Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...165166167168169170171172173174175...LastNext
Current Page: 170 of 223
Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 28, 2021 19:58

Hairball
It's been years since I've watched it, but I don't remember it being quite as negative as it's now portrayed to be.
All I can recall is a squabble between George and Paul over a guitar solo or something, and George comes off as a bit whiny about it all saying something like "then play it yourself"
Again, been years since I've watched it, so there might be more negativity than I can fully remember....maybe there's the weird Yoko vibe going on also...?
I have the vhs and a dvd boot copy in storage somewhere, so might have to start rummaging for it.
Nope, you're right. The negative aspect of it has frankly been overblown. There's that one argument in it like you say, but other than that its relatively calm and, frankly, a little boring if I remember correctly. The best part is the concert at the end. I don't remember Paul coming off any particularly worse than the rest of them. If anything, I remember the movie does a good job just portraying how much they were all over it. It was so forced and it just didn't work. Granted, I hope and it seems the Peter Jackson film will tell a different story, which I hope because I love the Let It Be album, but I'd argue with Paul that anything you can read online about that time paints a far worse picture of him than what's in the film. In the film its kinda just "we wanted to do an album this way, that didn't work. We moved to a new studio, that was better. Then we played this cool concert on the roof." Reading material which the Beatles themselves have widely related and made available to the public, provides a more accurate and interesting angle than the Let It Be film.

So while I think the Peter Jackson extravaganza is gonna render the original Let It Be film kinda meaningless, for historical purposes I absolutely think the original should be remastered and available for posterity. There's nothing in it that makes Paul look any worse than other things out there, and it'll always be something only die hards look for anyway, and its readily available for them now if they want it.

Agreed too that Paul doesn't quite get enough credit, or maybe the accurate credit, for the late era Beatles. It was never one man band, but they needed to lead at a certain point and Paul took up that mantle when no one else really wanted to. He tried to keep that thing going, I don't think for money, for sheer enjoyment of what it once was. For all the crap of Paul stepping on Let It Be with his first solo album, he was the last one that really wanted to step away from the group and do his own thing. He wanted the Beatles to keep working, and while there are times I think its right to criticize him for his overblowing of the Beatles legacy and maybe stuff to do with Sgt Peppers, in general it was a thankless job he did towards the end trying to keep them together. It was maybe all for naught, but I get his logic and I don't think he was trying to be the egomaniac he's portrayed as a lot (even though we all know he CAN be that way, and hey, arguably should be with all his genius).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-28 20:02 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: June 29, 2021 07:50

Irix

"A fully restored version of the original Let It Be film will be made available at a later date" -- [SuperDeluxeEdition.com] .

I worry that you're depending a lot on that SuperDeLux article.

It's from MARCH 2020 which is a long time ago in terms of the development of home streaming and cinema release changes (Covid of course).

Yes, I agree it describes well what we'd all thought was going to happen. But I fear that the recent Disney+ announcements may replace the cinema plans and not simply adjust them.

Very much hope I'm wrong.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 29, 2021 08:29

Nomatter what the forthcoming DVD will look like, I look forward to it, especially because of the rooftop concert. Best release in the last 10 years, for me.....allthough Scarlet and Live In Berlin 1978 comes close

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: June 29, 2021 08:46

At a store opened to commemorate the 55th anniversary of the Beatles' arrival in Japan.
John was mimicking a popular cartoon character at the time.

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: June 29, 2021 09:40

Over on Expectingrain.com..There is a link to Newsweek which is reporting they may know where 50,000 copies of the infamous "Butcher Babies "Album Cover might be Buried in a landfill in Massachusetts...Well if any are found whoever finds them is going to have a lot of Coin in their Pocket!

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: June 29, 2021 11:08

Not really how rare stuff works: throw 50,000 copies of a "rare" item onto the market and the value of the item begins to approach zero.

Not to mention the state of anything paper buried in a "landfill" for sixty years.

jb

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: June 30, 2021 06:25

I'm not old enough to have been there but looking back you had John and Yoko, heroin addicts, Ringo an alcoholic, George a religious fanatic and the Paul, the guy who wanted to keep the "lads" together.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 30, 2021 23:07

Yeah but Paul's hooked on Jelly Babies ...

He's still got boxes and boxes of em
from the Fab Four days ... thats why he's always so Hypo ...

ROCKMAN

Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 30, 2021 23:33

50,000 Rare 'Butcher' Beatles Record Covers May Be Buried in MA Landfill

By Seren Morris
6/28/21

[www.newsweek.com]

Date: July 1, 2021 00:34

Shit Wow!! ... wonder if there's
any boxes of Jelly Babies buried with them .....

ROCKMAN

Date: July 1, 2021 00:39

bye bye johnny
50,000 Rare 'Butcher' Beatles Record Covers May Be Buried in MA Landfill

By Seren Morris
6/28/21

[www.newsweek.com]

That is an amazingly annoying website, but the story is interesting. I wouldn't be selling my first state cover for peanuts quite yet, sounds like those covers are beyond recovery being as how they were dumped into a waterfilled hole in the swampy reaches of the dump and then covered by bulldozer with tons of muddy dirt and debris. I am thinking even my beat third state cover is gonna look better than the best of that lot.

jb

Date: July 1, 2021 00:41

I'm vegetarian so I cant
have that cover anywhere in The Bunker .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 1, 2021 01:26

Rockman
I'm vegetarian so I cant
have that cover anywhere in The Bunker .....

Just pretend they're cut up beets.

Date: July 1, 2021 03:37

.... Well as they say ... Ya cant beat a good root ..... Haaaaaaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 8, 2021 14:29

Interesting video, mostly known info around here, but a couple surprises for me.

Top 10 Musicians Who Recorded With The Beatles & The Rolling Stones

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 12, 2021 15:41

Irix
bye bye johnny

Massive George Harrison ‘All Things Must Pass’ Box Due in August

Available in 7 different physical editions:

1. Uber Deluxe Edition: 8LP+5CD+BluRay. Comes in a wooden crate with books, figurines, Klaus Voorman illustration and more.

2. Super Deluxe Edition (CD): 5CD+BluRay. Original album, plus 3CDs of Demos & Outtakes, plus a BluRay with Surround-Mixes.

3. Super Deluxe Edition (Vinyl): 8LP. Original album plus 5LPs of Outtakes/Demos.

4. Deluxe Edition (Vinyl): 5LP. Original album plus 2LPs of Outtakes (no Demos).

5. Deluxe Edition (CD): 3CDs. Original album plus an extra disc of Outtakes/Jams. Comes in a little box.

6. Standard Edition (Vinyl): 3LP-set featuring the new mix of the album, available on black Vinyl and green splatter-coloured Vinyl.

7. Standard Edition (CD): 2CD-set featuring new mix of the album. Gatefold card sleeve presentation.

6-Aug-2021 - [SuperDeluxeEdition.com]

I’m sorry. It’s got SOME nice tracks, but it doesn’t warrant this type of obvious money grab

Rod

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: July 12, 2021 16:49

bitusa2012
Irix
bye bye johnny

Massive George Harrison ‘All Things Must Pass’ Box Due in August

Available in 7 different physical editions:

1. Uber Deluxe Edition: 8LP+5CD+BluRay. Comes in a wooden crate with books, figurines, Klaus Voorman illustration and more.

2. Super Deluxe Edition (CD): 5CD+BluRay. Original album, plus 3CDs of Demos & Outtakes, plus a BluRay with Surround-Mixes.

3. Super Deluxe Edition (Vinyl): 8LP. Original album plus 5LPs of Outtakes/Demos.

4. Deluxe Edition (Vinyl): 5LP. Original album plus 2LPs of Outtakes (no Demos).

5. Deluxe Edition (CD): 3CDs. Original album plus an extra disc of Outtakes/Jams. Comes in a little box.

6. Standard Edition (Vinyl): 3LP-set featuring the new mix of the album, available on black Vinyl and green splatter-coloured Vinyl.

7. Standard Edition (CD): 2CD-set featuring new mix of the album. Gatefold card sleeve presentation.

6-Aug-2021 - [SuperDeluxeEdition.com]

I’m sorry. It’s got SOME nice tracks, but it doesn’t warrant this type of obvious money grab

I loved this album when it came out and wore out the vinyl playing it so much on my turntable. I know there are rabid Beatle fans (with deeper pockets than me!) who will not hesitate to pluck down the cash in order to acquire these super deluxe editions, but I think this offering is a little excessive even for my tastes. To each his own I guess.

OT: All Things Must Pass 50th Anniversary
Posted by: kovach ()
Date: July 12, 2021 06:01

Looks interesting, especially the "super deluxe" version:

All Things Must Pass 50th Anniversary Edition

Re: OT: All Things Must Pass 50th Anniversary
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 12, 2021 09:57

Can't wait to hear the new mix. Quite possibly my favorite Beatles associated project. I would love to have the blu-ray atmos mix but alas, budgetary limitations. I don't do vinyl as its a habit I can't afford anymore. Most likely I'll either get the 2 or 3 cd version. I remember as a young kid wanting the original but my dad took one look at the cover & was like "no f'n way". He definitely had redneck inclinations during that time. Later in his life his musical outlook got better & actually enjoyed some of the Beatles stuff. I was working virtually from his hospice room toward the end & would play him music all day. Some stuff I knew he liked, some he had no idea (he had dementia toward the end. It was rugged.). Strangely, he liked some of the mellower Flaming Lips material. Much to the consternation of his second wife & my sister (neither of whom do I speak to anymore), I manage to sneak "Do You Realize" into his funeral service as he liked that one. There were definitely some confused elderly people at the service! smoking smiley

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: July 12, 2021 10:27

Looks awesome. Beatles fans have sure gotten some great releases in the past few years. Next up will be the "Get Back" movie directed by Peter Jackson and the accompanying soundtrack album. I guess there will also be a special 50th anniversary release of John Lennon's "Imagine" coming out soon too.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 12, 2021 12:45

See also here: [iorr.org] .

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: July 12, 2021 15:09

Irix
See also here: [iorr.org] .

Oops, sorry, missed that!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 12, 2021 17:33

I'll have to wait for the Blu Ray Atmos Mix. My local library will have it but it might take a while. I just listened to Sgt. Pepper on Blu Ray from there. Strange how a new mix creates a whole different animal. The Blu Ray version puts everything right in your face. I always remembered Sgt. Pepper as being a bit removed.

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: July 13, 2021 06:11

Looks very well done but it’s got to be very expensive. Anyone have a price list for the US. Thanks

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 13, 2021 07:45

Donnebr
Looks very well done but it’s got to be very expensive. Anyone have a price list for the US. Thanks

$133 for the 5 CD/1 Blu Ray on amazon
$171 for the 8 Vinyl set
$26 for the 3 CD set

Date: July 13, 2021 07:57

about a grand for that super uber deluxe interior one with the kool miniature statues.

jb

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 13, 2021 08:39

The little figurines are babyish. Toys for man-boys, I’m afraid. Didn’t the super-deluxe Pink Floyd box-sets come with marbles? Expensive tat for ‘grown-ups’ who can’t think of anything worthwhile to invest in.

The music? Sure; that’s great! thumbs up

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 13, 2021 10:59

24FPS
I'll have to wait for the Blu Ray Atmos Mix. My local library will have it but it might take a while. I just listened to Sgt. Pepper on Blu Ray from there. Strange how a new mix creates a whole different animal. The Blu Ray version puts everything right in your face. I always remembered Sgt. Pepper as being a bit removed.

I haven't heard the Sgt Pepper Atmos mix but have listened to the Abbey Road one. It's stunning!

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: July 13, 2021 12:13

jbwelda
about a grand for that super uber deluxe interior one with the kool miniature statues.

jb
Super über Deluxe: first time I see that. We could also say it's the billionaire edition.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 13, 2021 13:25

Delaney and Bonnie without Delaney and Bonnie kinda. in a good way.
wah wah tears my head open. great great stuff i love. george is cool

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...165166167168169170171172173174175...LastNext
Current Page: 170 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1903
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home