Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...194195196197198199200201202203204...LastNext
Current Page: 199 of 223
Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 22, 2022 20:52

Revolver... obviously a boy band album. I can sense the girls screaming during Eleanor Rigbywinking smiley Poor Robbie Williams got a lot to live up to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-22 21:14 by frankotero.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 23, 2022 05:00

walkingthedog
GasLightStreet

You make fun of Number 9 - have you listened to THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST? A complete joke of an album. A wanna be album with 4 of the 10 songs being worthy of release. Still better than DIRTY WORK. But just as bad: embarrassments of the catalogue.

You are being very unreasonable here. Revolution 9 is a mess of a sound collage - devoid of any musical ideas. SATANIC is filled with actual songs. Even the long improvisation has many interesting twists and turns. I cite from a Rateyourmusic review: "The song is other worldly, filled with shimmering electronics, gentle textures, hypnotic voices, blistering held in check guitars, and can be matched by nothing done any other group from the times." The only song I think is substandard is actually the opening song Sing This All Together. All the other songs are very good.And the album is truly psychedelic, as opposed to the not so psychedelic Sgt.Pepper.

Oh.

Okay.

You site something that says a lot of nothing, especially the fanboy joke of "can be matched by nothing done any other group from the times" and then quote SGT PEPPERS as being "not to psychedelic"... is there a level that determines it?

One could easily say TSMR, a pathetic album with some great songs, is stupid and a hilarious attempt at copying SGT PEPPERS, a great album with great songs.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 23, 2022 05:34

GasLightStreet
walkingthedog
GasLightStreet

You make fun of Number 9 - have you listened to THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST? A complete joke of an album. A wanna be album with 4 of the 10 songs being worthy of release. Still better than DIRTY WORK. But just as bad: embarrassments of the catalogue.

You are being very unreasonable here. Revolution 9 is a mess of a sound collage - devoid of any musical ideas. SATANIC is filled with actual songs. Even the long improvisation has many interesting twists and turns. I cite from a Rateyourmusic review: "The song is other worldly, filled with shimmering electronics, gentle textures, hypnotic voices, blistering held in check guitars, and can be matched by nothing done any other group from the times." The only song I think is substandard is actually the opening song Sing This All Together. All the other songs are very good.And the album is truly psychedelic, as opposed to the not so psychedelic Sgt.Pepper.

Oh.

Okay.

You site something that says a lot of nothing, especially the fanboy joke of "can be matched by nothing done any other group from the times" and then quote SGT PEPPERS as being "not to psychedelic"... is there a level that determines it?

One could easily say TSMR, a pathetic album with some great songs, is stupid and a hilarious attempt at copying SGT PEPPERS, a great album with great songs.

Actually 1 in a million people DO THINK that TSMR is better thank Sgt Pepper, so how bout that huh buster?!

AND, TSMR is regularly considered the 42nd best studio album the Rolling Stones has ever released!

Date: October 23, 2022 05:37

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
walkingthedog
GasLightStreet

Oh.

Okay.

Actually 1 in a million people DO THINK that TSMR is better thank Sgt Pepper, so how bout that huh buster?!

AND, TSMR is regularly considered the 42nd best studio album the Rolling Stones has ever released!

Well, you know, a sail boat can have its sails up period!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 23, 2022 06:45

frankotero
Revolver... obviously a boy band album. I can sense the girls screaming during Eleanor Rigbywinking smiley Poor Robbie Williams got a lot to live up to.

Yes, or in I'm Only Sleeping. drinking smiley

I heard the 2022 edition this weekend on the very same room where I grew up enjoying all kinds of music including the Beatles.

Revolver was always one of my all-time favorite albums, so all the memories that came up while listening to it brought some happy tears to my face.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: October 23, 2022 09:13

Boognish

Clearly you're very defensive about this topic, which is weird. It's just music. Who cares? Let people talk about The Beatles for 198 pages if they want. Why are you so sensitive? That's weird. Why must you constantly stick your head in a topic that you don't care about? That's weird. It seems you enjoy trolling and getting a rise out of people and calling Beatles fans retards. Yes you said "Beatletard" but we all know what you're really saying. That's weird. I asked you a simple question that required only a simple answer and you bring up Led Zeppelin and Chuck Berry and Yoko Ono. All I asked is if you're tired. Your response was weird. Anyways, keep going. It seems you'll go to the grave one day with an intense hatred for The Beatles. Too bad that energy wasted all these years couldn't have been used for something positive. Anyways, keep having fun. I was just trying to understand where this deep hatred came from. But we'll leave that to the psychologists. Cheers!

This is a pretty good post,you’re learning some things.
though It does come off as a little bit Lem Motlow lite, you tried the feigned indifference and the sarcasm but you seem a bit too emotionally involved to really score the point.
Things like deep hatred and such don’t really apply here.
Read Doxa’s posts and you’ll get more of an idea what’s happening, think of an argument in a pub about football.
I don’t have a hatred for the Beatles,I have a hatred for Vladimir Putin and I really really hate that mthrfckr.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-23 09:43 by lem motlow.

Posted by: walkingthedog ()
Date: October 23, 2022 10:29

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
walkingthedog
GasLightStreet

Oh.

Okay.

TSMR is ranked the 8th best LP by the Stones on Rateyourmusic, on the same level as Out Of Our Heads and Goats Head Soup, above IORR. Clearly your knowledge of the Stones discography is limited.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 23, 2022 10:50

Satanic mono is a full on sonic trip ..... PLAY LOUD

ROCKMAN

Date: October 23, 2022 10:54

Indeed TSMR in Mono is powerful. Especially 2000 Light Years From Home. Wow!

Date: October 23, 2022 10:57

Cristiano Radtke, I've heard the out-takes and I have to say there's some pretty good stuff in there. You might be as surprised as I was listening to Yellow Submarine. And basically I don't like that song. Enjoy the ridesmileys with beer

Date: October 23, 2022 17:22

walkingthedog
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
walkingthedog
GasLightStreet

Oh.

Okay.

TSMR is ranked the 8th best LP by the Stones on Rateyourmusic, on the same level as Out Of Our Heads and Goats Head Soup, above IORR. Clearly your knowledge of the Stones discography is limited.

Alright settle down with the insults, we're all just having a bit of fun. You can prefer TSMR to anything you want, and I personally love the little psychedelic side trip the band took. However broadly speaking there is no comparison with which is the better, musically and more culturally and historically significant album.

And I for one don't even 'prefer' Sgt. Pepper to TSMR, but I have the clarity of thought to understand that it just is better, often considered the best Beatles album, or at least one of the best.

I don't think many would say TSMR is the best Stones album...not even top 10.

Date: October 23, 2022 17:27

Rockman
Satanic mono is a full on sonic trip ..... PLAY LOUD

I listened to the mono CD when I first got the box several years ago. I may take your advice and blast it for breakfast this morning!

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: October 23, 2022 18:45

lem motlow
This is a pretty good post,you’re learning some things.
though It does come off as a little bit Lem Motlow lite, you tried the feigned indifference and the sarcasm but you seem a bit too emotionally involved to really score the point.
Things like deep hatred and such don’t really apply here.
Read Doxa’s posts and you’ll get more of an idea what’s happening, think of an argument in a pub about football.
I don’t have a hatred for the Beatles,I have a hatred for Vladimir Putin and I really really hate that mthrfckr.
Haha "Lem Motlow lite". I appreciate the explanation. If we were in that pub I'd buy you a round. A good ol' argument can be a healthy thing. Though it seems I am of no match to your prowess. I bow down...slightly. Haha.

Posted by: walkingthedog ()
Date: October 23, 2022 22:59

treaclefingers

Alright settle down with the insults, we're all just having a bit of fun. You can prefer TSMR to anything you want, and I personally love the little psychedelic side trip the band took. However broadly speaking there is no comparison with which is the better, musically and more culturally and historically significant album.

And I for one don't even 'prefer' Sgt. Pepper to TSMR, but I have the clarity of thought to understand that it just is better, often considered the best Beatles album, or at least one of the best.

It's ranked number 8! 8 is less than 10. You obviously have swallowed a lot of Beatles mythology. Only a small segment of the population are as interested in rock music as we are here, so speaking of "culturally and historically significant" music is over the top. Saying that you don't prefer Sgt.Pepper to TSMR but that it is "better" makes absolutely no sense to me. Anyway, my original post was just to say that comparing TSMR to Revolution no. 9 is ridiculous. One wonders whether a person who does this really likes the Stones at all.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: October 24, 2022 00:51

George Martin might have done wonders with TSMR.The production in places sounds tinny and cheesy

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 24, 2022 01:38

What? SATANIC MAJESTIES is much listenable album than SGT. PEPPER. At least at my household, that is.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-24 02:27 by Doxa.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 24, 2022 02:26

From the BBC:

Beatles' Revolver: 'It's time travel' says Giles Martin

By Mark Savage
BBC Music Correspondent
Revolver

Last month, in Abbey Road's legendary Studio 3, Giles Martin performed a magic trick. He was there to unveil something that should have been technically impossible - a remixed, reinvigorated version of The Beatles' seventh album, Revolver. The band's first record after announcing their retirement from live performance, it saw them explore new sonic territories and styles of composition, from the chamber pop of Eleanor Rigby to the kaleidoscopic eruptions of Tomorrow Never Knows. It took 300 hours to record (almost three times as long as the Beatles' previous album, Rubber Soul) as they experimented with tape loops, back-masking and LSD.
Fans have long been clamouring for an expanded edition of the record - but there was a problem. Unlike their later albums, the Beatles recorded Revolver's basic tracks direct to tape, standing in a circle, playing as a band. That made it almost impossible for future generations to separate and isolate the instruments and vocals. Until now. Back in Abbey Road, Martin cues up Taxman, Revolver's tense and brittle opening track. "What would it sound like without George Harrison's guitar?" he asks, pulling down a fader that eliminates him from the mix. Next, he drops out Paul McCartney's bass, so the only thing you hear is Ringo Starr's drum kit. It's a revelation. The kick drum pedal squeaks on every beat, and the snare reverberates off the studio walls. No-one, not even Ringo, would have heard those details at the time. Martin compares it to being given a cake and having the ability to break it down to its constituent ingredients. And it's only possible because of the technology that Peter Jackson's audio team created for the Get Back documentary. "The dialogue editor [Emile de la Rey] was doing a really good job of removing the guitars from the dialogue, and I said to him: 'Let's have a look at Revolver. Can you separate the guitar, bass and drums?'" says Martin. "He did a rough pass and it was so much better than anything I've ever heard. I said: 'OK, we need to work on this', and it got to a stage where it became extraordinarily good." Martin isn't clear on how the de-mixing process works, but he knows it involves elements of AI and machine learning. "It has to learn what the sound of John Lennon's guitar is, for instance, and the more information you can give it, the better it becomes. "So we were going through the tapes just looking for bits where someone played a guitar with no-one else playing - and that's how the computer can can go: 'Okay, this is what I'll extract'. "But all that means is that, when people listen to the record, the band don't have to be on each other's lap."

For his new version of Taxman, Martin discards the original's gimmicky stereo mix, which placed the instruments in the left speaker and the vocals in the right, Now, the band spreads out across the soundstage, putting the listener in the middle of a Beatles performance. It's a technique Martin applies to the whole album. Compared to the muddy CD mixes that emerged in the 1980s, the new Revolver is bristling with life, full of presence and attack. "People forget that it's just a young band playing in the studio," says Martin. "Everything is fairly aggressive. Everything is in your face. Everything the Beatles recorded is a little bit louder than you think it is." Eleanor Rigby is a perfect example. Instead of using the string section as a soft underscore, Paul asked them to play in sharp, staccato stings inspired by Bernard Herrmann's score for Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho. "Which is a funny influence if you think about it - you take the shower scene with a woman being stabbed and put it on Eleanor Rigby," reflects Martin. An expanded, deluxe edition of Revolver captures the strings being recorded at Abbey Road, with Giles's father George Martin arranging the musicians on the fly. "Do you want them to play the chords without vibrato?" he asks McCartney, who listens to several options before declaring he can't tell the difference. "All those years of learning," the musicians grumble good-naturedly, "and he says it sounds the same." McCartney eventually opts to lose the vibrato, giving the recording its razor-sharp immediacy. "What impresses me is the speed of thought," says Martin. "You have to remember that 10 minutes before that conversation, no-one would have ever heard the Eleanor Rigby strings before. It's an amazing session." It's one of many insights on the box set, from a rehearsal of And Your Bird Can Sing where the band can't stop laughing - "It reminds you that maybe there was some pot smoked during that time" - to a previously unheard demo of Yellow Submarine. While Beatles historians have always attributed the song to McCartney, the newly unearthed work tape is pure Lennon. He strums a sad acoustic guitar figure and sings: "In the town where I was born / No-one cared, no-one cared..." It's unrecognisable from the bumptious singalong it became - the words Yellow and Submarine are conspicuously absent - but Martin says the development of the song shows the Beatles at their most harmonious. "There's an acceptance of 'OK, I've got this very sensitive and sad song, and Paul's going to turn that into a hit for children'. That didn't happen later on Abbey Road or Let It Be, and I think that's the key to Revolver: They absolutely accepted each other's direction."

The scale of their confidence was such that the first song they tackled in the studio was Lennon's nightmarish sound collage Tomorrow Never Knows, full of sitar drones, processed vocals and unholy seagull calls (actually a speeded-up recording of McCartney laughing). Derided at the time, it's now recognised as a landmark of psychedelia, and a pioneering example of sampling and manipulating tape loops. "And the thing about the Beatles is they never tried it again," says Martin. "I can't work out the mentality of it, in all honesty, what was going through people's minds. "Even my dad, you know? He was always pretty straight-laced, but he just accepted 'Okay, well this is what we're doing'! "I always think it's like surfing, in a way. There's been very rare times in my life where I've done creatively good things but most of the time, I'm treading water or trying to avoid getting hit by the waves. "But the Beatles spent their whole time on the crest of a wave." Which raises the question, why remix the album at all? There are Beatles fans who refuse to listen to Martin's remasters and remixes, accusing him of rewriting history. "I kind of embrace them because, in a way, they're absolutely right," Martin says. "There's no reason why you should listen to these mixes. It's not like I've deleted anything." Instead, he likens the process to sandblasting the exterior of St Paul's Cathedral, and seeing it as Sir Christopher Wren would have done in 1697. The surviving Beatles supervised the mixes (McCartney told him off for being "too polite" with And Your Bird Can Sing) and the idea is to preserve their songs for a new generation who primarily listen on headphones, where the original hard-panned version of Taxman is awkward and disorientating. "I remember mixing Strawberry Fields and the young guy working at Abbey Road with me had never heard the song before," says Martin. "And there's no reason why he should. It's bloody old. "But there's also no reason why a 26-year-old Paul McCartney shouldn't sound like a 26-year-old does now. "So essentially, what we're doing is time travel. And I like that even now, 56 years on, we're trying to break new ground. Because that's what the Beatles did."

Date: October 24, 2022 06:29

walkingthedog
treaclefingers

It's ranked number 8! 8 is less than 10. You obviously have swallowed a lot of Beatles mythology. Only a small segment of the population are as interested in rock music as we are here, so speaking of "culturally and historically significant" music is over the top. Saying that you don't prefer Sgt.Pepper to TSMR but that it is "better" makes absolutely no sense to me. Anyway, my original post was just to say that comparing TSMR to Revolution no. 9 is ridiculous. One wonders whether a person who does this really likes the Stones at all.

Wow, I just love both dimensions of you.

Date: October 24, 2022 07:42

walkingthedog
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
walkingthedog
GasLightStreet

Oh.

Okay.

What website is that? Never seen or heard of it.

My knowledge of their discography? You hanging out with Tucker? Sure does seem like it.

Date: October 24, 2022 07:53

walkingthedog
treaclefingers

I don't wonder. For you to come off as someone that says something as ignorant as "One wonders whether a person who does this really likes the Stones at all" is of arrogant preponderance.

You should know better.

For you to take Revolution 9 is some kind of serious critique against the Stones in terms of quality is beyond laughable.

TSMR is a horrible album littered with an EP's worth of really good songs - and that's even with leaving off We Love You, which is fantastic.

Why you refuse to acknowledge the greatness of PEPPERS is ridiculous.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: October 24, 2022 10:31

If we can stop the trash talking for a second, we’ll pick it up later I’m sure,
But can some of you guys who follow the Beatles closely tell me why the present day center line of the road at the Abby Road crossing has all those zig zags as it approaches the crosswalk.
I think the Beatles are overrated blah blah blah but that crosswalk picture is fckng iconic.
If you look at the album cover the center line is normal but when tourists take pictures the centerline looks like a drunk painted it.
It looks like shit( and I promise I didn’t do it)

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: October 24, 2022 12:25

treaclefingers
walkingthedog
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
walkingthedog
GasLightStreet

Oh.

Okay.

When I decades ago was liberated from the personal restricting consequences of having a narrow hierarchy of Rolling Stones albums (for quite long with BEGGARS BANQUET at the very top), I learnt instead to have approximately 12 Rolling Stones albums as their great ones, without internal ranking. Among those twelve, there is THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST. That is, fully on par with their four following studio albums, mark that. In fact, on it's release, I was for some time much saddened by the new direction for the band that BEGGARS BANQUET indicated. So much had I loved the two albums released in 1967, I still do.

And much as I may appreciate SGT PEPPERS, I like better and find as better THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST. Aware that the former was more important in the development in pop music at large outside the Stones and the Beatles.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-24 12:26 by Witness.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 24, 2022 14:00

In regard to SGT. PEPPER vs. SATANIC MAJESTIES issue, it is funny how history has treated those albums.

There was a time when PEPPER was seen as the best album ever done, always making number one on whatever 'best albums ever' list. It was like a non-disputed fact of rock history. But nowadays the album, despite its historical significance recognized, is not seen even the best Beatles album by many. Its glory has to an extent disappeared.

SATANIC MAJESTIES, by contrast, was, according to the same official rock canon, for years seen as a total failure in Stones career. Clearly their worst moment, a flop, an embarrassing side-step and whatever. But funnily, nowadays its reputation starts to be much better, it even making people's top ten Stones albums lists, etc. The hipsters digging 60's weirdeness, see it as a hidden masterpiece. It is a cult classic in certain psychedelia circles.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-24 14:01 by Doxa.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 24, 2022 14:59

Witness said:

THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST. That is, fully on par with their four following studio albums, mark that.

Elmo said:

Wow! Obviously, I got a bad copy.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 24, 2022 14:59

Oh yeah, Stones and Beatles are both great - in completely different ways.

Date: October 24, 2022 15:04

love the beatles but any one else agree that their music is ageing very bad compared to the stones?

Date: October 24, 2022 15:48

Their early music from Please Please Me to Rubber Soul still sounds great. Abbey Road still sounds great. The White Album is a mix of some great songs and weak ones. Let it Be is a mess.I find the middle period, Revolver to Magical Mystery To ur to have a lot of songs which do sound dated and not as great as people said they were when they came out.There are great songs like Eleanor Rigby and Day in the Life, but those albums have a lot of crappy songs. I’m Only Sleeping, Tomorrow Never Knows, Good Day Sunshine, When I’m 64, The Benefit of Mr Kite,Good Morning, Blue Jay Way, Lovely Rita, She Said , She Said

Date: October 24, 2022 15:50

Their early music from Please Please Me to Rubber Soul still sounds great. Abbey Road still sounds great. The White Album is a mix of some great songs and weak ones. Let it Be is a mess.I find the middle period, Revolver to Magical Mystery To ur to have a lot of songs which do sound dated and not as great as people said they were when they came out.There are great songs like Eleanor Rigby and Day in the Life, but those albums have a lot of crappy songs. I’m Only Sleeping, Tomorrow Never Knows, Good Day Sunshine, When I’m 64,Your Mother Should Know, I Want to Tell You, The Benefit of Mr Kite,Good Morning, Blue Jay Way, Lovely Rita, She Said , She Said

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-24 15:52 by Taylor1.

Date: October 24, 2022 15:57

Taylor1
Their early music from Please Please Me to Rubber Soul still sounds great. Abbey Road still sounds great. The White Album is a mix of some great songs and weak ones. Let it Be is a mess.I find the middle period, Revolver to Magical Mystery To ur to have a lot of songs which do sound dated and not as great as people said they were when they came out.There are great songs like Eleanor Rigby and Day in the Life, but those albums have a lot of crappy songs. I’m Only Sleeping, Tomorrow Never Knows, Good Day Sunshine, When I’m 64, The Benefit of Mr Kite,Good Morning, Blue Jay Way, Lovely Rita, She Said , She Said

The former songs are great. Blue Jay Way as well.

Date: October 24, 2022 16:16

I think Good Day Sunshine is early Paul granny music .I’m Only Sleeping are dated sound effects without any good lyrics or music

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-25 03:45 by Taylor1.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...194195196197198199200201202203204...LastNext
Current Page: 199 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1765
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home