Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 23
Re: OT: Kinks stuff - Kinks tour and more
Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: November 1, 2015 23:38

It's great to get comments from someone who was actually there all those years ago.

Cheers 6853. smileys with beer

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: November 2, 2015 00:31

yes. "been there done that".. I guess I also realize how old I am.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 2, 2015 01:40

Yeah! Very cool to read those first hand experiences! My first Kinks show was in 79 at Cobo Hall in Detroit. I was hooked from that point on! I would see them any chance I could, and luckily for me they played Michigan quite a bit. I saw them 10 times during a time when their popularity was at a high, strangely, probably the most popular in their career in the US. Low Budget was a big hit for them, and played steadily in Michigan. Destroyer was a monster for them, as was Come Dancing.... and they loved touring during those albums, and played some of their best gigs.

I would have loved to have seen them during Muswell Hillbillies/Show Time era... one of my favs.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 2, 2015 02:10

Amazing to think how many people never saw them till the mid to late 70s. And it makes complete sense cause they were always shafted in America, but its similar to the Stones to think that by that point they'd already done everything that made them legendary. Like the Stones, they soldiered on admirably for awhile, but by 75 they had already had a whole career. Everything else was just icing. Cool to see that it really paid off, cause many people that knew the Kinks from the beginning basically thought they were done by 75 and it was pointless to continue.

Date: November 2, 2015 02:51

yes. "been there done that".. I guess I also realize how old I am.

If you were 13 in that video from 1964, I was only 12 then and only gigs I been to were Tamla Motown show and Dusty Springfield show , both in 1964 with my Mum and younger sister. Great shows that I still remember .
Didn't see another 'big name' act until Led Zepp, The Who, and a few others in the London area in the 70's.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: November 2, 2015 06:18

in the concert everthing was "real" it that is wht you mean BD.
( and we boys from Hafnarfjörður are pretty visible at 2,00 minutes with our flags in 1st row. !)

I'm sure the concert itself was live, I was referring to the video.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: November 2, 2015 10:31

Going to see Dave Davies in Islington on 18th December. For the dozens of times I've seen brother Ray over the years, never seen Dave. What should I expect ? Anyone seen him in relatively recent years ?

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: November 2, 2015 14:27

paulywaul
Going to see Dave Davies in Islington on 18th December. For the dozens of times I've seen brother Ray over the years, never seen Dave. What should I expect ? Anyone seen him in relatively recent years ?

does a few acoustic songs but mainly electric set

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: November 2, 2015 15:08

paulywaul

I saw Dave last year with my daughter at Chicago City Winery. All I can say is Dave gives it what he has. It is not going to be the same Dave Davies that was out solo prior to his stroke when he was really a great act. He now has some limitations of course because of his health issues. However, he does put together a fine setlist, and if you love the material it will be fun, yet sad at the same time knowing what was once so vibrant. Dave though is a very funny guy, engages the audience, and still enjoys playing. Plus his catalogue is so impressive that you can't help but love hearing some of those songs live. There were some spontaneous tears that came to me during the show. I was always a huge Kinks fan from the early days and seeing Dave up there giving his all was emotional for me. It should be a fun gig for you paulywal. Dave still gets that signature "Dave Davies guitar sound which is very cool to hear live.

Date: November 2, 2015 15:09

Looking at recent videos and reviews, Dave really seems to love being back on stage again.

Obviously not gonna be like his younger dynamic self playing and singing, but not surprising after what he has experienced over the years,especially after the stroke.

I would pay good money to see him play but unfortunately can't make the Islington date.

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

Date: November 3, 2015 16:53

Just seen these videos of his gig Sunday night and gotta say, for a guy who had a major stroke in 2004, he is enjoying himself and loves playing in front of an audience.

They obviously love him too and I think he has improved from earlier on in the tour. Good band with him as well. thumbs up

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

OT: RAY & DAVE DAVIES were on stage together tonight!!
Posted by: Beast ()
Date: December 19, 2015 01:26

For the first time since 1996!! We saw a marvellous show by Dave Davies, who at the end announced that he had a special Christmas present for us. My heart went into my mouth as I hardly dared hope that the dream would come true at last, but IT DID!! Ray appeared & they played You Really Got Me. The place went totally berserk!! And we are beside ourselves in disbelief & surely will be for days to come. smileys with beer

Re: OT: RAY & DAVE DAVIES were on stage together tonight!!
Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 19, 2015 01:28

Was this in Albany, NY?

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: December 19, 2015 01:29

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upsmileys with beerthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

FANTASTIC NEWS BEAST!!! Congratulions on you being there! Share more!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-19 01:33 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: December 19, 2015 01:30

Albany was lucky!!

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: December 19, 2015 01:32

Their home town of London, England! In a tiny local venue. I have a few photos I'll try & post later if I can figure out how to do it.

Date: December 19, 2015 01:32

No, it was here in Islington London, where the good lady Beast and I are currently quaffing a VERY large drink to get over the shock and excitement of very briefly seeing the Kinks reunited !!
A piece of rock n' roll history !! Just magnificent !!

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: December 19, 2015 01:34

paulywaul
No, it was here in Islington London, where the good lady Beast and I are currently quaffing a VERY large drink to get over the shock and excitement of very briefly seeing the Kinks reunited !!
A piece of rock n' roll history !! Just magnificent !!

thumbs upthumbs upsmileys with beerthumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: Plink ()
Date: December 19, 2015 01:36

AMAZING!!! How lucky you both were!!! Ive got goosebumps just imagining it smiling bouncing smiley

Date: December 19, 2015 01:40

YOU'VE got goosebumps ??? Jeez, spare a thought for us !!!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 19, 2015 02:13

Woulda loved to attend that show.. here's a pic from Twitter..

[twitter.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 19, 2015 02:26

Miraculous! smileys with beer

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 19, 2015 03:00

RipThisBone
thumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upsmileys with beerthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

FANTASTIC NEWS BEAST!!! Congratulions on you being there! Share more!

Yes!!!smileys with beer

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: December 19, 2015 03:09

Lord, that twitter pic alone made my day! Here's hoping...

Date: December 19, 2015 03:17

You shoulda been there, the place went NUTS ... absolutely nuts !! We got so excited that we had to adjourn for a major glass of wine afterwards. As a consequence, I missed my last train home to SW London. I am currently on the 'night bus' with a load of London's Friday night drunks ... all trying to get to west or southwest London !! It was WORTH IT though !!

Date: December 19, 2015 03:28

Trying to find video... cool smiley

[twitter.com]

Posted by: Borncrosseyed ()
Date: December 19, 2015 03:40

video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: Plink ()
Date: December 19, 2015 03:50

^^^
WOOO-HOOO!!! I was doing some serious chair dancin' & fist pumpin' watching that vid on my computer - fantastic! OH YEAAAHHHH! Thanks for posting smileys with beer

Date: December 19, 2015 04:02

Firking hell ... about three and a half hours after it finished, I'm FINALLY at home !! What a joy it was to see both Davies brothers up there together, even if it was all way too short !!

Date: December 19, 2015 04:39

Borncrosseyed
video: [youtu.be]
thumbs up

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 23

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1611
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home