Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...111112113114115116117118119120121...LastNext
Current Page: 116 of 223
Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: February 21, 2018 00:03

This clip has some rare snapshots of Abbey Road sessions I've never seen before. (Go ahead and mute the sound)

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 21, 2018 00:21

loog droog
This clip has some rare snapshots of Abbey Road sessions I've never seen before. (Go ahead and mute the sound)

[www.youtube.com]

Thanks, and that youtube channel - Elena the Beatles photos - has loads of other cool videos!

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: February 21, 2018 02:30

loog droog

[www.youtube.com]

Thanks for the link - really nice. With the YouTube sound muted, "Here Comes The Sun" fit nicely over it!

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: February 21, 2018 08:41

The Story Behind The Beatles' "Hey Bulldog"
[www.youtube.com]

The Beatles - Hey Bulldog (Promo video)
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-21 08:49 by hopkins.

Date: February 21, 2018 09:23

Thanks hopkins - always has been one of my ultimate favorite Beatles tunes, and have never seen that "Story Behind" video.

My Grandma used to be a seamstress for the stars in Hollywood in the '60s, and when Yellow Submarine was released she brought my brother and I each our own copy.
Don't know or remember the exact story of how she acquired those albums, but I remember her saying they were free - might have had to do with one of the movie studios she was working for.
Listened to side on of that album religiously as a six year old - George's It's All Too Much and Only a Northern Song are also all time favorites of mine.

OT: George would've been 75 today
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: February 25, 2018 17:17

A shout out to the late George Harrison. My fave of The Beatles. Listen to some of his stuff today. You'll be on Cloud Nine (great song by George).

BTW, I know this might be considered as part of the Beatles thread, but George didn't always wanna be considered a Beatle.

Re: OT: George would've been 75 today
Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: February 25, 2018 18:38

dmay
A shout out to the late George Harrison. My fave of The Beatles. Listen to some of his stuff today. You'll be on Cloud Nine (great song by George).

BTW, I know this might be considered as part of the Beatles thread, but George didn't always wanna be considered a Beatle.

No, he didn't...but he wouldn't have been able to fund his life style and various homes dotted around the planet without FAB 4 royalties.
Living in the Material World!

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: February 25, 2018 18:41

i miss George, he was my fav too, not just for the music but his wicked humour as well. He had a cameo in Python’s Life of Brian. Much too soon gone.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 25, 2018 18:42

I adore George. He was always my favorite. As I've mentioned countless times, as a 10 year old The Concert For Bangladesh meant way more than it should have to me. I don't know, there's some magical quality I love about it. I know every edit in that concert film and every note of the album. That probably sealed him being my favorite but so much else. All Things Must Pass obviously (the BEST Beatles solo album by far), all his great songs with the Beatles, his smattering of great songs after Bangladesh, all his great contributions to other artists (his song for Ringo Photograph is one of my favorites of all time). Just a beautiful soul. Very quiet, unassuming, not yearning for the spotlight and trying to use his influence for good which I always appreciated. Something very human about it, whereas John and Paul are sorta gods (which with the material they've written they've earned). And a hell of an underrated guitar player. I was absolutely crushed when he passed so early.

Definitely recommend his 4 hour documentary from Scorsese from a couple years ago. Just phenomenal. This 1 minute clip encapsulates so much for me. Funny, touching, sad, I miss him so much:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: February 25, 2018 18:49

I'm so glad George was remembered on IORR. Another one gone too soon.

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: February 25, 2018 18:51

Happy to say I saw him live during his 1974 US Tour, here in Atlanta, with Ravi Shankar.

Yes, his voice was shot, but no one really cared.

We just felt like we were in the presence of greatness.

(Tickets for that show were nine dollars! It actually seemed a little high back then, because concerts were always about five bucks.)

A brief clip that show:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: February 25, 2018 23:15

Thinking of George today...thumbs up

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: February 26, 2018 17:03

Who knew? How George became the most popular one.

[www.nbcnews.com]

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: February 26, 2018 18:11

Yep did a little memorial of this on my FB page...

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: February 26, 2018 18:17

George Harrison - Isn't It A Pity - Lyrics
[www.youtube.com]

Date: February 26, 2018 18:45

I've been thinking a lot about George of late, and the 1974 tour ever since I found this:
[www.youtube.com]

I was at that daytime show (and the one the night before--the one panned in Rolling Stone where he lectured the audience when they cried out requests for "Bangla Desh.") Oddly enough--and this is crazy now when you think about it--the early show wasn't even a sell out! Maybe they scheduled too many shows (George did three shows at the Forum and one at the nearby Long Beach Arena) But considering that it was the first time a BEATLE had toured America since 1966, and only a year since "Give Me Love" hit #1, you would think that they would have all been SRO.

At the day show there were so many open seats on the floor that when the lights went down, people from the high loge section rushed down to fill them (I was one of them!)

Hearing this show now, his voice wasn't as shot as I remember, certainly not as bad as he sounds on the "Dark Horse" single. (I wish he had re-recorded that one, like he did with "My Sweet Lord" on a CD reissued many years later, but he might have enjoyed the obvious "Dark Hoarse" joke too much to mess with it).

The fact that he played around with the arrangements--like Dylan does-- is something I appreciate more now than I did then. But messing with the words ("While My Guitar Gently Smiles" or on "In My Life" he sang "I loved God more") was unnecessary, and ruined the moment.

What blows me away now is the Ravi Shankar & Co. portion. Incredible stuff--you just get lost in it. It's too bad that George didn't use the opportunity to perform "Within You, Without You," "Love You To" "The Inner Light" with them. You have to give the audience credit for going along with it, because I'm sure 99% came to see George, not Ravi.

George played new songs like "Maya Love" that no one really warmed to, and that would have been OK if he had played more of his own recent solo work or Beatle songs. Billy Preston kicked up the energy with his hits. And while he sort of "saved" the show while George faltered, I remember thinking how dare he upstage a Beatle!

Eight months later on the same stage, Billy's mid-show solo set had the Stones as his backup band. Perhaps at that point he had really gone too far...

A few months after that Billy would be the first musical guest on NBC's Saturday Night (later Saturday Night Live). That twelve-month period was really the peak of his career.

I recently met a guy who was also at that matinee show who had very close seats on the floor, and sat right behind Bob Dylan--who brought his kids! Before the show this guy respectfully told Bob he was a fan and thanked him, and soon thereafter when people started approaching Dylan for autographs and all kinds of requests, Dylan would turn back to this guy like a confidant and offer a running commentary on the absurdity of what people wanted from him.

One more thought about Harrison in the 70's: What's forgotten now is how many Hare Krishna's used to be on city streets and airports (lampooned in the movie Airplane!) who would push literature at you with the line, "George Harrison told me to give you this!" While that wasn't his fault, as far as perceptions go, for awhile there George was like the Weird Holy Man of Rock n Roll, out of step with '70's popular culture.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-26 18:51 by loog droog.

Date: February 26, 2018 20:20

There's a ton of reasons it didn't sell. As you mention, he went full on with Ravi (which probably got around) and the new songs he was doing on that tour just weren't great. He had a great back catalogue, but he went on his first and only tour for what was not a great album, at least IMO. I don't know how that hurt attendance but I'm sure it didn't help. You would think just on the strength of his name alone he would have done really well, but just goes to show ya that the world is strange. Billy had that incredible rise then basically did nothing after SNL. Thankfully George seemed to live a very fulfilled life. Sad that that time ended up being so lost for him. But when you come out of the gate with Bangladesh concert and All Things Must Pass in the studio, both of those things are bound to go downhill afterwards.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: February 26, 2018 23:00

Date: February 26, 2018 23:09

Irix

[Twitter.com]
[www.youtube.com]
These memoriesgrinning smiley ?

Date: March 12, 2018 22:21

Never heard this Lennon interview from '75 before.

[www.youtube.com]

Really a nice one. He's in good spirits.

Seeing this, I miss him.

Date: March 12, 2018 22:59

Lennon was such a cool celebrity and musician. Yeah, I know he was far from perfect. Terrible to his first wife and kid, had some very strange and wrongheaded views about certain topics, and many other qualities that didn't make him a "role model." He was also a genius songwriter and didn't play the game. He maybe wasn't the first one to reject fame at his absolute height, but I'd argue he popularized it and strived to live his life like a normal human being, which he obviously wasn't but I truly think he attempted to do and wasn't an ego thing. He wasn't that predictable McCartney or Jagger in an interview trying to sell you something or stay within the lines of what "smart" rock star would do. He could potentially go off the reservation which he did many times. I personally look back on it now and find it refreshing that you never quite knew what he'd say and find stuff like the lyrics to God pretty ballsy and true. He had a very unique view on the world and he wasn't even my favorite Beatle and it kills me still that he never broke 40. So much untapped talent and I think of the bunch that has survived to their 60s and 70s, he would have been one of the funnest to watch. I've definitely seen this on Youtube before while clicking around but never watched it and plan to tonight. Such a tragic and harmless death. Makes me think back to Harry Nilsson's PSA's for gun control after this happened.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: March 12, 2018 23:44

loog droog

[www.youtube.com]

Seeing this, I miss him.

Wonderful interview. He's so relaxed in this.
Thanks for posting.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 12, 2018 23:51

Hadn't seen that before either. Thanks for posting.
Lost a lot when we lost John.

Doing a two day stop-over in Liverpool during my first UK visit for the tour.
Excited to check out all the attractions and area.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 13, 2018 00:03

Indeed a nice interview, I hardly know him like this, maybe it's because of his relation with May Pang ;o) although I think is his later years he become a bit milder

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: March 13, 2018 01:33

Tatty-bye Doddy.
[www.facebook.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: March 13, 2018 02:00

Deltics
loog droog

[www.youtube.com]

Seeing this, I miss him.

Wonderful interview. He's so relaxed in this.
Thanks for posting.

Agreed indeed. What a NICE interview.

It's how he should be remembered.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-13 02:03 by CaptainCorella.

O.T.: Sir Richard Starkey
Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: March 20, 2018 20:29

Looks like Ringo got his knighthood. While not a big fan of the knighting of celebrities, I am glad for Ringo. Actually, he is more than a celebrity. He is an artist who, along with the other Beatles, had a huge impact on the music world and the culture. If we have Sir Paul, why not Sir Ringo??

[www.bbc.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-20 20:33 by DaveG.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 20, 2018 21:26

Wow, that was a great interview with John! Also congratulations to Sir Ringo!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 21, 2018 02:45

Wyman's Monkey Grip sounds a lot like Ringo's solo albums. Same musicians )Preston, Keys, etc.?)

Date: March 21, 2018 04:31

loog droog

[www.youtube.com]

Seeing this, I miss him.

Fantastic interview. Never have seen John so relaxed and talkative. Bob H. always had a way of bringing it out of people. Although look at 4:05 Arrgh! haha...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...111112113114115116117118119120121...LastNext
Current Page: 116 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1743
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home