Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...125126127128129130131132133134135...LastNext
Current Page: 130 of 223
Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Date: November 11, 2018 13:35

GasLightStreet
RollingFreak
marianna
I'm on the fence about buying the WA set. I don't like Giles Martin's work, so have little use for the remix (and don't care for the released samples). I do want the extra tracks. The packaging is interesting. I'll wait for more reviews before deciding. These sets are all record company profiteering.

It is all for record companies but at least with The Beatles and Dylan box sets they are really really beautiful. I get that that doesn't mean much to most, it doesn't even really mean much to me (I'd rather just pay $20 and get the music than stuff I'm gonna look at once) but its a nice touch. At least its not shoddy, its a legitimately good product. My dad just got the 6 disc one and I saw it yesterday and it is indeed breathtaking. It seems defintive, which is good cause it should be. Its a wonderfully white box with a coffee table book that has notes from Paul and pictures of the original lyrics and notes about each song. Again, I totally get it, its not even really my thing, but if you wanna be immersed at least they did a good job. Same with Dylan.

And its not outrageously priced. Its like $140 but it could be a lot worse. The thing that sucks is you kinda have to get the 6 disc, cause as you say I didn't need another remix but I needed the extras. So the Esher demos just wouldn't do. I personally think its worth it if you love this album. If you don't, hey its easy to find online illegally. I'm not recommending it but hey, its the alternative and its not a secret. Personally I enjoy being able to hold this and the Dylan box and dig into it. Its a high price but its not jaw dropping and its hard to say you don't get your money's worth. I think this is more value than Sgt Peppers, which I thought they kinda skimped with only 2 extra discs, both of which combined pretty much fit on one disc.

There has never been a Stones deluxe reissue equivalent to what has been done with Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jame and of course, The Beatles. Among loads of others. The Beatles anthologies? Genius.

No Stones. The EOMS stand alone disc was cool... but hardly anything on it. The SOME GIRLS deluxe edition was not only a shame in that one had to buy the album as well but it's not even accurate.

The gripe about profiteering for the record labels - it's not Big Pharma. No one's life is depending on buying a super deluxe reissue. It's all optional.

Yes I was just talking to a friend of mine about that. we were discussing the 'White' re-issue; and then 'Banquet' comes up. I mean, you want to say "is this a joke?"

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 11, 2018 13:59

frankotero
Geez, I'm on the 2nd disc of White Album out-takes and I'm already satisfied. I'm talking disc 4 and 5. Perfect! Don't think I could ask for more. On the subject of packaging my only complaint there isn't more color pictures. Anyhow, overall it's worth more than the price in my opinion. They did this one right, I'm very happy.

How is the new remaster of the original record? I have liked Giles Martin's work to date.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: November 11, 2018 17:46

Deltics
Special limited edition Beatles 'The White Album' 50th anniversary commemorative T-shirt. winking smiley

I have a similar item. The White Album must have been also licensed to Kleenex.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 11, 2018 18:19

crholmstrom, I haven't played the album yet, only the bonus discs. I don't expect much more from the 2009 remasters, that's okay with me. Next I want to try the Mono Mix on the bluray. Anyway, the price is well worth the 3 sessions CDs alone. Didn't mind too much for the Esher Demos CD but they sound great, too much acoustic for me, want the whole band in there.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 11, 2018 19:37

frankotero
crholmstrom, I haven't played the album yet, only the bonus discs. I don't expect much more from the 2009 remasters, that's okay with me. Next I want to try the Mono Mix on the bluray. Anyway, the price is well worth the 3 sessions CDs alone. Didn't mind too much for the Esher Demos CD but they sound great, too much acoustic for me, want the whole band in there.

thanks. budgetary considerations....

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 12, 2018 01:00

Deltics
Special limited edition Beatles 'The White Album' 50th anniversary commemorative T-shirt. winking smiley

[shop.abbeyroad.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: November 12, 2018 02:27

Deltics
Deltics

[shop.abbeyroad.com]

What a shabby pathetic effort. No attempt to include the serial number. :-)

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 12, 2018 14:44

Irix
For those who are unsure if the Demos/Outtakes are worth it: the 107-Track-Edition is available in full on [open.Spotify.com] .

smoking smiley smileys with beer

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: November 12, 2018 16:59

Spent hours Saturday listening to the White Album Anniversary release. The sound on the BluRay disc with the 5.1 surround mix is very, very good. Lots of subtle sounds emerge especially through the rear speakers that are otherwise somewhat hidden with the 2 channel stereo and mono mixes. The Esher demos also sound great. There are cds's I haven't had time to get to with session outtakes, but it's hours of music. The deluxe cd set has a very well put together book that has a great deal of information describing how each track on the album evolved. Very thick quality paper used too. I bought the deluxe cd set as well as the Lp's. I haven't compared the mono mix on the Anniversary set with the 2009 release yet, but look forward to making some comparisons.

This stuff wasn't cheap, but I consider it good quality for the money spent.Beatles fans will want to have this in their collection imo.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: November 12, 2018 22:55

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

"Next year marks the 30th anniversary of the first incarnation of Ringo Starr's All Starr Band tours.
He's celebrating it, naturally, with shows in North America and Japan.
The former Beatles great also says he's putting out a new collection of his own snapshots, called Another Day in the Life.

Starr's touring calendar will begin on March 21 at the Harrah’s Resort Southern California in Funner, Calif., according to a news release.
After that, he'll head to Japan for two weeks worth of shows,
then return to North America in the summer.
Preliminary dates include
Windsor, Ont.; Highland Park, Ill. (with the Beach Boys);
Nashville and Los Angeles. The release says more shows will be announced soon.

Joining Starr on this run will be All Starr Band veterans

Steve Lukather,
Colin Hay (Men at Work),
Gregg Rolie,
Warren Ham (Kansas),
Gregg Bissonette
and Hamish Stuart (Average White Band).

For full information on tickets, visit Starr's website.

Another Day in the Life follows 2003's Postcards From the Boys and 2013's Photograph, and is similarly comprised of photographs
that Starr has taken throughout his life and travels, captioned with his musings and stories.

A collector's edition, limited to 1,650 copies, can be pre-ordered at Genesis Publications and will be available soon.
The hardcover edition will see widespread release in April 2019.

Between then and now, Starr will receive a humanitarian award on Nov. 27 at the annual Snowflake Ball sponsored by George Harrison Fund for UNICEF in New York.

Harrison's family created the fund in 2005 to support programs that provide lifesaving assistance to children,
including health, education, nutrition and emergency relief."

Ringo Starr & His All Star Band 2019 Tour Dates

3/21 – Funner, CA, Harrah’s Resort Southern California
3/27 – Fukuoka, Japan, Sun Palace Hall
3/29 – Hiroshima, Japan, Uenogakuen
4/1 – Sendai, Japan, Tokyo Electron Hall Miyagi
4/2 – Koriyama, Japan, Shimin Center
4/3 – Tokyo, Japan, Hitomi Kinen Kodo
4/5 – Tokyo, Japan, Dome City Hall
4/9 – Nagoya, Japan, Zepp
4/10 – Japan, Osaka, Archaic Hall
4/11 – Osaka, Japan, Orix Theatre
8/1 – Windsor, ON, Caesars Windsor
8/3-4 – Highland Park, IL, Ravinia Festival
8/7-8 – Nashville, TN, Ryman Auditorium
9/1 – Los Angeles, CA, Greek Theater

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-12 22:57 by hopkins.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 13, 2018 02:45

crholmstrom
frankotero
Geez, I'm on the 2nd disc of White Album out-takes and I'm already satisfied. I'm talking disc 4 and 5. Perfect! Don't think I could ask for more. On the subject of packaging my only complaint there isn't more color pictures. Anyhow, overall it's worth more than the price in my opinion. They did this one right, I'm very happy.

How is the new remaster of the original record? I have liked Giles Martin's work to date.

The 2009 remastering is excellent.

Date: November 13, 2018 02:52

In the late 1990s, I think it was, maybe a couple years later, I had the opportunity to buy a bootleg of The Beatles' demo sessions for THE BEATLES. I was floored.

There must've been a girl involved because I left to go get some cash and... got distracted. When I eventually got back to the record store a few weeks later or whatever, of course it was gone, and they had no idea if they'd get another one.

I was pissed. Aside from the few on anthology 3... so when this project was announced, ha ha... excellent!!!

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 13, 2018 03:02

How much of what this is different from Anthology 3? Is everything on there on this? Is this all NEW stuff? Is there any overlap?

Date: November 13, 2018 03:09

RollingFreak
How much of what this is different from Anthology 3? Is everything on there on this? Is this all NEW stuff? Is there any overlap?

7 of the 27 demos appear on A3, which are all on this release.

Date: November 14, 2018 16:59

JJHMick
Deltics

I have a similar item. The White Album must have been also licensed to Kleenex.

If I look at it from the side, and just in the right light, it almost looks a little like the 'Beggars Banquet" T Shirt.

Date: November 19, 2018 11:04

While listening to the 'White Album" outtakes, the Escher Demos, there aren't that many revelations on Paul's songs. He had them ready, and could play them alone, on acoustic, electric whatever. It is Lennon's songs that prove to be more interesting in this format because he is still tinkering with all kinds of parts and interpretations.
But the version of "Julia" is haunting. His voice is literally hypnotizing.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: November 19, 2018 12:49

Palace Revolution 2000
the Escher Demos,

NOT a lame spelling flame....

The demo's are actually colloquially the ESHER Demo's because they were recorded in George's house (bungalow) in the UK Surrey town of Esher.

But there's a Stones connection.

M C Escher is the artist who draws the impossible 3d views. Apparently Jagger did write to him once asking if he would do an album cover. The reply, allegedly, was...."Why?".

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 20, 2018 09:09

CaptainCorella
Palace Revolution 2000
the Escher Demos,

The demo's are actually colloquially the ESHER Demo's because they were recorded in George's house (bungalow) in the UK Surrey town of Esher.

M C Escher is the artist who draws the impossible 3d views. Apparently Jagger did write to him once asking if he would do an album cover. The reply, allegedly, was...."Why?".

There's more to the story than that!

How Mick Jagger Got Dissed By M.C. Escher

Mick's letter:

Dear Maurits,
For quite some time now I have had in my possession your book (Graphic Works Of...) and it never ceases to amaze me each time I study it! In fact I think your work is quite incredible and it would make me very happy for a lot more people to see and know and understand exactly what you are doing.

In March or April this year, we have scheduled our next LP record for release, and I am most eager to reproduce one of your works on the cover-sleeve. Would you please consider either designing a "picture" for it, or have you any unpublished works which you might think suitable -the "optical illusion" idea very much appeals to me, although one like "Evolution" would of course be equally as suitable. -and would say the same thing. You might even like to do a long one like "Metamorphosis" which we could then reproduce as a folding-out sleeve. It could be either in one colour or full colour, that would be up to you entirely.

Naturally, both you and your publishers would get full credits on the sleeve, and we could negotiate a fee on hearing of your decision to do it. I would be most grateful if you could contact Peter Swales or Miss Jo Bergman at the above address or telephone (reverse charge), and either will give you every necessary assistance. However, I am not so fortunate as to possess a Dutch interpreter, and so if you do not speak English or French, I would again be grateful if you could fix up somebody in Baarn to oblige.

Yours very sincerely,
MICK JAGGER
for ROLLING STONES LTD.

M.C. Escher's reply:

Dear Sir [addressed to Mr. Peter Swales],
Some days ago I received a letter from Mr. Jagger asking me to design a picture or to place at his disposal unpublished work to reproduce on the cover-sleeve for an LP record.

My answer to both questions must be no, as I want to devote all my time and attention to the many commitments I made; I cannot possibly accept any further assignments or spend any time on publicity.

By the way, please tell Mr. Jagger I am not Maurits to him, but
Very sincerely,
M. C. Escher.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: November 20, 2018 09:32

Now that's a nice find! - Not sure though an Escher cover would have fitted a Stones Album well.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: November 21, 2018 03:20

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: November 21, 2018 03:36

RollingFreak

7 demos re-appear. On the big boxed set, there are 3 additional discs worth of outtakes, of which 99% of it are different takes to what appears from White Album sessions on Anthology 3. In other words: They aren’t trying to pass of the same outtakes again. What is repeated from earlier releases are minimal. Something a lot of artists could learn from.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 21, 2018 04:10

Blueranger
RollingFreak

7 demos re-appear. On the big boxed set, there are 3 additional discs worth of outtakes, of which 99% of it are different takes to what appears from White Album sessions on Anthology 3. In other words: They aren’t trying to pass of the same outtakes again. What is repeated from earlier releases are minimal. Something a lot of artists could learn from.

The Esher demos are priceless.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 21, 2018 04:21

Tossing up between the poorly conceived and released Deluxe White Album 6 CD set from The Beatles and the lovely Beggars Banquet deluxe anniversary set released by the Stones. Really want that flexi disc Mick interview......

Rod

Date: November 21, 2018 04:27

bitusa2012
Tossing up between the poorly conceived and released Deluxe White Album 6 CD set from The Beatles and the lovely Beggars Banquet deluxe anniversary set released by the Stones. Really want that flexi disc Mick interview......

Had me going there for a second...winking smiley

Date: November 21, 2018 15:49

CaptainCorella
Palace Revolution 2000
the Escher Demos,

Thanks Cap; didn't even any close enough attention on the writing on disc. was really taken by the music.
Yes, I recall reading about the letter, and then seeing it somewhere. Like Hairball posted. What year was that? Which album did Jagger have in mind? haha..Maurits, baby..
It reminds me of the story when Jagger went and rang Miles Davis' door, and Miles slammed the door in his face.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 21, 2018 17:53

Saturday 24 November on UK's Channel 4 @ 8PM.
Documentary: 'John and Yoko: Above us only sky'.
100 min apx.
Interviews with Yoko, Julian, David Bailey, Dan Richter, John Dunbar.
Plus some previously unseen archival footage. Centres around the Imagine recording sessions (1971).

Date: November 21, 2018 20:48

Palace Revolution 2000
CaptainCorella
Palace Revolution 2000
the Escher Demos,

Thanks Cap; didn't even any close enough attention on the writing on disc. was really taken by the music.
Yes, I recall reading about the letter, and then seeing it somewhere. Like Hairball posted. What year was that? Which album did Jagger have in mind? haha..Maurits, baby..
It reminds me of the story when Jagger went and rang Miles Davis' door, and Miles slammed the door in his face.

I believe it was for the Through the past Darkly compilation where they ended up going with the shaped cover.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-21 20:48 by Hairball.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 22, 2018 01:09

Silver Beatles -- 1960

ROCKMAN

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: November 22, 2018 01:20

i'm so bored

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 22, 2018 09:21

potus43
i'm so bored

Happy Thanksgiving to you too.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...125126127128129130131132133134135...LastNext
Current Page: 130 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1750
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home