Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...166167168169170171172173174175176...LastNext
Current Page: 171 of 223
Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 14, 2021 09:02

bleedingman
Hairball
I say the more the merrier, though it would have been nice to see a feature length movie in a theater as was originally planned.

Agreed. The author says "I’m not prejudging “The Beatles: Get Back.” I, of course, hope that it presents a revelatory vision of the Beatles." Totally belies the title of his article. I'm optimistic and look forward to seeing this eventually.

Hopefully he'll let whoever know when he is judging. Because he stated that he isn't judging it at all.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 14, 2021 09:07

Big Al
As big a Beatles fan as I am, I’m one of millions, I am sure, whose too young to have seen the original Let it Be film. I, for one, would enjoy viewing the original film. Why can’t they remaster and spruce-up the original? Yes, I’m sure it’s ugly in places, yet it’s their history and is an important part of it. I keep reading how McCartney thinks it portrays them in a poor and a not-very-positive light. Whilst this may be the case, he must surely know those wanting to view the film are already ‘dyed in the wool’ fans. I can take the unpleasantness, myself. In fact, it’s fascinating: their breakup is very interesting. Plus, let’s not forget they did then go in to record Abbey Road.

Wrong.

ABBEY ROAD was recorded before LET IT BE.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 14, 2021 09:13

GasLightStreet
Big Al
As big a Beatles fan as I am, I’m one of millions, I am sure, whose too young to have seen the original Let it Be film. I, for one, would enjoy viewing the original film. Why can’t they remaster and spruce-up the original? Yes, I’m sure it’s ugly in places, yet it’s their history and is an important part of it. I keep reading how McCartney thinks it portrays them in a poor and a not-very-positive light. Whilst this may be the case, he must surely know those wanting to view the film are already ‘dyed in the wool’ fans. I can take the unpleasantness, myself. In fact, it’s fascinating: their breakup is very interesting. Plus, let’s not forget they did then go in to record Abbey Road.

Wrong.

ABBEY ROAD was recorded before LET IT BE.

I suppose so, I’d you’re considering Phil Spector’s added orchestration and their last session to record I Me Mine. The bulk of Let it Be dates from early 1969. Abbey Road was the last time they were all together in the studio.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: July 14, 2021 10:14

Thats what I thought too: that they recorded Get Back or whatever the original title was going to be, shelved it, recorded and released Abbey Road, and then went back and Spectorized Get Back into Let It Be and then released that mess.

jb

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: July 14, 2021 11:20

Yes, as George Harrison sated after they recorded Let It Be they said "we should get back together and do one better"

Date: July 14, 2021 13:25

The absolute bulk of, what became, the Let it Be album, was recoded during the February 1969. I'm not sure Spector's added bits-and-pieces is enough to state it was recorded after Abbey Road.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: July 14, 2021 13:34

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-14 13:35 by CaptainCorella.

Date: July 14, 2021 13:39

Let it Be was recorded before Abbey Road.

The Rooftop Concert was on Jan 30th 1969.

Abbey Road was released in September 1969

Let it Be was released in May 1970.

'nuff said.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: July 14, 2021 14:04

Big AL

good news for you is they did a cd called Let it be - Naked in 2003, took off all Phil Spectors crap, re-arranged the runnng order, used a couple of different takes, deleted the talking and dropped songs Dig it and maggie mae

As John lennon called in Phil Spector to tidy it up, this Naked version was nicknamed 'Paul Mccartney's Let it be'

two 60's mega stars having different versions of songs...never happen to the stones!!!

[www.beatlesbible.com]

Date: July 14, 2021 14:20

Was GasLightStreet just teasing me, then? Surely, every serious Beatles fan knows their recording dates; at least roughly!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 16, 2021 17:00

This looks great, going to start watching over the weekend.

McCartney 3, 2, 1’: The Beatle, the Producer and Oh, That Magic Feeling
Rick Rubin and Paul McCartney go deep — and prove to be the ultimate Beatles geeks — in fascinating new Hulu documentary

The Rick Rubin doc with Paul McCartney, 3,2,1, starts streaming today via Hulu. Here is Rolling Stone’s review and excerpt from it:

Rubin, in his barefoot-Yoda mode, totally understands that his job here is to just listen and say “Wow.” It’s just three hours of conversation, stretched out over six episodes, but it flies by. This is Paul at his most charming — he’s like the barber in “Penny Lane,” giving us a tour of every mind he’s had the pleasure to blow….

3,2,1 jumps right in with Paul telling Rubin about writing “All My Loving” with John on a tour bus. Since they had no recording devices, and couldn’t read music, their first priority was writing a tune they could remember the next day. “Coming from Liverpool, there’s a lot of sort of Irish Celtic influence, and the Celts never wrote anything down. It’s the bardic tradition. So that’s our excuse. Me and John used to say, ’It was the bardic tradition!’ ”

But the weird highlight of McCartney 3,2,1: Paul discusses the 1964 deep cut “Baby’s In Black,” one of the Beatles’ favorite Beatles songs. John and Paul loved to sing this gloomy freak-folk ballad together, invariably sharing the same microphone, harmonizing eyeball to eyeball. They kept it in their live set to the end, right down to their final shows, even though they knew nobody liked it as much as they did. “We used to want to do this onstage, but it wasn’t a big fan favorite,” Paul says. “We were kind of proud of this one. We thought we were getting kind of, you know, getting into funky folk.”
[www.rollingstone.com]

Date: July 16, 2021 17:08

This is fantastic footage.. title is correct- best performance ever.
Fan rushing the stage at 12:50 mark was a bit of a surprise, especially to Lennon winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-16 17:20 by MisterDDDD.

Date: July 17, 2021 01:28

MisterDDDD
This is fantastic footage.. title is correct- best performance ever.
Fan rushing the stage at 12:50 mark was a bit of a surprise, especially to Lennon winking smiley

Melbourne. 17th June 1964 second show. On Australian TV in a show strangely sponsored by Shell.

It's really worth digging out the HD version with good sound from YouTube.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Ringo had only rejoined the lads a few days prior on his return from his Tonsils escapade.

There's a recording arts museum in the Arts Centre in Melbourne (things like Kylie's stage stuff etc) and a few years back they had a Beatles display. This film was on repeat 100% of the time on a HUGE screen in the middle of the room and it was hypnotic. You'd see people wander in... notice it... stop... look around for somewhere to sit and watch... sit down.... and an hour later they were still there. (Yes, watching it through again).

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: July 17, 2021 02:23

thumbs up smileys with beer

Date: July 18, 2021 03:26

Some further thoughts about that Melbourne show.

Most released Beatles "live" shows were hugely overdubbed/redone after the event. Hollywood Bowl, Shea Stadium etc. I've seen Lennon's almost abusive annotations on some publicity stuff about this.

The Melbourne show was recorded by Channel 9 and shown a few days later, and because The Beatles had left the country there seems to have been no chance to do any overdubs etc.

So what we're seeing and hearing is an actual performance by the four blokes on stage. What you see is what you get.

The only other shows that may have evaded overdubs that I can think of so far were the Fan Club Show which was after the Juke Box Jury on the BBC and was broadcast live. Plus that Swedish TV show late in 1963.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: July 18, 2021 19:02

Thanks for the info Captain.. much appreciated.
Watched HD version with my teen last night..fantastic historical footage.

Date: July 19, 2021 01:23

MisterDDDD
Thanks for the info Captain.. much appreciated.
Watched HD version with my teen last night..fantastic historical footage.

Happy to help. Imagine what it's like to watch on a HUGE screen with almost cinema quality sound (as per the Melbourne Arts Centre).

A further factoid I have recalled is that at the aforementioned Fan Club Show the sound balance (etc) was so bad that Ringo was inaudible, totally, during his song.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

OT- McCartney 321 with Rick Rubin
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 19, 2021 05:18

just started watching this. It’s cool.. listening to McCartney go back and reminisce on these songs .. good music history, great for fans. I listened to the Beatles intermittently while becoming a serious Stones fan. You gotta hand it to Paul though. What a great songwriter and bassist. Not a bad singer either.

Re: OT- McCartney 321 with Rick Rubin
Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: July 19, 2021 07:45

I am also enjoying this. I’ve watched 3 episodes. I like hearing the backstory of some of the songs.

Posted by: quietbeatle ()
Date: July 19, 2021 15:31

I don't know. His ego is so huge it grates on me. Glad he almost admits that without George Martin those records would not have been what they were. He sure is a great bass player though. I turned it off after two eps though as I think he rewrites history too much and gives himself way too much credit. And man is his voice shot.

Date: July 19, 2021 17:11

on the ‘voice shot’ .. willing to give the guy a break on that, it’s understandable..
I guess he’s entitled (or titled) to a shot voice
but your other points, yeah probably that is who he is.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: July 20, 2021 20:45

Really enjoyed the Best Performance Ever, particularly tunes I haven't heard so much, e.g. first one,"You Can't Do That."
Great harmonies. Thanks MisterDDDD.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 20, 2021 21:17

Really enjoyed the show with Rick Ruben. Learned a few new things. I can see Paul really loves what he's doing and the history he's made. From my point of view I think he's allowed to be a little egotistical. After all how many people can say they accomplished anything near what he has. I would call this a greatest exercise of humility ever known. My two cents.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: July 20, 2021 21:24

I took time to listen/watch those 27 minutes. They were such cute, sweet boys then. No wonder I became a Rolling Stones fan ...
(Just teasing you cool smiley)
smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Date: July 21, 2021 04:27

How interesting on several levels it would be to see McCartney come out and play a few tunes with The Rolling Stones. It’s clear he’s happy and still loves to play, watching this 321 with Rick Rubin.
He could fit in on Ruby Tuesday.. or maybe It’s Only Rock and Roll.. smileys with beer
lots of possibilities ..

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 21, 2021 06:11

duke richardson
How interesting on several levels it would be to see McCartney come out and play a few tunes with The Rolling Stones. It’s clear he’s happy and still loves to play, watching this 321 with Rick Rubin.
He could fit in on Ruby Tuesday.. or maybe It’s Only Rock and Roll.. smileys with beer
lots of possibilities ..

Maybe a Satisfaction/Day Tripper montage.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: July 21, 2021 06:17

they could use a bass player.

jb

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 21, 2021 16:11

Paul was always my favorite Beatle.....yet my 3 favorite Beatles songs are all John songs....

Date: July 21, 2021 16:27

duke richardson
lots of possibilities ..

Mick and Macca sharing vocals on "I Wanna Be Your Man" would be epic cool smiley

Side note: In 2016 as we all know they gave each other a tip of the hat at Desert Trip.
Who could have possibly imagined back in the sixties, that then or in 2021 we would still be in a position to hope they take the stage together for a couple songs?

No one. Absolutely no one winking smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 21, 2021 17:14

MisterDDDD
duke richardson
lots of possibilities ..

Mick and Macca sharing vocals on "I Wanna Be Your Man" would be epic cool smiley

Side note: In 2016 as we all know they gave each other a tip of the hat at Desert Trip.
Who could have possibly imagined back in the sixties, that then or in 2021 we would still be in a position to hope they take the stage together for a couple songs?

No one. Absolutely no one winking smiley

Not true. In the 60s, true futurist visionaries would have imagined that in 2020 the cryogenically frozen bodies of the members of both bands would have been thawed in time for a joint - Diamond Anniversary tour.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...166167168169170171172173174175176...LastNext
Current Page: 171 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1920
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home