Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...195196197198199200201202203204205...LastNext
Current Page: 200 of 223
Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 25, 2022 02:28

Not that it ever happen ....but fun to watch.................

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 25, 2022 04:40

Doxa
In regard to SGT. PEPPER vs. SATANIC MAJESTIES issue, it is funny how history has treated those albums.

There was a time when PEPPER was seen as the best album ever done, always making number one on whatever 'best albums ever' list. It was like a non-disputed fact of rock history. But nowadays the album, despite its historical significance recognized, is not seen even the best Beatles album by many. Its glory has to an extent disappeared.

SATANIC MAJESTIES, by contrast, was, according to the same official rock canon, for years seen as a total failure in Stones career. Clearly their worst moment, a flop, an embarrassing side-step and whatever. But funnily, nowadays its reputation starts to be much better, it even making people's top ten Stones albums lists, etc. The hipsters digging 60's weirdeness, see it as a hidden masterpiece. It is a cult classic in certain psychedelia circles.

- Doxa

It's all about context. At the time and for quite a while - decades - PEPPER was the it album. Then DARK SIDE OF THE MOON came along. Led Zeppelin. But PEPPER still contained context.

The cultural context of PEPPERS and various other albums has been slowly eroded by (enter whatever here regarding whatever decade). It's not necessarily a generational thing - there's still context, but these days more so in regard to then and what it meant, so it loses its historical weight.

I could be wrong. It's just a way to look at it.

Does it matter? PEPPER being whatever doesn't prevent war or cancer or invent new technology for... so... it's just music.

Whoever goes to sleep at night furious that someone thinks PEPPER is great and MAJESTIES is crap has issues. It doesn't really matter.

But yeah, it's fun to trash talk about - even if the trash talk is accurate.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 25, 2022 05:15

Witness
treaclefingers
walkingthedog
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
walkingthedog
GasLightStreet

You make fun of Number 9 - have you listened to THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST? A complete joke of an album. A wanna be album with 4 of the 10 songs being worthy of release. Still better than DIRTY WORK. But just as bad: embarrassments of the catalogue.

You are being very unreasonable here. Revolution 9 is a mess of a sound collage - devoid of any musical ideas. SATANIC is filled with actual songs. Even the long improvisation has many interesting twists and turns. I cite from a Rateyourmusic review: "The song is other worldly, filled with shimmering electronics, gentle textures, hypnotic voices, blistering held in check guitars, and can be matched by nothing done any other group from the times." The only song I think is substandard is actually the opening song Sing This All Together. All the other songs are very good.And the album is truly psychedelic, as opposed to the not so psychedelic Sgt.Pepper.

Oh.

Okay.

You site something that says a lot of nothing, especially the fanboy joke of "can be matched by nothing done any other group from the times" and then quote SGT PEPPERS as being "not to psychedelic"... is there a level that determines it?

One could easily say TSMR, a pathetic album with some great songs, is stupid and a hilarious attempt at copying SGT PEPPERS, a great album with great songs.

Actually 1 in a million people DO THINK that TSMR is better thank Sgt Pepper, so how bout that huh buster?!

AND, TSMR is regularly considered the 42nd best studio album the Rolling Stones has ever released!

Well, you know, a sail boat can have its sails up period!

TSMR is ranked the 8th best LP by the Stones on Rateyourmusic, on the same level as Out Of Our Heads and Goats Head Soup, above IORR. Clearly your knowledge of the Stones discography is limited.

Alright settle down with the insults, we're all just having a bit of fun. You can prefer TSMR to anything you want, and I personally love the little psychedelic side trip the band took. However broadly speaking there is no comparison with which is the better, musically and more culturally and historically significant album.

And I for one don't even 'prefer' Sgt. Pepper to TSMR, but I have the clarity of thought to understand that it just is better, often considered the best Beatles album, or at least one of the best.

I don't think many would say TSMR is the best Stones album...not even top 10.

When I decades ago was liberated from the personal restricting consequences of having a narrow hierarchy of Rolling Stones albums (for quite long with BEGGARS BANQUET at the very top), I learnt instead to have approximately 12 Rolling Stones albums as their great ones, without internal ranking. Among those twelve, there is THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST. That is, fully on par with their four following studio albums, mark that. In fact, on it's release, I was for some time much saddened by the new direction for the band that BEGGARS BANQUET indicated. So much had I loved the two albums released in 1967, I still do.

And much as I may appreciate SGT PEPPERS, I like better and find as better THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST. Aware that the former was more important in the development in pop music at large outside the Stones and the Beatles.

I'm not sure I would find it quite top 12, but it is an enjoyable album for sure and again, much better that we have this than not.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: October 25, 2022 08:07

treaclefingers
Witness
treaclefingers
walkingthedog
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
walkingthedog
GasLightStreet

You make fun of Number 9 - have you listened to THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST? A complete joke of an album. A wanna be album with 4 of the 10 songs being worthy of release. Still better than DIRTY WORK. But just as bad: embarrassments of the catalogue.

You are being very unreasonable here. Revolution 9 is a mess of a sound collage - devoid of any musical ideas. SATANIC is filled with actual songs. Even the long improvisation has many interesting twists and turns. I cite from a Rateyourmusic review: "The song is other worldly, filled with shimmering electronics, gentle textures, hypnotic voices, blistering held in check guitars, and can be matched by nothing done any other group from the times." The only song I think is substandard is actually the opening song Sing This All Together. All the other songs are very good.And the album is truly psychedelic, as opposed to the not so psychedelic Sgt.Pepper.

Oh.

Okay.

You site something that says a lot of nothing, especially the fanboy joke of "can be matched by nothing done any other group from the times" and then quote SGT PEPPERS as being "not to psychedelic"... is there a level that determines it?

One could easily say TSMR, a pathetic album with some great songs, is stupid and a hilarious attempt at copying SGT PEPPERS, a great album with great songs.

Actually 1 in a million people DO THINK that TSMR is better thank Sgt Pepper, so how bout that huh buster?!

AND, TSMR is regularly considered the 42nd best studio album the Rolling Stones has ever released!

TSMR is ranked the 8th best LP by the Stones on Rateyourmusic, on the same level as Out Of Our Heads and Goats Head Soup, above IORR. Clearly your knowledge of the Stones discography is limited.

Alright settle down with the insults, we're all just having a bit of fun. You can prefer TSMR to anything you want, and I personally love the little psychedelic side trip the band took. However broadly speaking there is no comparison with which is the better, musically and more culturally and historically significant album.

And I for one don't even 'prefer' Sgt. Pepper to TSMR, but I have the clarity of thought to understand that it just is better, often considered the best Beatles album, or at least one of the best.

When I decades ago was liberated from the personal restricting consequences of having a narrow hierarchy of Rolling Stones albums (for quite long with BEGGARS BANQUET at the very top), I learnt instead to have approximately 12 Rolling Stones albums as their great ones, without internal ranking. Among those twelve, there is THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST. That is, fully on par with their four following studio albums, mark that. In fact, on it's release, I was for some time much saddened by the new direction for the band that BEGGARS BANQUET indicated. So much had I loved the two albums released in 1967, I still do.

And much as I may appreciate SGT PEPPERS, I like better and find as better THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST. Aware that the former was more important in the development in pop music at large outside the Stones and the Beatles.

I'm not sure I would find it quite top 12, but it is an enjoyable album for sure and again, much better that we have this than not.

Well, I did not say that THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST in my view is a top 12 album. Instead, I placed it as a tied number ONE among approximately 12 studio albums by the Stones.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 25, 2022 08:18

HEY YEAH ....

I placed it as a tied number ONE among approximately 12 studio albums by the Stones.

Answer of thee year .......

Go witness .... cant corner you .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: October 26, 2022 11:30

A lot of it is when you grew up , when you first began listening to rock and roll.
If you grew up in the 70s the Beatles were nothing to you.
Think of what they were doing, it was somewhere between pop songs and horrible.
Imagine and Maybe I’m amazed were good but the rest of it, John and Paul both had their totally talentless wives in their bands, Ram, sometime in New York, plastic ono band with every other song with yoko in the title.
George was a Hari Krishna, my god the bizarre people who tried to pin flowers on you at the airport.
What was happening out there, Sticky Fingers, Exile, Who’s Next, Quadrophenia, Led Zeppelin 1 thru 4 and then The Floyd dropped Dark side and everyone just said oh man, wtf fck.
At the same time these icons were hitting their stride glam rock was happening, time had moved on from the Beatles.

Unfortunately as the old saying goes “ death is a great career move” when Lennon died in 1980 Beatles gained a new life.
Fair enough but to many of us a lot of the 1960s music just doesn’t stand the test of time, it was surpassed many times over.
It’s really a musical version of the old tale of “ the emperor’s new clothes” .

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 26, 2022 13:09

Haha, lem you’re too much. Are you really trying to say there’s no Beatles Fans? Just because John died that helped bring attention to them, haha. I hate to say it but I haven’t noticed a surge in Stones Fans since Charlie passed. Maybe it’s because they’re from the 1960s?

Date: October 26, 2022 16:14

Witness
treaclefingers
Witness
treaclefingers
walkingthedog
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
walkingthedog
GasLightStreet

Oh.

Okay.

Well, I did not say that THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST in my view is a top 12 album. Instead, I placed it as a tied number ONE among approximately 12 studio albums by the Stones.

Apologies, I will rephrase. I'm not sure I would find it quite tied number ONE among approximately 12 studio albums by the Stones, but probably just 'bubbling under' at about 14th or 15th place.

Date: October 26, 2022 18:10

TRACK BY TRACK...listing Sgt. Pepper vs. TSMR in order of 'goodness'...hey, don't blame me. THIS IS SCIENCE!!

1. A Day In The Life
2. She's A Rainbow
3. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
4. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
5. 2000 Man
6. 2000 Light Years From Home
7. Fixing A Hole
8. A Little Help From My Friends
9. Citadel
10. In Another Land
11. Getting Better
12. She's Leaving Home
13. The Lantern
14. Within and Without You
15. Being For The Benefit of Mr. Kite
16. When I'm 64
17. Sgt. Pepper Reprise
18. On With The Show
19. Good Morning, Good Morning
20. Lovely Rita
21. Sing This Song Altogether
22. Gomper
23. Sing This Song Altogether (See What Happens)

Date: October 26, 2022 19:32

treaclefingers
TRACK BY TRACK...listing Sgt. Pepper vs. TSMR in order of 'goodness'...hey, don't blame me. THIS IS SCIENCE!!

1. A Day In The Life
2. She's A Rainbow
5. 2000 Man
7. Fixing A Hole
9. Citadel
10. In Another Land
11. Getting Better
12. She's Leaving Home
13. The Lantern
16. When I'm 64
17. Sgt. Pepper Reprise
18. On With The Show
20. Lovely Rita
22. Gomper

That is the atomistic approach. An alternative is to experience the albums as wholes. (As you make a call for science, treacle: Within science, the former would probably be seen as socalled 'methodological individualism').

By the way, for me the key to start loving THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST as album, in contrast to appreciating many of the various songs, was when I began to love "Gomper".

Posted by: walkingthedog ()
Date: October 26, 2022 20:40

Doxa
In regard to SGT. PEPPER vs. SATANIC MAJESTIES issue, it is funny how history has treated those albums.

There was a time when PEPPER was seen as the best album ever done, always making number one on whatever 'best albums ever' list. It was like a non-disputed fact of rock history. But nowadays the album, despite its historical significance recognized, is not seen even the best Beatles album by many. Its glory has to an extent disappeared.

SATANIC MAJESTIES, by contrast, was, according to the same official rock canon, for years seen as a total failure in Stones career. Clearly their worst moment, a flop, an embarrassing side-step and whatever. But funnily, nowadays its reputation starts to be much better, it even making people's top ten Stones albums lists, etc. The hipsters digging 60's weirdeness, see it as a hidden masterpiece. It is a cult classic in certain psychedelia circles.

- Doxa

Great news that people are getting around to realize that TSMR is a very good album. Personally I discovered this in 1967.

Date: October 26, 2022 22:35

Witness
treaclefingers

1. A Day In The Life
2. She's A Rainbow
5. 2000 Man
7. Fixing A Hole
9. Citadel
10. In Another Land
11. Getting Better
12. She's Leaving Home
13. The Lantern
16. When I'm 64
17. Sgt. Pepper Reprise
18. On With The Show
20. Lovely Rita
22. Gomper

That is the atomistic approach. An alternative is to experience the albums as wholes. (As you make a call for science, treacle: Within science, the former would probably be seen as socalled 'methodological individualism').

By the way, for me the key to start loving THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST as album, in contrast to appreciating many of the various songs, was when I began to love "Gomper".

They have an over-the-counter treatment for that now Witness. Provides up to 4 hours of relief!

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: October 26, 2022 23:40

treaclefingers

1. A Day In The Life
2. She's A Rainbow
5. 2000 Man
7. Fixing A Hole
9. Citadel
10. In Another Land
11. Getting Better
12. She's Leaving Home
13. The Lantern
16. When I'm 64
17. Sgt. Pepper Reprise
18. On With The Show
20. Lovely Rita
22. Gomper

Wrong with your first choice, it's really a boring song. She's a Rainbow tops it easily.

Date: October 26, 2022 23:50

treaclefingers
Witness

They have an over-the-counter treatment for that now Witness. Provides up to 4 hours of relief!

smiling bouncing smiley Nice! Fabulous answer!

Nonetheless! My take on "Gomper" is seriously meant as much as any other post from me.

It springs from the same inclination that I also have in favour of for instance the German group Tangerine Dream's albums ATEM (1973) and PHAEDRA (1974).

Date: October 27, 2022 03:56

Witness
treaclefingers
Witness

smiling bouncing smiley Nice! Fabulous answer!

Nonetheless! My take on "Gomper" is seriously meant as much as any other post from me.

It springs from the same inclination that I also have in favour of for instance the German group Tangerine Dream's albums ATEM (1973) and PHAEDRA (1974).

and I will say for the record I do not dislike ANY TSMR tracks. I enjoy all of them.

Date: October 27, 2022 05:06

walkingthedog
Doxa

- Doxa

Great news that people are getting around to realize that TSMR is a very good album. Personally I discovered this in 1967.

It's a miniscule amount of people that are hearing a "very good" album. People nonetheless. They've most likely heard way much more better albums.

Date: October 27, 2022 15:41

MKjan
treaclefingers

1. A Day In The Life
2. She's A Rainbow
5. 2000 Man
7. Fixing A Hole
9. Citadel
10. In Another Land
11. Getting Better
12. She's Leaving Home
13. The Lantern
16. When I'm 64
17. Sgt. Pepper Reprise
18. On With The Show
20. Lovely Rita
22. Gomper

Wrong with your first choice, it's really a boring song. She's a Rainbow tops it easily.

You dare question the scientific method? Who in the hell do you think you are?!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 27, 2022 15:44

walkingthedog
Doxa

- Doxa

I've never understood Stones' fans who don't like Satanic Majesty's. It's a great psychedelic album with a couple of clunkers on there but otherwise among the greatest UK psych albums.

Date: October 27, 2022 16:17

treaclefingers

This is killing mesmiling smiley. For the record I basically like TSMR, there's a few I don't love though.smileys with beer

Date: October 27, 2022 17:53

frankotero
treaclefingers

This is killing mesmiling smiley. For the record I basically like TSMR, there's a few I don't love though.smileys with beer

I think a lot of the 'disdain' for the album is a result of the cover...it is fairly obviously a 'wannabe' of Pepper, dressing up, the colour of the album, etc.

Had they just done something totally different ie the maze...had the maze been the cover, you wouldn't have had the direct comparisons to Pepper and all the disdain that went with it. BUT, you may not have had 'the need' by the band to prove themselves again, so maybe we don't get JJF or Beggar's? And that definitely was the choicest path for them to have gone onto.

Is it an amazing album? No. Does it have some amazing songs? Yes.

Is it a worthwhile addition to the canon? Absolutely. 3 or 3.5 starts out of 5.

Date: October 27, 2022 18:52

thumbs up treacle

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 27, 2022 20:35

Big Al

My one wish: please can they one day release the mono mixes as standalone releases. Again, with this set, the mono mix is only available as part of the super-deluxe box. Why not release this mic as part of the 2-CD offer?

The Revolver Mono-Tracks are also available digitally in the Super-Deluxe-release as download (lossless CD-Quality) - [www.Qobuz.com] - and you could burn them onto a black CD-R in mini-LP design.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: October 28, 2022 00:06

Look, what they put in the booklet for Revolver winking smiley

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: October 28, 2022 00:18

treaclefingers
MKjan
treaclefingers

1. A Day In The Life
2. She's A Rainbow
5. 2000 Man
7. Fixing A Hole
9. Citadel
10. In Another Land
11. Getting Better
12. She's Leaving Home
13. The Lantern
16. When I'm 64
17. Sgt. Pepper Reprise
18. On With The Show
20. Lovely Rita
22. Gomper

I'm the man who walks the hillside in the sweet summer sun.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 28, 2022 04:59

Found this clip on the Dylan Expecting Rain site

Interesting

[www.youtube.com]

This too

[www.youtube.com]

Date: October 28, 2022 05:13

MKjan
treaclefingers
MKjan
treaclefingers

1. A Day In The Life
2. She's A Rainbow
5. 2000 Man
7. Fixing A Hole
9. Citadel
10. In Another Land
11. Getting Better
12. She's Leaving Home
13. The Lantern
16. When I'm 64
17. Sgt. Pepper Reprise
18. On With The Show
20. Lovely Rita
22. Gomper

I'm the man who walks the hillside in the sweet summer sun.

Well I'd love to spill the beans with you till dawn, but not if you refuse to accept the scientific method I've practiced!

Date: October 28, 2022 05:25

treaclefingers
frankotero
treaclefingers

I think a lot of the 'disdain' for the album is a result of the cover...it is fairly obviously a 'wannabe' of Pepper, dressing up, the colour of the album, etc.

Had they just done something totally different ie the maze...had the maze been the cover, you wouldn't have had the direct comparisons to Pepper and all the disdain that went with it. BUT, you may not have had 'the need' by the band to prove themselves again, so maybe we don't get JJF or Beggar's? And that definitely was the choicest path for them to have gone onto.

LOL yeah - how bad is DIRTY WORK? Listen to this one!

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: October 28, 2022 05:43

Another review of the reissue of "Revolver"

[www.theguardian.com]

(Here's another question for y'all.... In this context was the world "reissue" above the correct word to use?)

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: October 28, 2022 06:39

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
frankotero
treaclefingers

LOL yeah - how bad is DIRTY WORK? Listen to this one!

Dirty Work is on another level of badness.

But that said, even DW has a couple of redeeming numbers. It's like they're incapable of putting out only crap.

I generally dislike Bridges, but there are 4-5 tracks which I think are great, a couple even excellent.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: October 28, 2022 09:16

frankotero
Haha, lem you’re too much. Are you really trying to say there’s no Beatles Fans? Just because John died that helped bring attention to them, haha. I hate to say it but I haven’t noticed a surge in Stones Fans since Charlie passed. Maybe it’s because they’re from the 1960s?

This is why I use the term Beatletards, you just start saying incoherent shit when the Beatles are challenged in some way.
Let me walk you through this- Elvis fans, 1950s
In the 70s Elvis was an old fat guy with aunts and moms swooning over him, a joke.

Until 77, when Elvis passed he was no longer seen in the present, his life and career was looked at in retrospect.all the cool rockstars talked about his influence and rock fans young and old paid respect.

In the 70s the Beatles didn’t exist as a group, like Elvis they were a joke. 60s leftovers making out of touch music.their fans were older brothers and sisters who probably bought Imagine and had Abbey Road etc.
If you were 16 in 1975 you were buying Physical Graffiti and Wish you were here , not a Beatles record that came out when you were a little kid.
I’m sorry,that’s just how it was.
When John passed the same thing happened , there was no more Elvis and there would be no more Beatles.
Again fans young and old then placed them on their pedestal.

Bringing up Charlie, more Beatletard.
There is still a touring and recording Rolling Stones in case you haven’t noticed.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...195196197198199200201202203204205...LastNext
Current Page: 200 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1737
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home