Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...161162163164165166167168169170171...LastNext
Current Page: 166 of 223
Re: OT: John Lennon - Plastic Ono Band Super Deluxe up for pre-order
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 5, 2021 10:46

John at his solo best in my opinion. It does seem like overkill but I’ll wait to hear what the extra versions sound like. I’m also underwhelmed Yoko is on there but it’s on a Blu-ray so it’s easy to navigate around it. Personally I believe this warrants a special edition release. Looking forward to having it.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: March 5, 2021 10:54

>And it's probably the most important album of the 70s.

Probably not in my book. Probably far from it. Guess it depends on how you define "important", or "probably".

jb

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 5, 2021 10:59

I’m not sure how it’s important, either. 70’s albums that are of seminal importance include: Exile on Main Street, Led Zeppelin IV, Dark Side of the Moon, Low and Never Mind The Bollocks. These are records that have proven to be hugely influential and are still talked about and revered to this day. Nothing by Lennon, other than, say, Imagine and Jealous Guy, get much more than a passing mention.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: March 5, 2021 12:31

24FPS
jbwelda
I thought it was basically spectorized emotional bullshit that would have been better to have been kept in the psychoanalyst's office instead of sullying the Beatles name with it and its many nasty implications. Hopefully the new version strips away some of the tedious wall of sound nonsense that muddied up the acoustics so on this release.

jb

It's not a Beatles record. He's not sullying anything. It's a John Lennon record.A And it's probably the most important album of the 70s.

huh, compared to what?
Exile on Main Street, Sticky Fingers, Bob Dylan's Blood on The Tracks, London Calling by The Clash, Layla and other assorted Love Songs by Clapton/Derek&The Dominoes (just to name a few…)

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 5, 2021 13:54

RollingFreak
loog droog
jbwelda
I thought it was basically spectorized emotional bullshit that would have been better to have been kept in the psychoanalyst's office instead of sullying the Beatles name with it and its many nasty implications. Hopefully the new version strips away some of the tedious wall of sound nonsense that muddied up the acoustics so on this release.

jb

There wasn't much of a Phil Spector "Wall of Sound" on this record. I think he really only added a few bricks (if any) this time, and those little touches deftly enhanced the work and for once didn't scream PHIL SPECTOR PRODUCTION!

I heard a few cuts of what sounded like early takes on Chris Carter's Breakfast With The Beatles radio show last Sunday, and they underscored what a great contribution Phil made to the final product.

Per wikipedia: Spector played piano on "Love", but Lennon and Ono produced the album largely on their own, as Spector was unavailable during most of the recording sessions. Spector mixed the album for three days towards the end of October.

Yeah, there's some documentary where Ringo says he doesn't remember Spector actually "producing" much of anything on this album. Btw, as Ringo is the only drummer playing on this album, it's also the only Beatle solo album that features two Beatles playing together throughout the entire album (except on the tracks that don't have any drums at all, of course).

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: March 5, 2021 15:19

This looks tasty!!!!smileys with beer

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 5, 2021 16:30

Big Al
I’m not sure how it’s important, either. 70’s albums that are of seminal importance include: Exile on Main Street, Led Zeppelin IV, Dark Side of the Moon, Low and Never Mind The Bollocks. These are records that have proven to be hugely influential and are still talked about and revered to this day. Nothing by Lennon, other than, say, Imagine and Jealous Guy, get much more than a passing mention.

For one thing, it's unique. It's more than a bunch of guys with cucumbers in their jeans boasting they're going to give you every inch of their love. It's real. The emotions and scenarios depicted deeply touched a lot of us as more than entertainment. It's spare. Gone is the artifice. It's very punk and alternative long before that was popular. It's quite brave for one of the most famous persons on earth to release. No hits for the charts. It's not about stinging guitar leads, or drum solos. It's as real as it ever got.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 5, 2021 20:20

24FPS -Very well put. This album is in a class of it's own. It's hard for me to describe just how it important it was to me as a teenager. I still find inspiration in it all these years later. That's staying power.

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: March 5, 2021 22:01

jbwelda

jb
Sounds like maybe you're thinking of the album Imagine?

Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Date: March 6, 2021 00:32

Perhaps but my memory of this album seems to be slipping over the years. Just unimpressed when it came out and I expected much much more from a former leader of the Beatles. Dont really know why I held that expectation, he had been slipping for a number of years by then. I am Jesus Christ, anyone?

jb

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 6, 2021 03:46

frankotero
24FPS -Very well put. This album is in a class of it's own. It's hard for me to describe just how it important it was to me as a teenager. I still find inspiration in it all these years later. That's staying power.

thumbs up

Yep, so much great material.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: March 7, 2021 05:12

How did Emi Sugiyama san, chef and lifestyle navigator, first become interested in vegan cuisine?
"Actually, I first became aware of veganism when I was very young.
By chance, I had the opportunity to have dinner with John Lennon's family in Karuizawa, Nagano.
When I asked my mother about it later, she told me that they are only eating vegetable dishes.
I was surprised to learn that there was such a way of eating, and it would remain in my memory for a long time.
When I think about it now, they were eating ice cream, so they were not vegans literally, but vegetarians at that time.
I found out that Yoko Ono and Paul McCartney were involved in the "Meat Free Monday" movement.
Their argument was that eating less meat would help reduce Co2 gas emitted from the livestock industry, as well as improve human health and protect animals.
It was then that I connected the dots with my childhood memories and realized that this was what they were talking about! It made sense to me.
I was so moved by their message that I became more aware of veganism."

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 8, 2021 02:48

The Beatles are still winning - although UMG hasn't reissued the anthologies they are on Spotify etc the unfinished songs are still on YouTube (and the deluxe reissues of SPLHCB, TB and AR with the excellent amount of bonus material blows anything the Stones have ever done).

I find it interesting that the very thing I've been wishing for regarding their leftovers, on a much smaller scale, created interest and excitement... yet they (Mick) can't be bothered unless UMe prods him to finish whatever - and even then he doesn't bother with the really good stuff.

The pulling of everything off YouTube shows that there's no need to prod Mick, just release the damn stuff. If they're worried about not making money from sales, which they don't need to worry about because there would hardly be any, they can make up for with ridiculously priced horrible t-shirts.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 8, 2021 03:47

GasLightStreet
The Beatles are still winning - although UMG hasn't reissued the anthologies they are on Spotify etc the unfinished songs are still on YouTube (and the deluxe reissues of SPLHCB, TB and AR with the excellent amount of bonus material blows anything the Stones have ever done).

I find it interesting that the very thing I've been wishing for regarding their leftovers, on a much smaller scale, created interest and excitement... yet they (Mick) can't be bothered unless UMe prods him to finish whatever - and even then he doesn't bother with the really good stuff.

The pulling of everything off YouTube shows that there's no need to prod Mick, just release the damn stuff. If they're worried about not making money from sales, which they don't need to worry about because there would hardly be any, they can make up for with ridiculously priced horrible t-shirts.

Lol.
Sorry.. but the Beatles are still winning seems such a ridiculous statement.
And all because somebody didn't pull their copywrited material off the interwebs confused smiley

Sounds like a whole load of butt-hurt to me. The race ended 50+ years ago when they gave up. Shame, because they were ahead at the time... winking smiley
Proving Mick's genius business savvy once again.. there are plenty of fans lining up to listen after a little taste....

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 8, 2021 05:33

MisterDDDD
GasLightStreet

Lol.
Sorry.. but the Beatles are still winning seems such a ridiculous statement.
And all because somebody didn't pull their copywrited material off the interwebs confused smiley

Sounds like a whole load of butt-hurt to me. The race ended 50+ years ago when they gave up. Shame, because they were ahead at the time... winking smiley
Proving Mick's genius business savvy once again.. there are plenty of fans lining up to listen after a little taste....

It's just a tad tongue in cheek. The basis is the unfinished/various takes/screwups/demos anthologies are still out there while the Stones have continued to finish a few things instead of just letting loose whatever. The recent boots just helped reveal that to be even more so.

LOL I don't have any THE BEATLES ARE BETTER, MAN! in comparing them to the Stones. I love both.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: March 13, 2021 00:42

Not sure if this has been posted here before?
The Nelson's (Willie, Lukas, Micha)
Wishing John Lennon a very blissful birthday on what would’ve been his 80th.

[www.facebook.com]

Date: March 13, 2021 00:47

Never saw that, thanks. thumbs up
Very nice version, and one of my all time favorite Lennon tunes...

Date: March 16, 2021 01:28

Ringo at 80 looking great last night at the Grammy's, and he borrows one of Keith's lines:
"After a year when we’ve all been Zooming in and Zooming out, it’s great to be here. In fact, it’s great to be anywhere..."

Peace and Love

Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: March 16, 2021 19:46

Ringo on "A Late Show With Stephen Colbert', March 15:

Date: March 19, 2021 20:19

New RINGO out yesterday:

Out Now: Ringo Starr Has a Blast with New ‘Zoom In’ EP ft. Pals Paul McCartney, Finneas, Sheryl Crow, Dave Grohl, Steve Lukather & More

RINGO

Zoom In is the title of the brand new EP from Ringo Starr out today, and it’s safe to say the Beatles legend made the most out its five new songs.
The following friends pop up on Ringo’s new tunes in one way or another:

Sir Paul McCartney, Joe Walsh, Finneas, Sheryl Crow, Chris Stapleton, Lenny Kravitz, Ben Harper, Dave Grohl, Jenny Lewis, Corinne Bailey Rae, Eric Burton, and Yola,
while the backing instrumentation is delivered via Steve Lukather of Toto, Benmont Tench of Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, Bruce Sugar, Nathan East, Charlie Bisharat, and Jacob Braun.
That’s a ton of fellow icons combining their talents into one project, and it’s a great listen from start to finish (though only being five songs runs rather short).

One of the pre-release songs shared from the EP was “Here’s to the Nights,” which was written by Diane Warren. The corresponding music video featured studio footage of Ringo putting the whole record together with his pals during the COVID-19 pandemic:

Date: March 20, 2021 23:31

From Variety - Ringo talking about his new EP, the pandemic, his hair, reggae, live shows, books, his various All Starr Bands,
working on more new material, the Get Back documentary, and the probability of a boxed set for the “Let It Be” album :

RINGO STARR

Date: March 21, 2021 01:16

Interesting article, its Tony Chin, not Chen, from the Soul Syndicate band he is referring to. And sounds like his hair is real which is pretty bloody amazing.

I always love hearing from Ringo.

jb

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 21, 2021 01:50

Hairball
From Variety - Ringo talking about his new EP, the pandemic, his hair, reggae, live shows, books, his various All Starr Bands,
working on more new material, the Get Back documentary, and the probability of a boxed set for the “Let It Be” album :

RINGO STARR

There may be enough good solo stuff for a Ringo boxset!

Well, maybe a 2 CD collection.....

Back in the 90's, I saw him with a great All-Starr Band (Walsh, Schmidt, Cummings, Rundgren, Edmunds, Zak, etc.).

And always loved the RINGO album. It and Band On The Run got a lot of spins at my house back then.

Date: March 23, 2021 02:13

Cool video of Ringo describing the process of working on his new EP with a little help from his friends:

Looking great and hard to believe he's 80!

Date: March 28, 2021 01:23

Nice new happy-go-lucky and uplifitng tune and video from Ringo - smiling smiley - featuring some nice slide guitar from Robbie Krieger.
Between Ringo and Paul, lots of new things to appreciate, and while not all great, some of it is...and at least they're doing it.
I imagine if John and George were still alive, they'd be recording and releasing new material also.
They're probably proud of their Beatles brethren while looking down from the heavens above.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 28, 2021 03:39

nice .... guess thats the word for it ....

gimmie tension

ROCKMAN

Date: March 28, 2021 04:22

Ringo doing some fine rocking roots Reggae, featuring Jamaican reggae legend Tony Chin on guitar.
Have to say quite an impressive reggae vibe from Ringo, and definietly not something I would have predicted or expected from him.
Now I want to light up a nice spliff, and hear an extended dub version. Go Ringo, mon.

"Just play some reggae music and it will be a better day, Toots, Bob Marley, roots rock reggae
There are days in troubled times, you lose yourself inside your worried mind
Turn up reggae music, some Burning Spear, you will feel the beat of life so clear..."

"I mean, the fun one was “Waiting for the Tide to Turn,” because it was reggae. (The EP’s co-producer) Bruce Sugar had put a lot of stuff on the first sort of verse, and then asked me to write it with him. So then we wrote the whole song, and then we found out that Tony Chin was in the Valley here in L.A. — the reggae guitar player who’s played with everybody from Bob Marley on. We got to know him because my son, Zak, is reggae-mad right now. And actually we did a few things for Toots’ (and the Maytals’) last album in this room, because Zak has the label and was producing. So it was the atmosphere of: Let’s make a reggae record… and I played reggae drums. I don’t know how you do that! I just do what I think of as reggae drums. But what was great was when Tony came in… “Yeah, mon.” He played great guitar for me — the four types of guitar. He said, “Hey mon, you played the drums?” I said, yeah, and he said, “Good drums, mon.” [Laughs.] So, my reggae paid off". - RINGO

Date: March 30, 2021 04:11

While the Stones continue to hibernate and stay out of the limelight, there's loads of interesting new Beatles stuff to keep us Stones/Beatles fans happy.

From CultureSonar:

Rick Rubin’s Take on Paul McCartney
by Will Wills
March 26, 2021

BEATLES

"It transcends everything. It’s much bigger than four kids from Liverpool.
For me, the Beatles are proof of the existence of God.
It’s so good and so far beyond everyone else that it’s not them".
- Rick Rubin

Several tributes to The Beatles will hit the airwaves this year including Peter Jackson’s biopic based on recordings made for an unaired 1970 special called Get Back, Mary McCartney’s release about the band’s Abbey Road album, and Paul McCartney’s autobiographical Lyrics. Add to that the release of McCartney III, Paul’s 18th solo item, and you’re probably thinking “that should be plenty.” But if like me, you can never get enough of The Beatles, famed record producer Rick Rubin is about to give us even more.

Slated for release as “coming soon,” a short trailer for the special was released in late 2020 on Paul McCartney’s YouTube channel providing a glimpse of what’s in store for lucky viewers. In the 90-second black-and-white video, Rubin and Macca are in a stark room that includes a playback /mixing board where they listen and comment on some Beatles’ classics like “Come Together” and “Lovely Rita,” often with Paul on drums or playing his classic Rickenbacker bass. McCartney can be heard joking that “We realized we were writing songs that were memorable, not because we wanted them to be memorable, but because we had to remember them.” A few Fab Four clips are interspersed along with snippets of Paul describing thoughts about the role of the bass in their music. It ends with the crescendo from “Live and Let Die” – fade to black.

Allegedly this marks the first time the original Abbey Road analog tapes have left that studio. The duo seems to be using these tapes because Paul and Rick are clearly isolating various instruments on the tracks, and discussing interesting thoughts on each one. However, for such a project, getting the right person in the driver’s seat is key. Rick Rubin was one of the key forces behind introducing the general public to rap music, including starting Def Jam Recordings and signing LL Cool J, Public Enemy, Run DMC, and The Beastie Boys. He produced Jay-Z’s The Black Album, an obvious reference to The Beatles’ White Album. Rubin has been nominated for over 20 Grammy Awards, winning 9 times, including several Albums of the Year. In 2007, he was also selected as one of Time’s “100 Most Influential People in the World.” So, this man has music creds. But does he have the respect for The Fab Four that would be needed to truly create a loving tribute to the talent at work? Well, when asked by The Daily Beast, “What is it about The Beatles? What made them work?”, his reply was, “It transcends everything. It’s much bigger than four kids from Liverpool. For me, the Beatles are proof of the existence of God. It’s so good and so far beyond everyone else that it’s not them.” That would be a “yes.”

Although we don’t know the release date yet, the documentary is planned to be delivered in six-parts and is being produced by Frank Marshall, who recently completed The Bee Gees: How Can You Mend a Broken Heart. Some sad day, there will be a time when no Beatles will be around. In the meantime, the more we can document the magic behind one of the greatest bands of all time – with the help of the founding members – the better.

-Will Wills

Trailer:

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: March 30, 2021 05:25

Hairball

Several tributes to The Beatles will hit the airwaves this year including Peter Jackson’s biopic based on recordings made for an unaired 1970 special called Get Back, Mary McCartney’s release about the band’s Abbey Road album

Ouch.

Peter Jackson's biopic is based on recordings for the RELEASED (not unaired) "Let it Be" film. (Long discussion on name of project, Phil Spector, George leaving the band, Billy Preston, etc). It must have been aired as I saw it in a cinema and have a DVD copy which I believe was taken from a rare Laserdisc release - so the quality is quite impressive.

Mary McCartney's documentary is about the Abbey Road STUDIO, not the Beatles' album.

Sigh.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: March 30, 2021 05:42

I could be wrong, or am reading it wrong, or the article from CultureSonar is wrong, but pretty sure the mention of Get Back
might be in reference to the unreleased/postponed new version of Let it Be, which is now set to be released in August.

The Beatles’ ‘Get Back’ Documentary: Everything You Need To Know

The forthcoming Peter Jackson-directed ‘The Beatles: Get Back’ documentary will offer a revelatory look at the band. Here’s what we know so far.
Published on March 22, 2021
By uDiscover Team

Get Back

At the beginning of 2019, Apple Corps Ltd and WingNut Films Ltd announced a new Beatles documentary, which would be based around 55 hours of previously-unreleased studio footage from the band’s 1969 “Get Back” and Let It Be sessions. Over the past year, new information has continued to drop about the film, which was helmed by the Academy Award-winning director Sir Peter Jackson. Initially slated for a September 2020 release, The Beatles: Get Back has been pushed to August 27, 2021, due to the pandemic.

As we await its premiere, here’s what we know so far about The Beatles: Get Back.

It was made with the full co-operation of the band
Both Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr have sung the film’s praises, while John Lennon’s widow, Yoko Ono Lennon, and George Harrison’s widow, Olivia Harrison, have also offered their full support of the project.

It will be the ultimate fly-on-the-wall experience
“It’s like a time machine transports us back to 1969, and we get to sit in the studio watching these four friends make great music together,” Peter Jackson has said. The footage used in Get Back was originally shot for Michael Lindsay-Hogg’s 1970 documentary, Let It Be, which captured intimate moments in the studio while the band rehearsed and recorded the songs for what would be their final album. The footage, now revisited by Jackson in a new light, is the only material of note that documents The Beatles at work in the studio.

It will feature the famous rooftop performance in its entirety
On 30 January 1969, The Beatles played a surprise performance on the roof of their Savile Row studio. Though footage of the live set has been well documented over the years, it has never been shown in its entirety. Jackson’s film will include the entire 42-minute performance.Ringo recently shared his recollections of that iconic performance with Variety: “We’d decided to play together, as a live band. And we did think of other venues, and then we thought, ‘Wait, let’s just go up on the roof.’ And Michael shot that stuff on the roof really great, with a lot of cameras.” While the original film showed roughly 20 minutes of the performance, Ringo shared that he was thrilled to see the set in its entirety, adding “it’s great.”

You can expect to hear new music
In addition to the 55 hours’ worth of film, Jackson is also working with 140 hours’ worth of audio recordings. Several of the songs culled during the sessions were included in the 1996 Anthology 3 compilation, which featured outtakes and demos from “The White Album”, Abbey Road and Let It Be. However, there is plenty of music that hasn’t been officially released.

It will also offer a chance to observe the band members’ development as solo artists. Many of the tracks that didn’t make it onto Let It Be were later developed and included on their solo albums, including the Paul McCartney-penned ‘Teddy Boy’, which appeared on his 1970 debut solo album, McCartney, and George Harrison’s ‘Hear Me Lord’ and ‘Isn’t It A Pity’, which were later released on his 1970 album, All Things Must Pass. John Lennon, meanwhile, can be heard working on ‘Gimme Some Truth’ and ‘Oh My Love’, which both appeared on 1971’s Imagine.

The band’s true relationship is revealed
While Lindsay-Hogg’s feature film offered an in-depth look at The Beatles’ sessions, it also revealed some of the tense moments in the studio. In many ways, it documents a band on the verge of a break-up. Get Back, in contrast, looks at the footage as a whole, and paints a very different picture of the band’s time together. In a recent interview on The Howard Stern Show, Paul McCartney said, “We’re obviously having fun together. You can see we respect each other and we’re making music together, and it’s a joy to see it unfold.”

Meanwhile, in a statement, Ringo recalled, “There was hours and hours of us just laughing and playing music… There was a lot of joy, and I think Peter will show that. I think this version will be a lot more peace and loving, like we really were.” Speaking to Variety, Ringo added that the original film, “focused only on the one down moment…Everybody knows my position. I thought the downer was much bigger than the rest of it (in Let It Be). I was there. There was lots of fun… I said, ‘I know there’s lots of humor there.’” “The reality is very different to the myth,” Jackson confirmed in a press release. “After reviewing all the footage and audio that Michael Lindsay-Hogg shot 18 months before they broke up, it’s simply an amazing historical treasure-trove. Sure, there’s moments of drama – but none of the discord this project has long been associated with.The film creates a cheerful counter-narrative to the Beatles’ 1970 swan song Let It Be film, which essentially documented the group’s breakup and is a rather downbeat experience. The new film feels completely different, with the four members laughing and clowning around in classic moptop fashion,” wrote Variety, who were able to view segments of the film.

And an exclusive sneak preview clip from Peter Jackson: Get Back

----------------------------------

As for the original Let it Be film, it used to be shown in cinemas all the time in the '70's as well as early cable tv channels late '70's/early '80's, and somewhere in the stash I have a boot dvd copy - maybe even a VHS version.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-30 06:10 by Hairball.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...161162163164165166167168169170171...LastNext
Current Page: 166 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1440
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home