Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...134135136137138139140141142143144...LastNext
Current Page: 139 of 223
Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: August 21, 2019 12:17

Irix
Nikkei

I don't know why I'm so annoyed by this, but there seems to be a story to every single Beatles song ever.

Books about it:

The Story Behind Every Beatles Release: [www.Amazon.com] .

The Rolling Stones - The Story Behind Every Track: [www.Amazon.com] .

I picked the Stones one up cheap. Underwhelming.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 5, 2019 01:16

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 6, 2019 08:10

Oh! Darling (Take 4)

Oh! Darling (2019 mix)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-06 08:23 by Cristiano Radtke.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: September 18, 2019 15:11

[people.com]

Ringo Starr Teams with Paul McCartney to Record John Lennon's 'Grow Old with Me' for New Album

The track on Ringo Starr's upcoming album, What's My Name, marks the latest collaboration between the last two surviving members of The Beatles

Ringo Starr - What’s My Name (Audio)
[www.youtube.com]

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 18, 2019 16:16

powerage78
[people.com]

Ringo Starr Teams with Paul McCartney to Record John Lennon's 'Grow Old with Me' for New Album

The track on Ringo Starr's upcoming album, What's My Name, marks the latest collaboration between the last two surviving members of The Beatles

Ringo Starr - What’s My Name (Audio)
[www.youtube.com]

Great title track.. good on Ringo!
Looking forward to hearing him and Paul's cover of John's song.
Lennon's version:[youtu.be]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 20, 2019 05:14

Herald Sun - 20 September 2019

ROCKMAN

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 20, 2019 09:27

That's good news about John's old house. I'd visit if I ever make it over to Liverpool.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 20, 2019 22:17

From the "Abbey Road" reissue:

Come Together (Take 5)

[youtu.be]

Come Together (2019 Mix)

[youtu.be]

Date: September 21, 2019 01:30

frankotero
That's good news about John's old house. I'd visit if I ever make it over to Liverpool.

Um, er...

John never actually lived in Strawberry Field. It was a big house, sometime used as an orphanage, near where he lived with Mimi.

As for visits..... As far as I can recall you can actually visit both John and Paul's (main) childhood homes. Both are owned by the National Trust and visiting (pre-book!) happens.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 24, 2019 04:34

Beatlemania coming to Los Angeles - maybe Ringo will show up to provide a little 'Peace and Love':

Beatles’ ‘Abbey Road’ Crossing to Be Recreated at Hollywood’s Most Famous Intersection for One Day

Abbey Road

Traffic has been perpetually tied up around London’s Abbey Road Studios for 50 years now as fans flock to the street outside to recreate the Beatles’ photographic stroll. To celebrate five decades of that happy UK logjam — and also 50 years of “Abbey Road,” the album — the city of Los Angeles will close down Vine St. at Hollywood Blvd. on Sept. 26 to recreate that other famous intersection.

That and other ceremonial festivities will take place adjacent to Hollywood’s famed Capitol Records tower the day before the release of “Abbey Road: Anniversary Edition,” a 50th anniversary box set including a newly remixed version of the album and previously unreleased outtakes from the 1969 sessions.

No, the Hollywood & Vine crossing will not be permanently repainted in a zebra pattern for the celebration. A Beatles/Universal spokesperson tells Variety what, exactly, the photo op will entail: “The crosswalk will be recreated with a non-slip heavy vinyl recreation of Abbey Road’s zebra crossing laid down over the existing Vine St. crosswalk, with an 8-foot tall double-sided backdrop of 4 panels (two per side) showing the ‘Abbey Road’ cover art photo without the Beatles in the image. There will be four Abbey Road zebra crossing + backdrop areas (two areas per side) for fans to take photos and videos.”

nd then, after being closed for the festivities from 1-3:30 that afternoon, Vine St. will reopen to Hollywood’s usual too-many-new-hotels-and-condos traffic.

Sir Patrick Stewart will provide the celebrity presence at the occasion, joined by L.A. city councilmember Mitch O’Farrell and Board of Public Works President Kevin James. Other attractions beyond the photo op will include a Beatles pop-up shop curated by Amoeba Music, food trucks, “Abbey Road” cupcakes and an unspecified “free, exclusive, commemorative takeaway item,” while supplies last.

The temporary crosswalk unveiling and a dedication for a permanent new City of Los Angeles sign at the Capitol tower will take place from 1-1:15, with the rest of the festivities going on till 3:30. The celebration takes place on the actual 50th anniversary date for the release of “Abbey Road”; the new archival deluxe and non-deluxe reissues are off by just a day.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 25, 2019 19:03

Ringo Starr, Jimmy Fallon & The Roots Sing "Yellow Submarine" (Classroom Instruments)

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 26, 2019 18:15

Abbey Road, 50th Anniversary Super Deluxe Edition -- Previews of all Tracks: [Music.Apple.com] .

Date: September 26, 2019 19:22

The Beatles - Here Comes The Sun (Official Video - 2019 Mix)

[www.youtube.com]

Date: September 26, 2019 20:33

Wow, very nice video. Never saw that many shots from Tittenhurst, and in great quality.

Date: September 26, 2019 21:00

Fantastic song...nice mix...50 years later still sounds very fresh...timeless.
And nice video.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: September 26, 2019 23:07

MisterDDDD
The Beatles - Here Comes The Sun (Official Video - 2019 Mix)

[www.youtube.com]

Very nicely done. Enjoyed that.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 27, 2019 08:03

Date: September 27, 2019 08:11

My copy of the new Abbey Road arrived yesterday. I was really too busy with other things to do justice to it if I had opened it... so..today..

There is a detailed, very detailed, and with mouthwatering illustrations, track by track description written by Kevin Howlett.

On the substance.

The previous Giles Martin products have been subtle remixes that actually change what we're hearing. Always respecful, often really good.

This is different. It's as if someone has taken a wonderful old master painting and cleaned it thoroughly so that we can see (hear) what the artist intended unfaded by time. Or if someone has gone to a trophy cabinet somewhere full of dulled silverware, and cleaned it and turned on the lights. Nothing's changed, but you can see/hear it all.

It's Abbey Road as if you were sitting in Studio 2 (wot I've done!) and sat there while they were recording & mixing. Very good indeed and it's really like having (eg) Paul sitting in the room singing for you.

Sitting listening to (what I still think of as) Side 2 is a delight.

(That's all 50 years ago. I wonder what Paul thinks when he hears this stuff. Encountering yourself 50 years later must be rather strange.)

Not yet had a chance to listen to any of the bonus stuff

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: September 27, 2019 13:31

Just got the set. Went right to "the long one". Wow, very well put together. I particularly like the transition between Her Majesty and Polythene Pam. Reminds me of how Cheap Trick used to play concerts in the 1970s. Always been a fan for this kind of thing. Only thing I wish they would have added one of the greatest lyrics and quote in my opinion, "and in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make".

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 27, 2019 13:57

The remaster sounds absolutely fantastic. The funny thing is about the outtakes though, which I find not all that interesting. We hardcore Stones fans always scream for more outtakes to be released officially, but to me this Abbey Road release proves to me that unless you are a hardcore fan these outtakes don't add much.

Mathijs

Date: September 27, 2019 14:32

I see your point, but that's also part of the reason to buy a super deluxe box. Otherwise buy the regular CD release, it's much cheaper too. There's no reason to compare The Beatles and Stones in this case. I love them both, but I only appreciate reissues by The Beatles.

Date: September 27, 2019 16:06

CaptainCorella
frankotero

Um, er...

John never actually lived in Strawberry Field. It was a big house, sometime used as an orphanage, near where he lived with Mimi.

As for visits..... As far as I can recall you can actually visit both John and Paul's (main) childhood homes. Both are owned by the National Trust and visiting (pre-book!) happens.

While on the "Magical Mystery" bus tour that takes you to the various spots around Liverpool, there was a big tree in John/Mimi's yard that, according to the guide, John would climb to oggle the girls playing at Strawberry Field. The line, "nothing to get hung about" was in reference to how his aunt would warn him that if he got caught doing so they would hang him .. cool smiley

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 27, 2019 16:53

MisterDDDD
CaptainCorella
frankotero

Um, er...

While on the "Magical Mystery" bus tour that takes you to the various spots around Liverpool, there was a big tree in John/Mimi's yard that, according to the guide, John would climb to oggle the girls playing at Strawberry Field. The line, "nothing to get hung about" was in reference to how his aunt would warn him that if he got caught doing so they would hang him .. cool smiley

Cool story. Never heard that before.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: September 27, 2019 22:10

Looking forward to absorbing everything involving the new Abbey Road Deluxe. thumbs up
As with the release of last years White album Deluxe, as a Beatles fan it's like being a kid on Christmas day.

Meanwhile...

Ringo the Artist at the Morrison Hotel Gallery, L.A.

ANOTHER DAY IN THE LIFE with Ringo Starr

Ringo

From the signature ring assemblage that earned him the now-iconic namesake to the percussive compositions that secured his permanent place in music history, the skilled hands of Ringo Starr have certainly left a lasting imprint on the world at large over the last half-century but on Thursday, October 10th, 2019, the former Beatle extends his Midas touch to Morrison Hotel Gallery as we proudly present Another Day in The Life, an exhibition of new works from the legendary singer-songwriter turned mixed media artist made available exclusively through MHG. Upping the ante on this special showing of limited edition fine art prints to be held in conjunction with the release of the artist's monograph of the same title, the first 51 collectors to purchase one of Starr's collages on night of event will receive an invitation to a VIP meet & greet hosted on a separately disclosed evening in West Hollywood.

Another Day in The Life with Ringo Starr
Thursday, October 10th, 7-10PM
Sunset Marquis Hotel
1200 Alta Loma Road
Los Angeles, CA 90069

SELECT WORKS TO BE INCLUDED WITHIN THE EXHIBITION
> Ringo<

In his new book, 'Another Day in The Life,' Ringo Starr’s first-hand stories take the reader through a collection of more than 500 of his photographs. The photographs, new and archival, are mostly unpublished. Now, a small selection are presented as signed limited edition graphics: a choice of six fine art prints on cotton rag paper, suitable for framing. Ringo’s mixed media artworks are hand finished with gold and iridescent inks, and each numbered copy is signed by Ringo Starr.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: September 27, 2019 23:47

The Abbey Road set is a steal. I've always hated "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" and damn if I wasn't singing along! Great package.

Date: September 27, 2019 23:56

Listening to the album now. Am I wrong to think there's some differences near the end of Come Together? Been along time since I've played the original. Again, I'm already happy with this package after playing The Long One and now Come Together. While writing I believe there's also subtle differences in Something. Cool!

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: September 28, 2019 00:13

I love the Atmos 5.1 mix on the bluray, I wish more bands would use Atmos, it is just amazing surround sound!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 28, 2019 02:55

Mr.D
I love the Atmos 5.1 mix on the bluray, I wish more bands would use Atmos, it is just amazing surround sound!

i know a grammy award winning engineer in seattle who has been flying back & forth to berlin working on that very subject. it's coming...in a big way.

Date: September 28, 2019 03:42

From Rock Cellar:

Abbey Road

Out Now: The Beatles’ Lavish 50th Anniversary Edition of ‘Abbey Road’

The 50th anniversary edition of Abbey Road boasts a rich collection of alternate takes, demos and other recordings left on the cutting-room floor back in the late 1960s:

Abbey Road’s Super Deluxe box set presents 40 tracks – including “The Long One” Trial Edit & Mix for the album’s epic Side 2 medley – on three CDs (stereo) and one Blu-ray disc (Dolby Atmos, 96kHz/24 bit high resolution stereo, and 96 kHz/24 bit DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1). The four discs are housed in a slip-sleeved 12” by 12” 100-page hardbound book with McCartney’s foreword; Martin’s introduction; insightful, in-depth chapters written by Beatles historian, author, and radio producer Kevin Howlett covering the months preceding The Beatles’ Abbey Road sessions, track-by-track details and session notes, the cover art and photo shoot, and the album’s reception upon its release; plus an essay by music journalist and author David Hepworth looking at the album’s influence through 50 years. The gorgeous book is illustrated with rare and previously unpublished photographs, including many taken by Linda McCartney; never before published images of handwritten lyrics, sketches, and a George Martin score; Beatles correspondence, recording sheets, and tape boxes; and reproduced original print ads. The Super Deluxe digital audio collection presents all 40 tracks for download purchase and streaming in standard and MFiT formats, as well as in high resolution audio (96kHz/24 bit) for download.

The result is a reverent tribute to a classic album and, while yet another reissue of a Beatles title, one that is absolutely deserving of another go around, considering the weight of the material on this record and its place in not only the Beatles’ history, but music history in general.

Super Deluxe stream available on Spotify

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: September 29, 2019 00:40

Beatles signatures left in cupboard for decades

[www.bbc.co.uk]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...134135136137138139140141142143144...LastNext
Current Page: 139 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1912
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home