Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...121122123124125126127128129130131...LastNext
Current Page: 126 of 223
Re: August 15, 1965
Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: August 16, 2018 15:29

I was 12 years old for the first show and 13 for the second. It was an awakening for a very young girl after a time of great sadness in the US and in my personal life (dad passed when I was very young.) The music opened my ears. Those harmonies!!! Paul opened my eyes lol...he was (is) so damn beautiful!! I had to BEG my mom for the money to go. I remember that one of the shows was under $6.00! In those days, the tickets arrived in the mail. I don't remember the ordering process at all. It was also a time when it was safe for young girls to travel around NY on bus and subway although the first year, my mom did take us. A different world.

Date: August 16, 2018 15:47

steffialicia
I was 12 years old for the first show and 13 for the second. It was an awakening for a very young girl after a time of great sadness in the US and in my personal life (dad passed when I was very young.) The music opened my ears. Those harmonies!!! Paul opened my eyes lol...he was (is) so damn beautiful!! I had to BEG my mom for the money to go. I remember that one of the shows was under $6.00! In those days, the tickets arrived in the mail. I don't remember the ordering process at all. It was also a time when it was safe for young girls to travel around NY on bus and subway although the first year, my mom did take us. A different world.

They still do! smiling smiley

Thanks for the story - must have been awesome! thumbs up

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 16, 2018 16:44

dead.flowers
. I found this as a nice example to illustrate what a Schultüte is, which apparently has no equivalent outside the German speaking world.

dead.flowers

My late father was from Germany, and I have a photo of him as a small boy with one.

It's my understanding that there is candy in them?

Do kids get them every school year, or just when they start grade school?

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 16, 2018 17:09

loog droog
dead.flowers
. I found this as a nice example to illustrate what a Schultüte is, which apparently has no equivalent outside the German speaking world.

dead.flowers

My late father was from Germany, and I have a photo of him as a small boy with one.

Loads of candy...

Well, I expected them every school year, but unfortunately, you get them only when you start. One of my first major disappointments in life when I realized that...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-16 17:11 by retired_dog.

Posted by: JumpinJimF ()
Date: August 16, 2018 19:04

retired_dog
loog droog
dead.flowers

dead.flowers

Loads of candy...

Well, I expected them every school year, but unfortunately, you get them only when you start. One of my first major disappointments in life when I realized that...

Du kannst nich immer kriegen, was Du haben willst.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 16, 2018 19:58

JumpinJimF
retired_dog
loog droog
dead.flowers

dead.flowers

Loads of candy...

But you find sometimes, you get what you need....CANDY!!

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: August 17, 2018 12:10

JumpinJimF
retired_dog
loog droog
dead.flowers

dead.flowers

Loads of candy...

It's candy and fruit and the like in there, and maybe some useful items like pens. But you'll get the Schultüte only once in your life, on the very first day you ever go to school, first day of first grade.

I still have the pic of my first school day, freshly combed, best clothes on, proudly, a bit shyly presenting the Schultüte on the stairs to the school's main gate. That are memories: 1965 and all innocent.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: August 17, 2018 12:29

dead.flowers
JumpinJimF
retired_dog
loog droog
dead.flowers

dead.flowers

Loads of candy...

It's candy and fruit and the like in there, and maybe some useful items like pens. But you'll get the Schultüte only once in your life, on the very first day you ever go to school, first day of first grade.

I still have the pic of my first school day, freshly combed, best clothes on, proudly, a bit shyly presenting the Schultüte on the stairs to the school's main gate. That are memories: 1965 and all innocent.

This is so cool thank you for sharing such a cool German tradition, I'm from New Zealand and we culturally appropriate everything around us that we like as a matter of course

In the last 30 Years, Thai & Mexican Cuisine has become a favorite sit down, Kids beat Mexican Pinata's at their birthdays along with traditional pin the tail on the donkey, pass the parcel and Musical Chairs, but this sounds awesome. I could see this becoming a thing here, it's too cute, sharing, introductory for a little child for it not too be... beautiful

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: August 17, 2018 12:42

This is so cool thank you for sharing such a cool German tradition, I'm from New Zealand and we culturally appropriate everything around us that we like as a matter of course

I'm glad about the interest you show SKILLS. Actually, till now I wasn't even aware that the Schultüte is a specific German tradition. I see it as a very nice way to sweeten the child's first step into adult life. And, at that (post-war) time, the sweets and things you got were also something special, and, after so many years I do still vividly remember the excitement and all.

d.f

Re: OT: Beatles first concert at Shea Stadium, NY August 15, 1965
Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: August 18, 2018 09:57

steffialicia
Beatles first concert at Shea Stadium in Queens, NY. I was there!!

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 19, 2018 04:17

Meise
on August 15, 1995 the Stones played in Leipzig/Germany for the very first time. I was there as around 80.000 other, but was one of few giving high five to Mick when he came down the stage walking some meters along the front row ...

Yesss!!

Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 21, 2018 18:21

Here's a nice read on "Hey Jude". It shows the song as one of the greatest singalongs - and popular Beatles song - ever recorded. Is it? Is there any song by the Stones that's comparable i terms of being sung, essentially, everywhere for various occasions?

[www.theguardian.com]

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 21, 2018 18:26

dmay
Here's a nice read on "Hey Jude". It shows the song as one of the greatest singalongs - and popular Beatles song - ever recorded. Is it? Is there any song by the Stones that's comparable i terms of being sung, essentially, everywhere for various occasions?

[www.theguardian.com]

I don't really think so. The closest I can think is the "woo woos" on Sympathy but thats pretty different. Same with Brown Sugar and the "yeah yeah woos" at the end. Other than that they have choruses that are super recognizable like Start Me Up or Ruby Tuesday but thats also pretty different than the Hey Jude singalong.

Date: August 23, 2018 04:22

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-23 04:25 by hopkins.

Date: August 23, 2018 04:24

bad day at computer school.oops
apologies...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-23 04:26 by hopkins.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 23, 2018 16:57

RollingFreak
dmay

[www.theguardian.com]

I don't really think so. The closest I can think is the "woo woos" on Sympathy but thats pretty different. Same with Brown Sugar and the "yeah yeah woos" at the end. Other than that they have choruses that are super recognizable like Start Me Up or Ruby Tuesday but thats also pretty different than the Hey Jude singalong.

Do any get sung at football matches?

Date: August 26, 2018 03:25

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-26 03:31 by hopkins.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 26, 2018 04:27

Is that a reference to the White album Hopkins? winking smiley

Speaking of which, getting anxious to here more updates on the Deluxe,
And while we're at it, the Beggars Deluxe...not sure if that's actually going to happen, though several insiders said it was being talked about.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 26, 2018 05:37

jlowe
RollingFreak
dmay

[www.theguardian.com]

Do any get sung at football matches?
Start Me Up gets sung at quite a few different events... including football games winking smiley
[youtu.be]

OT: Hey Jude 50 Years Old!
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 27, 2018 08:55

Probably my favourite Beatles song and of all the concerts I've seen, the best crowd sing a long song.

Re: OT: Hey Jude 50 Years Old!
Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: August 27, 2018 10:34

I remember Mary Hopkin won the top of the charts from this song.
It's been over 50 years now.smiling smiley

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: August 27, 2018 10:56

The earliest memory is I heard it played at least two times an hour on the radio. That's one of my markers to know how old I was when I first became a fan. I was 5 in 1968. I used to wait impatiently for Paul's scream and Ringo's little drum solo near the end. Those were the days!

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: August 27, 2018 12:50

I’m a bit younger and didn’t hear it until 1973 when my dad bought ‘the blue album 1967-70’ compilation for his then new Sony Stereo.

Brilliant singalong live. The tune is often used as a football chant and my own club (Heart of Midlothian aka ‘Hearts’, Edinburgh, Scotland) regularly play it on the PA as goal celebration music.

A classic, which will still be listened to in another 50 years.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: August 27, 2018 13:26

Connoisseurs will agree with you, the rest will have their choices spread out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-27 13:32 by noughties.

Date: August 27, 2018 13:27

Edinburgh, I was there for The Stones First visit, I have to say great town and friendly people. Ronnie waved to me from his Hotel room. We stayed at the Scotsman. Greets!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 27, 2018 15:04

Good read in Rolling Stone re the classic.

‘Hey Jude’ at 50: Celebrating the Beatles’ Most Open-Hearted Masterpiece
"The band’s biggest hit was a tribute to everything the members loved and respected about each other"

[www.rollingstone.com]

Date: August 27, 2018 15:25

Good article. Some of that stuff I didn't know about.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 27, 2018 16:03

In the spring of 1969, when I started collecting 45s, I asked my mother if she could pick this up for me. But by that time, it had fallen out of the Hot 100, and the record department at Macy's or whatever was no longer stocking it. She brought home their new one instead, "Get Back." That was my first 45. Unless it was "Hair" by the Cowsills. I can never remember.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 27, 2018 17:09

The song was supposed to be called Hey Dude... the "J" a typo.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 27, 2018 21:22

schillid
The song was supposed to be called Hey Dude... the "J" a typo.

It was written as Hey Jules -- Macca wrote it for John's son Julian to comfort him over his parents' impending divorce.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...121122123124125126127128129130131...LastNext
Current Page: 126 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2176
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home