Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...190191192193194195196197198199200...LastNext
Current Page: 195 of 223
Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 29, 2022 20:05

RollingFreak
ds1984
Ringo got the job because he was the best available drummer that fitted the band.

And what risk did he take? He was in with a band that just got a recording contract.

Right time, right place to go.

They did not need a virtuoso, they just needed a good enough drummer.
No single Beatle is a virtuoso but at least two are geniuses.

We're still shitting on Ringo? They loved Ringo the second they played with him. And he did excellent work with them. He doesn't have to be the greatest of all time, he was exactly what they needed. I'm not sure why that needs to be defended decade after decade. Their word on things should be enough, and his work should speak for itself.
I will threw my two cents into this Ringo compared to Ronnie issue and say that Ringo was there from the start when the first Beatles album was released , along with all of the Beatlemania . So I have to think that Ringo made more money and still does to this day versus Ronnie . According to a Google search I just did Ringo net worth in 2020 was reported at $350 Million dollars , versus Ronnie Wood at $220 Million . I think it pays to have been behind the kit for the Fab Four from Liverpool England .

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 29, 2022 21:23

TheGreek
[ So I have to think that Ringo made more money and still does to this day versus Ronnie . According to a Google search I just did Ringo net worth in 2020 was reported at $350 Million dollars , versus Ronnie Wood at $220 Million . I think it pays to have been behind the kit for the Fab Four from Liverpool England .

$350 Million vs. $220 Million.

At that level, who cares?

To quote Jack Nicholson in Chinatown, "How much better can you eat??"

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 30, 2022 05:31

loog droog
TheGreek
[ So I have to think that Ringo made more money and still does to this day versus Ronnie . According to a Google search I just did Ringo net worth in 2020 was reported at $350 Million dollars , versus Ronnie Wood at $220 Million . I think it pays to have been behind the kit for the Fab Four from Liverpool England .

$350 Million vs. $220 Million.

At that level, who cares?

To quote Jack Nicholson in Chinatown, "How much better can you eat??"

Well strictly by those numbers, I'd say 50% better at least.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 30, 2022 15:20

Revolver Deluxe-reissue - rumoured track listings - [SuperDeluxeEdition.com] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-09-06 15:35 by Irix.

Date: August 30, 2022 16:51

Irix

I haven't been tempted before to get a Beatles deluxe set but this looks pretty interesting.

Posted by: ds1984 ()
Date: August 30, 2022 21:01

I do not "shit" on Ringo

So I wasn't clear enough that he was the right man at the right place at the right time ?

RollingFreak
ds1984
Ringo got the job because he was the best available drummer that fitted the band.

And what risk did he take? He was in with a band that just got a recording contract.

Right time, right place to go.

They did not need a virtuoso, they just needed a good enough drummer.
No single Beatle is a virtuoso but at least two are geniuses.

We're still shitting on Ringo? They loved Ringo the second they played with him. And he did excellent work with them. He doesn't have to be the greatest of all time, he was exactly what they needed. I'm not sure why that needs to be defended decade after decade. Their word on things should be enough, and his work should speak for itself.

Posted by: ds1984 ()
Date: August 30, 2022 21:07

CD 4 & 5 for me

Irix

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-30 21:14 by ds1984.

Date: August 30, 2022 22:06

ds1984
I do not "shit" on Ringo

So I wasn't clear enough that he was the right man at the right place at the right time ?

I think that Ringo was the Ron Wood of the Beatles.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: August 30, 2022 22:26

Just saw Peter Jackson's "Get Back". The restauration was marvelous and there were good moments and it's was kind surprising to see how young - and smiling Lennon often looked. But it was way too long and full of repitition. Interesting though in Stones context to see the impact Stones has. One get the idea that the table has turned for good. Were The Beatles now heavily influenced by One plus one/Sympathy for the Devil by Goddard? And by miles surpased by Beggars Banquet comceptually and musically? Yes they were. And then The Beatles split - after making Abbey Road where they were session musisians to each other (but it was a better album than Let It Be.).

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: August 30, 2022 22:30

TheflyingDutchman
ds1984
I do not "shit" on Ringo

that's what I said (somewhere above)

Date: August 30, 2022 22:33

slewan
TheflyingDutchman
ds1984
I do not "shit" on Ringo

that's what I said (somewhere above)

Thank you, I missed that .thumbs up

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 31, 2022 04:48

GetYerAngie
..."Get Back". ...But it was way too long and full of repitition...
It was great, I'd gladly watch several more hours!

GetYerAngie
... after making Abbey Road where they were session musisians to each other (but it was a better album than Let It Be.).
I much prefer the Let It Be album over Abbey Rd.

Date: August 31, 2022 06:21

GetYerAngie
Just saw Peter Jackson's "Get Back". The restauration was marvelous and there were good moments and it's was kind surprising to see how young - and smiling Lennon often looked. But it was way too long and full of repitition. Interesting though in Stones context to see the impact Stones has. One get the idea that the table has turned for good. Were The Beatles now heavily influenced by One plus one/Sympathy for the Devil by Goddard? And by miles surpased by Beggars Banquet comceptually and musically? Yes they were. And then The Beatles split - after making Abbey Road where they were session musisians to each other (but it was a better album than Let It Be.).

You definitely got the sense that John cared what the Stones were up to.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 31, 2022 06:31

Irix

Thanks Irix - should be fantastic just like all of their other deluxe releases have been.

Date: August 31, 2022 13:26

treaclefingers
GetYerAngie

You definitely got the sense that John cared what the Stones were up to.
OMG big time . As he tried to do it in a very low key kind of manner cracking jokes and such , but they were clearly on his mind for sure !

Date: August 31, 2022 13:59

Speaking of John Lennon he comes across to me in a very dynamic way . Such as the front man or leader . Talk about personality and there is an aura about him and it is very noticeable to this crazed Stones fan that of course likes the Beatles , but I was and am a Stones fan first . It just is mind blowing to me in what a huge force of nature that John Lennon was . Another observation from the Get Back DVD is that Yoko Ono is more of a butterfly or a fly on the wall taking it all in , yes she is glued to John Lennon side and all , but I had such a negative image or impression of her with all the stuff that she broke up the Beatles and stuff and I don't have the same thoughts about her anymore . Paul McCartney is another story as he to me is more of a nagging pest and a ninny in the way he really royally pissed off George Harrison and Paul was trying to get his bandmates to bear down and get serious and such . It just shows to me the immense talent that the Fab four possessed in there heyday of creativity . I mean there was a lot of clowning around and goofing off , and when they were jamming and clowning around the talent was just oozing out of them like a river or ocean ,but when that red light came on and Glyn Johns said we are doing a take they were all business and that is very impressive in the way they just flipped a switch and went off like no one else ! Another observation speaking of wall flowers is George Martin , who I thought exerted more influence and I did not see that . I know he is an immense and very talented producer , but he really didn't go out of his way to stick his nose in there creative process . What I did not know/ realize was how much of a influence or boss that Brain Epstein was to the Beatles . This is all very facinating and impressive and I wish the Stones had done something like this with one of there Golden era gems and let us get a peek of there creative and recording process . One last thing and I guess this gets chalked up to how professional the Beatles were is that for the most part they didn't look hammered or stoned or wasted , I mean Ringo came in with blood shot eyes a few times and it just strikes me as when they went to the studio to work they meant business .

Date: August 31, 2022 17:26

Hairball
Irix

Thanks Irix - should be fantastic just like all of their other deluxe releases have been.

Quite so, looking forward to it. The quality, content and format of the presentation of previous deluxe releases has been quite superb.

Date: August 31, 2022 20:59

TheGreek
This is all very facinating and impressive and I wish the Stones had done something like this with one of there Golden era gems and let us get a peek of there creative and recording process .

I guess maybe if they had held onto the tapes of the SFTD sessions, we maybe could get even more detail but from that era I think that's probably all we have.

Date: September 1, 2022 13:07

treaclefingers
TheGreek
This is all very facinating and impressive and I wish the Stones had done something like this with one of there Golden era gems and let us get a peek of there creative and recording process .

I guess maybe if they had held onto the tapes of the SFTD sessions, we maybe could get even more detail but from that era I think that's probably all we have.
Darn shame , but I guess the Stones were very private in regards to there creative process .

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 2, 2022 17:15

New Album by Julian Lennon:

9-Sep-2022 - [www.Amazon.co.uk] , [www.jpc.de] , [www.Qobuz.com] , [Music.Apple.com]

From [www.jpc.de] :

"Hey Jude, don't make it bad.

Perhaps no one is more aware of the burden that a great name can bring than Julian Lennon. Throughout his life, the musician, photographer, writer and philanthropist was, for many, first and foremost the son of Beatles legend John Lennon.

In the meantime, however, at least Julian Lennon himself seems to have made peace with his legacy. The 59-year-old is now releasing 'Jude,' his first album since 2011's 'Everything Changes.'

The title is a reference to the Beatles song 'Hey Jude,' which Paul McCartney wrote in 1968 for the then five-year-old Julian. According to Lennon, now was the right time to bring it full circle. 'I think I honored the song and I think I honored where I came from, my legacy, so to speak, my heritage.'

'Jude' is Julian Lennon's seventh album. Since his successful debut 'Valotte' in 1984, he has very regularly released new long players until the early nineties, but after that only sporadically.

Instead, Julian Lennon has given priority to his other fields of activity in recent decades. As a celebrated art photographer, he has been exhibiting in galleries worldwide since 2010. And as founder of the White Feather Foundation, Lennon has received numerous humanitarian awards, most recently the 2021 World Literacy Award for his significant contribution to literacy. He is also a New York Times bestselling author and currently has four children's books with environmental themes in his repertoire. His most recent title, The Morning Tribe, was published in November 2021.

But now Julian Lennon finally returns with new music. The pre-released songs from 'Jude' promise a magnificently produced collection of timelessly catchy pop songs with an optimistic message."

From [www.Amazon.co.uk] :

"Julian Lennon didn't plan to make another album after his 2011 LP, Everything Changes, but as time went on, something shifted. The artist found himself revisiting songs he'd written and recorded 30 years ago, and decided to update the production, to make the tracks more relevant in today's world. The creative process sparked new music as well. These songs, drawn from the past three decades, have evolved into Julian's seventh studio album, JUDE.

The album's title is a reference to the Beatles' iconic song 'Hey Jude,' written by Paul McCartney, to cheer up a five-year-old Julian following his parents' separation. The album cover, a photograph of the musician's younger self accompanied by McCartney's handwritten title, to the arrangement of the song, illustrates how Julian has come to terms with his past as he looks forward to the future.

'...we are all still dealing with some of the same time old questions, from 30 plus years ago, to present day. Making JUDE was truly a journey through my life and through all the questions I've had-not only for the world, but for myself. It's very much like looking in a mirror all these years later'."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-09-06 16:55 by Irix.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 2, 2022 21:21

The Rise of Beatlemania as Chronicled in a Teenager's Diary from 1964

Ted Gioia

[tedgioia.substack.com]

Date: September 6, 2022 01:01

Date: September 6, 2022 13:11

The Beatles GET BACK film was nominated for 5 Emmys..........and won 5 awards.

Outstanding Sound Mixing
Outstanding Directing
Outstanding Picture Editing
Outstanding Documentary
Outstanding Sound Editing

[www.emmys.com]

All in all, outstanding!

Date: September 6, 2022 14:35

Cristiano Radtke

[www.instagram.com]

so its the stereo and the mono mix of the album plus two other CDs featuring a couple of different takes of diffent songs (can't read the titles but it seems that some times are presented a couple of times)
it short: seems like we're heading for another disappointment…

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: September 6, 2022 15:25

It's nice to read that Julian has found his way back to music. For sure he has inherited some of his dad's talents.
I learned that he is the proud owner of the original sitar that Brian Jones used during the recording of Paint It Black (Brian owned a couple more). He could use the sitar to add a special sound to his music. Brian would have loved the idea.

Best of luck, Julian thumbs up

smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Date: September 6, 2022 21:05

slewan
Cristiano Radtke

[www.instagram.com]

so its the stereo and the mono mix of the album plus two other CDs featuring a couple of different takes of diffent songs (can't read the titles but it seems that some times are presented a couple of times)

It looks like the tracklist that has leaked: [webgrafikk.com]

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: September 6, 2022 21:57

slewan

What is/are the other "disappointment"(s)? Hasn't every Beatles re-issue been amazing?

Date: September 6, 2022 23:39

georgie48
It's nice to read that Julian has found his way back to music. For sure he has inherited some of his dad's talents.
I learned that he is the proud owner of the original sitar that Brian Jones used during the recording of Paint It Black (Brian owned a couple more). He could use the sitar to add a special sound to his music. Brian would have loved the idea.

smileys with beer

Wow, that is cool!

And regarding the 'disappointment' with new Beatles releases...I don't get what the expectation is. It's not like they've got 36 unheard unreleased new tracks ready to drop for 2022. For fans of the Stones and the Beatles the fact we've gotten this much content 50 years on is astounding. Quit acting spoiled! (and that wasn't meant for you Georgie!)

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 7, 2022 04:40

treaclefingers
georgie48

smileys with beer

Wow, that is cool!

And regarding the 'disappointment' with new Beatles releases...I don't get what the expectation is. It's not like they've got 36 unheard unreleased new tracks ready to drop for 2022. For fans of the Stones and the Beatles the fact we've gotten this much content 50 years on is astounding. Quit acting spoiled! (and that wasn't meant for you Georgie!)

I would pretty much agree with this. I understand the disappointment in there's probably hours that they could include. Rough cuts, presenting the track as it builds so we see it in different stages but like 10 versions of the song. They obviously have that and they seem to skimp. Having said that, like treacle says, its been 50 years, so at this point ANYTHING is something. It should have probably come out 20 years ago so at this point I'm accustomed to expecting nothing since the moment has passed, so then I'm pleasantly surprised by the little we do get.

I probably listened to the Sgt Pepper's box set once, cause its relatively worthless, but I'm glad to have it to hear once than not at all. But an Esher demo CD would have probably meant more like 20-25 years ago. If that makes sense.

Date: September 7, 2022 05:31

shawnriffhard1
slewan

What is/are the other "disappointment"(s)? Hasn't every Beatles re-issue been amazing?

The White Album box was great but the rest? In all cases (exept the WA) I thought the two CD edition was enough

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...190191192193194195196197198199200...LastNext
Current Page: 195 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1832
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home