Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223Next
Current Page: 22 of 23
Re: OT: Kinks stuff - Kinks tour and more
Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: November 30, 2018 13:27

Statement from the BFI (British Film Institute) regarding their continuing hunt for the return of 'missing presumed wiped' treasures to the archives:-

the only live tv performance of 'Days' has been found....

From the BFI Press release:
"The BFI celebrates Missing Believed Wiped (MBW)’s 25th birthday on 15 December at BFI
Southbank with a treasure of television riches. Reflecting on the initiative’s successes from the last 25 years in tracking down and screening rediscovered ‘lost’ television classics.

The 15 December event will present newly discovered material including top-quality music, comedy and variety titles as well as welcome repeats for much-requested items taking place across two sessions.

We’re thrilled to announce the premiere of the much anticipated Doctor Who animated mini-
episode based on the now lost first part of the 1968 Doctor Who story, 'The Wheel in Space',
starring Patrick Troughton. We are delighted to be joined by a number of special guests including the Indiana Jones of lost archival television Philip Morris, who will be presenting some of the rare television gems he’s recently unearthed, including missing episodes of Morecambe and Wise, Sid James’s sitcom Citizen James and children’s television favourite Basil Brush including the only
surviving live performance of The Kinks performing their hit Days.

Pop star and songwriter Vince Hill looks back over his distinguished 60+ year career in music plus we also feature a rare
performance by Aretha Franklin on British television."

A big part if this event was made possible by recoveries from TIEA and Philip Morris. Philip returned 9 BBC comedy productions to the BBC Archive a few weeks ago. They are:

The Morecambe and Wise Show - Series 1 - Episodes 5 & 7
Citizen James - The Day Out
The Rag Trade - Baby Dolls
The Basil Brush Show - Series 1 - Episode 3
Steptoe & Son - My Old Man's a Tory
Harry Worth - Four's a Crush
Harry Worth - Feet First
Harry Worth - Melancholics Anonymous

With the exception of the Steptoe & Son episode, these are the only know copies of these episodes and feature the cream of British television comedy from the 1960's including performances from Yootha Joyce, Hugh Lloyd, Sid James, Liz Fraser, Barbara Windsor and Reg Varney.

Philip Morris of TIEA will be announcing further recoveries in the New Year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-30 13:28 by Adrian-L.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: November 30, 2018 19:11

Always good to have more Lost Episodes recovered regardless of the series. It's always a treasure for someone.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: February 18, 2019 03:21

Recent Goldmine interview with Mick Avory. No current reunion plans.

[www.goldminemag.com]

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: February 18, 2019 03:36

Thanks for posting- Mick just turned 75. Doesnt sound like theres gonna be a Kinks reunion and in reality thats not neccesarily a bad thing....

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 18, 2019 08:44

roryfaninva
Thanks for posting- Mick just turned 75. Doesnt sound like theres gonna be a Kinks reunion and in reality thats not neccesarily a bad thing....

Bingo. We've all said it, they are the past the point where this would actually be a good idea. I think for most Kinks fans, its enough that Ray and Dave have patched things up, and Dave with Mick as well, and thats really how it should and probably will be left. A true rock reunion won't be what it could have been 10 years ago, and while I think an acoustic storytellers type thing with just Mick, Ray and Dave would be incredible and the way to go it just seems VERY unlikely.

I'm perfectly fine with them continuing to do their own things, as long as they have mended fences. A reunion is sadly just too far gone now. I'm afraid it would be more pathetic than good, which it really could have been up till about 2010.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: February 19, 2019 00:08

Nice interview with Mick Avory, who as he said , is the only original Kink playing in a band on a regular basis.

Had the great pleasure of meeting Mick after a Kast off Kinks gig in Epsom, and him and his wife are such nice people.

Gave him a hand to get his kit into his car and he still does a lot of gigs all year round across the U.K.

I do hope sometime soon Ray, Dave and Mick can get together on the same stage as none of these guys are getting any younger. thumbs up

Posted by: bam ()
Date: February 21, 2019 06:36

Relix interview of Dave: [relix.com].

Talking up his new material and mentioning the possibility of working with Ray on a Kinks reunion. Kind of like the way Ray promotes his albums.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-21 06:39 by bam.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: February 21, 2019 07:00

Great lineup:

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: February 21, 2019 07:29

Please remove “tour” from the thread description, every time a new post comes in here I’m wondering if it’s dates. Completely unlikely also it seems. eye rolling smiley

OT: Kinks Do "Rock and Roll Fantasy" in Hotel Room
Date: September 10, 2023 18:13

Searched but couldn't find a "Kinks Stuff" thread to stick this in- looks like 1978 judging by the presence of ex-Pretty Things keyboard player Gordon Edwards. Never seen it before, must say they sound great.

Re: OT: Kinks Do "Rock and Roll Fantasy" in Hotel Room
Posted by: perkmo ()
Date: September 10, 2023 18:53

very cool thanks!

Re: OT: Kinks Do "Rock and Roll Fantasy" in Hotel Room
Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: September 10, 2023 19:33

Love this!
Thanks for posting.

Date: September 21, 2023 20:40

Going out with a bang on their last LP- Dave absolutely killin' it-

Date: September 22, 2023 00:43

Bear with me here- I'm binging on Youtube. Out promoting "Phobia" which was a massive commercial flop but theres something really appealing about this performance. Their time was up but they still had that certain something...

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 22, 2023 18:47

Both of those performances are great.

I think, at least people in my area, largely learned about that I'm Not Like Everybody Else from the Sopranos. It was played in an episode and I remember my dad being like "is it a collaboration? Cause that sounds like Ray in the verse, but that can't be him on the chorus. He's literally never sang that way!" It was mind blowing, cause that live album (which is phenomenal) came out pretty much when they were done. As a fan I didn't even know it existed. Thats an all time Kinks performance there.

The Jay Leno one is also great. I've seen it before, and like you say, their goose was cooked but they still definitely had it. More than a lot of the times in the 80s. Why they felt that album to be like 70 minutes I don't know, but there are some killer songs on it, this being one and the live performance is a lot better. Its sad that these older guys have some great songs from later in their career but because they're "past their prime" they don't get any attention. Even from the fans themselves. I didn't know the song till I discovered it years later on YouTube.

I wish they'd gotten back together at some point, but it makes sense they broke up when they did. Ray and Dave kept that band going for 30 years, through so much turmoil, and at a certain point it makes sense you kinda just drift off into the night. At least retiring the band. Ray and Dave both did some great stuff after that. Ray's Storytellers live album and tour right after the Kinks breakup was phenomenal. The only thing missing from it was Dave, but I guess it would have been "too Kinks" at that point and its what he was trying to escape.

Date: September 24, 2023 01:58

1979..great year for The Kinks...........

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: September 26, 2023 00:07

What a brilliant voice Ray Davies has. Too bad those guys couldn't keep it together over the years. Hopefully they'll find a way to give it a go.

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: September 26, 2023 00:36

Deep Tracks just played long disco cut of "I wish I could fly (like Superman)" Brilliant rock/disco beat.

Date: September 26, 2023 14:52

For the hardcore fan, a soundboard rehearsal from Konk Studios in the 90's- essentially a long medley- where the band runs through rarities like "Uncle Son", "Have a Cuppa Tea" "Autumn Almanac" and "Muswell Hillbillies" which were not played on tour (a shame...much prefer these than hearing "Lola" or "You Really Got Me" for the umpteenth time). Bob Henrit really on top of his game.

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: September 26, 2023 19:10

Thank you for posting this! Very enjoyable for Kinks fans!

They are so criminally underrated. My first concert was seeing The kinks at The Riverside Theatre in Milwaukee, WI 1977. (Cheap Trick was the opening act) pretty cool for a 14 year old!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 28, 2023 18:00

2CD or 2LP - 17-Nov-2023 - [SuperDeluxeEdition.com] .

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: September 28, 2023 19:27

OK, I will pre order but am I the only one slightly disappointed with part 2? A lot of their late 70s/early 80s alums are out of print. I was hoping to get a remastered version of the song Low Budget. I thought Vol 2 would feature more late 70s/80s era but not the case.

Date: September 28, 2023 20:29

They re-issue so much stuff theyll probably get around to the later years before long. Interesting promo here, everybody on board except Dave..a little dated production-wise but its a good tune.

Date: September 28, 2023 20:35

I think Ray Davies is playing Mark Knopfler's 1937 14-fret National Style "O" Resonator featured on the cover of Brothers In Arms in the video for 'Do It Again'.

Even though 'Do It Again' was released before Brothers In Arms, I have to wonder if that's Mark's guitar. Yet Mark first used the guitar on 'Romeo and Juliet'.

Anytime I see a guitar that looks like that, I think of Dire Straits.

Date: September 29, 2023 16:51

Posted by: ds1984 ()
Date: September 29, 2023 20:30

MrForeverMusicFan
I think Ray Davies is playing Mark Knopfler's 1937 14-fret National Style "O" Resonator featured on the cover of Brothers In Arms in the video for 'Do It Again'.

Even though 'Do It Again' was released before Brothers In Arms, I have to wonder if that's Mark's guitar. Yet Mark first used the guitar on 'Romeo and Juliet'.

Anytime I see a guitar that looks like that, I think of Dire Straits.

The video is blocked in my country but that one is working :

Date: September 29, 2023 20:51

"I remember going into a music store on Shaftesbury Avenue when we were about to make "Lola". I said, "I want to get a really good guitar sound on this record, I want a Martin". And in the corner they had this old 1938 Dobro resonator guitar that I bought for £150. I put them together on "Lola" which is what makes that clangy sound: the combination of the Martin and the Dobro with heavy compression.

– Ray Davies[17]

Date: October 8, 2023 02:17

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 9, 2023 04:22

There's a new album by Ray Davies titled Dog Fights & Shootouts that sounds like a soundtrack for a western movie. confused smiley

[open.spotify.com]

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: December 9, 2023 08:45

Cristiano Radtke
There's a new album by Ray Davies titled Dog Fights & Shootouts that sounds like a soundtrack for a western movie. confused smiley

[open.spotify.com]

Not 'our' Ray Davies I don't think...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223Next
Current Page: 22 of 23

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1837
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home