Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...203204205206207208209210211212213...LastNext
Current Page: 208 of 223
Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: January 10, 2023 23:21

It is one of the greatest songs.With perfect vocals and instrumentation

Posted by: Congratulations ()
Date: January 10, 2023 23:40

Taylor1

What is? Stoned?

Date: January 11, 2023 02:47

Congratulations
Taylor1

What is? Stoned?
You’d have to be stoned to say that about Stoned.Please Please Me

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: January 11, 2023 04:58

Could we Have one thread for the singles comparisons? It’s a cool idea if the OP is up for it. Just one thread and announce each week or whatever what singles are up for talking about.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-11 04:59 by Paddy.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: January 11, 2023 05:09

Paddy
Could we Have one thread for the singles comparisons? It’s a cool idea if the OP is up for it. Just one thread and announce each week or whatever what singles are up for talking about.

I originally did start this up as a new thread but it was then randomly placed here b/c it's Beatles related.

Date: January 11, 2023 10:04

Taylor1
Congratulations
Taylor1

What is? Stoned?
You’d have to be stoned to say that about Stoned.Please Please Me

'Stoned' is far more perfect to me (even when I'm sober). Again, that's why I'm on a RS forum...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-11 10:15 by Congratulations.

Date: January 11, 2023 10:17

JordyLicks96
Paddy

I originally did start this up as a new thread but it was then randomly placed here b/c it's Beatles related.

As you asked the question, what is your opinion?

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: January 11, 2023 10:20

It's funny how, all these years later, songs like "Love Me Do", "Please Please Me" and "I Want to Hold Your Hand" sound catchy and pleasant, but . . . very old.

But then you have the Stones playing "Not Fade Away", with Brian wailing away on the harmonica and it sounds timeless. I guess that's the benefit of the blues.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 12, 2023 17:29

drbryant
It's funny how, all these years later, songs like "Love Me Do", "Please Please Me" and "I Want to Hold Your Hand" sound catchy and pleasant, but . . . very old.

But then you have the Stones playing "Not Fade Away", with Brian wailing away on the harmonica and it sounds timeless. I guess that's the benefit of the blues.

Funny, as I was catching up on this thread, listening to "Ask Me Why" that is the exact thought I had. That much of the early Beatles music sounds very dated, in comparison to the Stones singles. Which is not to say that the Stones didn't have some songs that also sound dated, "Tell Me" immediately comes to mind - and not that I even dislike it, just that it sounds of its time - the Beatles just seem to have far more 'dated' material.

I also wonder if some of the early 'Beatles influence' was a part of what drove some of those 'poppy' early Stones tunes and and as they got more comfortable in their own songwriting abilities they quickly deviated from that Beatles 'template'.

When you look at the catalogues respectively now, 50-60 years later it's interesting that it's Stones songs that seem to appear in movies, televisions, commercials significantly more frequently than Beatles music. I know I'm not providing any actual evidence, more anecdotal but I do believe that is a solid observation.

In fact, I'm sure I'll be corrected here but is there any other band whose music appears more frequently in movies, tv or commercials than the Stones?

Posted by: stonesman87 ()
Date: January 12, 2023 22:34

frankotero
stonesman87. I looked all over the place and can't find anything. I think there is the full concert on a Japanese Label CD but I don't have it and there's no links that I know of. It's frustrationg because I'd love to hear these tracks as well. There are 2 didfffernt videos of My Wife on YouTube, both are audience, one is fairly decent but not good enough in my opinion. Good luck!

Hi frankotero, I still haven't found either of those two YT videos of My Wife. I presume you mean they are from 27.6.95. Can you post the links to them?

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: January 12, 2023 23:25

Very strange because there were 2 different concerts. Now it's just New Jersey 18 July 1995 on YouTube. For what it's worth I think this was the better sounding one. Type in My Wife Ringo Starr John Entwistle 1995 and you should see it.

Date: January 13, 2023 02:25

Congratulations
JordyLicks96
Paddy

Personally I'd go with Please Please Me. I Wanna Be Your Man is great but the great songwriting duo had yet to be established.

Date: January 13, 2023 02:26

JordyLicks96
Congratulations
JordyLicks96
Paddy

Personally I'd go with Please Please Me. I Wanna Be Your Man is great but the great songwriting duo had yet to be established.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 13, 2023 10:55

stonesman87

I still haven't found either of those two YT videos of My Wife. I presume you mean they are from 27.6.95. Can you post the links to them?

There're (currently) no YT-Videos from 27-Jun-1995 of John Entwistle's 'My Wife' by Ringo Starr & His All Starr Band in Tokyo (Nippon Budokan Hall). The available videos are from other 1995 shows - [iorr.org] .

Maybe it's better to ask on Beatles forums / bootleg sites - [iorr.org] .

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 16, 2023 15:02

When does the single debate continue? I hope it does Not Fade Away...

- Doxa

Date: January 16, 2023 15:14

drbryant

I think they don’t sound old. It is timeless great Beatles music as is the Stones’ music from that era.Play with Fire still gives me that ominous vibe. It is a mini masterpiece

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-16 15:38 by Taylor1.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: January 16, 2023 16:35

Two words in music "dated" and "irrelevent" confuse me. It's art and shouldn't matter. Never heard anyone say they dislike Rembrandt or Goya becuase their paintings are old.

The Rolling Stones vs The Beatles (UK Singles) (From Me to You & Not Fade Away)
Date: January 20, 2023 03:03

Today we take a look at the third singles from the Beatles and the Stones, From Me to You and Not Fade Away.

From Me to You / Thank You Girl released on 11 Apr 1963
Not Fade Away / Little By Little released on 21 Feb 1964

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-21 01:46 by JordyLicks96.

Re: The Rolling Stones vs The Beatles (UK Singles) (From Me to You & Not Fade Away)
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 20, 2023 03:11

JordyLicks96
From Me to You and Not Fade Away.

From Me to You released on 11 Apr 1963
Not Fade Away released on 21 Feb 1964

Easy! Not Fade Away! Amazing take, even if a cover (and I think From Me To You is great)

Date: January 20, 2023 04:03

Though it’s a cover Not Fade Away, From Me to You is a little twee for me.
I like the harmonica / guitar interaction on Not Fade Away, it’s simple but effective. This stones single makes me want to dance drunk more than the Beatles one!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 20, 2023 04:17

The Stones indeed come up with a mighty fine cover tune, but the Beatles continue to amaze and astound with their creativity, originality, musicality, etc. - here they've added another weapon to their arsenal which helped build their legacy as the #1 band of all time. From Me to You - another infectious original pop/rock ditty on every level -lyrically, musically, vocally, etc. - they were literally a four headed monster that couldn't be matched at this point while they blazed trails across the universe and beyond. You'd have to be semi-brain dead to not admire this tune at least on some level! But again, the Stones cover version of Not Fade Away is absolutely fantastic with it's Bo Diddley infused beat, though I personally think the Buddy Holly original can never be matched by anybody.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: January 20, 2023 05:10

Hairball
But again, the Stones cover version of Not Fade Away is absolutely fantastic with it's Bo Diddley infused beat,

Apparently when Bo met Brian Jones he told him that he (Brian) was the only other person who had ever managed to get that Bo Diddley beat right.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: January 20, 2023 05:22

Yet again, flip the singles over for a truer representation: 'Thank You Girl' is a nice pop-rocker, one that it's easy to imagine going down a storm at the Cavern; 'Little By Little' (although basically Jimmy Reed's 'Shame, Shame, Shame' with new lyrics), shows just how authentic the Stones could sound when performing pure Rhythm 'n' Blues.

Date: January 20, 2023 05:24

Bill Wymans bass ads a lot of snap and bounce to the beat.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 20, 2023 05:36

ROCKMAN

Date: January 20, 2023 05:55

It was even more exciting live! One of my all-time favourite live performances...

Date: January 20, 2023 08:21

Congratulations
It was even more exciting live! One of my all-time favourite live performances...

I was there. :-) An appropriate response in a thread that's supposed to be about Beatles vs Stones.... because The Beatles were also on the bill.

This same clip was among the colourised stuff that had a link here a few weeks ago.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: January 20, 2023 10:15

CaptainCorella
I was there. :-) An appropriate response in a thread that's supposed to be about Beatles vs Stones.... because The Beatles were also on the bill.

Oh wow! Can you recall if they did 1 or 2 more songs?

And were The Dave Clark Five any good? Their footage is missing!

The Beatles were incredibly sloppy that night ('You Can't Do That' sounds particularly unrehearsed).

Although he wasn''t there, 26th April 1964 was my father's 21st birthday (I wasn't there either, but I was only 15 months old!).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-20 10:17 by Congratulations.

Date: January 20, 2023 11:55

Congratulations
CaptainCorella

Oh wow! Can you recall if they did 1 or 2 more songs?

And were The Dave Clark Five any good? Their footage is missing!

The Beatles were incredibly sloppy that night ('You Can't Do That' sounds particularly unrehearsed).

Although he wasn''t there, 26th April 1964 was my father's 21st birthday (I wasn't there either, but I was only 15 months old!).

Sorry - don't recall. Those shows were VERY tightly run - after all they had loads of 'groups' to get through. The start of this clip is clearly when they come on (no pun intended) and the end is when they left. Study the bit between songs to see if there looks like an edit. The full list has to be in someone's database!

DC5 not my favourite band. Were they there? DC has recast their history to present them as having been a close second to The Beatles in popularity - which frankly is not the case. DC is a very smart investor and given that he owns RSG! (I hate to say it, but good for him for saving the footage) he may own this as well and may have chosen to edit out a bad performance.

Good Grief. Your father is older even than me! I hope he's' well and plans to pass on his record collection to you.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: January 20, 2023 12:38

DC5 were definitely there, though strangely aren't on the 2 hour circulating edit (Cliff Richard and The Shadows are missing from it too, but at least some news clips survive to confirm that they performed).

I like the DC5 alot, but it was for only a few months that they were 2nd to The Beatles... in the USA, not the UK. They were quickly overtaken by Herman's Hermits. Strange to think now how The Rolling Stones took a while to make a real impact in the US. They probably needed popular Beat Combos like The Beatles and DC5 to pave the way first.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-20 12:48 by Congratulations.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...203204205206207208209210211212213...LastNext
Current Page: 208 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1777
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home