Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 23
Re: OT: Ray Hints Kast-Offs Will Be in Reunion
Posted by: bam ()
Date: November 19, 2013 03:44

The Kast Off Kinks are booked through much of 2014.

[kastoffkinks.co.uk]

Re: OT: Ray Hints Kast-Offs Will Be in Reunion
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 19, 2013 03:50

^ That means that on some Saturday in 2014, Ray will join them onstage for a number or two, drop a "hint" about The Kinks reforming for a tour in 2015, then sprint from the stage and bolt out the door.

Re: OT: Dave Says Chances Are 50/50 For A Kinks Tour In 2014
Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: January 1, 2014 10:55

Date: January 1, 2014 11:27

Blah, blah, blah....

That means nothing's happening.

Instead of all the press Ray--and Dave--get for merely talking about the possibility of doing something, how about just waiting to mention about when they actually do something?

Do you realize that in all this time about the Davies brothers talking about a reunion tour--7 years or so--the Who actually managed to do a farewell tour and a reunion farewell tour part 2 (1982 and 1989) without even actually recording new material (though they did record 2 tracks as the Who on Pete's 1989 Iron Man album).

Either do the damn thing already, or shut the F%$#Davies up!

OT: Kinks in talks to reunite for 2014 tour
Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: January 3, 2014 19:16

The Kinks are in talks to reunite for a 2014 tour. After years of discord, Ray and Dave Davies finally seem ready to reform the band – albeit under very different terms.

"I was talking to my brother about two weeks ago," Ray said this week on BBC Breakfast television show. "We've negotiated. In sporting terms, [Dave is] talking to his agent."

This is a vast improvement on the last round of speculation, in 2011, about a Kinks reunion. At that time, although both brothers seemed open to a musical comeback, they were barely willing to sit down together. "Ray is a vain, egocentric, narcissistic arsehole," Dave told the Independent.

However, even the current rapprochement is not without disagreement. Ray is only interested "as long as there's something new to go forward with, rather than stay in the past". Dave, meanwhile, said last week: "I can't face the concept of days and days in the studio with Ray. I just can't do it."

In an interview with Rolling Stone, Dave laid out the problematic pattern in his relationship with his brother. The pair apparently met on three separate occasions this summer. "The first two meetings were great," Dave said. "We talked about the old days and maybe doing something next year. I thought to myself, 'Oh shit, maybe we could do something before we fall down dead.'" But at their last meeting, before Dave left for a US press tour, he said: "[Ray] was so negative, grumpy and just mean. It was like he fell into a black hole. He didn't want me to come back to America. I think it's because I'm happy and I was doing something without his approval. I feel like he was miserable because I'm happy. He's a really troubled man."

Still, Dave put the odds of a 50th-anniversary reunion at a more-than-respectable "50/50". "The ball," he declared, "is very much in Ray's court."

Dave's sixth solo album, I Will Be Me, is out now. He will launch a five-date US tour on 12 November.

Re: OT: Kinks in talks to reunite for 2014 tour
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 3, 2014 19:19

Cool, thanks. Aside from a Kinks tour, I would love to see at least one of them. Hoping Dave's tour will be near me.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 3, 2014 19:28

One of my first real 'rock' shows...I saw them twice in the 80s, first time for their 'Come Dancing' tour I think in '83.

I recall them doing 'Destroyer' on SNL a couple of years before; fantastic!

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 3, 2014 19:28

Ray wasn't on BBC breakfast this week, it was in October last year.
[www.bbc.co.uk]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: January 3, 2014 19:35

A Kinks reunion, so that means the Sixties line-up?
To see Ray and Dave together will be great.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: January 3, 2014 21:11

Date: January 3, 2014 21:29

i would love to see them do something again

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 3, 2014 23:35

How would it work at this point? Hire some crack musicians to actually play the music? A line of sequined backup singers? These guys haven't played together forever. If Keith sounds like he barely picked up his guitar for 5 years, what must these farts sound like by now? I don't think they're big enough, or remembered enough, to sell out even mid-size 10,000 seaters. Why don't they just leave people to their good memories?

Date: January 3, 2014 23:43

runaway
A Kinks reunion, so that means the Sixties line-up?

Pete Quaife died in 2010.

Posted by: Floorbird ()
Date: January 3, 2014 23:52

Back in 2004 Dave suffered a stroke, I hope he is back to normal and is able to play guitar.

Date: January 4, 2014 03:49

The February 2014 issue of Uncut has the Kinks on the cover

plus they talked to the three surviving original members.

Interview excerpts at: [www.uncut.co.uk]

Here's an interview with Dave from a show called On The Edge (hosted by Chrissie Blaze).

Dave posted the following message on his Facebook page on January 3: "Me and my girlfriend had a nice vegetarian curry with my Ray and his girlfriend the other night. We had a lovely evening-It was a wonderful way to kick off a new year! Happy 2014 everyone. Love, Dave".

Posted by: ab ()
Date: January 6, 2014 12:04

Dave seems like quite the whiner. Either get on with it or zip the cakehole!

Date: January 6, 2014 12:13

[www.dagbladet.no]

The chances for a reunion is better than ever... for the umpteenth time smiling smiley

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: January 6, 2014 19:15

from Dave's FB page "Me and my girlfriend had a nice vegetarian curry with my brother Ray and his girlfriend the other night. We had a lovely evening-It was a wonderful way to kick off a new year! Happy 2014 everyone"

That's promising!

Posted by: geoffc ()
Date: January 6, 2014 19:41

Saw Ray on Sky Arts last night. He confirmed that he was talking to Dave about a tour, which sounds hopeful. The most surprising thing was his hair, which now appears to have turned orange! Not a good look.

OT: "Ray Davies says Kinks Reunion 'as close as it's ever been'"
Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: January 16, 2014 22:26

I know this comes up every year but this actually looks promising.

[www.spin.com]

OT: Anyone have the 1994 version of The Kinks' "To The Bone" live album?
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 14, 2013 02:41

Kind of a weird question, but the Kinks thread here inspired me to listen to some Kinks material, as I probably haven't in about 2 years or so. Anyway, was listening to their really great 90s live album To The Bone, which I believe is horribly underrated, and actually just underknown (I didn't know about it until The Sopranos used the version of I'm Not Like Everybody Else from there). Really great versions of their best hit and just an all around good collection of live/acoustic tracks from them.

Reading through Wikipedia and apparently it was released as a single album in 1994 and then re-released as a double album in 1996. The 1994 was essentially just disc one of the 1996 album, but also included Autumn Almanac and Waterloo Sunset. Apparently those two were kept off the 96 reissue and I was wondering if anyone had a copy of those two songs? I'd love to hear what they sound like, as if they are anything like the rest of the live album I am sure they are great, and it would just be nice to have the complete collection of this album. I have tried looking for a torrent of it but it seems the 96 version is the more widely known copy. Anyone heard of these two bonus tracks or have the 94 version of the CD? I believe this version was only released in the UK, but I'd love to get a copy of these if anyone had them.

Otherwise, I do encourage Kinks fans to check out this album if you haven't already. So many standouts from Do It Again to a phenomenal electric version of Set Me Free, as well as killer versions of Don't Forget To Dance and Come Dancing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-14 02:52 by RollingFreak.

Re: OT: Anyone have the 1994 version of The Kink's "To The Bone" live album?
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 14, 2013 02:49

The Kink's confused smiley smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-14 02:50 by Koen.

Re: OT: Anyone have the 1994 version of The Kink's "To The Bone" live album?
Date: October 14, 2013 02:52

Koen
The Kink's confused smiley smoking smiley
My bad! Typing fast and messed up the name LOL.

Re: OT: Anyone have the 1994 version of The Kinks' "To The Bone" live album?
Date: October 14, 2013 03:07

no i just have the 2 cd set

Date: October 14, 2013 03:26

If you're willing to pony up $45 to $50, there are a couple of copies at this eBay link: [www.ebay.com]

That's the trouble with such a rarity, where so few copies are in circulation. If only the album had sold well back in the day, prices wouldn't be so steep.

For instance, through Amazon, new factory-sealed copies of the original 2-CD run between $155 and $170.

One seller ships from the UK a brand-new factory sealed version for a mere $3,773.27 (plus $3.99 for shipping). We have to assume that this would be for the holy grail 1994 edition.

This link has vinyl version for sale from $111: [www.discogs.com]

I don't know about the "Download" button from that link, though. When I tried it, the computer security system warned that I was being taken to a "risky" site.

This appears to be the 1994 Konk Studios version of Waterloo Sunset.

Here's the tracklisting and track recording info for the UK 1994 version:

Tracks:

1. All Day And All Of The Night live, stereo mix, recorded 25 Mar, 1994 at Guildhall, Portsmouth, Hampshire, England
2. Apeman live, stereo mix, recorded 11 Apr, 1994 at Konk Studios, Hornsey, London
3. Tired Of Waiting For You live, stereo mix, recorded 11 Apr, 1994 at Konk Studios, Hornsey, London
4. See My Friends live, stereo mix, recorded 11 Apr, 1994 at Konk Studios, Hornsey, London
5. Death Of A Clown live, stereo mix, recorded 11 Apr, 1994 at Konk Studios, Hornsey, London
6. Waterloo Sunset stereo mix, recorded Apr 1994 at Konk Studios, Hornsey, London
7. Muswell Hillbilly live, stereo mix, recorded 11 Apr, 1994 at Konk Studios, Hornsey, London
8. Better Things stereo mix, recorded Apr 1994 at Konk Studios, Hornsey, London
9. Don't Forget To Dance stereo mix, recorded Apr 1994 at Konk Studios, Hornsey, London
10. Autumn Almanac live, stereo mix, recorded 25 Mar, 1994 at Guildhall, Portsmouth, Hampshire, England
11. Sunny Afternoon live, stereo mix, recorded 25 Mar, 1994 at Guildhall, Portsmouth, Hampshire, England
12. Dedicated Follower Of Fashion live, stereo mix, recorded 25 Mar, 1994 at Guildhall, Portsmouth, Hampshire, England
13. You Really Got Me live, stereo mix, recorded 12 Aug, 1993 at Mann Music Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Info from: [www.kindakinks.net]

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 14, 2013 04:09

I am sorry I do have a copy, but it is unopened with the original sticker on it, so it is going to stay that way. I will ask around to a few of my Kink buddies to see if they have the songs in MP3.

Date: October 14, 2013 04:39

whitem8
I am sorry I do have a copy, but it is unopened with the original sticker on it, so it is going to stay that way. I will ask around to a few of my Kink buddies to see if they have the songs in MP3.
Its ok. I appreciate the feedback. Guess I'm pretty lucky to have the 2 disc To The Bone. Didn't know it was so rare. If it was a totally different CD, I'd pay the $50 or so, but its not really worth that much just for two songs, Waterloo Sunset of which I have other live versions of. Just figured I'd try to complete the set.

Again, appreciate the interest from people. Seems like its a pretty lost cause. Thanks for the Waterloo youtube though! Might go ahead and rip that so now I'm just missing Autumn lol!

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 14, 2013 04:55

Bought the 2 CD set when it came out. Not a huge Kinks fan but several songs I liked. Always liked Come Dancing and a beautiful version of Don't Forget To Dance.

Posted by: ifyacantrockme ()
Date: October 14, 2013 05:28

I have it. When I used to work at a music store it was a promo and I didn't listen to it for at least 5-7 years later. Then, I pulled it out and it wasn't bad at all. I always thought the Kinks were better on the stage than in the studio.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 14, 2013 06:06

To the Bone is an amazing collection. Oh to have been at that show. Done at Konk for their fan club. Mixed in are some live arena songs added to the double disc set to try to sell it. And two fantastic studio songs better than most their stuff from Think Visual on (Hatred and Scattered, two great songs). They are playing with a laid back passion that just shines, and extols the beauty of Ray and Dave together. Ray's in fantastic vocal shape, plays some great rhythm guitar. Dave plays tasteful beautiful fills. Several songs rival their originals. In fact Do You Remember Walter I like far better than the original! The slowed pace makes it so sad and longing. The version of Ape Man is stunning. So energetic and urgent. But man, Animal and especially To the Bone give a glimpse of what could of and should have been. To the Bone is chillingly sublime. Ray has so much venom and angst in his voice. The poor Kinks always seem to get ignored, and this went totally under the radar. I remember seeing Ray at Wolftrap in Virginia and he was selling this disc in the lobby area. Seeing Ray a second time at the same venue, after having listened to Too the Bone over and over I was saddened that he wasn't with Dave. It is a shame their relationship is so pathological, and always thought it would have been beautiful if just the two of them toured together. . . alas never to happen, and I would be surprised if they do get back together. Slim chance there. But I hope.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 23

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2292
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home