Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...156157158159160161162163164165166...LastNext
Current Page: 161 of 223
Lennon knew about Jones ?????
Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: February 10, 2021 14:30

Over in the Beatles vs Stones thread Georgie48 has posted :

"Lennon knew about Jones before both the Rolling Stones and the Beatles were formed".

I have heard of this before, but cannot remember where..

Could someone offer some concrete evidence please.

Does Georgie48 mean Brian Jones or Paul Jones (born Paul Pond) ?
Does Georgie48 mean when Brian was playing Elmo Lewis ?
Does "knew about" imply they met ?

Any serious information about this would be very welcome.
Thanks.

Re: Lennon knew about Jones ?????
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 10, 2021 15:16

Also, it would depend on when one says The Beatles were formed.

I am currently playing Elmo Lewis.

Date: February 10, 2021 20:34

The Beatles and Stones first met on 14th April 1963 when The Beatles were in the audience for a Stones show (actually a dance) at the Crawdaddy Club in Richmond.

So come on Georgie48.......please explain how you are so certain that Lennon knew about Jones before either group was formed.

Or are you just taking the piss (as we say in England) ?

Look forward to hearing from you.............

Date: February 10, 2021 21:31

Maybe he knew of him? Haven't seen that documented, though.

However, according to Lennon they first met in "that place in Richmond" smiling smiley

“I spent a lot of time with Brian and Mick,” John said. “I admire them, you know. I dug them the first time I saw them in whatever that place is they came from, Richmond. I spent a lot of time with them, and it was great. We all used to just go around London in cars and meet each other and talk about music with the Animals and Eric [Burdon] and all that.”

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: February 10, 2021 21:55

Well, one thing is sure, neither of the two can confirm they knew each other, sadly smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-10 21:55 by Christiaan.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 10, 2021 22:03

Did John have a sister, maybe Brian dated her? smoking smiley

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 10, 2021 22:09

Was that before the 1792 Tour? grinning smiley

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: February 10, 2021 22:13

Kingbeebuzz
Over in the Beatles vs Stones thread Georgie48 has posted :

"Lennon knew about Jones before both the Rolling Stones and the Beatles were formed".

I have heard of this before, but cannot remember where..

Could someone offer some concrete evidence please.

Does Georgie48 mean Brian Jones or Paul Jones (born Paul Pond) ?
Does Georgie48 mean when Brian was playing Elmo Lewis ?
Does "knew about" imply they met ?

Any serious information about this would be very welcome.
Thanks.

"I have heard of this before, but cannot remember where .."

That fascinates me, Kingbeebuzz!

Someone long time ago was an IORR member and "disappeared" at some stage. I also try and look for that former member's alias and some others who responded here in those days. With "the Beatles were not formed, I mean that the name "The Beatles" and "Silver Beatles" did not yet exist. The Quarrymen clearly are not The Beatles.

I'm not the kind of person who "takes a piss on someone" (I spent about a year in Liverpool in 1971 and learned plenty of English expressions winking smiley). See me as a kind of "Watson" who tries to help a "Sherlock". The more "Watsons" the better for Sherlock cool smiley

Date: February 10, 2021 22:39

"The" piss winking smiley

Date: February 11, 2021 13:42

DandelionPowderman

Hi Bart,
You are a long time, diehard fan. Did you know that Lennon had (an) aunt(s)? The Stanley family. Did you know that Jones had an uncle?
"Watson" is doing a lot of research, but .... is weary about journalists following this and other sites. I don't mind journalists at all, but they have to contribute their part, if they are interested to make a "big time" story.
winking smiley

Date: February 11, 2021 14:01

Yeah, of course - Julia was a Stanley smiling smiley

Are you saying that Brian's uncle was related to the Stanleys?

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 11, 2021 14:13

georgie48
DandelionPowderman

Hi Bart,
You are a long time, diehard fan. Did you know that Lennon had (an) aunt(s)? The Stanley family. Did you know that Jones had an uncle?
"Watson" is doing a lot of research, but .... is weary about journalists following this and other sites. I don't mind journalists at all, but they have to contribute their part, if they are interested to make a "big time" story.
winking smiley

Lennon knowing of Brian Jones prior to the formation of The Beatles or The Stones would only be a "big time" story here and even then barely thread-worthy.

As Sherlock might say- You have a grand gift for silence, Watson.
Spill.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: February 11, 2021 14:45

MisterDDDD

Lennon knowing of Brian Jones prior to the formation of The Beatles or The Stones would only be a "big time" story here and even then barely thread-worthy.

This has already been discussed here in 2020 (and without a 'real' result) - [iorr.org] .

Date: February 11, 2021 16:31

Thank you Irix.......I knew I'd read something about this Lennon / Jones link before.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: February 12, 2021 02:20

Sounds like a good if fictional biopic.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: February 12, 2021 03:14

MisterDDDD

I'm sorry but I must disagree.

If a substantive link from (eg) 1962 or earlier is found, then that would be a VERY big time story in the history of popular music in the UK and the USA in the second half of the 20th Century.

But it's time for the folk who keep hinting at this to either piss or get off the pot. If you can't substantiate the hinted claim then you should stop wasting our time.

There would be a big difference between them being fifth cousins eight times removed on their mother's side (on the one hand), and them actually knowing and meeting. The former would win some of us a pub quiz some time, the latter would be taught in schools and universities as being significant. Which it would be.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 12, 2021 03:56

John and Brian knew each other and were in cahoots, and the two came up with a plan to dominate the world.
One cold foggy night in Liverpool (or maybe it was in London), they hatched their plan after a long night of drinking at the pub.
Each would form their own band, but first they flipped a coin to see who would get what band name - John won and picked the Beatles.
It was the first time the names Beatles vs. Rolling Stones would be up against each other, and the rest is history.
But...just imagine if John had picked the The Rolling Stones as the name of his band?!!!!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 12, 2021 04:03

CaptainCorella
MisterDDDD

If a substantive link from (eg) 1962 or earlier is found, then that would be a VERY big time story in the history of popular music in the UK and the USA in the second half of the 20th Century.

But it's time for the folk who keep hinting at this to either piss or get off the pot. If you can't substantiate the hinted claim then you should stop wasting our time.

There would be a big difference between them being fifth cousins eight times removed on their mother's side (on the one hand), and them actually knowing and meeting. The former would win some of us a pub quiz some time, the latter would be taught in schools and universities as being significant. Which it would be.

Fair.

Different than the "knowing of" the poster had stated.
I would alter my opinion if it they knew each other, but even then I don't believe it would reach the level of significant academic notation

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: February 12, 2021 06:33

georgie48
Kingbeebuzz

I'm not the kind of person who "takes a piss on someone" (I spent about a year in Liverpool in 1971 and learned plenty of English expressions winking smiley).

Actually the colloquial phrase in question is "Take the piss out of someone".

Separately you may "piss on their parade", which means to thoroughly spoil something.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: February 12, 2021 10:47

CaptainCorella
MisterDDDD

Thanks CC (not cynically meant). You made some points that add to my earlier remark about "aunt(s) and uncle". You know very well that in such a case we're not talking about "fifth cousins eight times removed on their mother's side ....". The "most easy" thing for me to do is to come over to the UK and file a request to city councels to get the facts hard on paper. Once the opportunity is there, I will off course. Anything that would come out of such a search off course will not be "simply fed to sensationalists". By the way, having read some earlier responses of you on this site on other subjects, gave me the feeling you have historical luggage on your back ... but I could be wrong off course.
My goal is not "trying to take the piss out of someone", but, without getting anyone into trouble (you wouldn't either, right?), to get some more deeper inside.
If anyone feels he/she is waisting his/her time they are free to ignore this thread at any time. There are a lot of threads that have my interest, but others I simply ignore, because indeed I don't want to waist time on that.

Posted by: paulspendel ()
Date: February 12, 2021 11:19

It's easy, any one can check on FreeBMD. I did. No connection in any reasonable genealogical degree between Jones/Simmonds/Lennon/Stanley. Another one of Georgie48's strange stories debunked.

Posted by: paulspendel ()
Date: February 12, 2021 11:28

I also debunked Georgie48's story that Dutch television ran a BBC interview with Thorogood/Wohlin on national tv the day after Brian died. He likes to throw in fake news and see what happens.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 12, 2021 11:35

uh-hah ...... interesting but oh so crazy ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 12, 2021 12:20

What was there to ‘know’ about Brian Jones, though, prior to him forming the Rolling Stones? Was he revered by his peers in the London blues-circles? A scene Lennon was not a part of? I thought he was just some bloke from Cheltenham, who had the foresight to place an advertisement in the music press? I suppose, prior to any formation, they may have bumped into each-other, but so what, exactly? Life is full of such unremarkable moments. Could someone elaborate a little? Is there some scandal?

Date: February 12, 2021 12:25

Rockman

uh-hah ...... interesting but oh so crazy ....

Yep, interesting because not entirely impossible, considering John Lennon's 'Norwegian' half-sister Victoria Elizabeth (born 19-Jun-1945, father a Welsh soldier, but then adopted by a Norwegian as Ingrid Pedersen) - Wikipedia.

John Lennon also had two other half-sisters (Julia Dykins *5-Mar-1947 and Jacqueline Dykins *26-Oct-1949), born after John's mother Julia Lennon met John Dykins - [News.BBC.co.uk] , Wikipedia.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-12 20:50 by Irix.

Date: February 12, 2021 13:00

Big Al

I suppose, prior to any formation, they may have bumped into each-other, but so what, exactly?

"Did you know that Lennon had (an) aunt(s)? The Stanley family. Did you know that Jones had an uncle?" - [iorr.org] .

Date: February 12, 2021 13:18

Irix
Big Al

I suppose, prior to any formation, they may have bumped into each-other, but so what, exactly?

"Did you know that Lennon had (an) aunt(s)? The Stanley family. Did you know that Jones had an uncle?" - [iorr.org] .

Ah, I see. Well, Stanley is a pretty common surname, but I suppose you never know! So, are we suggesting that Lennon and Brian Jones were cousins?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 12, 2021 13:44

Me and Mrs. Jones
We got a thing, goin' on
We both know that it's wrong
But it's much too strong
To let it go now ........................
S.A.G

ROCKMAN

Date: February 12, 2021 13:45

Big Al
Irix
Big Al

Ah, I see. Well, Stanley is a pretty common surname, but I suppose you never know! So, are we suggesting that Lennon and Brian Jones were cousins?

Not according to Paulspendel smiling smiley

It's easy, any one can check on FreeBMD. I did. No connection in any reasonable genealogical degree between Jones/Simmonds/Lennon/Stanley.

Date: February 12, 2021 14:21

DandelionPowderman
Big Al
Irix
Big Al

Not according to Paulspendel smiling smiley

It's easy, any one can check on FreeBMD. I did. No connection in any reasonable genealogical degree between Jones/Simmonds/Lennon/Stanley.

The mystery continues, then!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...156157158159160161162163164165166...LastNext
Current Page: 161 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1713
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home