Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...141142143144145146147148149150151...LastNext
Current Page: 146 of 223
Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 14, 2019 18:11

IMHO, Paul's Post-Beatles Top 10 - no particular order (or place to go)

1. Let Me Roll It - A nod to John and rolling one

2. Hi, Hi, Hi - see above

3. I've Had Enough - Nice rocker

4. Maybe I'm Amazed - Duh, maybe the best of the lot

5. Uncle Albert - Weird in a good way

6. This One - Paul is the best at this type of ....

7. Silly Love Songs - the bass line is awesome

8. Off The Ground - Happy, melodic rocker

9. New - Sounds like Paul aping Cheap Trick aping The Beatles with a Beach Boys ending

10. Coming Up - I just like this one

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 14, 2019 19:01

Paul had some great songs in his solo career, although I always thought most still really paled in comparison to his Beatles work. Whereas I thought John had an incredible solo career (controversial opinion I think). Paul still has at least 10 songs I love though:

1. Maybe I'm Amazed
2. Every Night
3. Junior's Farm
4. Hi, Hi, Hi
5. Soily
6. Venus and Mars/Rock Show
7. Smile Away
8. Too Many People
9. Helen Wheels
10. Let Me Roll It

Some other great songs though as well. The Mess, Junk, The Back Seat Of My Car, No Words, Letting Go, Beware My Love. A few latter era stuff isn't bad. Overall, to me McCartney's solo career could be boiled down to the Band on the Run album and then another album that collects all the other good stuff. But also, the stuff he did so young and for so long with the Beatles I can't blame him if the flame got dimmer by the time he went solo. You can only be perfect for so long. I enjoy that McCartney album now, but when I first heard it I was like "what a cocktease to make a shit album and then wrap it all up with Maybe I'm Amazed. Maybe the best song you've ever written." That song was head and shoulders above the rest of that record so I feel like it made his decline in songwriting quality even more noticeable post Beatles. It felt like a different era. But I do like that album now.

Date: November 14, 2019 19:53

Yes, Letting Go and Beware My Love are excellent. As is Girlfriend (great vocal).

Also a couple of more from that Wings era sang by Jimmy - Medicine Jar and Wino Junko.

Date: November 14, 2019 19:54

Coming Up should be on an ED commercial. drinking smiley

Re: Stones vs. Beatles - Beatles could never do this, Stones could never do that
Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: November 14, 2019 20:52

Witness
georgie48
bleedingman
Hairball
Swayed1967
Hairball

Pete Townshend is another great songwriter, and while the Who might not be up there with the Beatles, they certainly are in the same league as the Stones - some would say a notch above.

Would you say the Who is a notch above? Or are you just trolling?

No trolling from me, just some food for thought. Having been on some Who forums the last year or so, many think they are the greatest - even above the Beatles.
Personally I wouldn't say they're above the Stones overall, but if I were to look at certain songs and/or certain albums individually and make comparisons, Pete Townshend definitely ranks up there as an equal if not better.

The Stones seemed to think the same thing, at least regarding their respective performances in Rock And Roll Circus. "A Quick One" is a brilliant song, brilliantly performed. That said, I think the Stones were too hard on themselves. The Who though...

If .... there would not have been the Rolling Stones ... I would very likely have become a fan of the Who. I have most of their music and they are truly a great band. However, since the Rolling Stones were there (ans still are, lucky me) the Who eventually became second, but well behind the Stones being a unique bunch.

By the way, there is nothing wrong about Who fans thinking their band are the best, so do Beatles fans, U2 fans, Queen fans and so on. Problem for all of them of course is that the Rolling Stones are the greatest of all ... cool smiley
Don't shoot me ...
smileys with beer

I seem to remember my thinking during a certain period in the '60s when I was gradually arriving at fanship with the Rolling Stones that if there was a rival group to the Stones, it was not the Beatles and none of the other mentionned groups or bands and neither the Kinks, but rather the Animals in case. ( And I was one who earlier on started out, still some time yet without my own recordplayer, liking the Beatles better than the Stones, despite certain Stones songs, without yet having become fan of any.)

I agree with you, Witness. The Beatles were not rivals of The Rolling Stones. We (then) youngsters were manipulated by the, still relatively primitive, media. They managed to create a black or white situation and many were eating it like puddings.
Personally I had heard several Beatles songs before Not Fade Away came into my life. The attention for the Beatles music was too often suppressed by discussions on who was more handsome, Paul or John ... hysteria. Anyway, I was not at all impressed by their songs.
If you want to name it "competition" in the 64/65 period, yes the Animals, but also the Yardbirds, the Pretty Things, Fleetwood Mac and Van Morrison's Them were more in line.
What struck me with the Stones was that their songs were clearly radiating perfectly balanced team work with an amazing rhythm section. None of the other bands came close, except for some stand-alone songs by Fleetwood Mac. Eric Burdon and Van Morrison had great voices, but their instrumentalists couldn't come close to what Mick's men were capable of.
Sorry to say, the Beatles were merely a vocal band and didn't come close instrumentally in those first few years. Having said that, they developed into a very creative and innovative studio band and as such well deserved their place in musical history!
smileys with beer

Date: November 14, 2019 20:54

Better add Listen To What The Man Said.

That trio of Band, Venus, and Speed of Sound was really his post-1970 peak.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 14, 2019 23:50

Never really thought about making a Paul solo top 10 list, but Band on the Run title track would definitely be on there.
I'd also squeeze Just Another Day in there, along with.
My Love
Jet
Maybe I'm Amazed
Uncle Albert
Live and Let Die
Too Many People
Let Em' In
Bluebird

Honorable mention:

Listen to What the Man Said
Mull of Kintyre
With a Little Luck
Coming Up

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 15, 2019 00:40

:RollingFreak
To me, the Beatles never made anything as good as Let It Bleed or Sticky Fingers.

Rollingfreak ….. ya cant help but like the boy …….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: November 15, 2019 03:38

Rockman
To me, the Beatles never made anything as good as Let It Bleed or Sticky Fingers.

Rollingfreak ….. ya cant help but like the boy …….

But sometimes you really fancy some smashed avo on toast with your soy latte, and other times you would kill for a pint of guiness. Very different, but (to some) absolutely awesome choices. Neither excludes the other.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: November 15, 2019 04:27

Love Lennon's 'Lost Weekend' Period.

[www.cdjapan.co.jp]
Pussy Cats 45th Anniversary Edition [Blu-spec CD2] [Limited Release] [Cardboard Sleeve (mini LP)]

Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: November 15, 2019 04:31

An interesting thing about Macca's recorded output since the Beatles broke up: no other ex-Beatle has sounded more like the Beatles.

You hear it in the musical arrangements and particularly with the sound of the guitars, beginning with Maybe I'm Mayonnaise, which sounds like it could have been on Abbey Road if recorded a few months earlier.

Lennon completely stripped everything down and started over for that first Plastic Ono Band album, and never seemed to look back -- at least not until Double Fantasy.

George, despite the signature slide guitar, for All Things Must Pass has more the vibe of something The Band might have put out.

But Paul is always recreating that Beatles full-band sound; for Paul it's been Abbey Road forever, with almost everything he's released sounding either like an Abbey Road outtake or a prototype for Abbey Road revisited, and Maybe I'm Mayonnaise is the start of this.

Date: November 15, 2019 05:13

"Maybe I'm Mayonnaise" grinning smiley

Paul's response to Mean Mr. Mustard?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-15 05:14 by Hairball.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 15, 2019 06:04

1985 is a pretty good song. I saw him do it a few years ago & it was a show highlight.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: November 15, 2019 06:31

stone66
Lennon completely stripped everything down and started over for that first Plastic Ono Band album, and never seemed to look back -- at least not until Double Fantasy.

Very true. There is a lesser-known song of John's (from Mind Games) where he musically harks back to one of Paul's Beatle tunes (the beginning riff and throughout - you can listen below)...and he even mentions two other Beatles songs written by Paul.

Some claim the song was about his troubles with Yoko at the time, but with all those references, I always felt it was about Paul.

[youtu.be]

Date: November 15, 2019 07:08

But sometimes you really fancy some smashed avo on toast with your soy latte,

I'm a five ancient grain with fresh fruit breakfast guy meself …..

Avocado is such a soft gentle.. vitamin giving fruit...
Why they have to give it such a violent serving name gets me ….
"SMASHED" …. as if ya gotta get it before it rears-up off the plate and attacks ya …… ……

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: November 15, 2019 07:27

Compilation album by the artists who inherited BeatleDNA.

1. Utopia/I Just Want To Touch You
2. Pilot/Magic
3. Eric Carmen/Never Gonna Fall In Love Again
4. Elvis Costello/Veronica
5. 10cc/The Things We Do For Love
6. Electric Light Orchestra/One Summer Dream
7. Billy Joel/Laura
8. The Knack/My Sharona
9. Raspberries/Go All the Way
10. Tears For Fears/Sowing The Seeds Of Love
11. Todd Rundgren/I Saw the Light
12. Cheap Trick/Voices
13. Gilbert O'Sullivan/Alone Again(Naturally)
14. The Alan Parsons Project/Time
15. Badfinger/Know One Knows
16. Roy Wood/Dear Elaine
17. Stackridge/Fundamentally Yours
18. Klaatu/Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft
19. Freiheit/Keeping The Dream Alive
20. The Rutles/Cheese and Onions

1. Brad Jones/The Blunderbuss
2. Owsley/Coming Up Roses
3. Cotton Mather/Camp Hill Rail Operator
4. Fool’s Garden/Northern Town
5. Mike Viola/When I Hold You In My Arms
6. L.E.O./Goodbye Innocence
7. Jellyfish/Joining A Fan Club
8. Imperial Drag/Boy or A Girl
9. The Nines/Insanity
10. Bleu/Could be Worse
11. Pugwash/Anchor
12. Ben Folds/Zak And Sara
13. Butch Walker/The Taste Of Red
14. Tim Christensen/Wonder of Wonders
15. The Misties/That Is Not What Friends Are For
16. The Merrymakers/Monument Of Me
17. The Spongetones/Always Carry On
18. The Lightning Seeds/Three Lions
19. Sondre Lerche/You Know So Well
20. Kula Shaker/Shower Your Love
21. Oasis/Don’t Look Back In Anger

Date: November 15, 2019 07:46

Heck …. definitely for guys with pink bedrooms …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: November 15, 2019 10:40

Toru A

Compilation album by the artists who inherited BeatleDNA.

20. The Rutles/Cheese and Onions

The Rutles album was totally brilliant. Equally wonderful was "The HeeBeeGeeBees".

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: November 15, 2019 15:34

12. Cheap Trick/Voices

Cheap Trick (a great band) pretty much owes their whole career to the Beatles. That is not meant as a putdown.

Their live version of the whole Sgt. Pepper's album is spot on amazing. To quote Bono, "Even better than the real thing."

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 15, 2019 16:38

Rockman

The Stones never made anything as good as SGT PEPPERS or ABBEY ROAD.

The Stones and Beatles never made anything as good as LED ZEPPELIN 2 and PHYSICAL GRAFFITI.

Led Zeppelin, The Stones and Beatles never made anything as good as AC/DC/s POWERAGE and BACK IN BLACK.

AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, the Stones and Beatles never made anything as good as DARK SIDE OF THE MOON and THE WALL.

Mandarins are a small orange. Grapefruit doesn't exist in nature. Bananas, avocado, gooseberry and watermelon are related as they are all berries.

If one can't hear how great some of The Beatles' albums are... there's something wrong with them.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 15, 2019 16:59

Cheap Trick! Love those guys. Still kickin' too!

Date: November 15, 2019 17:59

Elmo Lewis
12. Cheap Trick/Voices

Cheap Trick (a great band) pretty much owes their whole career to the Beatles. That is not meant as a putdown.

Their live version of the whole Sgt. Pepper's album is spot on amazing. To quote Bono, "Even better than the real thing."

Yes a great band, and while I know they're huge Beatles fans and obviously have been influenced by them, can't really say they "pretty much owes their whole career to the Beatles".
Starting in 1977, their catalogue is filled with variety and greatness.

The Sgt Pepper album came out in 2009, and no...it's nowhere near better than the real thing!

Date: November 15, 2019 18:08

Among other CT influences would have to be The Move (California Man was their song) and The Who (Scent Of A Woman).

I like Robin's voice over either George'a or Ringo's and he does a pretty mean Paul. Almost a carbon copy of John. Ric calls him the man of 1000 voices.

Date: November 15, 2019 18:28

I was going to mention California Man Elmo - such a great tune, and I actually thought it was one of their originals for many years.
It was an anthem for many of us here in SoCal when it came out in the summer '78!

Also, I'm sure you know, but Rick Nielsen and Bun E. Carlos originally backed Lennon on a couple of Double Fantasy tunes, but unfortunately they didn't make the final cut.
Eventually released on a Lennon compilation, the version of I'm Losing You is a bit rockier and many say perhaps even better than the official version.John Lennon - I'm Losing You

Cheap Trick eventually did a great/intense version of it themselves: Cheap Trick - I'm Losing You

Date: November 15, 2019 19:52

Cool stuff, Hairball. Thanks

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: November 15, 2019 21:13

After the Beatles couldn’t manage it, Paul made 2 songs among many dreadful ones that I am so lucky to never hear. Uncle Albert and Let Em In.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: November 15, 2019 21:34

GasLightStreet
Rockman

The Stones and Beatles never made anything as good as LED ZEPPELIN 2 and PHYSICAL GRAFFITI.

Led Zeppelin, The Stones and Beatles never made anything as good as AC/DC/s POWERAGE and BACK IN BLACK.

AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, the Stones and Beatles never made anything as good as DARK SIDE OF THE MOON and THE WALL.

Mandarins are a small orange. Grapefruit doesn't exist in nature. Bananas, avocado, gooseberry and watermelon are related as they are all berries.

If one can't hear how great some of The Beatles' albums are... there's something wrong with them.

Good lord. I don't know where to begin with this...so many ridiculous statements. I'll tell myself it's trolling so that I don't need Advil. I'll just let it stand alone that ACDC has no place on that list of bands, effective as they've been at adding ambience to bar rooms for decades.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-03 18:58 by floodonthepage.

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: November 15, 2019 22:02

Apologize in advance if these are moronic q's. I know very little about how the Beatles recorded but was hoping some mop-top beatle maniac could help me with the following:

--There are a number of things marked 'Take 1" on the 3 recent 50th anniv releases. all are interesting, some extraordinary. I'm assuming that "Take 1" means that a certain amount of prep work has already been done on the tune and that it does not represent literally the first time the band has tried something. Is this true?

--Is a "home demo" usually less developed and rawer than a "studio demo"?

--Where does a "rehearsal" fall along the spectrum? More developed than a demo but less than what you'd hear in a Take 1?

--Once something moves into "Takes," does it ever get pulled out of the realm of "takes" and back into "rehearsal"-dom? Or once it starts with Take 1, every subsequent time they play it becomes another Take?

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 15, 2019 22:17

Seems like it was largely taken out of context. I was saying that I prefer Let It Bleed and Sticky Fingers as full rock albums to any full album by the Beatles. Sure its apples and oranges, but just saying they're both great in their own special ways.

Date: November 16, 2019 00:19

I'd still take Satanic over Peppers anyday …
Okay Day In The Life was a clever glue tagether
but when heard recently couldnt believe how short it was..

Abbey Road up against Let It Bleed
heck kinda like comparing Mary Poppins ta Apocalypse Now …… I'll leave it at that girls

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...141142143144145146147148149150151...LastNext
Current Page: 146 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2340
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home