Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...181182183184185186187188189190191...LastNext
Current Page: 186 of 223
Re: OT : Beatles GET BACK ... February 5th on DVD and BluRay
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 7, 2022 20:48

ProfessorWolf
Big Al
I’ve only viewed the snippets on YouTube: they’re all fantastic, but I do, too, wonder whether eight-hours worth is a little too much. I might sit through an abridged version.

but if it was 18 hours of the stones at olympic studios in 69 and 70 we'd have people complaining it isn't long enoughwinking smiley
That's exactly right !

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: January 7, 2022 21:05

more than 7,5 hours? The chance that this will ever be watched by more than a few die hard fans is nearly zero – at least unless there will be a complete lockdown for a couple of weeks…

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 7, 2022 21:25

slewan

more than 7,5 hours?

From [ScreenRant.com] :

"Peter Jackson has revealed that the first cut of his Beatles documentary Get Back was 18-hours long due to the wealth of information. The Beatles: Get Back was released on Disney+ on November 25, 2021. It is a three-part in-depth exploration of The Beatles' production of their 1970 album, Let It Be, which was originally titled Get Back. The documentary series is directed by Academy Award-winning director, Jackson, who is best known for directing the 'Lord of the Rings' film series.

In order to create Get Back, Jackson compiled a staggering 60-hours of never-before-seen footage and 150 hours of unheard audio. Get Back utilizes Michael Lindsay-Hogg's documentary of the Beatles' album from 1970, which Jackson painstakingly spent four years restoring footage from. He also utilized interviews with McCartney, Ringo Starr, John Lennon’s son Sean Lennon, Dhani, George Harrison’s son, as well as Lindsay-Hogg. Jackson also conducted research of the time period and visited Savile Rooftop, where the album was originally performed. Years of restoring footage and conducting research and interviews led to a plethora of material.

As reported by [www.TheGuardian.com] , Jackson's first cut of Get Back was 18-hours long. Jackson admitted that there was a point during the development where he was content with an 18-hour cut due to the sheer amount of information. The footage he uncovered spanned hours and hadn't been retrievable for 52-years. The documentary retells a story that spanned 22-days in real-time, making it exceedingly difficult to cut down the film's length. Of course, an 18-hour cut wasn't what Disney+ was looking for and Jackson managed to cut it down to a more favorable 6-hour series.

The length of Jackson's first cut simply demonstrates the sheer amount of information and restored footage in Get Back. Those who watch the finished six-hour cut will find that, even though it is a third of the length of the original, it is certainly not lacking in any detail. It is filled with wholly new revelations, that challenge the status quo that Let It Be's production was marred by tension and led to the band's break-up. Get Back creates a new narrative that shows what truly happened behind the scenes and that the time period was filled with many positive points.

Jackson's whittling down Get Back from 18-hours to 6-hours is a simple demonstration that there are limits to filmmakers' freedom. Jackson is a meticulous filmmaker, known for creating very long films with great detail, but some can find such length and detail excessive. Get Back was originally supposed to be a 2.5-hour feature-length film, thus making Jackson quite fortunate he got away with 6-hours. However, this also meant that an 18-hour cut was completely out of the question. Length wasn't the only thing Jackson had to fight for, as he revealed Disney wanted to remove swearing from Get Back until the band members convinced them otherwise. In filmmaking, one must understand that the studio will have the final say on some matters, such as length. However, in projects such as Jackson's where there is literally days worth of footage, such restrictions on length can prove difficult to work with. In the end, however, most won't be able to detect that Get Back was once 18-hours long as its 6-hours still manage to be plump with information, revelations, and emotion."

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 7, 2022 21:35

I have had to take it in small doses. It's enjoyable, but my attention span isn't what it once was for the Beatles. It would be great to have a Stones like film spanning a period like that. Hear them bitch. Maybe reveal their true thoughts on Brian.

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: January 7, 2022 22:46

Those 8 hours are amazing an brilliant. Of course it's kinda boring if you're into Stones only.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: January 7, 2022 22:53

24FPS
I have had to take it in small doses. It's enjoyable, but my attention span isn't what it once was for the Beatles. It would be great to have a Stones like film spanning a period like that. Hear them bitch. Maybe reveal their true thoughts on Brian.

I too had to take it in small doses. I think I finished the first episode in one sitting, but had to break up the other two. I really can't imagine an 18 hour version.

It's great stuff but there were definitely parts that lagged for me, even at 9 hours much less 18. Of course, I too would be quite interested in a long format enterprise such as this that was focused on the Stones though.

Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: angee ()
Date: January 9, 2022 05:53

Saw the whole 8 hrs by subscribing to Disney + for one month.

I wish I could see the rooftop concert part again on the big screen, but it's not playing near me.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 9, 2022 18:16

I binged through the whole thing pretty quick but admittedly a lot of that had to do with the buzz around its release right when it came. The classic "it seems like we're all watching this right now" so you sorta feel like you have to. After that initial burst, I can see it taking some time to work through. Its like when you miss a show everyone is talking about that then it just collects dust for you because you're no longer in that "moment."

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: January 13, 2022 06:20

For Australian residents only...

"Get Back" WILL be shown on the biggest IMAX screen in the world.

THE BEATLES: GET BACK - THE ROOFTOP CONCERT

Opens: Thursday February 10 Tickets on sale: TBC

EXPERIENCE THIS UNFORGETTABLE PERFORMANCE IN A SPECIAL IMAX PRESENTATION!

The Beatles' famous 1969 rooftop concert has been specially formatted and fully remastered in fully immersive IMAX in this special limited release 60-minute presentation. Don't miss it in IMAX!

See [imaxmelbourne.com.au]

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: January 13, 2022 07:05

I just finished watching.

I loved it but agree with 24FPS that it was better to do it in small doses, which surprised me because I was expecting this to be a binge session.
Random thoughts:

Billy Preston was absolutely adorable. Everytime he was on the screen I would just smile. He's so cute, and seems like just a great guy to have around. I definitely felt that I underestimated his contribution to the band during this time period, but once he started playing it was like, "yes, ok this is what is missing".

The talent of John, Paul, and George is unmistakeable and awe-inspriring. I often felt badly for Ringo as he often had a look on his face as if he were in over his head, and was going to be discovered as a fraud at any time.

I'm so happy Glyn Johns is still alive while this is airing. He received quite a bit of air-time which really pleased me. His clothes were amazing and he looked super effing cool.

Paul seemed to feel so trapped by the Beatles and obviously needed some time to make some solo records. George expressed his wish for the same. It's too bad they just couldn't have taken a break.

John seemed to be having a blast. I expected him to be acting the way Paul was, just feeling very confined. He looked as if he would like to continue working with the band for many more years. It made me sad.

I was expecting Yoko to be inserting herself more. The film shows here there physically, but for the most part she is silent (YAY). She is a producer so I wonder if that is an accurate portrayal or if she insisted on the edit showing her as a passive presence.

Anyway, i loved it. Will definitely watch again in awe.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: January 13, 2022 19:48

CindyC
The talent of John, Paul, and George is unmistakeable and awe-inspriring. I often felt badly for Ringo as he often had a look on his face as if he were in over his head, and was going to be discovered as a fraud at any time.
What? A fraud? Are you kidding? Ringo was an awesome drummer in The Beatles and beyond. His playing in the documentary and on Let It Be is fantastic. I think you're confusing the look on his face as boredom. He seemed a little bored, which I think a lot of drummers feel when they're not involved in the creative process as much as other band members. They just basically sit around (no pun intended), especially once their parts are recorded.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: January 13, 2022 21:45

Boognish
CindyC
What? A fraud? Are you kidding? Ringo was an awesome drummer in The Beatles and beyond. His playing in the documentary and on Let It Be is fantastic. I think you're confusing the look on his face as boredom. He seemed a little bored, which I think a lot of drummers feel when they're not involved in the creative process as much as other band members. They just basically sit around (no pun intended), especially once their parts are recorded.

I love Ringo! This has nothing to do with his drumming though and
I'm not saying he is a fraud, he just had that look on his face a few times while the other guys were composing. I can't claim to be super familiar with his solo stuff, but his writing is nowhere near the level of the other three and he is smart enough to know that. Maybe his look is as you say boredom though.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: January 13, 2022 23:29

Good stuff, Cindy C, thanks. I watched it within two days, and found myself most un-engaged, off and on, in Part I. Part II and Part III went faster for me. I found the band members' interactions fascinating.

As noted above, I really, really wish I could see the rooftop concert on the big screen, that it was in wider circulation.

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-13 23:32 by angee.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: January 14, 2022 02:52

CindyC
I just finished watching.

I loved it but agree with 24FPS that it was better to do it in small doses, which surprised me because I was expecting this to be a binge session.
Random thoughts:

Billy Preston was absolutely adorable. Everytime he was on the screen I would just smile. He's so cute, and seems like just a great guy to have around. I definitely felt that I underestimated his contribution to the band during this time period, but once he started playing it was like, "yes, ok this is what is missing".

I'm so happy Glyn Johns is still alive while this is airing. He received quite a bit of air-time which really pleased me. His clothes were amazing and he looked super effing cool.

Paul seemed to feel so trapped by the Beatles and obviously needed some time to make some solo records. George expressed his wish for the same. It's too bad they just couldn't have taken a break.

John seemed to be having a blast. I expected him to be acting the way Paul was, just feeling very confined. He looked as if he would like to continue working with the band for many more years. It made me sad.

I was expecting Yoko to be inserting herself more. The film shows here there physically, but for the most part she is silent (YAY). She is a producer so I wonder if that is an accurate portrayal or if she insisted on the edit showing her as a passive presence.

Anyway, i loved it. Will definitely watch again in awe.

Cindy, nice comments, and I have to agree with you. Episodes 2 and 3 were mesmerizing. Watching their creative process as a group, the interplay between John and Paul, it was all great to watch. For years I had heard that there was so much acrimony and that Yoko was an intrusive, divisive element. I saw none of that in the film.

I swear, as soon as Billy came in, the whole game was taken up a notch. He was the perfect fit for the Beatles at that time. John even commented that he should be a member of the group.

I at first was disappointed that they performed their concert on the rooftop for so few. But, had they performed before a large audience, there would likely have been lots of clamoring for their older hits. They wanted to play their new material and I don’t recall any discussion about including older stuff.

Anyway, it was immensely enjoyable.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: January 14, 2022 03:59

CindyC
Boognish
CindyC

I'm not saying he is a fraud, he just had that look on his face a few times while the other guys were composing. I can't claim to be super familiar with his solo stuff, but his writing is nowhere near the level of theer three and he is smart enough to know that. Maybe his look is as you say boredom though.

Can you tell us why you insinuated that Ringo would think he’s a fraud? Maybe he did think he wasn’t good enough for them. I know I’m good n a minority but I never saw any more than average drumming by him.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 14, 2022 04:13

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 20, 2022 23:11

THE AUSTRALIAN --- 21 January 2022

ROCKMAN

Date: January 24, 2022 00:41

...b...b..baaababy can ya drive me ccccar ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 24, 2022 01:12

Or Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds cool smiley

Date: January 24, 2022 01:22

Jelly Babies ..... sugar hit !!!!!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 24, 2022 17:10

Rockman

...b...b..baaababy can ya drive me ccccar ....

Mean Mr. Mustard Pants.

Date: January 26, 2022 06:36

ROCKMAN

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 26, 2022 06:52

Cooltoplady
CindyC
Boognish
CindyC

I'm not saying he is a fraud, he just had that look on his face a few times while the other guys were composing. I can't claim to be super familiar with his solo stuff, but his writing is nowhere near the level of theer three and he is smart enough to know that. Maybe his look is as you say boredom though.

Can you tell us why you insinuated that Ringo would think he’s a fraud? Maybe he did think he wasn’t good enough for them. I know I’m good n a minority but I never saw any more than average drumming by him.

Where did you see average drumming by Ringo? Listen to a few songs maybe...

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: January 26, 2022 07:00

Ringo is one of the greatest drummers ever. A fully formed musician. Compositional in his approach to drumming. He was the perfect drummer for the Beatles.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 26, 2022 07:00

LeonidP
Cooltoplady
CindyC
Boognish
CindyC

Where did you see average drumming by Ringo? Listen to a few songs maybe...

He was an average drummer, the way George was an average lead player, John a rhythm player, or Paul a bassist,(actually Paul was a great bassist).

It's the sum of the parts...like the Stones.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: January 26, 2022 07:25

Just another average bandwinking smiley

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: January 26, 2022 11:49

frankotero

Yup! Responsible for acres of print and bazillions of electrons being used on The Internet daily despite having broken up about 50 years ago!

That's the true hallmark of an average band.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 26, 2022 17:27

CaptainCorella
frankotero

Yup! Responsible for acres of print and bazillions of electrons being used on The Internet daily despite having broken up about 50 years ago!

That's the true hallmark of an average band.

Not much they could do about it w/ just an average drummer:

Ringo live drumming

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: January 26, 2022 17:56

Our Music teacher at school told us that Ringo was the first to put a blanket in his bass drum. By that he created a sound nobody else had.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 27, 2022 16:15

From [TheBeatles.com] :

‘THE BEATLES: GET BACK-THE ROOFTOP PERFORMANCE’ - COMPLETE, NEWLY MIXED AUDIO TO DEBUT FOR GLOBAL STREAMING

The Beatles’ Legendary 1969 Rooftop Concert Audio is Newly Mixed by Giles Martin and Sam Okell in Stereo and Dolby Atmos

New Streaming Release Leads the Celebration for This Sunday’s 53rd Anniversary of The Beatles’ Final Live Performance Atop Their Apple Corps Headquarters in London

Los Angeles | London – January 27, 2022 – On January 30, 1969, The Beatles famously staged their final live performance on the rooftop of their Apple Corps headquarters in London’s Savile Row. This Sunday’s 53rd anniversary will be celebrated with an exciting slate of special releases, events and announcements, with The Beatles leading the charge. For the first time, the complete audio for the band’s legendary rooftop performance has been mixed in stereo and Dolby Atmos by Giles Martin and Sam Okell. Apple Corps Ltd./Capitol/UMe will debut The Beatles: Get Back-The Rooftop Performance for global streaming tonight at 9pm PST / 12am EST (tomorrow at 5am GMT).

Fans around the world have been exploring The Beatles’ January 1969 sessions and rooftop performance with last fall’s celebrated release of the band’s remixed, expanded Let It Be Special Edition (Apple Corps Ltd./Capitol/UMe), Peter Jackson’s “The Beatles: Get Back” docuseries (Disney/Apple Corps Ltd./WingNut), and the collectible hardcover book also titled The Beatles: Get Back (Apple Corps Ltd./Callaway). The raw sources explored for the new projects have revealed that a more joyous, benevolent spirit imbued the sessions than was conveyed in the 1970 Let It Be film’s 80 minutes, while also shining a new, warmer light on the Let It Be album.

In addition to the streaming release for The Beatles: Get Back-The Rooftop Performance, the anniversary celebration for The Beatles’ electrifying rooftop performance will continue with several more exciting announcements, tributes, and events:

Today, the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame announces a groundbreaking featured exhibit, titled The Beatles: Get Back to Let It Be, set to open on March 18, 2022 and run through March 2023. An immersive complement to Peter Jackson’s “Get Back” docuseries, the multimedia exhibit will welcome fans to step into The Beatles’ January 1969 rehearsals, sessions, and witness the band’s final rooftop performance, surrounded by large-scale projections and superior sound. The scene is thrillingly set with original instruments, clothing, handwritten lyrics, and other unique items, including several on loan directly from Beatles principals. Special events to be hosted by the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame during the exhibit’s run, including interviews, film screenings, panels, and more will be announced throughout the year.

Tomorrow (Friday, January 28), Norah Jones will release two rooftop tribute performance videos of Beatles songs from the Let It Be album, recently filmed with her band on the rooftop of New York’s Empire State Building. The two performances, “I’ve Got A Feeling” and “Let It Be,” will debut on Norah Jones’ YouTube Channel tomorrow at 9am PST / 12pm EST / 5pm GMT.

On SiriusXM, The Beatles Channel will debut “The Rooftop Concert Special” tomorrow at 11am EST, presenting The Beatles’ entire rooftop performance with commentary by Beatles historian, author, and radio producer Kevin Howlett. The special will re-air throughout the weekend on The Beatles Channel and will also be available to stream on the SXM App.

This Saturday, January 29, The Beatles LOVE by Cirque du Soleil will debut a rooftop performance tribute video for “Get Back” (LOVE Version), featuring cast members from the acclaimed stage production, now in its 15th year of wowing audiences at The Mirage Las Vegas. The performance video will debut on Cirque du Soleil’s YouTube Channel at 6am PST / 9am EST / 2pm GMT. A behind-the-scenes/making-of video for the cast’s rooftop tribute performance will debut an hour later on the channel at 7am PST / 10am EST / 3pm GMT.

This Sunday, January 30, the 53rd anniversary of The Beatles’ rooftop performance, Disney/Apple Corps Ltd./WingNut will present a special screening event exclusively at IMAX theaters in the US and UK of “The Beatles: Get Back-The Rooftop Concert.” The 60-minute feature presents The Beatles’ complete rooftop performance following a brief introduction. The special event screenings will begin with an exclusive filmmaker Q&A at 12pm PST / 3pm EST / 8pm GMT. The concert, which features in its entirety in the Disney+ original docuseries “The Beatles: Get Back,” is optimized for IMAX screens, digitally remastered into the image and sound quality of The IMAX Experience® with proprietary IMAX DMR® (Digital Remastering) technology. Tickets for the Exclusive IMAX Event Screening and Filmmaker Q&A are on sale at: tickets.imax.com.

It’s a wonderful time to be a Beatles fan, as the world shares in the celebration of the band’s innovative and inspiring creativity captured so vividly in January 1969.

THE BEATLES: GET BACK-THE ROOFTOP PERFORMANCE

Audio: Stereo / Dolby Atmos [TRT: 40:00]

“Get Back” (Take 1)
“Get Back” (Take 2)
“Don’t Let Me Down” (Take 1)
“I’ve Got A Feeling” (Take 1)
“One After 909”
“Dig A Pony”
Jam/excerpt of “God Save The Queen” (tape change interlude)
“I’ve Got A Feeling” (Take 2)
“Don’t Let Me Down” (Take 2)
“Get Back” (Take 3)

[TheBeatles.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-27 16:45 by Irix.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...181182183184185186187188189190191...LastNext
Current Page: 186 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1890
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home