Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...191192193194195196197198199200201...LastNext
Current Page: 196 of 223
Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 7, 2022 16:16

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 7, 2022 17:50

Revolver Deluxe in new Stereo & Dolby Atmos Mixes + original Mono-Mix, expanded with never before released Session-Recordings & Demos + “Paperback Writer” & “Rain” EP:

Out: 28-Oct-2022 - [www.TheBeatles.com] . No BluRay: "The album’s new Dolby Atmos mix will be released digitally" - [SuperDeluxeEdition.com] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-09-07 18:05 by Irix.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 7, 2022 18:30

The Beatles’ Unheard ‘Revolver’: An Exclusive Preview of a Blockbuster Archival Release

A new Super Deluxe Edition of their psychedelic 1966 classic is packed with revelations. Here's a first look at what's inside

By Rob Sheffield
September 7, 2022

The Beatles in Abbey Road Studios during filming of the “Paperback Writer” and “Rain” promotional films. May 19th, 1966 © Apple Corps Ltd.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Date: September 7, 2022 19:05

shawnriffhard1
slewan

it short: seems like we're heading for another disappointment…

What is/are the other "disappointment"(s)?

No Dolby-Atmos-Mix on BluRay-Disc (Streaming subscription required instead) .... winking smiley

Date: September 7, 2022 19:55

Seemingly no SHM-CDs in the Japanese Editions - [www.Universal-Music.co.jp] .

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 10, 2022 22:28

From the Guardian:

Beatles’ Revolver reissue shows band in new light: ‘This is the record where we were each most ourselves’
As the landmark 1966 album comes out again with revealing out-takes, two key figures tell of its enduring magic
Vanessa Thorpe
Sat 10 Sep 2022

Revolver

You may think you know Yellow Submarine, that jokey, surreal number by the Beatles that Ringo Starr sings and children love. But an extraordinary, poignant early version of the song, soon to be revealed alongside a freshly mixed edition of Revolver, tells quite another story. It is one of a string of shocks lying in wait next month when the band’s landmark 1966 album is rereleased. It comes complete with new outtakes and recovered studio recordings, and offers a potent antidote to Get Back, the acclaimed 2021 Peter Jackson film that chronicled the beginning of the end of the Fab Four. Now setting these famous songs, including Eleanor Rigby, Here, There and Everywhere, She Said She Said and Got to Get You Into My Life, in their proper context for the first time are Giles Martin, son of the late George, the inspirational producer and arranger, and one of the band’s oldest friends, Klaus Voormann, designer of the album’s striking cover. Before the release, the two men paint a picture that will alter public understanding of the Beatles once more. Because, for them, the months that led up to Revolver saw the last real convergence of great individual creative talents, still working together. “They were already pulling away, but collaborating,” said Martin. “It is amazing that all these songs are on the same album. When Paul [McCartney] sat down with me to listen to it again, because he does not often do that, he said: ‘This is it. This is the record where we were each most ourselves. You can hear us making our own contributions.’” In contrast to the rancour evident later, band disagreements were quickly settled and largely about music. “This is not that long before the period covered in Get Back, but the tone is so different. You think: ‘Oh, this is what they were like!’” said Martin. “The lifespan of the Beatles was like a mayfly’s really. Everything was so speeded up.”

For Voormann, the influential German the band met in a Hamburg bar in 1960, the album remains a touchstone: “It’s a very important thing in my life and they felt especially proud of it. They had started moving apart when they stopped doing live gigs that summer,” he said this weekend. “So it is fantastic they stuck together as long as they did, because they were hardly meeting up at all outside the studio. That’s the truth.” And the truth about Yellow Submarine is that John Lennon imagined a sorrowful, wry ballad, rooted in his own childhood. “In the town where I was born, No one cared, no one cared,” he wails in an early demo. It sounds, as Martin notes, more like a “maudlin, Woody Guthrie” chant than the oompah band final version. Also revealed are a tense debate about the opening of Got to Get You Into My Life, in which an organ stands in for the horns, and discussions about the vibrato on the violins in Eleanor Rigby. “People have said classical musicians were not keen on joining these sessions, but you can hear the violinists enjoying talking to Paul, who puts on a slightly posh voice,” said Martin. His father is also caught admitting that a screech from the strings recalls his own days learning the violin as a child. “It nearly killed me,” the great producer confesses. And his son reveals now: “He was a nice enough piano player but he actually failed his Guildhall instrument exam on the oboe. He said his hands were so sweaty with nerves that the instrument was like an eel in his hands.” Fans can also hear Lennon claiming that an early, comparatively lacklustre take of his song And Your Bird Can Sing was good enough. “Next morning they would often come in, hear a track and then do another take,” said Martin.

So how do you improve an album that many believe is one of the best, if not the best, produced by any group? The answer, according to Giles Martin, is that you don’t. Instead you clarify, without cleaning up, or making it sound sterile. “I am not just doing all this work on my own. Paul and Ringo want me to do it and they sit in,” said Martin, explaining he is surrounded by recordings of all the different takes and instrument tracks, so he can check as he goes along. “They don’t want me to just do nothing. There’s no point. And I was trained by my father, and he liked to take risks.” The fears of those who love their original scratched vinyl are voiced by Voormann: “I’m always sceptical about changing tracks. After all, we took an awful lot of care when we made these things.” It turns out that without the film Get Back, on which Martin worked with Jackson, this new, enhanced edition of Revolver would not have happened. The technology developed by Jackson, and deployed to pick out individual instruments and voices, was crucial for working on such a basic master tape, one deliberately compressed to suit early vinyl LPs. “It was sort of mono and they had to lessen the base sound so the needle would not jump,” said Martin, who has compared the impact of Jackson’s sound technology to unbaking a cake without adulterating the ingredients. “In my view when you listen to music, it doesn’t get old. We change our attitudes and get old, but the songs stay the same and should sound that way.” One thing both Martin and Voormann agree on is the central importance of Starr, the band’s “glue”. “He was actually the first one I met in Hamburg. Although I heard John, Paul and George playing from outside the bar, when I went in Ringo was on stage with Rory Storm and the Hurricanes,” said Voormann. “He made everyone laugh and was always at the centre of things. He would have kept them together until today. That helped them stay a group and they began to sound like the Beatles once he played, with that swing. He was a jolly man and he still is.” “He is the ultimate feeling-based drummer,” said Martin. “Sometimes he doesn’t even know what a signature time is. He still talks about ‘the feel’ of a song all the time.”

Martin, who is about to work with Sam Taylor-Johnson on her Amy Winehouse biopic, said that, although he has been immersed in Beatles music since childhood, he finds the completists, obsessed with hearing every take of a song, hard to understand. He does believe, however, that listening to key early versions is illuminating: “People may think a song just materialises, but with these outtakes you can hear a song emerge. It’s great.”

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-09-10 22:31 by Hairball.

Posted by: Gigbag ()
Date: September 13, 2022 12:58

On Revolver 2022:

I am very excited about this new reconstructed mix.

Listen to Taxman, now available. The mix is amazing.

Read the article on Rolling Stone about this album. The digital technology basically digs out the individual instruments to create a file with more tracks than were ever recorded in the sixties. This allows them to make a completely new mix. If they could do this to the old Stones recordings or even bootlegs, we would have pristine live recordings. For example, many of the tracks on On Air are of poor quality, if these could be restored with the Jackson technology, we would have a great document of early Stones. Or imagine what they could do with poor iphone recordings of live shows,......

I am definitely buying the new stereo mix on vinyl of Revolver.

Date: September 29, 2022 00:57

The Frost Tapes - The Beatles

David Frost was the 20th century’s most prolific interviewer, a master of conversation with a remarkable talent for getting people to open up and spill their souls. Many of his conversations, however, have been lost - until now. Presented by his son, broadcaster Wilfred Frost, The Frost Tapes joins David as he interviews the greatest entertainers of the 20th and 21st centuries.

Paul McCartney’s working class roots, the story of George Harrison’s first guitar, John Lennon’s love of Hamburg, and Ringo Starr’s big break (as well as Pete Best’s not-so-big break). This is the story of the world’s greatest band, told to the world’s greatest interviewer. A Paradine and Chalk & Blade production for BBC Radio 4.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: September 29, 2022 01:28

Cristiano Radtke

David Frost was the 20th century’s most prolific interviewer, a master of conversation with a remarkable talent for getting people to open up and spill their souls. Many of his conversations, however, have been lost - until now. Presented by his son, broadcaster Wilfred Frost, The Frost Tapes joins David as he interviews the greatest entertainers of the 20th and 21st centuries.

Paul McCartney’s working class roots, the story of George Harrison’s first guitar, John Lennon’s love of Hamburg, and Ringo Starr’s big break (as well as Pete Best’s not-so-big break). This is the story of the world’s greatest band, told to the world’s greatest interviewer. A Paradine and Chalk & Blade production for BBC Radio 4.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Geoblocked (against Australia at least).

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: September 29, 2022 02:03

CaptainCorella
Cristiano Radtke

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Try this link, Captain: [youtu.be]

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: September 29, 2022 05:57

[www.youtube.com]

Previously undisclosed, secret footage from the Beatles' first visit to Japan in 1966 has been released.
This footage was disclosed by a non-profit organization as a result of a 2015 freedom of information request to the Metropolitan Police Department.
The footage was shot between June 29 and July 3, 1966, when the Beatles visited Japan.
It records the security measures at the time, which were described as "state guest level."
The 35-minutes and 40-seconds black-and-white video without sound filmed the security situation at the time by the Metropolitan Police Department and had been kept for many years.

Epstein's face is also blurred out.

Japanese police officer might be the inspiration for the title of the next album.smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-09-29 06:06 by Toru A.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: September 29, 2022 08:36

Cristiano Radtke
CaptainCorella
Cristiano Radtke

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Try this link, Captain: [youtu.be]

MUCH obliged. Thanks.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: September 30, 2022 09:05

10 Beatles songs The Stones should have recorded
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 30, 2022 18:38

Beatles or solo

1. Revolution

2. Run For Your Life

3. I Got A Feeling (Mick doing Paul; Keith doing John)

4. Hi Hi Hi

5. You're Sixteen (Bill Wyman guest vocal)

6. What Is Life (bringing back the fuzz riff)

7. I Want You/She's So Heavy

8. I Feel Fine

9. Day Tripper

10. Cold Turkey (Keith Richards vocal)

Re: 10 Beatles songs The Stones should have recorded
Posted by: slewan ()
Date: September 30, 2022 19:08

why?

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 30, 2022 19:10

You're Thirteen sung by Bill.

Anyway Elmo. Bad idea. Sorry

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: September 30, 2022 19:42

Agreed with the question why?

But i will play along the only one I can think of is.... Why don't we do it in the road?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 30, 2022 19:59

I think the best possible overlap would be in their doing each others ballads.

ie Beatles doing Backstreet Girl or Ruby Tuesday.

Actually I still can't think of a Beatles song the Stones should try. Long and Winding Road? Something could be interesting, I could hear Mick adding a bit of character to that vocal.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: September 30, 2022 20:09

You actually meant to say: 10 Stones songs the Beatles should have recorded.

1. Give me your hand and I hold it tight (actually they changed it "a bit" by releasing "I wanna hold your hand"
2. Hear it (actually they incorporated the high voices in some other song(s)
3. Yer Blues (after Brian Epstein died. Was it a Lennon/Richards song?)
4. She's a rainbow (isn't it a beauty?)
5. Out of time (they could have beaten Chris Farlow)
6. She said yeah (decades later Paul did it on his own, Stones style). Sorry, it's not a Jagger/Richards penned song ...
7. Back Street Girl (much better then "Girl")
8. Don't Stop (who knows, they would still be around)
9. Summer romance (to please all the screaming girls)
10. We love you (the vocal backgrounds are already there)

Just kidding, off course winking smiley

smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: September 30, 2022 20:09

Keith doing Happiness is a warm gun ?

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 30, 2022 20:20

Didn’t Mick and Keith write a sing for them as a ‘thank-you’ for I Wanna Be Your Man? I could’ve sworn I’ve read this somewhere. If so, Lennon and McCartney were not so keen on it, evidently! Does anyone know the title?

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: September 30, 2022 20:20

I can't imagine the Stones doing any of them...except 'I Wanna Be Your Man', maybe...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 30, 2022 20:22

umakmehrd
Keith doing Happiness is a warm gun ?

Inspired choice...especially 'old keith voice'.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: September 30, 2022 20:27

Helter Skelter
Polythene Pam
Two Of Us
Honey Don't (Keef on Vox)
Twist & Shout
Norwegian Wood
Rain (what instruments would Brian have added to this?)
Dear Prudence
Any Time At All
I'm Looking Thru You

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: September 30, 2022 20:30

Roll over Beethoven, Hey Jude, I saw her Standing there, I wanna be your Man and Come Together

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: September 30, 2022 21:38

Revolution 9.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: September 30, 2022 21:43

None of them. Zero!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 30, 2022 21:49

Octopus Garden at Altamont with Bill on lead vocals ...

heck maybe it coulda calmed those Angel guys

ROCKMAN

Date: September 30, 2022 22:21

Get Back. Simple as that.

Date: September 30, 2022 22:27

VoodooLounge13
Helter Skelter
Polythene Pam
Two Of Us
Honey Don't (Keef on Vox)
Twist & Shout
Norwegian Wood
Rain (what instruments would Brian have added to this?)
Dear Prudence
Any Time At All
I'm Looking Thru You

Ronnie did the Norwegian Wood-intro in Norway in 1990, during the band intros smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-09-30 22:28 by DandelionPowderman.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...191192193194195196197198199200201...LastNext
Current Page: 196 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1605
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home