, Lou Reed's New York, Sade, "Wishing Well", all of the Dylan stuff from Tell Tale Signs, "Smoking Gun", Eric B & Rakim, "Postcards From Paradise", Stone Roses, Big Daddy Kane, Fair Warning, a bunch of Cure, & a lot more -actually, a whole Hell of a lot more than I remember liking at the time.

Date: October 5, 2013 00:19

"Postcards from Paradise" by Flesh for Lulu?! OMG, one of the greatest singles - should have been a hit in the U.S.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-05 00:20 by Claire_M.

Date: October 5, 2013 00:36

Claire_M

Agreed. "Hatful of Hollow" and "The Queen is Dead" are among my all-time favorite albums. The pleasure, the privilege was mine to have seen them on their last tour. Johnny's new(ish) solo album is outstanding - he's kind of gone back to his Smiths roots soundwise.

P.S. Big Al, Morrissey would be absolutely appalled that you like him AND Guns 'n Roses smiling smiley

Oh, I know. Morrissey also wouldn't approve of me eating meat. The Smiths were terrific and I do like Morrissey solo, too.

Date: October 5, 2013 03:35

Claire_M
"Postcards from Paradise" by Flesh for Lulu?! OMG, one of the greatest singles - should have been a hit in the U.S.

Indeed - a perfect pop song.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: October 5, 2013 05:38

From 1983, NRBQ....

Captain Lou….

Date: October 6, 2013 17:59

Sandinista! & Combat Rock.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 6, 2013 18:15

My favourite is REM's Life's Rich Pageant, I think.

Probably 2 or 3 other REM in my top ten from that decade.

Also of course Tattoo You and Undercover...Emotional Rescue less so but still very good.

Sort of funny when you think about it, the 80s sometimes come across a bit like the Stones 'lost decade' when in fact they had 5 studio albums (Emotional Rescue, Tattoo You, Undercover, Dirty Work, Steel Wheels) a live album (Still Life), a greatest hits (Rewind), a box set (The Singles), two massive tours, Mick, Keith and Ron at LIVE AID, a lifetime achievement Grammy, Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame induction, a Mick Jagger worldwide hit single (Dancing in the Street), Two Jagger solo albums, one Keith solo album, one Bill Wyman solo album with a hit single (Je Suis Un Rock Star).

I swear that's just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are a few other things I've missed.

EDIT...Jagger also had Ruthless People from the soundtrack of same, and STATE OF SHOCK with Michael Jackson.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-06 19:05 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: October 7, 2013 00:40

Sorry Big Al but I don't remember who I liked best in the 80's? Probably because I'd just lived through the 70's and was still turned on to what the bands from that age were doing. If I recall much at all, I think maybe the 80's were a kind of southern rock era having begun in the late 70's and that's what we were in to at the time. Charlie Daniels, Marshall Tucker, Skynard etc...!

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: October 7, 2013 06:09

seitan
keefriffhard4life
seitan
There was no real rock n roll in the eighties - it was music for elevators and supermarkets - but there was no rebellion, no youthful energy, no danger - it was all nerdy conservative yuppish music for tired grandparents in their wheelchairs. Even Stones sounded like shit - steel wheelchairs. Huey Lewis & The News is a great example -clean, sterile impotent radiofriendly safe products without any edge.

Thank god for Kurt Cobain.

you must not now l.a. guns or guns n roses or great white. i doubt nerdy people and grandparents listened to them.

I was talking about rock n roll - not nursery rhymes for 12 year old kids, sorry.Honestly, the hair metal was more silly and masturbatory than anything.

I hate them. I hate all those pathetic American bands with guys looking like poodles. No Way.. I dont wanna hear any sonic dishwater like LA Guns or any other band where musicians played their hair dryers better than any of their instruments. I hate that 80's glam rock fashion. - But I guess I can understand why 12 year old nerdy kids who had no understanding of history of rock n roll, real punk rock, led zeppelin or Stones- would go for those plastic copies and fake imitators like great white or la guns. Poor Hanoi Rocks Wanna Be's and New York Dolls copy cats. bland and uninspired,

Many British bands in the 80s mix.....

Date: October 8, 2013 17:36

Brits ruled in the 80s. I still remember the hand-wringing features in Rolling Stone mag asking "what are we (Americans) doing wrong/why are they so much better..."

Date: October 8, 2013 19:48

Claire_M
Brits ruled in the 80s. I still remember the hand-wringing features in Rolling Stone mag asking "what are we (Americans) doing wrong/why are they so much better..."

This was mainly because Rolling Stone ignored/condemned Hip Hop (and Black music in general) until they had no choice. Perhaps American guitar music (I don't write "rock n roll" because most of what was going on in the 80's wasn't rock n roll) and American alternative music weren't as prominent as their British counterparts, but American musicians were the only ones creating an entirely new genre of music that has become the cornerstone of global pop music in the intervening decades.

...and, truth be told, I'd still take everything the Replacements did, Steely Dan's Gaucho, the first Violent Femmes record, VH's Fair Warning, Terence Trent D'Arby's first album, Springsteen's Nebraska (and, hell, The River & Born In The USA too) as pretty fine examples of America's contributions to "traditional" music in the 80's - as good as anything from the UK.

But yeah: Rolling Stone lamented what was going on in America because they refused to accept Hip Hop as real music (as I'm sure some still do) & failed to recognize something that was truly "New Wave".

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: October 8, 2013 19:50

The Cramps
Sonic Youth
The Pixies
Dead Kennedys
Black Flag
Ministry
Fine Young cannibals
Stay Cats
Iron Maidon
Suzy and the Banshees
Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds
Einstürzende Neubauten
T.C Matic

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-08 22:02 by runaway.

Date: October 8, 2013 19:54

runaway
The Cramps
...The Pixies

...and these guys. I'm ashamed for forgetting the Pixies. Well done, Runaway.

EDIT:
I'm truly embarrassed that I forgot Tom Waits, who made some of the greatest albums of all time during the 80's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-09 03:14 by The Ghost Of Good taste.

Date: October 10, 2013 20:40

Susanna Hoffs! Yum! tongue sticking out smiley

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1308
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home