Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...197198199200201202203204205206207...LastNext
Current Page: 202 of 223
Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 10, 2022 15:28

Spud
I think I'm glad they are B Class grinning smiley

Certainly a respite for the wallet!

Not that I would have bought it, but scanning through the titles there is a fair amount of shite in there.

It'll be expensive, and because of the limited nature it'll be a collector's dream but it's not going to be good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-10 15:33 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 10, 2022 15:55

I don't really have anything against the "stamp collecting " side of things .

If folks are going to buy and enjoy owning these products ...then great.

The only thing that really winds me up is when new or previously unreleased material is made available only as a part of some expensive "deluxe " package, most which you already have five times over !

...and the Stones have been far from innocent of that offence !

Date: November 10, 2022 16:02

Spud
I don't really have anything against the "stamp collecting " side of things .

If folks are going to buy and enjoy owning these products ...then great.

The only thing that really winds me up is when new or previously unreleased material is made available only as a part of some expensive "deluxe " package, most which you already have five times over !

...and the Stones have been far from innocent of that offence !

For sure. I guess if you're strictly in it for that song, and not the physical product the relatively inexpensive way to go is with the downloads. Seems like you're still getting duplicates of a lot but at least it is in the highest quality digital form.

Date: November 10, 2022 16:05

I'm a vinyl junkie I'm afraid ...an uncomfortable bed ...but one I made myself grinning smiley

Date: November 10, 2022 16:11

Spud
I'm a vinyl junkie I'm afraid ...an uncomfortable bed ...but one I made myself grinning smiley

What makes it particularly uncomfortable is when you're the vinyl junkie ON TOP OF being the stamp collector.

Who can be satisfied with ONLY one copy?!

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: November 10, 2022 16:15

Irix
CaptainCorella

He's now releasing 80 7" singles (159 tracks)

The 7” Singles

02-Dec-2022 - [www.Qobuz.com] , [Music.Apple.com] .

"It's called The 7" Singles Box and will be released on 2 December 2022 in an extraordinary edition personally curated by Paul McCartney: it's Vinyl and limited to only 3,000 copies (all numbered). The box is in a wooden box designed and assembled in the UK, and includes a 148-page book with an essay by Rob Sheffield. The collection will also be available on streaming platforms" - [www.Rockol.it] - (in Italian).

$735!!!

Date: November 10, 2022 17:07

treaclefingers
Spud

What makes it particularly uncomfortable is when you're the vinyl junkie ON TOP OF being the stamp collector.

Quite so Treacle grinning smiley.

I'm not a "stamp collector " in the true sense ...but I do tend to buy most vinyl re-releases or re-masterings out of hopeful curiosity as to how they will sound and compare.

They are often an interesting alternative listen, and sometimes very good.

The half speed mastered BB for example is definitely worth owning alongside a good original pressing .

Some, on the other hand, are appalling and typical contenders in today's how loud can we cut it competition ! grinning smiley

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 10, 2022 17:11

The 7” Singles Box - out 2 December 2022 - [www.PaulMcCartney.com] , [SuperDeluxeEdition.com] :

[Twitter.com] , [Twitter.com] , [www.Universal-Music.co.jp] , [Shop.PaulMcCartney.com] - US-$ 611.98 .

Date: November 10, 2022 18:05

VoodooLounge13

$735!!!

Subject of the next thread then: "A Paul McCartney Ticket -OR- the new 7" Singles Box ?" - [iorr.org] . winking smiley

Date: November 10, 2022 19:46

Irix
VoodooLounge13

$735!!!

Subject of the next thread then: "A Paul McCartney Ticket -OR- the new 7" Singles Box ?" - [iorr.org] . winking smiley

That's easy, a Stones ticket! (or new mono box set...in COLOURED VINYL!)

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 10, 2022 20:00

that box id be handy ta put Stones singles in ....

ROCKMAN

Date: November 10, 2022 20:37

Irix
VoodooLounge13

$735!!!

LMFAOOO!!! Great one!

Date: November 10, 2022 20:37

Rockman
that box id be handy ta put Stones singles in ....

Tis a great box!!

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: November 10, 2022 22:29

treaclefingers
Spud

Indeed.

A TRUE collector buys THREE (3) of everything.

One to use, one to keep unopened on display, and a third to trade.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: November 10, 2022 22:45

CaptainCorella

A TRUE collector buys THREE (3) of everything. One to use, one to keep unopened on display, and a third to trade.

Hence the limitation of 2 per customer .... [Shop.PaulMcCartney.com] .

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 11, 2022 01:09

Concert for George - 20th Anniversary One-Night-Only Global Theatrical Event

Celebrating the life and music of George Harrison with a one-night-only global theatrical screening of CONCERT FOR GEORGE. In select theaters November 29, 2022. For tickets and more info: [www.concertforgeorge.com]

Date: November 11, 2022 17:24

CaptainCorella
treaclefingers
Spud

Indeed.

A TRUE collector buys THREE (3) of everything.

One to use, one to keep unopened on display, and a third to trade.

OK...that explains the first 3.

Date: November 11, 2022 17:25

Irix
CaptainCorella

A TRUE collector buys THREE (3) of everything. One to use, one to keep unopened on display, and a third to trade.

Hence the limitation of 2 per customer .... [Shop.PaulMcCartney.com] .

So thoughtful, they offer interest free financing.

These are troubling times and nice to see Sir Paul doing his bit to help.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: November 11, 2022 17:35

Irix
VoodooLounge13

$735!!!

You kidding me, Irix (winking smiley). A Rolling Stones concert ticket(s) off course grinning smiley

smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: November 11, 2022 18:18

Cristiano Radtke

Celebrating the life and music of George Harrison with a one-night-only global theatrical screening of CONCERT FOR GEORGE. In select theaters November 29, 2022. For tickets and more info: [www.concertforgeorge.com]

I would love to see this on a big screen but it clashes with England vs Wales in the World Cup (UK time).

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 12, 2022 10:44

For those who’ve heard it, what’s your view on this new Revolver stereo-mix? I have to say, for me, after being so, so used to the original stereo effort, it’s an odd listen. Taxman is a very, very different listening experience. Whilst I think that, overall, it’s a good effort, I certainly won’t be discarding the original. Revolver is one of my favourite albums, and I feel attached to the mix I know best, flaws and all.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 12, 2022 11:50

Big AL, I'm inclined to agree with your opinion. I have this problem with almost all re-issues. However, I'm real pleased with the Revolver set as a final product, everything in one box.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 12, 2022 12:09

frankotero
Big AL, I'm inclined to agree with your opinion. I have this problem with almost all re-issues. However, I'm really pleased with the Revolver set as a final product, everything in one box.

Yes, overall, I’m pleased too. It’s just that I’m leaning towards the original stereo in terms of preference. I’m sure I’m not alone in a having a preference to what you’re accustomed to. What i will say, however: the mono-mix of Paperback Writer is truly superb. There’s so much punch in the - almost - attack-like guitar-riff. It really leaps-out. The stereo mix is excellent, also.

I’m one of those who has no general preference to mono or stereo. Some albums are better in mono; others in stereo. And, with an old act like the Beatles, it really comes down to what your own listening-experience has been all these years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-12 12:12 by Big Al.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 12, 2022 15:32

I like the crispness of it - that said, there's nothing wrong with the original.

Ginger or Mary Ann? Ya can't lose....

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 12, 2022 19:45

Again, in total agreement with Big Al and Elmo toosmileys with beer

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 16, 2022 06:18

From Pitchfork.com:

Paul McCartney, Elton John, and More Discuss Abbey Road in New Documentary Trailer
Mary McCartney’s If These Walls Could Sing arrives on Disney+ next month

By Jazz Monroe
November 14, 2022

The first trailer for If These Walls Could Sing, Mary McCartney’s new documentary on Abbey Road Studios, premiered today (via Rolling Stone). The film arrives on Disney+ on December 16, in line with the studios’ 90th anniversary. Interviewees in the trailer include Paul McCartney, Elton John, Ringo Starr, Nile Rodgers, Noel Gallagher, Roger Waters, Celeste, and George Lucas, whose Star Wars soundtracks were partly recorded at Abbey Road. Watch it below. Earlier this month, Paul McCartney (who is Mary’s father) announced a vinyl box set containing 80 7" singles. Peter Jackson’s Let It Be documentary Get Back came out last year. Read “The Beatles: Get Back Rewrites the Fab Four’s Ending.”

Video description:
“If These Walls Could Sing,” a Disney Original Documentary, gives exclusive access to the most famous and longest-running studio in the world, Abbey Road Studios. In this personal film of memory and discovery,
director Mary McCartney guides us through nine decades to tell the stories of some of the studio’s most iconic recordings — and the people who made them happen.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 9, 2022 01:16

This three-part TV film—Peter Jackson’s movie made out of footage shot by Michael Lindsay-Hogg for the Beatles’ Let It Be sessions in 1969—has been greeted as all but a Beatles reunion and poured over as if it were a cross between the Talmud and a codex to the group’s next 50 years. In fact, it's an exercise in cutting. Either because Jackson didn’t trust the audience, the music, or the 60 hours of film he had to work with, except for a disturbing hidden-camera recording of John and Paul trying to come to terms with what the future might be, and at moments a thrilling six-part split screen version of the final rooftop show, almost nothing taking place in rehearsals or in the recording sessions—verbal back and forth, or all the diving into old songs, working out new ones—is allowed to play out at its true length, in real time. Everything is chopped up, to the point that while nothing is ever boring, nothing is realized, and the emotional foundation of what is at once a great tragedy, a small triumph, and a turning point, or ending point, in modern history, is lost.

At one point, John brings up Elvis’s “My Baby Left Me,” with Paul on drums, Slim Harpo’s “High-Heel Sneakers,” and Elvis’s “Milkcow Blues Boogie”—with Jackson giving seconds for each. You want to hear more. You want to hear it all. You want to hear the songs break down, come to a sudden end, find their purchase on the story—whatever happened. And no. The movie presents itself as the story of a quest—to find the music for a TV show, a new album, a show with an audience (at a Roman amphitheater in Libya, a hill, or somewhere)—but it’s all process. You hear Paul read the entirety of a newspaper attack on the new, “bizarre” Beatles, but not a song is ever treated in the same way.

And all the press about how the movie shows that, no, Yoko didn’t break up the Beatles? Whether anyone ever really claimed that or not—not that it’s unknown for a new spouse to try to separate his or her own new spouse from his or her old friends—the question of whether the Beatles broke up at least partly because of Yoko is something else. “If it’s Yoko or the Beatles,” Paul says at one point to Ringo and George, simply stating a fact about the couple in the room, attached to each other as if each is the other’s parasitic twin, “it’s Yoko.” For that matter, there’s Amanda Hess in the New York Times going into raptures about the charm and fascination of watching Yoko’s impassive face in every scene of music-making in the film—if you think bringing a human-size replica of the Sphinx into the room is going to be anyone else’s idea of a good time. And then hearing John lumber into “Don’t Let Me Down” again and again, and again, and again, telling you in his heroin-thickened voice what a great @#$%& Yoko is—how did that turn out to be a great record?

There’s John parodying Martin Luther King’s “I had a dream this afternoon,” then not a parody: King, he says, was “like a poet, he would have been president—‘I had a dream,’ like Tennyson.” Was there more of this?

You see Paul doing Eddie Cochran’s “Twenty Flight Rock” in his Elvis voice—he makes you realize how good a song it is. You want to hear the Beatles play it. You want every moment that’s left out.

You could not make a soundtrack album out of this film.

With everyone in the studio, you get Yoko shrieking over “Twist and Shout” picked up by Linda Eastman’s six-year-old daughter Heather who holds a mic and shrieks right back—she’s better.

Near the end, you begin to lose any sense of “the Beatles.” It’s just four or five people in a room. And then they’re up on the roof playing their last show. There are cops coming up to shut it down because of noise complaints. It’s like a 1950s prom crisis movie where the police or the principal are about to shut down the rock & roll dance party when they find themselves tapping their feet. Except here you can’t help but suspect the cops were hired to play just this role.

There is one signal moment that, as editing, is also filmmaking, isolating a moment that brings everything else into relief, yet allowing that situation to hold its shape in time. After George walks out on a Friday, in his words having “left” the band, and John doesn’t show up for the session on Monday, Paul looks over at Ringo. He’s been the most inviting and heartbreaking presence all through the film, rarely speaking (though at one point when the film they’re supposed to be making seems farther away than ever, he drops one thought: “Let’s make a silent movie”), at any time breaking into his quick-time slapstick one-second jitter dance. “…And then there were two,” Paul says—and the gong goes off. History comes crashing down like a mountain. Fifty-two years collapse into you like a curse.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 12, 2022 06:54

Cristiano Radtke

This is not of that, obviously. Beautiful.

From Georgefest 2014. A magnificent voice, Ian Astbury.

OT - Ringo Starr VH1 Storytellers video
Posted by: stonesman87 ()
Date: December 23, 2022 21:35

Can anybody post any links to get the video "Ringo Starr VH1 Storytellers" from 1998?

Re: OT - Ringo Starr VH1 Storytellers video
Date: December 23, 2022 23:40

It's on bootleg DVD-Rs - [www.Jagamart.com] , [www.KVideoDVD.com] . 2008 version - [www.RockConcertDVD.net] , [www.Storenvy.com] .

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...197198199200201202203204205206207...LastNext
Current Page: 202 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1757
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home