Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...185186187188189190191192193194195...LastNext
Current Page: 190 of 223
Re: Is Jack White lighting a fire or just different? Stones vs. Beatles...
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: April 10, 2022 23:00

The Beatles copied a hell of a lot of people. Ripped them off, particularly early rock songs.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 10, 2022 23:06

It's safe to say that without American music (blues, rock, r&b, etc.), neither the Beatles or Stones would exist as we know them.
But it's also safe to say it was the Beatles who first laid the foundation for all the other British bands that followed, and without the Beatles no others would exist as we know them.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 10, 2022 23:37

Listening to jack White talk about music is like listening to Danny Partridge talk about bass playing.

Date: April 10, 2022 23:52

Lennon and McCartney were great singers. The early Beatles had an exuburance that could not be topped.They had a unique sound. But they ripped off a lot of songs in their writing. They had a knack for taking other people's ideas and mixing them together. And their solo music is really boring and lacks the Beatles magic. I cannot think of much solo music by John that was memorable or interesting. If you like his lyrics fine, but the music was nothing special. I think the Stones music is much more creative after 1967.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 10, 2022 23:53

Buddy Holly ... Motown ... Cliff & Shadows ...

ROCKMAN

Date: April 11, 2022 00:30

Nikkei
Not to imply he's in a phase similar to Johnny Depp but look at his face and compare it to Johnny Depp

Back in his wild and whacky Jacko phase:

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: April 11, 2022 02:07

Hairball
It's safe to say that without American music (blues, rock, r&b, etc.), neither the Beatles or Stones would exist as we know them.
But it's also safe to say it was the Beatles who first laid the foundation for all the other British bands that followed, and without the Beatles no others would exist as we know them.

It's safer to say that without the Beatles, rock would have been less cartoonish and their silly movies would not exist. Between cheesy Paul and Yoko Oh-no, the whole thing went kaput. Thanks be The Stones were making great songs and performed them all over the world.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: April 11, 2022 02:09

Whale
NashvilleBlues
His new album is pretty solid.
The reviews are terrible.
Since his first two solo records i don't pick up his records anymore.
I still listen to the dead weather quite a bit.
That was a cool band.

His last album wasn’t good. This one is. I don’t give a shit about reviews.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 11, 2022 05:25

It's safer to say that without the Beatles, rock would have been less cartoonish

Thats what all that jelly-baby sugar will do to ya ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 11, 2022 06:18

More Hot Rocks
Listening to jack White talk about music is like listening to Danny Partridge talk about bass playing.

Jack White is a great guitarist, songwriter, and music historian releasing vintage recordings through his company in Nashville. I had no idea Danny Partridge was that talented.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 11, 2022 06:23

Taylor1
I cannot think of much solo music by John that was memorable or interesting. If you like his lyrics fine, but the music was nothing special. I think the Stones music is much more creative after 1967.

John's solo work, initially, was a pulling away from the overproduced sonics of George Martin. His first album, Plastic Ono Band, is a masterpiece, and maybe the finest rock album of the 70s. With Imagine he seemed to be trying for more commercial recognition, seeing Paul outdistancing him on the charts. (Though Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey might as well be a Beatle tune). By the time of Whatever Gets You Through the Night John was desperate for a number one. He got it, and then stopped caring and dropped from sight.

I think the Stones music was always creative, right up to Voodoo Lounge. There were a few clunkers, but nobody lasted that long in a meaningful way.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: April 11, 2022 09:00

My favorite artist, just saw him Friday (when he proposed and got married onstage) and Saturday in Detroit with many more shows to come, and his new album is amazing. There's another one in a more acoustic vein due later this year. (And as for being relevant, his vinyl sales have broken records and he recently had the #1 digital single.)

In this article he's explaining, not insulting--the Stones knew how the industry worked and took every opportunity to tap into what worked. They didn't want to be an obscure blues band, and because the Beatles preceded them chronologically they learned from them and used some of their tricks to build an audience. That's smart. That's what he was saying. But I guess he comes across as more controversial than he's trying to be. He's a fan, listen to him on the Exile DVD, for instance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-11 09:03 by Aquamarine.

Date: April 11, 2022 12:33

24FPS
Taylor1
I cannot think of much solo music by John that was memorable or interesting. If you like his lyrics fine, but the music was nothing special. I think the Stones music is much more creative after 1967.

John's solo work, initially, was a pulling away from the overproduced sonics of George Martin. His first album, Plastic Ono Band, is a masterpiece, and maybe the finest rock album of the 70s. With Imagine he seemed to be trying for more commercial recognition, seeing Paul outdistancing him on the charts. (Though Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey might as well be a Beatle tune). By the time of Whatever Gets You Through the Night John was desperate for a number one. He got it, and then stopped caring and dropped from sight.

I think the Stones music was always creative, right up to Voodoo Lounge. There were a few clunkers, but nobody lasted that long in a meaningful way.
Plastic Ono Band is a tedious listen.I have no interest to hear boring , self indulgent, self induced fake pain diatribes like God or Mother ever again.Maybe the gloomy Working Class Hero, but that’s it.I wouldn’t characterize it as a great album

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-11 17:49 by Taylor1.

Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 11, 2022 14:47

Julian's version of Imagine was very good.

Also yeah, I understand that people might not prefer Jack White's music or voice, and thats completely valid, but its almost too cliche of a board of this demographic to discount his talent and genuine love of music which we all have. You can not like him but to trash him personally based on that is to attack one of very few allies to real music these days. Its very "back in my day..." which I feel a lot of times too but isn't really applicable to Jack IMO if you know a single iota about him, even if I too am not the biggest fan of him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-11 14:54 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 11, 2022 15:02

Taylor1
24FPS
Taylor1

Plastic Ono Band is a tedious listen.I have no interest to hear boring , self indulgent, self induced fake paindiatribes like Mother ever again.Maybe the gloomy Working Class Hero, but that’s it.I wouldn’t characterize it as a great album

Without hestitation I've always thought John's solo music was the most consequential of the Beatles, and easily the best. Paul was my favorite Beatle but whatever magic he consistently had in the Beatles was gone by his solo career (or his solo career proved what an unstoppable force that band was to contribute to what he wrote). George had arguably the best solo album of all of them right out of the gate but then not music afterwards, and Ringo was Ringo. John, IMO, was easily the most consistent with solo work, and every album is pretty different and distinct, with very few clunkers. The first two are two widely different masterpieces, and Mind Games, Some Time In NYC and Walls And Bridges are great records too. Underrated in a lot of ways even with the myth that is John Lennon. His songs on Double Fantasy are outstanding as well, presenting a new side of him, and the Plastic Ono Band was a great rock and roll outfit for him back in the day. Not saying the man was perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but his solo career was tops and I've never thought it was even close between them. To me, Band On The Run is Paul firing on absolute all cylinders in his solo career and I STILL don't think it touches either John's first or second solo albums (I also adore Ram, but again, far cry from anything Lennon was doing).

Date: April 11, 2022 15:09

24FPS
More Hot Rocks

Jack White is a great guitarist, songwriter, and music historian releasing vintage recordings through his company in Nashville. I had no idea Danny Partridge was that talented.

Yeah. MHR is way off with that comment. Wow!!

Date: April 11, 2022 15:11

RollingFreak
Julian's version of Imagine was very good.

Also yeah, I understand that people might not prefer Jack White's music or voice, and thats completely valid, but its almost too cliche of a board of this demographic to discount his talent and genuine love of music which we all have. You can not like him but to trash him personally based on that is to attack one of very few allies to real music these days. Its very "back in my day..." which I feel a lot of times too but isn't really applicable to Jack IMO if you know a single iota about him, even if I too am not the biggest fan of him.

Very well said. Jack is the real deal, like him or not. I do happen to like him.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: April 11, 2022 16:12

I really like The Dead Weather. Jack has a deep respect for the past, maybe more than old people. And I love his experiments with color vinyl, especially the one with the liquid in the middle. A real artist.

Date: April 11, 2022 17:37

frankotero
I really like The Dead Weather. Jack has a deep respect for the past, maybe more than old people. And I love his experiments with color vinyl, especially the one with the liquid in the middle. A real artist.

Funny how people complain about rock dying, but then trash Jack White, who, by many accounts, is one of the best guitarists of the last 25 years. He has his own record store (where they directly record live performances to acetate), makes instruments, and respects music history. You don't have to like him, but to totally discredit him or write him off because of his personality or his hair is absurd.

...and the Raconteurs are pretty damn good, too!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 11, 2022 21:49

More Hot Rocks

I'm not sure that I agree, but I will say that was an amazing bitch slap.

Date: April 11, 2022 22:13

treaclefingers
More Hot Rocks

MHR will not be allowed to attend the Oscars for ten years now.

Fun fact: Mick Jagger went bowling with Jack White and Death From Above 1979 after DFA 1979’s Third Man Records show (live, straight to acetate).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-12 02:27 by NashvilleBlues.

Date: April 12, 2022 23:57

Amazing to think Ringo will be 82 in July....

Ringo Starr & His All-Starr Band Add 19 Dates to 2022 North American Tour

RINGO

Ringo Starr already had big plans in place for this summer, taking his All-Starr Band back out on the road for another tour of classic songs and wonderful music memories — and now the schedule has been updated with 19 more shows picking back up in September. Accompanying the Beatles legend each night will be All-Starr Band regulars Steve Lukather, Colin Hay, Warren Ham, Hamish Stuart and Greg Bissonette, with Edgar Winter returning to the band for this run.

As you might imagine, this will be Ringo’s first tour since the COVID-19 pandemic took effect in 2020 and halted plans for that year and 2021. Ringo, of course, has kept quite busy in the meantime, releasing two EPs in 2021 (Zoom In and Change the World), both of which were star-studded affairs as well. He also has a very special new coffee table book available via Julien’s Auctions.

Said Ringo when the tour dates were first revealed:

“I can’t wait to get back out on the road and play. This is the longest I’ve been off the road in years – up until 2020 I was touring every year with the All Starrs – and I’ve really missed it. Making music in the studio has been great, and it certainly saved me during the pandemic, but nothing beats playing live with great musicians in front of an audience. I love my fans and they love me and it’s going to be wonderful to be peace and loving and playing for them again.”

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: April 13, 2022 00:08

I like Jack White, but I remember thinking "Hotel Yorba" was a shameless copy of Country Joe's "Fixin' To Die Rag", so White really shouldn't be accusing other artists of copying others.

I will try to check out his new album now. I was going to skip it because I thought "Hi De Ho" was terrible. But if there are some good songs on the album, I'll be happy to hear them.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: April 13, 2022 00:35

NashvilleBlues
treaclefingers
More Hot Rocks

Fun fact: Mick Jagger went bowling with Jack White and Death From Above 1979 after DFA 1979’s Third Man Records show (live, straight to acetate).

Were you at that show by any chance, NB? It was surreal to see Mick there and walking through the store past those of us lined up to buy the album.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 22, 2022 01:04

No idea whether this is credible or not, but some of you may have some info or insight.

THE ROLLING STONES’ MICK JAGGER MAY HAVE SUNG ON A BEATLES SONG

by Milan Sharma April 17, 2022

A typical Beatles song doesn’t sound like a typical Rolling Stones song. Despite this, there is reason to believe Mick Jagger and the other Rolling Stones performed vocals on a Beatles track. Paul McCartney revealed how newspapers inspired the song.

Paul McCartney and John Lennon combined 2 incomplete songs to make The Beatles’ ‘Baby, You’re a Rich Man’

The 1997 book Paul McCartney: Many Years From Now discusses the origin of “Baby, You’re a Rich Man.” John Lennon started writing a song about hippies titled “One of the Beautiful People.” Meanwhile, Paul had a chorus that went “Baby, you’re a rich man.” John and Paul combined their incomplete songs to craft “Baby, You’re a Rich Man.”

Paul discussed his memories of creating the song. “Baby, You’re a Rich Man’ was co-written by John and me at Cavendish Avenue,” he recalled. “‘Tuned to a natural E’ is a line that I remember us writing, a slight pun on the word ‘naturally’ — ‘natural E.’”

Paul said one question led to the creation of “Baby, You’re a Rich Man.” “There was a lot of talk in the newspapers then about the beautiful people,” he remembered. “That was what they called them, so we figured, well, the question was, how does it feel to be one of the beautiful people?”

Why it’s possible Mick Jagger and the other Rolling Stones performed on the song
Paul revealed why he liked the mix of “Baby, You’re a Rich Man” so much. “We recorded it at a rather exciting recording session at Olympic, in Barnes, we’re Keith Grant mixed it, instantly, right there. He stood up at the console as he mixed it, so it was a very exciting mix, we were really quite buzzed. I always liked that track.”

Baby, You’re a Rich Man” was recorded during a late-night session on May 11, 1967. The Rolling Stones were at the session, which lasted from 9 p.m. to 3 a.m. One of the tape boxes which came from that session has “+Mick Jagger?” written on it. According to Paul McCartney: Many Years From Now, his might mean he and the other Rolling Stones performed on the song’s final chorus.

How The Beatles’ ‘Baby, You’re a Rich Man’ performed on the charts
“Baby, You’re a Rich Man” became a minor hit in the United States. The song peaked at No. 34 on the Billboard Hot 100, staying on the chart for five weeks. “Baby, You’re a Rich Man” appeared on the album Magical Mystery Tour. The album peaked at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 for eight weeks and stayed on the chart for 93 weeks altogether.

The Official Charts Company reports “Baby, You’re a Rich Man” did not chart in the United Kingdom. Meanwhile, Magical Mystery Tour became a bigger hit in the U.K. It peaked at No. 31 and stayed on the chart for 10 weeks.

“Baby, You’re a Rich Man” wasn’t one of The Beatles’ biggest hits, but it has an interesting connection to newspapers.

[brokenheartcasm.com]

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 22, 2022 09:32

"A typical Beatles song doesn't sound like a typical Rolling Stones song".

Indeed.

As far as "Baby, You're a Rich Man" go, I go with the headline: the only thing that's somehow interesting in that song is a speculation if Mick sings there or not. Mostly with Beatles stuff I sense there a greatness although it doesn't work for me, but this song is total crap. Had it not the mighty Beatles, no one would remember this shit. But a classic case of Beatlelogy: any fart by them is a sort of genius masterpiece, full of 'experientalism', 'innovation' or whatever.

Now DJ, put "The Lantern" on!

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-22 09:39 by Doxa.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 29, 2022 23:11

Willie Nelson - "With A Little Help From My Friends"

Date: April 30, 2022 19:30

Aquamarine
NashvilleBlues
treaclefingers
More Hot Rocks

Were you at that show by any chance, NB? It was surreal to see Mick there and walking through the store past those of us lined up to buy the album.

Yes. I was at the show but didn’t see Mick. What a bummer! Glad you saw him. What an experience! That must’ve been before I got there. I definitely didn’t see him watching DFA1979. Did you?

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: April 30, 2022 20:22

Anyone know what happened to the Get Back blu ray, dvd release? It seems to have disappeared

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 30, 2022 20:28

"PLEASE NOTE: The release date for the Get Back DVD and Blu-ray has been postponed. This item will ship on or around the new release date once announced."

[usastore.thebeatles.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...185186187188189190191192193194195...LastNext
Current Page: 190 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1910
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home