Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...193194195196197198199200201202203...LastNext
Current Page: 198 of 223
Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: October 16, 2022 03:12

Hairball
CaptainCorella
Hairball
ds1984
And looks too similar to the Yellow Submarine animated pictures film.

The Yellow Submarine vibe is part of the charm imo, but then again I have a soft spot for that film.

OUCH!

My point was that it's a feeble imitation of the style and simply does not cut it. Yellow Submarine (a truly wondrous experience) is on a wholly different level to this feeble upstart.

"a truly wondrous experience"

Exactly!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Re: 10 Beatles songs The Stones should have recorded
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 16, 2022 06:34

lem motlow
Well, since the Beatles sucked I don’t think the Stones should have recorded any of their songs.
Beatles fans are like this starry eyed cult,zombies who cant be reasoned with.
Have you ever talked to a religious fanatic who interjects Jesus into every conversation? That’s what it’s like.
Listen to me, Any English band who made it to America in the early 60s was going to be the standard bearer, if the Kinks arrived here first Ray Davies would be Lennon/ McCartney only better.
The Beatles didn’t do anything groundbreaking, they didn’t do the first stadium concert, Elvis did at the Cotton bowl in the 50s.
Ed Sullivan? Again nothing new, Elvis again.
I know, they sold more records than anyone, Bon Jovi sold more than Hendrix also.
Isn’t there a website called come together or something where you weirdos could gather?

Oh my.

I guess I didn't realize you were so sterile and benign.

I take it you won't be getting this, then, while you hold onto your Stones trophy so extremely tight.

[wmgk.com]

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: October 16, 2022 08:32

This is why I clown on you- only a Beatles weirdo would call someone “ sterile and benign “ for not liking some music.
What does that even mean?

Stones trophy? You guys just say weird shit, it’s creepy.
Can’t you just say “ I think there’s something here that you’re missing, you should listen again perhaps”
But you can’t and it never stops being funny.

Number 9 number 9 , god this is so far out.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 16, 2022 09:02

careful Lem dem jelly babies
can sting if fired from a yella submarine .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 16, 2022 09:34

CaptainCorella
Hairball
CaptainCorella
Hairball
ds1984
And looks too similar to the Yellow Submarine animated pictures film.

The Yellow Submarine vibe is part of the charm imo, but then again I have a soft spot for that film.

OUCH!

My point was that it's a feeble imitation of the style and simply does not cut it. Yellow Submarine (a truly wondrous experience) is on a wholly different level to this feeble upstart.

"a truly wondrous experience"

Exactly!

Yeah well I think you're all just a bunch of blue meanies.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 19, 2022 02:29

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: October 19, 2022 11:02

With the IPO of music publisher Northern Songs, John and Paul each received 94,270 pounds (about 10 million Japanese yen at the time).
Although not a large sum of money for John and Paul, who were already millionaires at the time, the tax-free income was attractive to them.

However, John and Paul took a terrible tax measure after the initial public offering.

They sold the rights to the writers' share of the 56 songs they had written from 1963 to 1966 to Northern Songs.
As a result, 100% of the copyrights to the 56 songs written by John and Paul between 1963 and 1966 became the property of Northern Songs.

John and Paul received 146,000 pounds each from this sale. This was about 15 million Japanese yen at the time. This was not a large sum in terms of John and Paul's assets.
However, only 30% of the proceeds from the sale were taxed, which made it attractive for tax purposes.

In the eyes of those of us in later generations, we think, "What a stupid thing the Beatles did."

The copyrights to 56 Beatles songs are a tremendously valuable asset. Even non-Beatles fans can imagine that.
However, at the time, no one thought that the Beatles' songs would be worth that much.

At the time, the Beatles' records were selling like hotcakes, but it was thought that their peak period had passed.
Pop records sell best when they are first released, then gradually decline, and after a few years, they almost stop selling.

Therefore, according to the common sense of the time, the "earning season" for these 56 songs had long passed.
The Beatles' records would not sell that well, so they probably decided to convert the copyrights into property while they still could.

Mo one knew that The Beatles' records would continue to sell around the world for half a century.

Glory and Failure of The Beatles as Deciphered by the Flow of Money by Ojiro Omura

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: October 19, 2022 14:35

lem motlow
Any English band who made it to America in the early 60s was going to be the standard bearer, if the Kinks arrived here first Ray Davies would be Lennon/ McCartney only better.

Dream on ... cream always rises to the surface. The Beatles were a global phenomenon and there is a world beyond the USA.

Date: October 20, 2022 11:10

Captain Teague
lem motlow
Any English band who made it to America in the early 60s was going to be the standard bearer, if the Kinks arrived here first Ray Davies would be Lennon/ McCartney only better.

Dream on ... cream always rises to the surface. The Beatles were a global phenomenon and there is a world beyond the USA.

In 1960 there were 3 billion people on the planet, half of them, 1.5 billion lived in 5 countries.
China, India, the Soviet Union,Indonesia and the United States.
So much for your “ global phenomenon “
Of those 5 countries only the States considered a bunch of 12 year olds pissing themselves over a boy band a cultural phenomenon.

Beatletards are like Scientologists, as soon as you start saying things like “ global phenomenon “ and “ They changed the world maaan” it becomes comical.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 20, 2022 11:54

Actually they did change the world, at least a little, just ask some Russians from that era. Though I would agree there's parts of the world un-effected, like Africa for example.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: October 20, 2022 12:21

lem motlow
Captain Teague
lem motlow

In 1960 there were 3 billion people on the planet, half of them, 1.5 billion lived in 5 countries.
Of those 5 countries only the States considered a bunch of 12 year olds pissing themselves over a boy band a cultural phenomenon.

Beatletards are like Scientologists, as soon as you start saying things like “ global phenomenon “ and “ They changed the world maaan” it becomes comical.

I like the Scientology analogy,so true.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 20, 2022 14:09

Bright and early this morning I am amused by this back and forth banter .

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: October 21, 2022 02:15

The Beatles Bible is an excellent compilation of all the Beatles recordings It not only identifies all the musicians on the songs but tells you background of the recording sessions including the number of and difference in the takes It is generally accurate .Too bad no one has ever provided one as detailed for the Stones

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 21, 2022 04:16

From Goldmine:

The Beatles Super Deluxe edition of 'Revolver' will please the CD collector, too
Although 'Revolver' will be rereleased in multiple formats and editions, it’s definitely worth springing for the Super Deluxe set for more bonus tracks, the mono mix and a beautiful book.

By Gillian G. Gaar
Oct 19, 2022

REVOLVER:
SUPER DELUXE EDITION (5-CD Box Set)
5 Stars

The 2017 reissue of Sgt. Pepper, with its remix of the classic album, might’ve initially seemed like it was going to be a one-off. But once it was followed by the reissue, and remix, of The Beatles in 2018, it became obvious that other Beatles albums were being positioned for the same treatment. But while the reissues of Abbey Road and Let It Be had anniversary tie ins, the Revolver breaks that pattern (2022 marks the 56th anniversary of its release, not a “big five” anniversary). When the album was first released on CD in 1987, George Martin, said it wouldn’t be possible to remix it. Thirty-five years later, due to new developments in recording technology, Martin’s son Giles found that he finally did have the tools to allow us, in his words, “to hear the album in a new way.”

Thus we get a stereo remix of what many consider to be The Beatles’ strongest work (and, in the Super Deluxe set, a new mono remaster as well). The differences are immediately apparent on the opening tracks, “Taxman” and “Eleanor Rigby”; there’s no split with the instruments on one channel and most of the vocals on the other. That alone gives the song a more full-bodied sound. Indeed, overall the album has a more robust sound compared to the 1987 and 2009 reissues.

Some may feel it’s too robust. From “Here, There and Everywhere” to “She Said She Said,” from “And Your Bird Can Sing” to “Got to Get You Into My Life,” vocals and drums/percussion are pushed to the forefront. Louder isn’t always better; in the new mixes, the louder drums were distracting at times (at least to these ears). The remix does give the songs more space to “breathe,” but perhaps at the cost of a more cohesive blending. You can pick out the individual elements in “Tomorrow Never Knows,” for example, but the 2009 edition (again, to these ears), feels more all-encompassing. It’s certainly subjective; from the moment the new remix of “Taxman” was shared on social media, the debate began, which will only increase once the full album is available.

The mono mix of Revolver has always been especially strong. And while there’s minimal difference in the 2009 and 2022 mono versions (though the latter does have a cleaner sound), including it in the Super Deluxe set is a nice bonus for those who didn’t pick up the mono box in 2009 (the mono CDs weren’t released individually).

The previously unreleased material has always been a highlight of these reissues, and it’s particularly interesting when you can hear a song’s evolution. The earliest track on the set is a demo of “She Said She Said.” Comparing the spare quality of the demo to a rehearsal of the backing track illustrates just how imaginative the group was in transforming something so simple into the hauntingly mysterious creation that it became. It’s similarly illuminating listening to “I’m Only Sleeping” emerging from rehearsal to early takes to final version. Take 5, for example, shows what the track sounded like in its original recorded state, when it was recorded at a faster speed to sound slower on normal playback, giving it a languorous sound. “Got to Get You Into My Life” becomes increasingly bold as The Beatles move from accentuating the track with vocal harmonies to using a brass section. Take 1 of “Tomorrow Never Knows” is a phantasmagorical treat, and it sounds better here than it did on Anthology 2.

The song that gets the most extensive before-and-after is “Yellow Submarine.” While probably not most fans’ choice for this treatment, it’s nonetheless entertaining to chart the song’s progression. There are work tapes of John Lennon and Paul McCartney assembling the track (a quick peak into how they’d “play at each other” in shaping a song); surprisingly, it’s Lennon who seems to be the dominant force, at least judging by these clips, for what’s been thought to be largely a McCartney song. It’s followed by a version of the song sans special effects, giving it a somewhat more serious character, making it less of a novelty song. That said, it’s delightful hearing the track come to life with a version highlighting those very special effects, as well adding the opening recitation from Ringo Starr that was later cut from the track.

There evidently wasn’t enough in the vaults deemed worthy of release for some songs; there’s only one early take each for “Taxman” and “Doctor Robert,” and nothing at all for “Good Day Sunshine.” Given that an entire CD is used to hold just four tracks — new stereo mixes and the original mono masters for “Paperback Writer” and “Rain” — you wish some of that extra CD space could have been used for additional material.

And there’s the usual accompanying beautifully compiled album-sized book, taking you through the sessions track by track, with many photos plus a new cartoon by Klaus Voormann, detailing his process of creating the album’s cover. As with the other sets, the book, with its in-depth look at the album’s recording, adds tremendous value to the package.

The set’s available in single disc and 2-CD editions. But it’s definitely worth springing for the Super Deluxe set (also available on vinyl) for more bonus tracks, the mono mix, and the book. It’s an excellent collection celebrating an album that’s retained its potency over half-a-century on.

Read all you need to know about the rerelease of Revolver in Goldmine's Dec-Jan edition (below), ON NEWSSTANDS by November 1, 2022, and in the Goldmine Shop soon:

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: October 21, 2022 04:21

lem motlow, just out of curiosity...aren't you tired? You've been spewing your anti-Beatles hatred on here for years. Aren't you tired at this point?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 21, 2022 07:03

Boognish
lem motlow, just out of curiosity...aren't you tired? You've been spewing your anti-Beatles hatred on here for years. Aren't you tired at this point?

Agree or disagree you have to admire his commitment to it. Maybe someone kicked him with Beatle Boots when he was a kid and he never got over it?

Anyway, to put a positive spin on it, he's passionate about hating them.

That's something...or something.

Date: October 21, 2022 07:25

lem motlow
This is why I clown on you- only a Beatles weirdo would call someone “ sterile and benign “ for not liking some music.
What does that even mean?

Stones trophy? You guys just say weird shit, it’s creepy.
Can’t you just say “ I think there’s something here that you’re missing, you should listen again perhaps”
But you can’t and it never stops being funny.

Number 9 number 9 , god this is so far out.

"You guys"?

Music fans?

Fans of music other than the Stones? It looks as you're the one waving a trophy around.

At some point you might say that the Stones are the Greatest Rock'N'Roll Band In The World, as if that means something.

I'm going to guess that somewhere along the way, in real life or maybe here somewhere, someone said to you “I think there’s something here that you’re missing, you should listen again because you're truly denying yourself of some of the greatest music ever recorded, that changed recording production, and songwriting,” and because you're so closed off, you scoff at The Beatles and perhaps a lot more not being good or great enough.

I would like to be wrong. But it doesn't really matter - it's not my loss of enjoyment of music anything like it is yours.

If you're being serious, of course. Sometimes it's difficult to tell. Not you, in particular, but online in general.

You make fun of Number 9 - have you listened to THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST? A complete joke of an album. A wanna be album with 4 of the 10 songs being worthy of release. Still better than DIRTY WORK. But just as bad: embarrassments of the catalogue.

Date: October 21, 2022 07:27

lem motlow
Captain Teague
lem motlow

It's hilariously interesting how you deny facts and history.

What else you got?

Does Amazon have Rolling Stones trophies?

Date: October 21, 2022 08:08

Boognish

I could ask the same question- you mental patients posted 198 pages about your favorite band on a completely different groups fansite.
That’s not weird at all.
You’re lucky this isn’t the Led Zeppelin site I belong to, I’m just making fun of you in a hopefully good natured way, That Ringo vs Bonham thing might get ugly and it would go downhill from there.
Jimmy Page started playing guitar in 1956,so if it ever comes up, just don’t. Im protective of my little beatletards and I don’t want to see you hurt.

Think about this ,The most talented member of your band went on national television in the States and did a duet with Chuck Berry.
During this performance his crazy girlfriend grabbed a microphone and began screaming and making bizarre noises.though it scared Mr Berry it provided comedy throughout eternity.
So the answer to your question “boognish” is no, I will never tire of clowning on you.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 21, 2022 09:20

My one wish: please can they one day release the mono mixes as standalone releases. Again, with this set, the mono mix is only available as part of the super-deluxe box. Why not release this mic as part of the 2-CD offer?

Date: October 21, 2022 09:53

Beatletards, it just doesn’t flow. Though it does have a nasty humor. Thanks for looking out for us.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 21, 2022 13:41

The 'beatletards' do love speaking their favourite band in cultural history terms and pointing out their significance, being first in everything, revolutionary, selling so much blah blah blah. You know the story. It is so much part of Beatles mythology. But belonging to that very same 60's mythology belongs the Beatles vs. Stones controversy. Funnily, some people find that issue ridiculous now, because "I like both bands, and weren't they friends and everything". That I have always found funny - like the controversy supposed to be that serious... C'mon, that funny issue is a huge part of 60's legacy in pop music.

There is a Mick Jagger interview in which he asked how he sees their cultural impact. He tells a story about having a dinner in a restaurant, and there is some young kid nearby, and asking from his father, which is better, The Beatles or The Stones. The father just points at the direction of Mick, and says 'maybe you should ask him'. This decades after when that issue actually mattered in teeneger hearts. But for Mick that little instance was a sign of 'yeah, maybe we actually have achieved something'.

Lem does a good job in keeping that issue alive, and I find his Beatles criticism extremely funny and refreshing (probably because I am not that big Beatles fan either). Especially on a site called 'It's Only Rock'n'Roll', not 'Come Together'. Don't be so serious, people! In the end, it is just music. Some of it we like, some of it not so much. Forget the cultural history and mythology, just put the record on and judge yourself.

- Doxa

Date: October 21, 2022 16:12

lem motlow
Boognish

I could ask the same question- you mental patients posted 198 pages about your favorite band on a completely different groups fansite.
That’s not weird at all.
You’re lucky this isn’t the Led Zeppelin site I belong to, I’m just making fun of you in a hopefully good natured way, That Ringo vs Bonham thing might get ugly and it would go downhill from there.
Jimmy Page started playing guitar in 1956,so if it ever comes up, just don’t. Im protective of my little beatletards and I don’t want to see you hurt.

Think about this ,The most talented member of your band went on national television in the States and did a duet with Chuck Berry.
During this performance his crazy girlfriend grabbed a microphone and began screaming and making bizarre noises.though it scared Mr Berry it provided comedy throughout eternity.
So the answer to your question “boognish” is no, I will never tire of clowning on you.
Clearly you're very defensive about this topic, which is weird. It's just music. Who cares? Let people talk about The Beatles for 198 pages if they want. Why are you so sensitive? That's weird. Why must you constantly stick your head in a topic that you don't care about? That's weird. It seems you enjoy trolling and getting a rise out of people and calling Beatles fans retards. Yes you said "Beatletard" but we all know what you're really saying. That's weird. I asked you a simple question that required only a simple answer and you bring up Led Zeppelin and Chuck Berry and Yoko Ono. All I asked is if you're tired. Your response was weird. Anyways, keep going. It seems you'll go to the grave one day with an intense hatred for The Beatles. Too bad that energy wasted all these years couldn't have been used for something positive. Anyways, keep having fun. I was just trying to understand where this deep hatred came from. But we'll leave that to the psychologists. Cheers!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-21 16:14 by Boognish.

Date: October 21, 2022 17:18

Just remembered I had a very close friend who also hated The Beatles with a passion. Funny thing was sometimes he would ask me for Beatles album recommendations. No kidding. Of course I'd ask him why but he never would give a normal response. I think deep down there was an inferiorty complex. Anyhow, I get some people don't like them and that's okay, it's not hurting me. For what it's worth most of my years I've spent being a bigger Stones Fan although I consdider The Beatles to be at the top. Go figure, haha.

Date: October 21, 2022 17:47

Of course music is subjective, you like what you like. That's the beautiful thing about art. But to hate a band so passionately, to the point where you spend years detailing exactly why you hate them and why people that love them are wrong and retards, I don't understand what the point is (other than to be a troll on the internet to feel some sort of self-worth). If Paul McCartney ran over your dog with his car or Ringo stole your girlfriend or something, I can see why there would be a reason to use that hateful energy. But to poke your head in threads you don't like just to say "you're all wrong and you're all retards!", I don't understand. But that's the internet, I guess. We all want to feel important and right.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: October 21, 2022 18:18

We always have an 'ultimate' argument.
Sing This All Together (See What Happens) appeared a year earlier than Revolution 9. So, in terms of innovation our boys are ahead of that other beat band winking smiley.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 21, 2022 19:13

Giles Martin did a phenomenal job with Revolver especially when you consider the tech issues. The record breathes a lot more & the remix is very kind to Ringo. He was on top of his game at this point. The backwards guitars & stuff like that sound great. Bonus points for including Rain/Paperback Writer with the project. Love both those songs. & George was really coming into his own as a writer on Revolver. I love both the Stones & Beatles. They were both right in my wheelhouse growing up. I know there are legalities involved but it would be nice if the Stones did releases like this.

Posted by: walkingthedog ()
Date: October 21, 2022 20:28

GasLightStreet

You make fun of Number 9 - have you listened to THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST? A complete joke of an album. A wanna be album with 4 of the 10 songs being worthy of release. Still better than DIRTY WORK. But just as bad: embarrassments of the catalogue.

You are being very unreasonable here. Revolution 9 is a mess of a sound collage - devoid of any musical ideas. SATANIC is filled with actual songs. Even the long improvisation has many interesting twists and turns. I cite from a Rateyourmusic review: "The song is other worldly, filled with shimmering electronics, gentle textures, hypnotic voices, blistering held in check guitars, and can be matched by nothing done any other group from the times." The only song I think is substandard is actually the opening song Sing This All Together. All the other songs are very good.And the album is truly psychedelic, as opposed to the not so psychedelic Sgt.Pepper.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-21 20:44 by walkingthedog.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: October 21, 2022 21:30

I have not been impressed at all with Giles Martin.I don’t hear any improvement he madeon the soundon Goats Head Soup. The guitars are still buried and muddled on songs like 100 years ago, Heartbreaker and Star Star.I haven’t heard it in his White Album remix either

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-21 21:31 by Taylor1.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: October 21, 2022 23:58

walkingthedog

You are being very unreasonable here. Revolution 9 is a mess of a sound collage - devoid of any musical ideas.

About 10 (?) years ago there was a collection of (rather good) musicians touring here in Australia doing a "White Album" show. It was pretty entertaining.

First time round they omitted Revolution No.9.

The evening was so good that we went again a couple of years later when they did the show again. This time the basic show was less good - one of the lead performers was 'out of control' and stuffed things up too many times.

But, the backing band under the direction of the show's Musical Director incredibly did a version of Revolution No9 that was recognisably based on the original and was musical and interesting. And (unreal) enjoyable.

Very sadly the 'live' CDs the ensemble sold were from the first tour and thus did not include Revolution No9.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...193194195196197198199200201202203...LastNext
Current Page: 198 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1257
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home