Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...183184185186187188189190191192193...LastNext
Current Page: 188 of 223
Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: January 31, 2022 17:23

treaclefingers
Rockman
He spotted a penny down there on the ledge ....

hey I see a Penny there on the ledge, lemme go get it oops, I kicked it, now it in the Lane!

and then they broke into............ Penny Lane

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 31, 2022 17:40

Irix

Question for those who saw the IMAX special screening event - was the rooftop-performance shown 'uninterrupted' (Beatles only) or was it the same cut as in the Disney docuseries with policemen and interviews ?

From [SuperDeluxeEdition.com] :

"SDE can confirm that this special one-hour ‘Rooftop Concert’ (not ‘Rooftop Performance’, as the audio stream is branded) is identical to what is in the full Get Back documentary. It is not a special re-edit. All the interviews with people are still in the cut. It does start with the intro at the very beginning of Get Back – which gives you the potted history of The Beatles – and then cuts to the activity on 30 January 1969. The post-Rooftop footage remains (i.e. listening to playback and recording bits of ‘Two of Us’, ‘The Long and Winding Road’ and ‘Let It Be’)."

Date: January 31, 2022 17:40

Peter Jackson would love to offer an ‘extended cut’ of The Beatles Get Back - 3 or 4 hours of extra footage could be added

31 Jan 2022 · BY PAUL SINCLAIR

At yesterday’s global premiere of the IMAX presentation of The Beatles Get Back: The Rooftop Concert (attended by SDE in London), director Peter Jackson revealed that he would love to offer an extended cut of the full Get Back documentary that would add three to four hours of footage including full length performance clips and “important conversations” that deserve to be heard.

He urged fans to petition Disney and Apple Corps, if this is something they would like to see, since he indicated that Disney may be reluctant to allow him to do this.

Jackson also revealed that, as part of the research for his editing process, he and his team interviewed as many people as they could, who were there at the time, so he could understand “the truth” of the events that took place, including during the famous Rooftop Concert sequence. He told the audience that he thought if they were going to interview all these people, they may as well film them “for posterity”. In yesterday’s live interview with Jackson, which was broadcast around the world to various IMAX cinemas, he showed a clip of the infamous PC Ray Dagg (the policeman who tried to stop the concert) being interviewed on the top of 3 Savile Row, which would have taken place a few years ago. Peter said that if/when Michael Lindsay-Hogg’s original Let It Be was issued on DVD or blu-ray, he hoped such interviews might form part of the bonus material.

Other points of interest that came out of the interview:

- ALL Let It Be filmed footage has been restored and handed back to Apple for future use, not just what Jackson needed for his documentary.

- He said that the isolated audio feed from the vox pop interviews on the street confirmed that The Beatles were indeed very loud, contrary to opinions which thought there equipment/amps would not have made such a racket. People had to “speak up” to be heard over the noise

- Peter offered much praise to original director Michael Lindsay-Hogg for his direction and for the impressive 10-camera set-up for the rooftop concert, although he jokingly pointed out that the hidden camera in the reception area of 3 Savile Row was the “worst hidden camera ever” since it was hidden in a big white “garden shed” and was rather obvious (there’s a few shots of it in the documentary).

- Lindsay-Hogg was “herding cats” much of the time and Jackson was impressed by his patience, saying that he would have read the “riot act” to The Beatles a few times if he’d been the director. Jackson also expressed incredulity that any grand concert event could have been organised in time (as is talked about constantly during the Get Back doc) because while he has “hundreds of people” helping him on set when he makes films, Lindsay-Hogg appeared to have a team of “two people”.

- Jackson made the point that The Beatles we see performing up on the rooftop are the Fab Four from the Cavern Club and Hamburg rather than the group filmed at Shea Stadium, for example. Like the early days in Liverpool, this was a lunchtime performance and indeed, John Lennon jokes a few times about taking requests, which is something they used to do at the Cavern.

[SuperDeluxeEdition.com]

Date: January 31, 2022 17:45

Germany, IMAX: 9-12 Feb 2022 - [Sinsheim.Technik-Museum.de] , 9-11 Feb 2022 UCI-Kinos Berlin, Hamburg, Bochum, Düsseldorf - [www.UCI-Kinowelt.de] .

Switzerland, IMAX: 9-Feb-2022 - [www.Pathe.ch] .

Italia, IMAX: 9-13 Feb 2022 - [www.ComingSoon.it] .

Belgium, IMAX: 11-Feb-2022 - [Kinepolis.be] , 11-13 Feb 2022 - [www.Pathe.be] .

UK, IMAX: 11-Feb-2022 - [www.EmpireCinemas.co.uk] .

USA, IMAX: 11-13 Feb 2022 - 'The Accenture IMAX Domed Theatre' - Charlotte (NC) - [Science.DiscoveryPlace.org] .

Japan, IMAX: 9-13 Feb 2022 - [NME-JP.com] .

Other locations - see: [www.IMAX.com] .

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-02 15:05 by Irix.

Date: January 31, 2022 18:05

From [www.HollywoodReporter.com] :

Box Office: Peter Jackson’s ‘The Beatles: Get Back’ Concert Doc Plays to Near-Sellout Crowds

Jackson, Imax and Disney have partnered on a special feature celebrating the iconic band's last concert in 1969.

BY PAMELA MCCLINTOCK, JANUARY 30, 2022 2:07PM

On Jan. 30, 1969, The Beatles staged their final live performance on the rooftop of their Apple Corps headquarters in London’s Savile Row. In commemoration of the iconic event, Disney and Imax on Sunday unveiled a special theatrical version of Peter Jackson’s documentary The Beatles: Get Back that played to near-sellout crowds in nearly 70 Imax theaters across North America and at the BFI Imax theater in London.

Sunday’s debut of the 60-minute film - which features the roughly 45-minute concert in its entirety - was accompanied by a live Q&A with Jackson and BBC broadcaster, author and musician Matt Everitt that was beamed into cinemas. Jackson used footage from his eight-hour Beatles documentary series to create the larger-than-life presentation of the rooftop concert. The acclaimed series itself debuted on Disney+ over Thanksgiving. According to Imax, a majority of Sunday’s locations were sold out in cities including New York, Boston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Denver, Charlotte, St. Paul, Pittsburgh, San Antonio and Cleveland. The special even generated roughly $500,000 in grosses.

The Beatles: Get Back - The Rooftop Performance will play exclusively in select Imax locations across the globe over the Feb. 11-13 weekend. The concert footage was digitally remastered with proprietary Imax technology. “Peter Jackson edited this together so that you can see the concert in its full glory,” says Imax Entertainment president Megan Colligan. “And the turnout shows the power of coming together in a theater even though it’s on Disney+.”

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 31, 2022 18:39

2000 LYFH
treaclefingers
Rockman
He spotted a penny down there on the ledge ....

hey I see a Penny there on the ledge, lemme go get it oops, I kicked it, now it in the Lane!

and then they broke into............ Penny Lane

I was thinking Lovely Rita may be more appropriate. Penny for the parking meter.

Date: January 31, 2022 18:50

Interview with the cop that shut it all down, with no regrets all these years later. Quite good:

[www.ctvnews.ca]

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 4, 2022 14:03

Irix

The Beatles: Get Back - The Rooftop Performance will play exclusively in select Imax locations across the globe over the Feb. 11-13 weekend. The concert footage was digitally remastered with proprietary Imax technology. “Peter Jackson edited this together so that you can see the concert in its full glory,” says Imax Entertainment president Megan Colligan. “And the turnout shows the power of coming together in a theater even though it’s on Disney+.”

I didn't make it to any of the Jan. 30 screenings, but will definitely be catching it next weekend. It's playing at an IMAX theater that's right down the street from where I work.

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: February 4, 2022 18:38

treaclefingers
Interview with the cop that shut it all down, with no regrets all these years later. Quite good:

[www.ctvnews.ca]
Hmm..."shutting down" and "pulling the plug" on the rooftop concert implies that The Beatles had more songs to perform. If they did all the songs they intended then saying he "pulled the plug" is rather disingenuous. Was the setlist longer? First I've heard of that. Imagine if they actually were supposed to play longer, like a bunch of their older tunes they've never performed live before or something, but this cop ruined it all.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-04 18:50 by Boognish.

Date: February 4, 2022 21:53

Boognish
treaclefingers

[www.ctvnews.ca]
Hmm..."shutting down" and "pulling the plug" on the rooftop concert implies that The Beatles had more songs to perform. If they did all the songs they intended then saying he "pulled the plug" is rather disingenuous. Was the setlist longer? First I've heard of that. Imagine if they actually were supposed to play longer, like a bunch of their older tunes they've never performed live before or something, but this cop ruined it all.

There's no indication that they ever rehearsed any of their older hits for the Rooftop performance, although the Get Back sessions did include this rather horrendous and bluesy version of "Love Me Do."

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 5, 2022 02:18

This sounds more like a Stones demo grinning smiley

Date: February 5, 2022 04:07

Boognish
treaclefingers

[www.ctvnews.ca]

You're getting bogged in semantics boognish. Hey, that sounds funny, boognish bogged. Anyway...ATTEMPTED to pull the plug then. I'm not saying he thwarted the show from adding another 8 songs...just saying "here's the dood, 50 years later". An interesting story.

Date: February 6, 2022 12:25

Looks like I'm going all in on these IMAX screenings next weekend. I've got tickets to see it twice, Friday night and Sunday afternoon (and I'll still get home in plenty of time to watch the Super Bowl). I'd probably go Saturday too, but I gotta work that day.

Date: February 6, 2022 15:55

There's a delay in the release of the 'Get Back'-Documentary on DVD/BR. From The Beatles on 2-Feb-2022:

"Hello All - We had a technical and supply chain issue with our “The Beatles: Get Back” Blu-ray & DVD. We’re sorry for the delay. We look forward to sharing a new release date soon." - [Twitter.com] .

See also: [SuperDeluxeEdition.com] .

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: February 6, 2022 18:19

treaclefingers
Boognish
treaclefingers

[www.ctvnews.ca]

You're getting bogged in semantics boognish. Hey, that sounds funny, boognish bogged. Anyway...ATTEMPTED to pull the plug then. I'm not saying he thwarted the show from adding another 8 songs...just saying "here's the dood, 50 years later". An interesting story.
You're right. It's semantics. Cop who "pulled the plug" gets more clicks than "cop who patiently waited until The Beatles were done playing". Interesting story, indeed.

Date: February 6, 2022 20:04

Boognish
treaclefingers
Boognish
treaclefingers

[www.ctvnews.ca]

You're right. It's semantics. Cop who "pulled the plug" gets more clicks than "cop who patiently waited until The Beatles were done playing". Interesting story, indeed.

Well and honestly, if he hadn't been there pestering them and threatening them with arrest, maybe they would have been on a little longer with a couple of other cuts. We'll never know, but again that isn't even the point I was trying to make.

It was..."hey...here's the cop all these years later! Cool!"

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: February 7, 2022 18:10

I think the rooftop concert is mediocre at best. The visual and audio quality of this documentary is incredible, but there is nothing great or terribly revealing about the content. Mostly because John added little to the songs that were created.Idig a Pony and Don't Let Me Down are two of his weaker songs. Across the Universe and One After 909 are songs already recorded before these sessions . Their last album Abbey Road still has the Beatle magic

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-07 18:34 by Taylor1.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: February 7, 2022 18:41

Ringo Starr and His All Starr Band Finally Set to Return to the Road This Spring

“I can’t wait to get back out on the road and play,” Starr said in a statement. “This is the longest I’ve been off the road in years”

by Jon Blitstein
February 7, 2022

Ringo Starr in September 2021. (Hollywood To You/Star Max/GC Images/Getty)

[www.rollingstone.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-07 19:38 by bye bye johnny.

Date: February 7, 2022 19:07

Taylor1
I think the rooftop concert is mediocre at best. The visual and audio quality of this documentary is incredible, but there is nothing great or terribly revealing about the content. Mostly because John added little to the songs that were created.Idig a Pony and Don't Let Me Down are two of his weaker songs. Across the Universe and One After 909 are songs already recorded before these sessions . Their last album Abbey Road still has the Beatle magic

Don't Let Me Down is absolutely brilliant.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 7, 2022 20:59

I love the energy of the first version of Get Back. Very loud and beautiful.

Date: February 11, 2022 21:53

Heading out shortly to catch the first of the three IMAX screenings here in Ann Arbor this weekend. I'm sure I'll have some thoughts to share later on this evening. Anyone else seen it, or planning to see it?

Date: February 11, 2022 21:53

I wonder what I was doing on Thursday, January 30, 1969. Keeping in mind the 5-hour time differential, I was probably standing outside in the freezing cold, 3500 miles away in New York, waiting for a school bus.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-11 21:59 by tatters.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: February 11, 2022 23:01

tatters
I wonder what I was doing on Thursday, January 30, 1969. Keeping in mind the 5-hour time differential, I was probably standing outside in the freezing cold, 3500 miles away in New York, waiting for a school bus.

I was working in an office in London a couple of miles away from the event at an office just past the eastern edge of The City in Commercial Road.

I knew nothing at all about it until I left work and picked up an evening paper to read on the train home.

At the time I was working out my notice on my then job and 2 weeks later I started a fresh job in a location that would definitely have been within earshot. For those 1960's UK Pirate Radio nerds reading this (RIP Deltics), my new location was the former offices of Radio London in Curzon St (no longer studios, but office spaces).

And you asked for reactions to the IMAX screening. I went to one yesterday and I'll use my partner's description.... she was "overwhelmed" - as was I.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: February 12, 2022 03:49

CaptainCorella

And you asked for reactions to the IMAX screening. I went to one yesterday and I'll use my partner's description.... she was "overwhelmed" - as was I.

I'm saddened to report that I was decidedly underwhelmed. It could have been good. It certainly looked good. That a film shot on 16mm stock in 1969 could be blown up to the size of an IMAX screen more than 50 years later with no apparent loss of resolution, and without having an over-digitized, artificial look, is truly a remarkable technical achievement. It sounded good, too, though I wish it had been a little louder. You shouldn't just be able to hear an IMAX film, you should be able to feel it, too, in a bone jarring, teeth rattling sort of way, like, for example, The Rolling Stones at the Max film from the early 1990s, or even the trailer for the Top Gun sequel that preceded the showing of the Beatles film tonight.

But where they really botched this up was by insisting on a woke theatrical narrative in which we find that this is not really a film of a live Beatles performance; it's actually a film about the police wanting to stop a live Beatles performance, as if the audience is supposed to be sitting there biting their nails in suspense, wondering whether or not The Fabs will be permitted to play "Get Back" for a fourth time before the Blue Meanies put an end to the proceedings and make everyone sad. This could have been handled with a single, brief shot of the cops telling Mal Evans that England's most famous citizens will have to cease this senseless noise at their earliest convenience. Instead, they make the entire film about the cops, and through the incessant use of split screens, we're forced to divide our attention between the them, a group of individuals who couldn't be less interesting to look at and listen to if they tried, and the Beatles, four of the most interesting people to grace this earth in the 20th century. When the camera was on them, and only on them, this film wasn't just good, it was great.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-12 03:58 by tatters.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: February 12, 2022 05:10

tatters
CaptainCorella

I'm saddened to report that I was decidedly underwhelmed. It could have been good. It certainly looked good. That a film shot on 16mm stock in 1969 could be blown up to the size of an IMAX screen more than 50 years later with no apparent loss of resolution, and without having an over-digitized, artificial look, is truly a remarkable technical achievement. It sounded good, too, though I wish it had been a little louder. You shouldn't just be able to hear an IMAX film, you should be able to feel it, too, in a bone jarring, teeth rattling sort of way, like, for example, The Rolling Stones at the Max film from the early 1990s, or even the trailer for the Top Gun sequel that preceded the showing of the Beatles film tonight.

But where they really botched this up was by insisting on a woke theatrical narrative in which we find that this is not really a film of a live Beatles performance; it's actually a film about the police wanting to stop a live Beatles performance, as if the audience is supposed to be sitting there biting their nails in suspense, wondering whether or not The Fabs will be permitted to play "Get Back" for a fourth time before the Blue Meanies put an end to the proceedings and make everyone sad. This could have been handled with a single, brief shot of the cops telling Mal Evans that England's most famous citizens will have to cease this senseless noise at their earliest convenience. Instead, they make the entire film about the cops, and through the incessant use of split screens, we're forced to divide our attention between the them, a group of individuals who couldn't be less interesting to look at and listen to if they tried, and the Beatles, four of the most interesting people to grace this earth in the 20th century. When the camera was on them, and only on them, this film wasn't just good, it was great.

The truth: It's better to call the Beatles four of the most marketed people
of the 20th century. Having traveled the world over, with interests in many cultures and art forms,
the Beatles are rather boring, but the Rolling Stones are definitely on the interesting list.

Date: February 12, 2022 12:33

MKjan
tatters
CaptainCorella

of the 20th century. Having traveled the world over, with interests in many cultures and art forms,
the Beatles are rather boring, but the Rolling Stones are definitely on the interesting list.

Okay, I admit I'm sometimes prone to hyperbole, but I am sure you will agree, however, that Lennon and McCartney, at least, were both highly charismatic individuals.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 12, 2022 15:58

CaptainCorella
tatters

I was working in an office in London a couple of miles away from the event at an office just past the eastern edge of The City in Commercial Road.

I knew nothing at all about it until I left work and picked up an evening paper to read on the train home.

At the time I was working out my notice on my then job and 2 weeks later I started a fresh job in a location that would definitely have been within earshot. For those 1960's UK Pirate Radio nerds reading this (RIP Deltics), my new location was the former offices of Radio London in Curzon St (no longer studios, but office spaces).

Nice and interesting recollections, Captain! I love to read these accounts from people who were there at the time when events like this happened.

I watched the movie last night with a friend. It was fantastic to watch this concert on a huge screen with a great (and loud) sound quality. After the credits ended, a lot of people started applauding, which I think it was very fitting. I'll probably watch this movie again this weekend.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: February 12, 2022 22:47

tatters
MKjan
tatters
CaptainCorella

Okay, I admit I'm sometimes prone to hyperbole, but I am sure you will agree, however, that Lennon and McCartney, at least, were both highly charismatic individuals.

How about mildly charismatic?smiling smiley

Date: February 13, 2022 16:58

Not sure the IMAX experience really bears repeating, but as a lifetime Beatles loyalist, I'll do my due diligence and watch it again this afternoon. Friday night there were maybe 50 people in a theater that seats 500. No one applauded when it was over, although I thought it deserved a polite "tennis clap" at least. But no, the audience departed in silence, many of them looking a little puzzled, tbh.

Date: February 13, 2022 23:42

I liked it better the second time. As Paul is fond of saying, they really were "just a good little band." Their performance on the Rooftop starts out strong and seems to just get stronger as the show progresses. Paul is on fire here. He's at the absolute peak of his creative powers and is the unquestioned group leader, but John, even in his diminished role as a second in command (and a reluctant one at that), still more than holds his own. If nothing else, it proves that the Beatles, if they had chosen to do so, could have competed as a live act alongside the likes of Cream (who had actually played their last concert by this time), the Rolling Stones (who had by now already performed for the final time with their original lineup), and even Led Zeppelin, who had released their first album and were playing the Fillmore East the same week the Beatles were on the roof.

What does it say on the back cover of the Let It Be album? "In comes the freshness and the warmth of a live performance." Something like that, right? All the more reason to become increasingly frustrated with all of the police presence and man-on-the-street interviews interrupting and distracting from the enjoyment of that wonderful performance. It's still great fun, especially in IMAX, but it could have been even greater and funner.

About 100 people in the audience today. A smattering of applause when it ended.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-14 00:27 by tatters.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...183184185186187188189190191192193...LastNext
Current Page: 188 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2197
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home